• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY |OT| - "We're going to need another Timmy"

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
jC7o0AF.png

Since there have been more than enough chances for people to whine about the OPTIONAL art style selection for the localized release of this game, in this thread that type of posts which literally add nothing to the conversation will not be tolerated. You dont like something that is fine, but when there is an option to select whatever art style you prefer any time in game by accessing the options menu, makes crying about it pointless and just derails the whole thread.

Other disclaimer:
A lot of the content in this OT was reused from the JP release so just ignore small things like character names differing from the exact localization and such. Will try to see about switching out the videos as more become available. Didnt bother to add in the new character portraits either.

BZb0Tmb.png

9ShR4Mf.png

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY
Platform: Xbox One / PlayStation Vita / PC (Steam)
Release Date: 03-22-2016 (North America XBO)
03-24-2016 (Japan XBO)
03-29-2016 (Europe XBO)
04-26-2016 (North America PSV)
04-29-2016 (Europe PSV)
06-06-2016 (PC - Steam Version)
Genre: Dungeon RPG
Publisher: Experience Inc. (Xbox One NA/EU)
NIS America (PlayStation Vita NA/EU)
Player(s): 1
CERO: C (15 and up)
Rating(s): ESRB – Teen
PEGI - 16 (I think?)
Price:
Xbox One - Digital Download Only for North America + Europe – 40.49 USD
Folks in Europe use this Gematsu link for pricing / region availability info. Way too much to type otherwise. Pricing seems to be though whatever the regional equivalent of 40 USD is though.
Xbox One – Physical for Japan Only – 3,800 JPY (tax not included?)
PlayStation Vita Standard Edition NA – 39.99 USD
PlayStation Vita Limited Edition NA – 59.99 USD
PlayStation Vita Standard Edtion EU – 31.99 GBP (Amazon UK pricing)
PlayStation Vita Limited Edition EU – 54.99 GBP (Sold Out at NIS America Europe Store)
Steam - 39.99 USD (25% off 29.99 till June 14th, Same goes for other regions also it seems.)

Il5gBTA.png

• Visual Style select is the main new addition to the localized Western release of the game. Basically you can set the character art style to the original Yoko Tsukamoto artwork or the redone Oxijiyen artwork. This can be changed at any time when you can access the option screen, so its not as if you will be stuck with just one style upon selection.
    Since it seems the JP version starts with the Oxijiyen style selected, I would imagine the Western release will be the opposite with the Tsukamoto style on as default.
  • Life Points is the system that keeps characters alive, when you lose all life points your character can be lost or basically permadeath. Life points can be recovered but cost money, though older characters with a single life point, once you lose that, you lose the character also. So beware. Seems that also characters who will be recovering life points need rest time within the guild, so they have to be taken out of the party as they recover. There is a way to instantly recover, but it costs a lot more than the normal recovery process. At the start of the game it is pretty much impossible to afford the costs to do instant recovery and such. So it is far better just to have backup characters to act as replacements in the event if someone goes down.
    There are items that can recover life points, but usually has negative effects, such as you permanently lose 1 life point container. I think? there was an item that does not do that, but it is very rare and not something you want to be wasting early on.
  • Age system ties into the Life Point system, the young characters have more Life Points but their stats increase during level ups are lower and less max cap for rolling stats points at start. Older characters have less life points, but their stats increase when leveling is much higher along with the initial bonus points you have to roll for at the start of the game.. Characters will not age as in other Wizardry type of titles with an age system, so everything is preset from the creation choices.
  • Players can level themselves up at any time as long as EXP requirements are met. There is no automatic leveling or having to sleep in an inn to raise your level. You will only gain bonus stats point for when you level up your highest level class in the event if you had class changed.
  • Sub members who are not part of the main adventuring party will gain EXP. Therefore its highly suggested to make all of your sub characters ahead of time. Also small amounts of money will be earned.
  • When the main Party (PT) is eliminated its game over. There is no recovery system as in other Wizardry type of titles, Elminage being one example where you can send out another party to recover the bodies of the first.
  • There is no Thief / Rogue type of class. Skills for treasure hunting can be used for all classes if selected, allowing for people to focus more on a party selection that suits them better than always having to be forced to have a single rogue type of character in the party at all times. Though the related skills will take up a talent slot, so careful consideration needs to be made.
  • Magic will be un-usable again underwater, such as what was seen in Demon Gaze.
  • Dancer is the new class introduced to the series. Though possibly taking on the role of being one of the more important characters as its class specific abilities allows for recovery of morale. For those who plan on doing long treks through the dungeon having a dancer in the party will allow for that with its morale recovery skills. Can also use multiple items at once, which makes them highly useful for underwater dungeons where magic is unable to be deployed.
  • Similar to Demon Gaze and Operation Abyss, the Store in Stranger of Sword City will also have a limited stock of items. What that means is basically if you buy out all of a certain item it is sold out for good. I don’t recall the game restocking things? Or if it does might only be a 1 time thing. This is a more crucial thing for certain items sold within the store, so you need to be careful not to waste certain items. Otherwise you will be stuck trying to rely on the RNG Gods to give you drops from random treasures spawns in the dungeon or drops from battle.
  • There are no save points in the dungeon spells to exit the dungeon quickly. There are items such as the butterfly wing? I think it was, but they are very expensive and highly limited in numbers. Butterfly nests that appear at specific locations in the dungeon also can warp the player out of the dungeon if used.
  • All characters start off with 2 skill slots, from lv 13 you will gain another and keep doing so till you have 7 total. Each time you change into a new class, once you get to lv 13 with it you will earn another skill slot.
  • Rare Items can be fed to the Mumic to give the player another chance at a "re-roll" of the same unique item in the future. The purpose of this is, if you are unhappy with the + stats on your Unique Item (Bishoptl's Hammer of Banning +2) then you can feed it to the Mumic if you come across it in the dungeon, allowing for another chance for it to redrop with better stats. Though its all up to chance if the stats will be better or worse. Just as with Demon Gaze you only pick up rare items once and if you sell it or discard it by accident its gone forever.

