• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger of Sword City |OT| Okay, it's been an hour. Are you dead yet?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
X0LNkmf.png

9ShR4Mf.png

VvPPmqa.png

KDRfp1n.png

Il5gBTA.png

These features were taken from an interview article with the creators of the game. If something seems a bit off, its due to my translations not being 100%. Also updated from actual experience playing the game currently.
*Updated 06/05/2014

• Life Points is the system that keeps characters alive, when you lose all life points your character can be lost or basically permadeath. Life points can be recovered but cost money, though older characters with a single life point, once you lose that, you lose the character also. So beware. Seems that also characters who will be recovering life points need rest time within the guild, so they have to be taken out of the party as they recover. There is a way to instantly recover, but it costs a lot more than the normal recovery process.
  • Age system ties into the Life Point system, the young characters have more Life Points but their stats increase during level ups are lower and less max cap for rolling stats points at start. Older characters have less life points, but their stats increase when leveling is much higher along with the initial bonus points you have to roll for at the start of the game.. Characters will not age as in other Wizardry type of titles with an age system, so everything is preset from the creation choices.
  • Players can level themselves up at anytime as long as EXP requirements are met. There is no automatic levelling or having to sleep in an inn to raise your level.
  • Sub members who are not part of the main adventuring party will gain EXP. Therefore its highly suggested to make all of your sub characters ahead of time.
  • When the main Party (PT) is eliminated its game over. There is no recovery system as in other Wizardry type of titles, Elminage being one example where you can send out another party to recover the bodies of the first.
  • There is no Thief / Rogue type of class. Skills for treasure hunting can be used for all classes if selected, allowing for people to focus more on a party selection that suits them better than always having to be forced to have a single rogue type of character in the party at all times. Though the related skills will take up a talent slot, so careful consideration needs to be made.
  • Magic will be un-usable again underwater, such as what was seen in Demon Gaze.
  • Dancer is the new class introduced to the series. Though possibly taking on the role of being one of the more important characters as its class specific abilities allows for recovery of morale. For those who plan on doing long treks through the dungeon having a dancer in the party will allow for that with its morale recovery skills. Can also use multiple items at once, which makes them highly useful for underwater dungeons where magic is unable to be deployed.
  • There are no save points in the dungeon, same goes for items / spells to exit the dungeon quickly. Seems that they were not kidding when they said the game was more designed for the core audience. Will have to see if this is correct when I play the game.
  • All characters start off with 2 skill slots, from lv 13 you will gain another and keep doing so till you have 7 total. Has to do with changing classes also I think. Each time you change class you can earn another skill slot. Total is 7. So 2 from the start then +5 from the 5 allocated class changes.
  • Rare Items can be fed to the Mumic to give the player another chance at a "re-roll" of the same unique item in the future. The purpose of this is, if you are unhappy with the + stats on your Unique Item (Bishoptl's Hammer of Banning +2) then you can feed it to the Mumic if you come across it in the dungeon, allowing for another chance for it to redrop with better stats. Though its all up to chance if the stats will be better or worse. Just as with Demon Gaze you only pick up rare items once and if you sell it or discard it by accident its gone forever.

IWYEovJ.png

wl0ft7L.png

NmY7K7p.png

Dm3q7qV.png

TbC7bIG.png

Uf2fIKv.png

qzQAIRy.png

DDeS7fL.png

2MMayXn.png

Currently from the info on the main HP these are the available classes in the game.
  • Fighter
  • Knight
  • Samurai
  • Wizard
  • Cleric
  • Ranger
  • Ninja
  • Dancer

iXnQ9tA.png

P4piYBI.png

*Updated 06/06/2014

m5ENV5q.png

#1:
Q: What type of game is this?
A: Its a first person dungeon crawler, based off of the Wizardry series. This company Experience Inc. first person dungeon crawlers is pretty much all they make.

#2:
Q: Im new to dungeon crawlers should I buy this game?
A: Have not had hands on with the game yet, but from what Ive read this game has been designed for the core players in mind. Will update this answer when the game comes out on the 5th. If you want something that has been released in the West by the same company check out "Demon Gaze". Click on the name to go to the |OT| for that game.

#3:
Q: Does this work on a US Xbox 360?
A: REGION LOCK confirmed as of 1200 06/05/2014 on my US system.

#4:
Q: Do I need to know Japanese to play this game?
A: Not exactly, but at the same time it would help or else you wouldnt know what the skill / item effects are. On top of missing out on the story. But if you just want a dungeon crawler to play by all means import away if you have a JP system or plan on getting the PC or PSV version.

