• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY |OT| - "We're going to need another Timmy"

autoduelist

So... deep in exploration my dancer died. I decided to not be OCD and restart, so got back to base and paid to 'instant' revive her from death. Ok. Then it was '7 days' to heal the life point. So I went back to the dungeon.... and wow. 7 days 'in game' time takes quite awhile, doesn't it? I was down to 3 days left when I stupidly did something that got another teammate killed [wasn't paying attention, just spamming carnage]....

I hadn't saved for awhile... so now I can either go with a save before the char died at all (miss out on 30 minutes of exploration, big deal) or the save where they only have 1 out of 2 lifepoints.

Are there any items that restore lifepoints safely? I guess i'll just go with the older save...

lesson learned -- I'm too gaming OCD to let teammates die. I should have just made everyone age 99.

conceptually, I -love- the concept of having alternate teams. I just find it hard in practice to let it happen. I think, maybe, the way I'd like to see it done is having multiple squads with some sort of 'exhaustion' mechanic that inherently forces you to sideline players on a regular basis. because having death cause 1 teammate to lag behind a couple levels while you 'heal' them just makes my team feel imbalanced and makes me want to go to a save.

I guess not having any saves would do it too... I don't scum save my roguelikes, but having them accessible like this makes it hard not to want to go to the save.
can someone explain the distribution of blood crystals? can i still get the other skills after choosing one, or does it move to the next column for each crystal given?

One choice per column, but most skills repeat quite a few times so you have chances to get them later [or double/triple up on something].

TheYanger

So... deep in exploration my dancer died. I decided to not be OCD and restart, so got back to base and paid to 'instant' revive her from death. Ok. Then it was '7 days' to heal the life point. So I went back to the dungeon.... and wow. 7 days 'in game' time takes quite awhile, doesn't it? I was down to 3 days left when I stupidly did something that got another teammate killed [wasn't paying attention, just spamming carnage]....

I hadn't saved for awhile... so now I can either go with a save before the char died at all (miss out on 30 minutes of exploration, big deal) or the save where they only have 1 out of 2 lifepoints.

Are there any items that restore lifepoints safely? I guess i'll just go with the older save...

lesson learned -- I'm too gaming OCD to let teammates die. I should have just made everyone age 99.

conceptually, I -love- the concept of having alternate teams. I just find it hard in practice to let it happen. I think, maybe, the way I'd like to see it done is having multiple squads with some sort of 'exhaustion' mechanic that inherently forces you to sideline players on a regular basis. because having death cause 1 teammate to lag behind a couple levels while you 'heal' them just makes my team feel imbalanced and makes me want to go to a save.

I guess not having any saves would do it too... I don't scum save my roguelikes, but having them accessible like this makes it hard not to want to go to the save.

One choice per column, but most skills repeat quite a few times so you have chances to get them later [or double/triple up on something].

There are a few LP restoring items. Also I posted earlier in the thread about a risk free route I run when I needed to pass time, takes about half an hour per 7 days

Lanrutcon

Holy mother of grinding.

All my characters now have 21 levels in Knight, 26 levels in Cleric, and 13 in Dancer if rear/15 Ninja if front. I even have 2 High Concentration Fighters now (28 Ranger, 30 Fighter).

How's everyone's parties doing?

Lanrutcon

Ok. The tower of storms is where the game officially stops being nice. Everything up till this place feels like the tutorial.

autoduelist

anyone figure out what 'trap evasion' means?

Specifically, the Holy Rod has :
Use: 'Holy Light' Special: 'Trap Evasion'.

Does that mean, if equipped, you don't trigger traps on the ground? Or traps on treasure? Or?....

----

Actually, anyone find a good spell list online?

dkoy

Ok. The tower of storms is where the game officially stops being nice. Everything up till this place feels like the tutorial.

Just about to head there actually. Just doing all the lineage types i have left, including the 5star ones. Anyone kniw how to get the golden magic knight to spawn? I don't know how to get the heart stone.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just about to head there actually. Just doing all the lineage types i have left, including the 5star ones. Anyone kniw how to get the golden magic knight to spawn? I don't know how to get the heart stone.

Kill the normal knights i think it was

Go to an ambush location. Look for knights that are protecting a Goods Chest.You should get the heart stone from there.

