• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY |OT| - "We're going to need another Timmy"

RedBoot

US version appears to have the anime portraits selected by default, so be sure to switch those when you boot up if you're so inclined.

Also, I swear it changed them back to the anime portraits on me when I first got to Sword City. Not sure if that's a bug, or if I did it myself by accident.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
have my copy so might check it out tonight if there is time. still busy with guests which is why have been stuck with handhelds for a while.

I should make some stupid pt like dorarnae with his migmy plus hero pt lol

Dorarnae

have my copy so might check it out tonight if there is time. still busy with guests which is why have been stuck with handhelds for a while.

I should make some stupid pt like dorarnae with his migmy plus hero pt lol

lol it was great. I am surprised how well I did overall but there was some scary moment. not sure it's the best idea to do that on your first playthrough though, that requiem or grand cross spell... lol

RedBoot

The "training" quest is actually pretty rough. Once you go underground, the fixed battles can vary between 3 lv7 pushovers to 9 enemies including 3 lv21 magic-users. Had two characters go down before I used the Divine Escape ability and ran back to town.

I think the best way to approach that quest is to grind a bit on the first floor, with a focus on using the Hide command to ambush enemies for equipment. Managed to get a really solid bow that way (which is a bit troublesome since I hadn't initially planned on using a Ranger). Just because they call it a training quest doesn't mean you can clear it in one go.

Also, having backup characters ready for when your mains have to rest is really necessary. It's taking 10-14 battles for people to recover at first.

(Having tons of fun with the game though. I'll have more time to play it over the next few days, so I can actually start making progress)

Parakeetman

lol it was great. I am surprised how well I did overall but there was some scary moment. not sure it's the best idea to do that on your first playthrough though, that requiem or grand cross spell... lol

Yeah I dont think there is any other sensible challenges you can attempt past a migmy party unless you go and make every character a mismatched race on purpose though the migmy life restrictions are bad enough

The "training" quest is actually pretty rough. Once you go underground, the fixed battles can vary between 3 lv7 pushovers to 9 enemies including 3 lv21 magic-users. Had two characters go down before I used the Divine Escape ability and ran back to town.

I think the best way to approach that quest is to grind a bit on the first floor, with a focus on using the Hide command to ambush enemies for equipment. Managed to get a really solid bow that way (which is a bit troublesome since I hadn't initially planned on using a Ranger). Just because they call it a training quest doesn't mean you can clear it in one go.

Also, having backup characters ready for when your mains have to rest is really necessary. It's taking 10-14 battles for people to recover at first.

(Having tons of fun with the game though. I'll have more time to play it over the next few days, so I can actually start making progress)

Yeah that underground loc, those skeletons with the axe in their head are the worst by far since they were the worst, since those bastards hit insanely hard for whatever reason. Oh yeah and like you mentioned if you get a ton of those casters the female fairies oh man that usually does not go well either but at least it does not generally end with a dead character in 1 round.

The ranger is pretty useful for sure as it makes for a nice damage dealer but man lord have mercy if it gets targeted... I should know since I ran a 1 LP ranger. good times but the damage dealt was the highest on the team.

Dorarnae

Yeah I dont think there is any other sensible challenges you can attempt past a migmy party unless you go and make every character a mismatched race on purpose though the migmy life restrictions are bad enough

well I was missing the item that raise monster lvl. would of been crazy with that I think hehe.

Shizuka

My main character dies and all my money is drained. Isn't there another way to revive it? How am I supposed to gather money if this happens even just once in awhile?

Parakeetman

well I was missing the item that raise monster lvl. would of been crazy with that I think hehe.

yeah that item makes some early boss fights like the heads near impossible without classing up first just due to how hard they hit. the higher level also causes things lije requiem to proc more it seems

Dorarnae

My main character dies and all my money is drained. Isn't there another way to revive it? How am I supposed to gather money if this happens even just once in awhile?

you don't really need money in the game except for buying maybe a few items later or changing class(which isn't really expensive). don't worry too much about money.

