• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY |OT| - "We're going to need another Timmy"

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Don't think I ever met it, though I've seen how difficult it is lol. It was the
anti spell
part of the final or penultimate dungeon. Cleared the other two parts but kept wiping there.

There are definitely some luck based moments where you'll get oneshot due to no fault of your own as parakeet mentioned. Overall I think I could probably have beaten the part I stopped at if I banged my head against it some more, but it was at a time where I was trying to get through my backlog and figured the time would be better spent moving on to other games.

lol yeah fuck that zone.
even the stupid normal enemies there hit pretty damned hard along with having high agi? since the rate at which they can attack is a bit bullshit. D:

the rabbit sucks, though I still think one of the scariest things in the game is the stupid mumic. I mean even Dorarnae has not been able to kill it. So you know something is wrong with a monster when that happens lol. Im curious as to what you get if you do actually defeat it. I tried a few times but only wound up doing like double or single digit damage to it before getting half the party wiped from that target all requiem attack. D: since i swear that lv display lies.

to new players DO NOT ATTACK THE MUMIC.

20141028054956574s.jpg

Parakeetman

Great OT!

I've got the LE preordered on Amazon and it had the Amazon Prime price glitch affecting it.
Very excited.

Thanks!

Did NIS America show how big the box was like in a video or something? Since if the artbook is the same size as the JP one Id imagine the box would be as large as like the Operation Abyss LE since it contains the OST also. If thats the case with the size am so gonna have issues as where the hell to put it lol. Ive seen the pics they got on their OHP but kinda hard to tell any sort of scale with that.

Shifty1897

Is this game easier or harder than Operation Abyss? That game was almost impossible to beat without a guide, I don't want another game like that.

Saphirax

Is this game easier or harder than Operation Abyss? That game was almost impossible to beat without a guide, I don't want another game like that.

Impossible? I didn't find OA hard at all. It was even easier than DG for the most part. However, SoSC is harder.

Parakeetman

Nice OT, will be picking up the Vita version in a month since I don't have an Xbone.

Thanks!

Oh...goodie.

Guess I'm going to be doing a lot of class-change grinding. At least it'll give me a chance to re-read Three Kingdoms.

I'm fine with stuff like that in the Elminage and other similar games, because at least you can save anywhere. Tale of the Forsaken Land didn't have free-saving or a teleport spell, but it was balanced out by fair enemy encounters.
It just seems odd that SOSC doesn't have dungeon-saving, but it has a life-point system, and a sizable % of one-shots.

Off-topic: I really should be using the next 30 days to try and beat Operation Abyss. I got side-tracked due to DT2 being released shortly afterwards.

Yeah at least abyss isnt too hard to beat once you have your party set up with insane equipment. As the upgrading system and breaking down things for parts kinda broke the game with how easy it made it to totally OP your gear.

The game is a bit weird about saving. Not quite sure what they were thinking. Since they make all of this "user friendly" stuff like auto mapping, auto movement, sped up battles. But the save part of the game isnt the greatest idea...

Even more so when there can be some normal enemies who look the same as others but their Lv is higher than other types which can cause deaths also if unlucky. So actually checking what lv the enemy is before fighting helps. Think it was the triangle button or something. Thankfully you do get a 100% escape from non event battle divinity skill though which you will be using a lot lol.

It shouldnt be as this game doesnt have a bunch of the weird puzzles and whatnots OA did. Outside of how confusing the whole class change system can be without knowing what skills you want to try for first, everything else for the most part is fairly straight forward.

Though this game is a lot more difficult than OA in just plain difficulty with boss fights and such. Plus some dungeons are most def designed to try and kill you.

Luigi87

Right now would take a good amount of time to resize everything and make the icons match the stuff used in this OT. Since it seems like they went a totally different design from their original HP stuff. Which is what the NIS America page is based off of.

The new page that contains the other art style and whatnots.
http://drpg-sosc.com/

Really comparing the two, to me it feels less like different art styles, but some characters seem completely changed (particularly Marilith and Helga).
While I think both styles has its own merits, I certainly lean toward Tsukamoto's style.

... actually Riu done in Oxijiyen's style is probably the only one I don't particularly care for on the whole.

Thanks!

Did NIS America show how big the box was like in a video or something? Since if the artbook is the same size as the JP one Id imagine the box would be as large as like the Operation Abyss LE since it contains the OST also. If thats the case with the size am so gonna have issues as where the hell to put it lol. Ive seen the pics they got on their OHP but kinda hard to tell any sort of scale with that.