Mugaaz

Man, I'm really liking this game, but Critical Hits / Requiem / Grand Cross are all complete bullshit.

Spend 25 mins getting to final boss, doing pretty good. They cast Requiem and kill 3 of my guys. It's such binary skill-less bullshit. The fact that clerics get passive granting immunity to it only proves how stupid it is. You don't invent ways to circumvent core game mechanics unless those mechanics are garbage in the first place.

It's not nearly as bad, but the Hit and Avoid in this game are also pretty stupid. More specifically, the fact that you can completely mitigate melee by casting master casting Multi-Avoid over and over. You have to though, because the later enemies hit so unbelievably hard that you cannot mitigate.

Sorry to whine, really like this game, feels like it improved on Wizardry formula quite a lot. The ambush system really helped prevent the slog of farming ultra-rares in Wizardry. Class-Changing is fun and neat (maybe a little too good honestly), and they have a nice system where characters can die without it being trivial or too harsh. Look forward to more games from this developer.

MrDoctor

Can I get subclass advice for my Ninja and in general? I'm thinking of going Samurai > Dancer to dual-wield katanas for max critical damage. And should I work on raising his Luc?

edit: btw, is there a downside to continuously using healing rings that have been cursed?

Lanrutcon

Man, I'm really liking this game, but Critical Hits / Requiem / Grand Cross are all complete bullshit.

Spend 25 mins getting to final boss, doing pretty good. They cast Requiem and kill 3 of my guys. It's such binary skill-less bullshit. The fact that clerics get passive granting immunity to it only proves how stupid it is. You don't invent ways to circumvent core game mechanics unless those mechanics are garbage in the first place.

It's not nearly as bad, but the Hit and Avoid in this game are also pretty stupid. More specifically, the fact that you can completely mitigate melee by casting master casting Multi-Avoid over and over. You have to though, because the later enemies hit so unbelievably hard that you cannot mitigate.

Sorry to whine, really like this game, feels like it improved on Wizardry formula quite a lot. The ambush system really helped prevent the slog of farming ultra-rares in Wizardry. Class-Changing is fun and neat (maybe a little too good honestly), and they have a nice system where characters can die without it being trivial or too harsh. Look forward to more games from this developer.

Every character needs 21 levels in Knight, and 26 in Cleric. That makes them immune to a whole battery of really nasty things that become commonplace later.

I do agree on the Hit/Avoid manipulation tho. It's tedious and stupid. I have 2 Cleric/Mages and they Master Cast multi avoid to prevent a lot of problems.

Worst thing? Bosses that reset fights, clearing all Divinities/buffs/rebuffs. Way to artificially make the fight longer.

Parakeetman

Can I get subclass advice for my Ninja and in general? I'm thinking of going Samurai > Dancer to dual-wield katanas for max critical damage. And should I work on raising his Luc?

edit: btw, is there a downside to continuously using healing rings that have been cursed?

No real downside to it besides having to constantly uncurse them and taking up inventory space.

Luc effects the crit stats among protection against bad status / crit so yes raising it does help.

autoduelist

As others said, get it from a chest with a goods symbol. the lineage is close to the entrance of one of the levels and easy to find. if you don't want to fight him, put the heart stone in storage (he is too powerful for my chars).

i keep stupid dying lately and making no progress. carnage is such a nice time saving skill till you get 1 hit and have to redo all the time you save, lol.

Moofers

I love this game! I have my characters up to level 10 (a complete roster) and am enjoying the art, music, and fun battle system. It's great having it on Vita because I can play anywhere or throw it into my Vita TV and play on the big screen. Really digging that.

I did a video about this game recently if anyone wants to check it out: https://youtu.be/ydpZaPU4TK0

Lanrutcon

Got the Ark dungeon and I'm stopping here. The dungeon stops all skills, and the boss has a fuckton of health, summons high level adds, hides 3 rows back, regenerates 1,500 health every few turns, drains your morale to 0, charms your party members, strips all buffs on your party, dispells all debuffs on himself, gets multiple attacks a turn and lowers your mana each turn.

I am not going to spend days grinding to get passed this dude.

Edit: Maybe I'm not suppose to tangle with him yet? argh.

Mugaaz

Every character needs 21 levels in Knight, and 26 in Cleric. That makes them immune to a whole battery of really nasty things that become commonplace later.