RedBoot

Yeah, on the main character reviving thing, it'll immediately drain your money right as you click the option, no confirmation or options or anything. It costs 3000 gold (I think) to revive a normal character, so it's probably the same for the main. So I'd say if the MC gets knocked out early on, just reset. :p

Death penalties are serious here. Not only did it take 2 game-days to revive a few party members (which is the free option, about 2 game-hours pass per fight, I think this increases as the dungeons get harder at least), but after they're revived, it'll take another 6-7 days to restore a life point. One of my fighters is probably going to be off the team for a dungeon or two.

I did manage to finish the training quest, at least. There's a reason that the first Divinity ability you get is a free retreat…you'll need it. I managed to get past the varying difficulties of the fixed fights by just running if the enemies were too tough. I've got the Lineage bounty sheet now, but I'm going to gather some new equipment before I try that (since the underground has a few new hiding spots).

I just got Dark Souls III so I'll be tied up for a while, but I've had my eye on this one for a long time because of the great art style. Unfortunately, I always burn out on dungeon crawlers before I finish them, so I'll check this out when it inevitably goes on sale. I'll be watching this thread to see how the early adopters like the game though, I hope it does well.

TheYanger

I didn't realize this had an 8 hour trial. Man, 4 hours apssed by in the blink of an eye. It's been a while since I got into a dungeon crawler of this nature, but this game is freaking awesome. I'm sure I'm screwing my characters up bigtime, but so far it's been tough but fair difficulty-wise. The very beginning feels rough, but you're basically meant to die while you have Riu with you (she auto rezzes you after all) and then after grinding a little bit early on it's not required much of that since. I'm still only like level 8-9 of course.

Parakeetman

Sorry, I meant the Xbox One version from Amazon Japan.

yeah i heard it cant be bought overseas via amazon jp a friend tried it out

also heard that apparently its something amazon is doing of their own accord so its not like they went and asked pubs ahead of time about if they wanted it to be able to be sent to the us or not. So that would mean potentially amazon has their own guidelines for what can / cant be sent which would be stupid if so seeing how random it appears to be

I didn't realize this had an 8 hour trial. Man, 4 hours apssed by in the blink of an eye. It's been a while since I got into a dungeon crawler of this nature, but this game is freaking awesome. I'm sure I'm screwing my characters up bigtime, but so far it's been tough but fair difficulty-wise. The very beginning feels rough, but you're basically meant to die while you have Riu with you (she auto rezzes you after all) and then after grinding a little bit early on it's not required much of that since. I'm still only like level 8-9 of course.

Since I was unfamiliar with how timed trials worked and checked the official MS website apparently the timer still counts down if you are pausing the game to look through the main xbox menus and such. So only way to stop the clock is shut down the game totally.

Yeah the start is rough due to the poor equipment you have but as you start to fill out it gets better, till you get to your next dungeon then the running and screaming starts all over again lol

Ricker

Liking the long trial for this on the X1,even though some stuff I am not sure of,like why there is 2 rows of my characters in some menu screens,why one of my character can only defend etc etc...might grab it to keep playing once the trial ends.

Parakeetman

Liking the long trial for this on the X1,even though some stuff I am not sure of,like why there is 2 rows of my characters in some menu screens,why one of my character can only defend etc etc...might grab it to keep playing once the trial ends.

Usually when a character only can defend it means that either an weapon is not equipped or it does not have the proper range to allow them to attack.

which menu screen are you talking about in particular? only one that pops into my head instantly is the party setup one with the front / back row.

Other surprising thing was how you can keep achievements earned. Did not know demos did that.