Judging by the scale of the box to the game in the photos it looks to be of a similar size, haha.

Oh.
Almost forgot to ask.

When a character loses all of their life-points and dies permanently, are they immediately wiped from existence along with their equipment? Or can you at least grab their stuff to give to a new hire?

Parakeetman

Judging by the scale of the box to the game in the photos it looks to be of a similar size, haha.

Fantastic, guess that means its going into the box for storage right on top of the Op Abyss box lol.

Also in there is my Op Abyss / Babel JP LEs

Oh.
Almost forgot to ask.

When a character loses all of their life-points and dies permanently, are they immediately wiped from existence along with their equipment? Or can you at least grab their stuff to give to a new hire?

I think? the equipment is tossed into your inventory. As when the character dies in battle, they go poof right on the spot.

Really comparing the two, to me it feels less like different art styles, but some characters seem completely changed (particularly Marilith and Helga).
While I think both styles has its own merits, I certainly lean toward Tsukamoto's style.

... actually Riu done in Oxijiyen's style is probably the only one I don't particularly care for on the whole.

OBEY THE AHOGE

I think what will be the most jarring thing if you do play the game in the Oxijiyen style is just the fact that her voice will not seem to match the characters appearance. Where the Tsukamoto style it does quite well. Which makes sense considering the voice work was designed around the original character designs. Raineria (the official name) has got to be my favorite character as dig her design.

Shifty1897

Impossible? I didn't find OA hard at all. It was even easier than DG for the most part. However, SoSC is harder.

I should have been more specific, it was the puzzles and finding hidden doors that bothered me about OA, not the battles. According to Parakeet, I should be okay.

Parakeetman

I should have been more specific, it was the puzzles and finding hidden doors that bothered me about OA, not the battles. According to Parakeet, I should be okay.

Yeah SOSC does not have anything as irritating as some of the stuff in OA. Most of the "puzzles" is more just getting an item from defeating something which allows you to progress further. Or having a specific item on hand in order to get a monster to show up.

I think? the equipment is tossed into your inventory. As when the character dies in battle, they go poof right on the spot.

Well, as long as weapons and armor aren't lost that's fine.

Honestly, I'd rather train a new character from scratch than lose a high-level weapon or armor. At least there are methods for mitigating grinding, but RNG is the cruelest God.

Nice, thanks for the info. I'll probably pick up either of those art books in the future then. Looking at her name on Google reveals she used to be a Designer at From Software working on games like Armored Core: Last Raven and Armored Core 4. Didn't realise she also worked on Xenoblade too, quite the artist she is.

Parakeetman

Nice, thanks for the info. I'll probably pick up either of those art books in the future then. Looking at her name on Google reveals she used to be a Designer at From Software working on games like Armored Core: Last Raven and Armored Core 4. Didn't realise she also worked on Xenoblade too, quite the artist she is.

The students of round artbook is hard to find new. the SOSC JP version their official site still lists as available so there must be more than enough stock of that one.

Well, as long as weapons and armor aren't lost that's fine.

Honestly, I'd rather train a new character from scratch than lose a high-level weapon or armor. At least there are methods for mitigating grinding, but RNG is the cruelest God.

Trust me Id flip my shit if I lost some of my characters and the most advanced hard hitting ones are my 1 LP characters lol. Since it takes a pretty crazy amount of time to keep working those levels back up to get to the skills that you want, then getting that cut in half again and repeating the whole process. Also remember to save the final class change back to your original class if that was your plan. (And most likely the better on as your initial skill point setup would have been made for the original class most of the time)

Ranger -> Dancer -> Samurai -> Ninja -> Ranger

You only can change class 5 times per character too so you need to kinda plan out which direction you want to go ahead of time. Since you cant keep switching freely. Also how your stats allocation will work out through your switches as your character will be pretty gimped at one point or another during the class changes so you would need to pick up the slack with others.

This game if you get deep into the class changing it will hurt bad when you lose a finely crafted adventurer lol D:

One thing for sure is that the class change system allows for tailoring the characters to your liking which causes you to get pretty attached to them as all that effort put into making em the way you like it.

Parakeetman

Nice OT, as always :) Cya in a month...or whenever NIS sends out my order :)

Thanks! Yeah this thread will combine both the XBO and Vita threads. Since I doubt we will have that large of a community and for the most part both games are the same outside of the graphical differences with some of the bosses.