I do agree on the Hit/Avoid manipulation tho. It's tedious and stupid. I have 2 Cleric/Mages and they Master Cast multi avoid to prevent a lot of problems.

Worst thing? Bosses that reset fights, clearing all Divinities/buffs/rebuffs. Way to artificially make the fight longer.

It's just a stupid mechanic. The fact that you can completely invalidate it with a passive only makes it even worse. It's not like Knight gets a passive to ignore physical damage, Priests don't get to ignore Magical damage at 26, etc. The effect is completely binary, it either kills you or does nothing. There is no mitigation, only avoidance. It's pure RNG that can decide the entire fight. When you design encounters that are challenging because the boss has a purely random move that can instantly kill you that cannot be dodged, then you have basically thrown in the towel when it comes to designing boss fights. You are saying "i have no idea how to make a boss hard but fair, so I'm going to make it hard but arbitrary, that way it will at least be hard, but the mechanic is bullshit, so grind a specific class to completely invalidate it." It's been done in other games as well, and it's always been a sign of failure.

Avoid/Hit is almost as bad, and it's actually worse when they design encounters around it. I literally cannot fathom why they allow you or the enemy to stack the spell. Then later bosses hit you for so much that it's literally impossible to survive without stacking aboid to 100, at which point it's completely trivial unless they debuff you. It's really, really bad design.

Strangest part to me is how good the rest of the game is, then you have sections like the boss fight in the slums or ghost town where it goes into pure garbage territory.

Mugaaz

Got the Ark dungeon and I'm stopping here. The dungeon stops all skills, and the boss has a fuckton of health, summons high level adds, hides 3 rows back, regenerates 1,500 health every few turns, drains your morale to 0, charms your party members, strips all buffs on your party, dispells all debuffs on himself, gets multiple attacks a turn and lowers your mana each turn.

I am not going to spend days grinding to get passed this dude.

Edit: Maybe I'm not suppose to tangle with him yet? argh.

This fight is dumb, but it's really not that bad. Just cast Multi avoid with your casters every turn, Have the rest use confine skill on the boss. Again, these later fights are dumb. You hit the boss by getting weapon trick to ignore range, then you ignore his damage by dodging everything. Block him debuffing you with the spell, I think its force guard? I forgot the name. Sword bond prevents charming.

Lanrutcon

This fight is dumb, but it's really not that bad. Just cast Multi avoid with your casters every turn, Have the rest use confine skill on the boss. Again, these later fights are dumb. You hit the boss by getting weapon trick to ignore range, then you ignore his damage by dodging everything. Block him debuffing you with the spell, I think its force guard? I forgot the name. Sword bond prevents charming.

That's what I did, then he cancelled all the debuffs/buffs. By the time I had the buffs/debuffs up again he'd healed back to full. Every time I had enough avoid/hit up to focus on attack he's simply cancel all my buffs.

It's him healing himself constantly while dispelling the board that makes the fight a cluster fuck. I'm busy grinding in the ice place for better gear, but if I can't beat him next time I'm just using Cheat Engine. It's absolute horseshit that the dungeon makes skills unusable. Why the fuck did I spend 3 days grinding class levels?

Durante

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, but this thread sounds scary. I've been cruising for a while now after my party started to coalesce, but now I'm getting to enemies which can simply wear my tank down in a single turn if I am unlucky. Probably time to pay a bit more attention again.

I have a question regarding multi-classing: is it a good idea to switch away from your initial class before level 30? I thought I'd do that with my party before considering multi-classing so that I don't have to "waste" a slot going back to it eventually.

Lanrutcon

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, but this thread sounds scary. I've been cruising for a while now after my party started to coalesce, but now I'm getting to enemies which can simply wear my tank down in a single turn if I am unlucky. Probably time to pay a bit more attention again.

I have a question regarding multi-classing: is it a good idea to switch away from your initial class before level 30? I thought I'd do that with my party before considering multi-classing so that I don't have to "waste" a slot going back to it eventually.