TheYanger

yeah i heard it cant be bought overseas via amazon jp a friend tried it out

also heard that apparently its something amazon is doing of their own accord so its not like they went and asked pubs ahead of time about if they wanted it to be able to be sent to the us or not. So that would mean potentially amazon has their own guidelines for what can / cant be sent which would be stupid if so seeing how random it appears to be

Since I was unfamiliar with how timed trials worked and checked the official MS website apparently the timer still counts down if you are pausing the game to look through the main xbox menus and such. So only way to stop the clock is shut down the game totally.

Yeah the start is rough due to the poor equipment you have but as you start to fill out it gets better, till you get to your next dungeon then the running and screaming starts all over again lol
Yeah I have been manually quitting the application for that reason, I'm over six hours already though =( game is very good. I half wish there was a sec sent faq out there but I'm also kind of glad I get to just experiment with everything myself. I'm sure my stats are all kinds of fucked but it never feels like you could permanently screw yourself so I don't mind. The only thing I wonder about really is killing/using butterflies I know you get a load of xp (tried one and reloaded after) but I just get the little sister bioshock vibe so I'm just not using them at all atm.

Parakeetman

Yeah I have been manually quitting the application for that reason, I'm over six hours already though =( game is very good. I half wish there was a sec sent faq out there but I'm also kind of glad I get to just experiment with everything myself. I'm sure my stats are all kinds of fucked but it never feels like you could permanently screw yourself so I don't mind. The only thing I wonder about really is killing/using butterflies I know you get a load of xp (tried one and reloaded after) but I just get the little sister bioshock vibe so I'm just not using them at all atm.

on butterflies
butterflies the points will respawn after time. forgot what the exact conditions were though. regardless of that the other reason to kill them is that they drop items that are quite useful / rare. Such as the butterfly hand / wing. hand can be used for opening chests safely and wings for teleporting out of the dungeons. Though they do drop other stuff too. and the exp is the main reason why you might want to destroy one or not. so its really up to you if you want that emergency escape point there just in case or if you want a lump of exp now.

yeah the characters the only way you can really screw them up is if you used your final class change and your stats are set up for a fighter for example but your final class change was into a mage. now you would need to waste a bunch of your skill slots to fill out the correct skills to allow you to use the weapons / armor that you want and any other potential attack skills.

basically in short, just finishing off on the wrong class lol

the whole class change stuff takes a little pre-planning ahead of time to consider what skills you want to aim for and the order of obtaining them.

Shizuka

How are the load times? That's the only Vita specific questions I can think of right now.

Really short, you can barely notice it's there IMO. That, along with the fact that you can finish a battle in less than five seconds, makes this skyrocket in my favorite gameplay choices in DRPGs.

Parakeetman

So how similar is this to something like Etrian Odyssey?

Only thing similar for the most part is being able to make your own characters and the first person perspective.

Outside of that the game is fairly different mechanics wise. As EO for example character skills are gained by delegating skill points, this title skills are gated off by level gain.

Also when you gain a level you will need to decide where to put the bonus status point into said character. Though generally it is fairly straight forward for the more normal classes where the status point should be put. Knight = Vitality, Fighter = Strength, Wizard = Intelligence etc.

In terms of equipment most of it you will be collecting yourself vs. bring mats back and buying at the shop

RedBoot

Managed to make some progress today. You eventually get to a point where they open up three new dungeons for you at once, so it's nice to have a little non-linearity. Getting some levels and some nice equipment from hiding.

Of course, out of the three new dungeons, one has
rotation spots and the other has one-way walls. Not sure if the third one has any gimmicks (outside of people shooting you with arrows). I don't mind the gimmicks, but it makes it harder to use the auto-walk feature. :p

Shizuka

Managed to make some progress today. You eventually get to a point where they open up three new dungeons for you at once, so it's nice to have a little non-linearity. Getting some levels and some nice equipment from hiding.

rotation spots and the other has one-way walls. Not sure if the third one has any gimmicks (outside of people shooting you with arrows). I don't mind the gimmicks, but it makes it harder to use the auto-walk feature. :p

That's weird, I got stuck after progression to a certain point in all three dungeons. I think I should defeat some Linear Types before progressing, but I've defeated all that show up on the map. Maybe they're hidden in the ambush spots.