#5:
Q: Any word on localization for the West?
Nothing yet currently. The Vita version is still far out, the devs have mentioned they are looking towards a Winter 2014 release date. And they have yet to release any of their PC titles in the West, so that kinda crosses off the August release of the JP PC version for potential localization for now.

#6:
Q: Does this game have any connection to other series?
A: Am not quite too sure on that asides from Charon appearing whos had fought against the Students of the Round, which were the heroes from a previous game released by Experience Inc. Asides from that not much other details are known if anything else is connected and by how much. Id like to say dont worry about it though.

owUA27b.png

WARNING GAME IS REGION LOCKED FOR US CONSOLES. With that being said only import if you have a JP console. No idea if it will work on Asian systems as am unable to test that myself personally. Just tested it on my US console.

http://www2.enekoshop.jp/shop/exp/ (The official shop, you can buy a visual book and poster here for the game)
http://www.amiami.com/
http://www.nippon-yasan.com/
http://www.play-asia.com/
*Disclaimer: Neither GAF nor myself has any sort of affiliation with the following sites above. These are just the most common ones members frequently speak of when it comes to online import shops and these links are for the convenience of the members who are still interested in importing the Japanese or Asian version of the game. Mods if you feel this is inappropriate let me know and will remove this section.

EevshBV.png

Thanks goes out to Experience Inc. for the resources used to make up the graphics in this OT.
Thanks to the dafont website for having an awesome selection of fonts to download and use, plus to the creators of the fonts used.
Scott Aneloski for his Cartographer Font
http://www.dafont.com/
*Have no official affiliation to Experience Inc. , dafont.com or Mr. Aneloski.

QAXptJP.png

Special Thanks goes out to NeoGAF's very own freelance translator Pepsiman for helping me out bigtime with taking a bunch of the load with translating stuff off my shoulders from the crazy schedule Ive been under. His handiwork is within the "About, Prologue, Strangers Guild, Royal Knights and Medel Company" Really appreciate it and thank you! Also for his great work with the subtitled trailer for the game.

Parakeetman

To those not familiar with my more recent |OT|s a lot of the information is behind the graphic links to save space. So click on the images to get more details on the factions, characters, and other parts.

The "Other" character section doesnt have sub information as the main HP did not also. So anything that you see the mouse turn into the click finger basically has more information behind it linking to the details image.

also let me know if I fucked up any of the links to stuff, since this thing is a nightmare in bb code. Have another copy with everything commented so I know whats what. Oh on top of if some of the translations sound weird for the character profiles, im not a writer so you will have to forgive me for that. also I HATE translating stuff haha.

Apologies for the delays with getting this up.

Awesome OT!
I'm hyped for this game on looks alone but now that I've played Demon Gaze it's uncontainable.

Really excited to see actual gameplay vids on youtube and watching people's teams get wiped out unexpectedly.

Parakeetman

Awesome OT!
I'm hyped for this game on looks alone but now that I've played Demon Gaze it's uncontainable.

Really excited to see actual gameplay vids on youtube and watching people's teams get wiped out unexpectedly.

Thanks!

Yeah I plan on recording stuff if possible. Am crossing my fingers that the game wont be region locked so I can use the US system that has a HDMI port as my JP one doesnt. D: Would hate to have to get another system just to record. If thats the case would have to wait till the PC version comes out to record stuff. As dont really want to go buying another system just for a single game to record as much as Id like to. D:

Parakeetman

Very nice OT, can't wait for this. Must resist buying PC version and wait for Vita.

Thanks!

Yeah seriously. If I wasnt so hell bent on playing it next week I would have waited for the PC version haha.

Nice looking OT, love the artwork for this game, really hoping it gets localised

Thanks!

Same hopefully it will get localized. Since looks too good to pass up. Anyone knows how well demon gaze did in the US?

Absolutely stunning OT. I know you were slaving over this and had forgone gaming and sleep, but it was well worth the wait. OTs of this quality actually help sell me on the game.

Nice first post. Honestly the art style has drawn me in and I'm really hoping there's a shot of the Vita version coming out in English. Looking forward to hear peoples' opinions on it.

If this is "better" than Demon Gaze it'll be fucking phenomenal. Demon Gaze is one of my favorite crawlers in a long ass time

NeededSleep

Fantastic OP.
Really looking forward to this coming state side, and this does not help!
Vita and PC is a double dip for me!

Vamphuntr

Really interested in this. I think I will be waiting for the Vita version unless the 360 is region free and goes on sale.

Art looka so good.

Can anyone confirm if the game is devoid of creepy perv stuff? It scared me away from Demon Gaze.

gngf123

Art for this game interests me much more than Demon Gaze, although I'll probably end up trying both eventually.