IWYEovJ.png

wl0ft7L.png

NmY7K7p.png

Dm3q7qV.png

TbC7bIG.png

Uf2fIKv.png

qzQAIRy.png

DDeS7fL.png

2MMayXn.png

• Fighter
  • Knight
  • Samurai
  • Wizard
  • Cleric
  • Ranger
  • Ninja
  • Dancer

iXnQ9tA.png

1st Official Trailer - Narrated by Anna
2nd Official Trailer - Yoko Tsukamoto Style
2nd Official Trailer - Oxijiyen Style
3rd Official Trailer - Yoko Tsukamoto Style Opening Movie
3rd Official Trailer - Oxijiyen Style Opening Movie
Character Portraits - Yoko Tsukamoto, Raita Kazama
Character Portraits - Oxijiyen, Toridamono, Mogeo Fuji
Entaku no Seito - Character Portraits - Satomi Murakami
Stranger of Sword City (Vita) video preview! :: Michibiku

P4piYBI.png

*recordings from the 360 Japanese version.

m5ENV5q.png

#0:
Q: What is the difference between the Xbox One and Vita version?
A: It's minor stuff such as certain lineage species are different and the end dungeon I think. Like one example is one particular boss on the vita version is a Minotaur, while the Xbox (360 / One) and PC it is some sort of Giant. In regards to the dungeon White vs. Black dont remember if there were any actual design differences with the layout. Might have to ask Dorarnae.

#1:
Q: What type of game is this?
A: Its a first person dungeon crawler, based off of the Wizardry series. The developer Experience Inc. specializes in Dungeon RPGs and has quite the long history of working on them, both within Experience Inc. and their past work history also.

#2:
Q: Im new to dungeon crawlers should I buy this game?
A: This game will be slightly harder than other dungeon crawlers, the reason being is that there is perma-death for your characters with the life point system. Though for those who want a more serious story and not filled with fanservice, this title might just be what you are looking for in a DRPG. But once again expect the game to not hold your hand as this title was made specifically for the more core audience is what the company itself had stated.