Your minimum switch is 13, and I did it quite a few times. The thing is that the higher you are when you switch the more HP you end up with...but HP doesn't really matter. The shit that kills you later laughs at HP totals. This is what I'm rocking atm:

KuDE4hu.jpg

And if I don't use defensive skills that 2k hp goes away in a round. My advice for later on:

- Everyone needs Secret Defense and Holy Soul.
- You need someone with high Piety and Sword Song. Bosses start eating your morale, and without morale you can't counter big threats.
- Multiple characters with Master Cast and Holy 2 is pretty fucking handy. Almost essential sometimes.
- The Fighter class teaches a lot of weapon skills. Makes it very easy to keep everyone equipped later on, because anti-Spirit/Immortal/Demon weapons are super super essential.

You can switch earlier for quick utility. Getting 3 or 4 or whatever it is in Samurai/Fighter for the attacks/dual wield is pretty nice for example. Dancer whatever range is also early on, and so is the Ranger increased damage with bows from the backline, which you can use on casters to have non mp reliant damage(although I think that'd quickly become irrelevant due to poor accuracy and low str).

Really depends on your final plan. If you really want to min max your character because you plan to grind a lot to do postgame content and what not, then it wouldn't be worth it, but if your plan isn't to do min maxing, then "wasting" quick respecs early on is fairly optimal as it's very quick to get the levels back and has much smaller impact than waiting all the way to 13, or higher.

Overall I enjoyed the game a decent bit, but I stopped once I finished the game as there's too many things that annoyed me to make me want to go further. The instant deaths, combined to permanent deaths and the amount of grinding and the inefficiency of grinding(at least until you can grind butterflies from what I hear, but still), it just felt annoying. The story was pretty alright, the art is excelent, both graphics and sound, the classes were ok even if a bit simplistic but the downsides really wore me down. Fighting a boss for several rounds or grinding for 30minutes and then suddenly someone dies instantly because I don't have the magic divinity on is just not fun, especially with how death is treated in the game.

autoduelist

It's just a stupid mechanic. The fact that you can completely invalidate it with a passive only makes it even worse. SNIP

Doesn't really bother me in the way it bothers you. I just don't agree that having a way to invalidate it makes it 'stupid' or a bad mechanic. I mean, it would be like saying having a spell that counters all poison would make a poison swamp bad design... no, it just means it's another piece of the puzzle when designing a squad - ensuring you have a way to counter poison, or survive w/o magic, or whatever the current dungeon's challenge is. Or, for example, the immortals/spirits... you can either equip all anti-immortal for an undead dungeon, or use a turn to have your cleric cast holy weapon. If you don't mind your cleric using his/her first turn to cast holy weapon (or wiz for spirits), you never need to worry about what your weapons hit - but that doesn't mean having anti-immortal perks on weapons is bad design, either, nor does it mean the related mechanics don't add to the overall combat mechanics in a positive way.

Your minimum switch is 13, and I did it quite a few times. The thing is that the higher you are when you switch the more HP you end up with...but HP doesn't really matter. The shit that kills you later laughs at HP totals. This is what I'm rocking atm:

KuDE4hu.jpg

And if I don't use defensive skills that 2k hp goes away in a round. My advice for later on:

- Everyone needs Secret Defense and Holy Soul.
- You need someone with high Piety and Sword Song. Bosses start eating your morale, and without morale you can't counter big threats.
- Multiple characters with Master Cast and Holy 2 is pretty fucking handy. Almost essential sometimes.
- The Fighter class teaches a lot of weapon skills. Makes it very easy to keep everyone equipped later on, because anti-Spirit/Immortal/Demon weapons are super super essential.

It's just so...odd fighting enemies that barely scratch my Samurai for 10 dmg and one 5 levels higher murders her (thru an Iron Defense) for more than double her HP (380 vs 154).

It, plus the Ambush mechanic, makes the game feel like farming simulator and/or russian roulette (which is one reason I dropped Darkest Dungeon) in an increasing ammount.

Mugaaz

Doesn't really bother me in the way it bothers you. I just don't agree that having a way to invalidate it makes it 'stupid' or a bad mechanic. I mean, it would be like saying having a spell that counters all poison would make a poison swamp bad design... no, it just means it's another piece of the puzzle when designing a squad - ensuring you have a way to counter poison, or survive w/o magic, or whatever the current dungeon's challenge is. Or, for example, the immortals/spirits... you can either equip all anti-immortal for an undead dungeon, or use a turn to have your cleric cast holy weapon. If you don't mind your cleric using his/her first turn to cast holy weapon (or wiz for spirits), you never need to worry about what your weapons hit - but that doesn't mean having anti-immortal perks on weapons is bad design, either, nor does it mean the related mechanics don't add to the overall combat mechanics in a positive way.