Hoping the PC version gets translated... Expecting the Vita version will.

dkoy

Wait is this by Experience? Why have I never heard of this?

nvm read the whole OT, though the playable races was already a dead give away. Parakeetman maybe you should have the developer name at the top in/around product information? For lazy people like me.

Nachos

Those are some purty typefaces, and it's awesome that you worked with Pepsi on this.

Now if only a localization announcement came out soon...

cj_iwakura

Really interested in this. I think I will be waiting for the Vita version unless the 360 is region free and goes on sale.

Art looka so good.

Can anyone confirm if the game is devoid of creepy perv stuff? It scared me away from Demon Gaze.

Based on the art style, I'd just about guarantee it, shy of the MC's obviously pandering outfit. :p
(I think it looks great, but let's be realistic here.)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Highly anticipating this one, will wait for Vita release though. Looking forward to impressions/reviews.

CrovaxPSO

Art looka so good.

The fanservice stuff shouldn't really scare you away from an otherwise fantastic game. It shows up in a few scenes at the inn that you can just skip through quickly if you really don't want to see it.

As for this game, in 4Gamer's play report they have this picture at the end (maybe spoilers?): http://www.4gamer.net/games/172/G017219/20140523081/SS/012.jpg

I wouldn't expect anything "worse" than that.

Parakeetman

Absolutely stunning OT. I know you were slaving over this and had forgone gaming and sleep, but it was well worth the wait. OTs of this quality actually help sell me on the game.

Thanks really do appreciate it. Yeah in multiple threads Ive been saying just how have been focusing on "trying" to get this OT done haha.

Wait is this by Experience? Why have I never heard of this?

nvm read the whole OT, though the playable races was already a dead give away. Parakeetman maybe you should have the developer name at the top in/around product information? For lazy people like me.

Its been one of their titles that they had on their roster in a long time, just that it went on backburner for a while. I forget what the name was before Stranger of Sword City, as it was something else before that. haha good point Im editing the Product Info graphic currently. Just noticed too that I dont have the EXP Inc. Logo anywhere. Thanks for pointing that out!

What? I thought this was like in a few months.

Edit: That Zettai Ryouiki.

Yeah the PC version is in 2 months. The 360 one comes out next week.

Art looka so good.

This one is part of their more series games in the title lineup sorta similar to Students of the Round and the Generation Xth series. Demon Gaze was actually the first of their titles that added the fanservice type of stuff to it. But even then it wasnt that bad considering, when put into comparison with other titles.

Those are some purty typefaces, and it's awesome that you worked with Pepsi on this.

Now if only a localization announcement came out soon...

Yep it was really cool that he helped out with those sections as seriously was busy as is with work related stuff. Huge load off my back with that. :)

CrovaxPSO

Its been one of their titles that they had on their roster in a long time, just that it went on backburner for a while. I forget what the name was before Stranger of Sword City, as it was something else before that.

Yeah the PC version is in 2 months. The 360 one comes out next week.

It used to be The Stranger in Alda, I think.

Parakeetman

360, Vita, and PC is probably the weirdest multiplat spread I've ever seen.

It originally was made for the 360.

The PC stuff is what they originally worked with as a developer.

The change to Vita was due to how successful Demon Gaze was.

This game got delayed for a long time which am sure added to the change in what they wanted to do with platforms. Personally the changes now is the best possible way they can make as much $$$ back with what they had invested initially with the X360 version. Its a good thing that they own the IP or else am sure they wouldnt have been able to do this otherwise. The platform change that is.

CrovaxPSO

No shit right? haha.

Esp considering the PC version is going to be the most expensive out of them all. D:

If by some miracle the Xbox version is region free I'll probably dig out my 360 and see if it still works. It sounded pretty bad the last time I used it. Winter isn't too far away, right?
It's too far away.

Parakeetman

Btw if the images look broken, its due to imgur being down currently, which is where all the resources are hosted.

Oh good the images are back still cant access the site though. Need to upload the updated information graphic.

Annnnnnnnd the images are dead again lol

hooboy their shit must really be fucked if not even the usual giraffe error page comes up.

Theres already a subbed version of the exact same video posted in the media section first video in case you missed it. :)

Highly anticipating this one, will wait for Vita release though. Looking forward to impressions/reviews.

At least in the mean time while waiting for the Vita version Operation Abyss and the updated version of Cross Blood Infinity Unlimited will be coming out in July and August.

Parakeetman

double post, man I wish this forum would just combine posts too close to eachother in time like some other do. D:

CrovaxPSO

At least in the mean time while waiting for the Vita version Operation Abyss and the updated version of Cross Blood Infinity Unlimited will be coming out in July and August.

If Operation Abyss wasn't coming out in July I'd definitely be getting the PC version of Stranger. Also, Elminage III and Gothic should arrive next week, and I'm still going through Moero Chronicle. Need maximum distractions.