#3:
Q: Does the Japanese Xbox One version contain English subtitles?
A: Yes the official word from the Exp Inc. Twitter is that apparently the Japanese physical version of the game will contain settings in the options to change the game text into the localized English.

#4:
Q: Is this game dubbed?
A: The official statement is that the game itself is Japanese voices with localized English text.

#5:
Q: Who did the English localization for the Xbox One version?
A: Do not believe we ever got an official statement on that. Though one can imagine it would be using the same text as the NIS America Vita version, otherwise it would be a waste of $$$ in terms of budget and discrepancies between two localized versions could cause image issues between both involved parties. Since they have not answered directly, that must mean that it is sharing the NIS America done localized text, otherwise am sure we would have gotten a direct answer.

#6:
Q: Does this game have any connection to other series?
A: The world itself is connected with the same one that appears in both “Entaku no Seito: Students of Round” and “Demon Gaze”. Timeline wise it would follow Entaku no Seito: Students of Round -> Stranger of Sword City -> Demon Gaze.
Also some folks are calling this an indirect relation to Students of Round due to the characters that appear in the game. Although if you have not played it due to having been only released in Japan you are not missing out on anything so do not worry.
#6:
Q: How long is this game? Also how long would it take to get full achievements / platinum the title?
A: Official word says around 30-40 hours for the main story depending and to get full achievements / platinum can take from 50 to 100 hours depending on ones luck.

#7:
Q: Is there a achievements or trophy list?
A: Yes there is one, though to warn everyone in advance it the list contains spoilers as the hidden trophies are all displayed which are related to the main story progression. So highly suggest against looking at the list ahead of time. I think? the trophies between the XBO and PSV versions should be the same, since all we have right now is the trophy list for the Vita version.
The trophy list follows below but once again it CONTAINS SPOILERS

owUA27b.png

For those who want the JP physical Xbox One version use the following import sites below.
AmiAmi
Nippon-Yasan
CD Japan

For those looking for the Vita version will just leave the NIS America store links for NA / EU
*You people should be smart enough to find alternatives if you do not want to use the official store.
NIS America Online Store
NIS America – Europe Online Store
Steam Store Page

*Disclaimer: Neither GAF nor myself has any sort of affiliation with the following sites above. These are just the most common ones members frequently speak of when it comes to online import shops and these links are for the convenience of the members who are still interested in importing the Japanese version of the game. Mods if you feel this is inappropriate let me know and will remove this section.

EevshBV.png

Thanks goes out to Experience Inc. for the resources used to make up the graphics in this OT.
Thanks to the dafont website for having an awesome selection of fonts to download and use, plus to the creators of the fonts used.
Scott Aneloski for his Cartographer Font
http://www.dafont.com/

QAXptJP.png

Special Thanks goes out to NeoGAF's very own freelance translator Pepsiman for helping me out bigtime with taking a bunch of the load with translating stuff off my shoulders from the crazy schedule Ive been under. His handiwork is within the "About, Prologue, Strangers Guild, Royal Knights and Medel Company" Really appreciate it and thank you! Also for his great work with the subtitled trailer for the game.

Luigi87

Nice OT
Where's the anime! lol

Another NISA releasing that's snuck up though. They've so many coming... As far as dungeon crawlers go though, this one looks good.

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
Good job with the OT! I'm kinda looking forward to this one, but I'm not sold yet on it, mostly due to permadeath ...

Parakeetman

Nice OT. I'm split on this. Not sure if I want to snag this version, or wait until the vita release...

Thanks!

Seems like folks who want a physical version are just ordering the JP one since the Exp Inc official twitter confirmed English options finally. Others who want to play on the go are going to get the Vita one. So guess it just depends on how you want to play.

Nice OT
Where's the anime! lol

Thanks!

Another NISA releasing that's snuck up though. They've so many coming... As far as dungeon crawlers go though, this one looks good.

Right now would take a good amount of time to resize everything and make the icons match the stuff used in this OT. Since it seems like they went a totally different design from their original HP stuff. Which is what the NIS America page is based off of.

The new page that contains the other art style and whatnots.
http://drpg-sosc.com/

Good job with the OT! I'm kinda looking forward to this one, but I'm not sold yet on it, mostly due to permadeath ...