CrovaxPSO

Once you uncover enough of the map tiles the auto-walk will be able to create a path for you through most areas.

Dorarnae

That's weird, I got stuck after progression to a certain point in all three dungeons. I think I should defeat some Linear Types before progressing, but I've defeated all that show up on the map. Maybe they're hidden in the ambush spots.

there's a couple hidden in ambush spot and some other will appear in battle after a few turns or appear randomly when you get an encounter.

Shizuka

there's a couple hidden in ambush spot and some other will appear in battle after a few turns or appear randomly when you get an encounter.

Does the story only advance after hunting down those Lineage Types hidden in battles and ambush spots?

TheYanger

Is this game a decent intro for someone who's never done first person dungeon crawlers? I'm downloading the trial now just for the gorgeous art.

It doesn't hold your hand, and you'll die at the start a few times, but I don't think it's too bad tbh. I haven't played a first person dungeon crawler in years, and I was never HUGE into them even back in the day. I've also never played a japanese one (only PC stuff), and this feels like the translation isn't great but isn't getting in the way of skill descriptions and stuff, which would mostly be what I was concerned about going in.

These types of games are really for people that love stats and numbers and seeing them go up. If you're into that you'll be fine.

RedBoot

Yeah, I only took a few steps into each dungeon, didn't go past the first floor on any of them (actually spent more time hunting down the Rat Thief Lineage monster in the Mausoleum of Metal). So I hadn't ran into any blockers in the new dungeons yet. It is nice that you seem to be able to tackle them in any order, at least. I figured finding Lineage Types would be the way to progress things.

As for where they are, if you check the Wanted list, there's a little blurb for each Lineage type, which is a hint about how to find them.

Shizuka

Yeah, I only took a few steps into each dungeon, didn't go past the first floor on any of them (actually spent more time hunting down the Rat Thief Lineage monster in the Mausoleum of Metal). So I hadn't ran into any blockers in the new dungeons yet. It is nice that you seem to be able to tackle them in any order, at least. I figured finding Lineage Types would be the way to progress things.

As for where they are, if you check the Wanted list, there's a little blurb for each Lineage type, which is a hint about how to find them.

Yeah, that little piece of information, along with asking the Guild's NPCs about Lineage Types rumors help you find them. I just beat another one and I'm now progressing with the story.

oneils

This is pretty funny. I saw the official thread for experience inc., yesterday. I thought to myself that it would be pretty cool if I could play a dungeon crawler similar to these games on PS 4 or Xbox one.

I think I'm gonna try this one out. Is there anything similar on ps4?

TheYanger

Put in an order for a physical version, cheaper than digital/about the same and it'd be a fun little piece to have. Downside will be waiting at least a month to get it :/ it's REALLY tempting to just bite on the digital, my trial has too short a time remaining to do anything useful. I really like this game :(

Parakeetman

Is this game a decent intro for someone who's never done first person dungeon crawlers? I'm downloading the trial now just for the gorgeous art.

Its can be considered more difficult due to the permadeath system and only being able to save at the strangers guild. so if you are not familiar with dungeon crawlers will take you a while to get used to things.

once you get a hang of things its not as bad. but there will be occasions where characters can die in 1 hit among other things.

since you have access to the trial it should give you a fairly good idea of what its all about though

Put in an order for a physical version, cheaper than digital/about the same and it'd be a fun little piece to have. Downside will be waiting at least a month to get it :/ it's REALLY tempting to just bite on the digital, my trial has too short a time remaining to do anything useful. I really like this game :(

Yeah seems like folks who liked the game are picking up the physical just to collect and as you mentioned the price isnt too much different from the digital ver. Its too bad that amazon japan does not seem to be selling this title internationally for whatever reason as the price on amazon japan is pretty cheap, since its lower than the SRP

Top Bottom