Although might be weird for the Vita users to wander in and see any sort of discussions having gone on from people that already advanced in the game on the Xbox One.

Dorarnae

lol yeah fuck that zone.
even the stupid normal enemies there hit pretty damned hard along with having high agi? since the rate at which they can attack is a bit bullshit. D:

the rabbit sucks, though I still think one of the scariest things in the game is the stupid mumic. I mean even Dorarnae has not been able to kill it. So you know something is wrong with a monster when that happens lol. Im curious as to what you get if you do actually defeat it. I tried a few times but only wound up doing like double or single digit damage to it before getting half the party wiped from that target all requiem attack. D: since i swear that lv display lies.

to new players DO NOT ATTACK THE MUMIC.

20141028054956574s.jpg

I need to kill that thing someday with my 1lp party lol.

Savitar

The Yoko Tsukamoto artwork is seriously beautiful, it's what made me want to buy the game.

Also I get the titles reference, it made me grin. Kudos.

Parakeetman

So how is the story? That's really the deciding factor for me in rpgs nowadays.

the story isnt something super deep but it is enjoyable enough. though would depend on what are you looking for in the story? as dialog wise its not to be compared to with full fledged jrpgs for example.

anderedna

Vita for me. Should be compatible with PSTV right?
Any reason why they don't port this game to PS4 seeing it's on XB1 as well?

I still need o finish up Mind/Zero and Operation Abyss and here I'm looking to buy another dungeon crawler for Vita...

Edit:
Yeah it should work with the vita tv. The jp one did and i do not imagine NIS America changing that.

Okay cool. Thanks :)

Parakeetman

Vita for me. Should be compatible with PSTV right?
Any reason why they don't port this game to PS4 seeing it's on XB1 as well?

I still need o finish up Mind/Zero and Operation Abyss and here I'm looking to buy another dungeon crawler for Vita...

Yeah it should work with the vita tv. The jp one did and i do not imagine NIS America changing that.

jtrov

Really want to try this out, but every time I try running the trial I get an "unable to update" message. This is on Xbox One, anyone else run into this? Going to try redownloading the trial and see if that fixes the issue. Just updated Battlefront without issue too...

dkoy

Nice OT as always. Initially thought it was way too early to make an OT since I completely forgot it's out for the XBO as well. Just gotta hope that the LE makes its way safely from Canada to Belgium without any hitches.

This will be my first DRPG with permadeath. I know I'll get rekt a few times since I'm actually terrible at DRPGs but I'll have fun while I'm at it.

rpg_fan

I haven't followed this well enough, but it seems a curious choice to release a jrpg on xb1 first then vita. It seems a really odd pairing.

Is there any real advantages to the xb1 version other than a few different monsters? I've been looking for a reason to buy another xb1 (for myself), and this might budge the needle towards buy if it's a much better version.

Parakeetman

Really want to try this out, but every time I try running the trial I get an "unable to update" message. This is on Xbox One, anyone else run into this? Going to try redownloading the trial and see if that fixes the issue. Just updated Battlefront without issue too...

Hmm thats odd Ill have to try that this evening. Had not had time to do anything as am taking care of guests from out of town

Nice OT as always. Initially thought it was way too early to make an OT since I completely forgot it's out for the XBO as well. Just gotta hope that the LE makes its way safely from Canada to Belgium without any hitches.

This will be my first DRPG with permadeath. I know I'll get rekt a few times since I'm actually terrible at DRPGs but I'll have fun while I'm at it.

Thanks!

Parakeetman

I haven't followed this well enough, but it seems a curious choice to release a jrpg on xb1 first then vita. It seems a really odd pairing.

Is there any real advantages to the xb1 version other than a few different monsters? I've been looking for a reason to buy another xb1 (for myself), and this might budge the needle towards buy if it's a much better version.

the xb1 version is based off of the jp x360 / pc ver as its base.

asides from a few different boss monsters and end dungeon things are fairly the same. though the vita ver has that online ranking. never used that though so cant comment on it.

cuilan

I just paid off my preorder for the XBO version at AmiAmi. I opted for cheaper shipping, so it's going to be a couple of weeks before I get to play it. My final total was $36.

I remember playing through the Xbox 360 demo of Students of Round and enjoying it, but I never actually got around to buying the full game. SoSC looks very similar, so I'm sure I'll like it.

Top Bottom