Thanks!

Yeah the permadeath stuff can be a bit of a problem if you make characters with 1 LP. But asides from that its not too bad, unless you are running with characters that are knocked down to 1 LP.

The recovery time does take a while and most of the time you wont be able to afford the quick recovery since the cost is insane lol. Though they said that was due to them wanting people to have to use their pool of sub party members.

But yeah getting unlucky which does happen a lot in these types of games can set you back a bit as we can only save at the Strangers Guild. Kinda wished the Butterfly Nests acted as save points also as one of the options besides escape or kill. So reloading a lot can potentially be something that folks will do once you reach a certain point in the game and your characters have become fairly customized with the class change system. D:

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Awesome OT :)

"one particular boss on the vita version is a Minotaur, while the Xbox (360 / One) and PC it is some sort of Giant"

Vita superior version confirmed :)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Sorry to bring up platforms, but I was under the impression that this was headed to PC as well. Is that no longer the case or is it just a later release?

Zhao_Yun

Pre-ordered the Vita version so I'll have to wait a bit longer, but I hope those on XONE will enjoy this game.

Sorry to bring up platforms, but I was under the impression that this was headed to PC as well. Is that no longer the case or is it just a later release?

I think there was a leaked steamdb entry, but nothing official yet.

Parakeetman

Still trying to fix some of the vid links currently to point towards the new Xbox One trailers.

I heard that Amazon Japan doesn't ship the Xbox One physical version to the US, by the way.

Isnt that due to it still being in pre-order status? Guess we will find out this Thursday when it goes on sale as a normal product?

NIS America had made a statement saying that basically they just put it through the ESRB process just because its easier to do that now rather than later, but does not confirm that there will actually be any PC version.

Though seeing how NIS America is into doing PC releases who knows in the future. Though since they did talk about that and were able to go through the process on it must mean that they have the rights for the PC version also in the event if they decide to do it?

Will be getting the Vita version myself. Was originally turned off by the perma death until I thought about it enough and decided I like these games hard, rather than when they hold your hand for most of it. I mean I'm not 120 hours into Dungeon Travelers just because of the fanservice appeal that wore off 10 hours in, I like the difficulty that the game isn't afraid to throw at me, which will only get harder as I progress more.

So what if characters die and I decide to reload a save 2 hours back, it tells me that it's time to get good and what I should work on for next time.

Parakeetman

Will be getting the Vita version myself. Was originally turned off by the perma death until I thought about it enough and decided I like these games hard, rather than when they hold your hand for most of it. I mean I'm not 120 hours into Dungeon Travelers just because of the fanservice appeal that wore off 10 hours in, I like the difficulty that the game isn't afraid to throw at me, which will only get harder as I progress more.

So what if characters die and I decide to reload a save 2 hours back, it tells me that it's time to get good and what I should work on for next time.

One thing though that I can tell you from experience is that just some enemies will just wipe someone out due to bad luck like most Wiz-like titles lol. So just get ready for that D: Then again its my fault for having multiple characters with 1 LP.

Some other useful info.

Ol4xpU3.png

Max Stats = Starting racial stats value + 20 for 1st Playthrough
Max Stats = Starting racial stats value + 30 for 2nd Playthrough.

In regards to age general breakdown
10~19 Years:Max LP 3、Lowest Bonus Pts 3
20~39 Years:Max LP 2、Lowest Bonus Pts 5
40~59 Years:Max LP 2、Lowest Bonus Pts 7
60~99 Years:Max LP 1、Lowest Bonus Pts 10

Parakeetman

Waiting on a physical rental from Vita. If I like it enough, I might grab digitally for the XB1. $40 is too steep for me until I've tried it :p

They said there will be an 8 hour free trial on the XBO that carries over saved data. Always appreciate it when demos have that as it kinda makes it harder to not buy the game if you have data for it lol.

I dont even think they made a demo for the JP version. Wait the PC version might have had a demo I think, but not sure about the Vita.

Nice OT.

Pre-ordered it on Xbox One already since it has $10 off for pre-orders.