Parakeetman

If Operation Abyss wasn't coming out in July I'd definitely be getting the PC version of Stranger. Also, Elminage III and Gothic should arrive next week, and I'm still going through Moero Chronicle. Need maximum distractions.

I saw that Dengeki and some other magazine had Moero Chronicle DLC haha oh yeah Famitsu I think.

Nice you are not going to have any free time with all those titles on your plate!

Im getting the PC ver just to collect, as how I did with Students of the Round.

CrovaxPSO

I saw that Dengeki and some other magazine had Moero Chronicle DLC haha oh yeah Famitsu I think.

Nice you are not going to have any free time with all those titles on your plate!

Im getting the PC ver just to collect, as how I did with Students of the Round.

Yeah, the DLC is the little monsters you can attach to the monster girls to give them different stat boosts or abilities. Not worth buying the magazines for IMO.

Parakeetman

Yeah, the DLC is the little monsters you can attach to the monster girls to give them different stat boosts or abilities. Not worth buying the magazines for IMO.

good thing you said that since I was starting at the mags tempted to buy it just to have the DLC content on the side incase I do decide to get the game. But most likely not as I hate anything that involves touch controls. I mean literally everything.

Btw you really want a good dungeon crawler thats challenging as fuck go look into the Dungeon Travelers 2. Fantastic voice work, dungeon design and combat. Filled with fanservice stuff, but the game is really solid. The folks behind it obviously love Wizardry type of games big time.

*Edit

Imgur is still dead D:

CrovaxPSO

good thing you said that since I was starting at the mags tempted to buy it just to have the DLC content on the side incase I do decide to get the game. But most likely not as I hate anything that involves touch controls. I mean literally everything.

Btw you really want a good dungeon crawler thats challenging as fuck go look into the Dungeon Travelers 2. Fantastic voice work, dungeon design and combat. Filled with fanservice stuff, but the game is really solid. The folks behind it obviously love Wizardry type of games big time.

*Edit

Imgur is still dead D:

I think I'll get Dungeon Travelers 2 the next time I have an order ready, maybe with Operation Abyss. I'll probably throw in Elminage II then as well. I only really wanted to get Elminage Gothic for now, but since I'm importing from Japan, shipping and Tenso fees don't make sense for a single game (might as well pay eBay prices). So I threw in Elminage III as well since it was also only around 700 yen.

Parakeetman

I think I'll get Dungeon Travelers 2 the next time I have an order ready, maybe with Operation Abyss. I'll probably throw in Elminage II then as well. I only really wanted to get Elminage Gothic for now, but since I'm importing from Japan, shipping and Tenso fees don't make sense for a single game (might as well pay eBay prices). So I threw in Elminage III as well since it was also only around 700 yen.

If you have a Vita using the JPSN you can get a digital copy that way too. Are you only looking for new copies or used in good condition is ok too? Since amazon japan has some used ones in 非常にいい condition for around a little more than 3k JPY.

Nice job on the OT! Will buy on the Vita if localized.

Thanks! Hopefully it will get localized after Operation Abyss. Which I would imagine is the next title for the West to ride the wave Demon Gaze gave them. Same artist / art style too will be a big plus for marketing also. Sorry the OT isnt exactly working right now due to imgur being dead for whatever reason D:

---

Dear imgur plz come back I need to fix the OT. D:

CrovaxPSO

If you have a Vita using the JPSN you can get a digital copy that way too. Are you only looking for new copies or used in good condition is ok too? Since amazon japan has some used ones in 非常にいい condition for around a little more than 3k JPY.

I bought a new copy of Gothic because it's ridiculously cheap, but a very good used copy of III. I only have the one Vita that I use with my main US account, so I could switch but it's kind of a hassle. I prefer physical anyway, so it works out.

Btw if the images look broken, its due to imgur being down currently, which is where all the resources are hosted.

Oh good the images are back still cant access the site though. Need to upload the updated information graphic.

Annnnnnnnd the images are dead again lol

hooboy their shit must really be fucked if not even the usual giraffe error page comes up.

Theres already a subbed version of the exact same video posted in the media section first video in case you missed it. :)

Sorry about that.. Looked in the Media section and it was blank for me ^ ^;

Parakeetman

It looks fine on my end. I'm on mobile GAF, if that matters.

hmm odd. i had cleared the cache on my end too and shits still fubar. Ill check it again when I get back from the hardware store. do hope its squared away by then since if not.

It+would+appear+that+way+till+they+found+the+razor+_4863648cce5bd882b140efb9f31973f7.gif

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, definitely picking up Operation Abyss as well. Was Cross Blood any good? Seems like there was very little fanfare for the original.

Top Bottom