It is the last day to pre-order it for $30.5 while $40.5 on release date.

Parakeetman

Pre-ordered it on Xbox One already since it has $10 off for pre-orders.

It is the last day to pre-order it for $30.5 while $40.5 on release date.

Thanks!

Oh shit thats right. Had forgotten to pre-order it as didnt have any points on my XBO when was looking at it after the announcement of that went live. D: Then again grabbing the JP version anyways lol. Considering I have the X360 / PC and Vita version am in no real rush to get started yet again.

Some of the best art I've seen in a Japanese developer RPG in quite some time, imo. Getting the Vita version when it comes out.

Parakeetman

Some of the best art I've seen in a Japanese developer RPG in quite some time, imo. Getting the Vita version when it comes out.

Id really like to see an AAA JP title be done with her character artwork turned into actual 3d models in a game.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

For what it's worth, the hardest parts in this are harder than the hardest parts of DT2 imo (had fairly optimal party setups for both). I ended up dropping the game near the end due to a high difficulty dungeon that I had to re-traverse from scratch each time I died to the boss since there's no saving inside dungeons. Otherwise still a pretty fun game.

Parakeetman

You know the artist's name? Please do tell. Has she ever released any artbooks?

Its in the OT.

Basically you can set the character art style to the original Yoko Tsukamoto artwork

Am not sure if shes released any artbooks of her own. Though do know her artwork is sometimes in artbooks of projects she has been a part of. Such as Xenoblade X.

Heres an old HP of hers
http://yokotyo.sub.jp/

Oh yeah thats right. The Entaku no Seito - Students of Round art book has her monster designs in them.

The Stranger of Sword City - Art book has her monster and character designs in them.

So I suppose those would be 2 art books with her stuff in it. Tried a search and did not find any thing else that directly contains her work in it.

DTJAAAAM

Pre-ordered the game for Vita and the digital and physical Xbox One versions. Really hoping I don't end up regretting that, haha.

Parakeetman

I wish the Vita version came out tomorrow too :(

I kinda wonder why there was no Vita demo as would have made for a nice bit of a way to spend time waiting as it got delayed to April. But then again at least you folks get the choice of a physical copy / LE in NA / EU.

Since in Japan we never got any sort of LE outside of the first print X360 and PC versions which came with the OST packed in it. The artbook was sold separately on the official store also.

For what it's worth, the hardest parts in this are harder than the hardest parts of DT2 imo (had fairly optimal party setups for both). I ended up dropping the game near the end due to a high difficulty dungeon that I had to re-traverse from scratch each time I died to the boss since there's no saving inside dungeons. Otherwise still a pretty fun game.

Did the rabbit slap you around too? ( ÒㅅÓ)

cireza

It looks like I can't preorder it from amazon.co.jp. That's strange. I can order Raiden V if I want, but not preorder this one :eek:

Parakeetman

It looks like I can't preorder it from amazon.co.jp. That's strange. I can order Raiden V if I want, but not preorder this one :eek:

Yeah it seems pre-orders dont work. So we will have to have someone test it out once it goes live this Thurs.

Raiden V is already out so that must be why you can order it.

Uh Oh.

DT2 was a pretty rough ride for me (still beat it), so I dunno if I'll be able to handle this one. No saving inside dungeons is not something I'm used to in D-RPGs. I guess I'll find out next month when the Vita version hits.

I own an Xbox1 but I had to get that LE. I wonder when the PC version is supposed to hit.

Parakeetman

Uh Oh.

DT2 was a pretty rough ride for me (still beat it), so I dunno if I'll be able to handle this one. I guess I'll find out next month when the Vita version hits.

I own an Xbox1 but I had to get that LE. I wonder when the PC version is supposed to hit.

Its more some enemies are insane with the 1 shots on occasion. Or do more damage than characters have HP depending lol.

Its why using the class change system helps a lot as it gives you a bonus to HP gain vs a character that is not classed up at all. The down side is the amount of time reinvesting into said character to get it back up to speed with levels. As each time you class change your current level is halved.

Ok thanks for the clarification.

My guess why they dont let foreign accounts pre-order stuff yet, is as to not mess with the domestic market for initial launches. As we already have problems as is with certain titles and preorders vanishing like nothing. EOV is a current example with the LE of that. In the past Fire Emblem Fates LE

Velkyn

I can see myself picking this on Xbox over vita; the only time I play handhelds is on commutes, and I have way, way too many commute games already. Hype to give it a shot tomorrow during the 8 hour trial and see if it's what I think it is. If it's as good as the Wizardry series, I'm totally on board.

Ended up going with an import copy of the physical Japanese release. All in all the game was about the same price as the digital release here (CDN dollar) so I figured the novelty of importing a Japanese Xbox One RPG was worth the couple bucks difference.

Parakeetman

I can see myself picking this on Xbox over vita; the only time I play handhelds is on commutes, and I have way, way too many commute games already. Hype to give it a shot tomorrow during the 8 hour trial and see if it's what I think it is. If it's as good as the Wizardry series, I'm totally on board.

One thing for sure is the class change system allows you to really tailor your characters a bit more. Also create some hilarious OP characters in the sense of what they are able to do. Though getting them to that point will take some serious grinding.

But its a nice change from the usual of being stuck in a specific class as the pick and choose skills to attach onto the character is interesting. Though you do need to work for it through gaining all that exp back and unlocking more skills / skill slots.

Great looking OT! I'm subbing for the Vita release. Hope everyone playing on XBO has fun!

Thanks! Im rather curious if a market even exists on the XBO. Since dont really think MS in the West got anything like this before. In Japan on the 360 we had a bunch of other titles, but nothing really for the US. That and for whatever reason I keep thinking everyone on the XBO will be playing either The Division or Dark Souls 3 lol.

Parakeetman

Oh hey that's cool, I'll keep my eye out then.

Not the pajamas

The other weird thing is that you can actually get achievements from trials. Had no idea that was a thing. Then again never did play any free trials.

-----

On topic of HD space seems that the game will take up 3.05 GB.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My guess why they dont let foreign accounts pre-order stuff yet, is as to not mess with the domestic market for initial launches. As we already have problems as is with certain titles and preorders vanishing like nothing. EOV is a current example with the LE of that. In the past Fire Emblem Fates LE
FWIW, it let me preorder Project Diva X, but not SoSC. I'm guessing they have some attribute on the items... I gave up and ordered this digitally for $30 since I have the Vita LE preordered.

Parakeetman

FWIW, it let me preorder Project Diva X, but not SoSC. I'm guessing they have some attribute on the items... I gave up and ordered this digitally for $30 since I have the Vita LE preordered.

Hmm that is odd then. :/

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Did the rabbit slap you around too? ( ÒㅅÓ)
Don't think I ever met it, though I've seen how difficult it is lol. It was the
anti spell
part of the final or penultimate dungeon. Cleared the other two parts but kept wiping there.

Uh Oh.

DT2 was a pretty rough ride for me (still beat it), so I dunno if I'll be able to handle this one. No saving inside dungeons is not something I'm used to in D-RPGs. I guess I'll find out next month when the Vita version hits.

There are definitely some luck based moments where you'll get oneshot due to no fault of your own as parakeet mentioned. Overall I think I could probably have beaten the part I stopped at if I banged my head against it some more, but it was at a time where I was trying to get through my backlog and figured the time would be better spent moving on to other games.

Its more some enemies are insane with the 1 shots on occasion. Or do more damage than characters have HP depending lol.

Oh...goodie.

Guess I'm going to be doing a lot of class-change grinding. At least it'll give me a chance to re-read Three Kingdoms.

There are definitely some luck based moments where you'll get oneshot due to no fault of your own as parakeet mentioned.

I'm fine with stuff like that in the Elminage and other similar games, because at least you can save anywhere. Tale of the Forsaken Land didn't have free-saving or a teleport spell, but it was balanced out by fair enemy encounters.
It just seems odd that SOSC doesn't have dungeon-saving, but it has a life-point system, and a sizable % of one-shots.

Off-topic: I really should be using the next 30 days to try and beat Operation Abyss. I got side-tracked due to DT2 being released shortly afterwards.

Top Bottom