If the encounter is made difficult through the RNG deathtouch, then being able to negate that trivializes the encounter. So you now have an encounter that is either only randomly difficult, or completely trivial. That's about as far away as you can get from a good encounter. Leveling all your chars to get a passive to negate that ability isn't strategic, tactical, or skillful; it's boring.

"I really liked how that ninja boss randomly killed half my party" - said no one ever. Why don't they allow you to critical bosses? Take that train of though and then apply it to player characters. Thing's like protecting your back line, using abiltiies to protect them when formation gets ruined. Figuring out how long you can go without healing and what abilities to use in that timeframe. Stuff like that is really interesting. What am I supposed to enjoy about a boss fight where everytime I click end turn I have to cross my fingers I don't randomly lose?

Parakeetman

Durante heres an older post I did about MCing though its the more excessive route for it.

How do the party member synergies and overall feel of this title compare to etrian odyssey?

Totally different. In all honesty there is not much synergy since its a more traditional design that pulls from Wizardry more than EO which does its own thing.

With that being said, dont expect the same sort of experience as EO outside of how it is a first person dungeon crawler.

Though the class change system allows for some interesting builds if you are willing to put the time into it.

*Incoming wall of text, but info on class changing plus general info on starting stats / age + bonus points. This was a post had done a while back in the thread.
--------

My party is approaching Level 13, which is the recommended point to start changing classes. Planning on doing this...

Samurai -> Knight -> Fighter
Fighter -> Knight -> Fighter / Samurai (not sure)
Knight (No change)
Ranger -> Dancer -> Ranger
Priest (No change I guess, not sure)
Wizard -> Priest -> Wizard

The mid classes will go to level 13 before switching, then the third class will stay till the end. Don't think I can go any longer that three switches without boring myself to death from the grinding.

General idea is beefing up my front row folks for Knight defense passives, giving my ranger some motivation benefits, and some minor healing and MP regen for my Wizard.

Thoughts? High level Fighter seems to have better skills, so might end up with two fighters for the end. High level Samurai skills seems kinda meh, anyone use 'em? Also, any recommendation for Knight or Priest? I think they're fine for their purpose so far, don't see the reason for them learning other stuff.

Actually the Carnage back skill the one where you keep attacking and dodging till you or your target is dead can deal the most insane amount of damage for a melee character if you have the class kitted / specced out correctly. It generally is how the samurai is in most of the games with the carnage builds.

Knight you will want to go into the cleric tree though you need to get up pretty high for that holy spirit or whatever the skill is called. As it helps protect against bad status effects and works with the knights higher lv skills also. Also other things on top of that is adding stuff like the dancers multiple item use ability can be helpful at times when you want to keep your damage dealers focused, casters nuking / supporting and need to heal or recover mp / do something else besides trying to attack with the knight. Knight with Ninja can help too for that utsusemi skill. The one where you create doubles to help protect the party.

Cleric is basically mix it with the Wizard and from there you can do other stuff like combine the ninja skills of raising dodge and the knights skill of raising def to keep it from dying.

Honestly there are a fair amount of combinations the problem is they will take an EXCESSIVE amount of time to perfect due to levels being constantly cut in half. So you will have to plan them out pretty well ahead of time.

Btw you will want to change the knight a few times also for the HP bonus. As a character that has changed class at least once will still out class another non changed character HP wise, even if its by slightly.

Though this game for the first play through you do not need to really class change, but it does help out a lot if you do.

For the ranger combining samurai with it along with the ninja helps. Samurai for row attack as you can use that slash with the bow and from the ninja the crit hit skill forgot what it was called helps too.

With the Wizard also it would help to mix in the dodge and def up passives just in case. Since there will be times when certain enemies can do physical attacks that can reach the back row.

Fighter most def would benefit from that hunters secret as it helps you keep the concentrate status on allowing you to not waste turns prepping. Also with the melee classes you will want to toss the dancer in there for weapon trick which cancels out the range limitations on weapons. So you can keep hacking away from the backrow if an asshole swaps your formation. Or in the event when doing hiding you can hit the leader who at times will be hiding way in the back. The dancers multiple attack on a single target is useful too for those times when you do not like how the fighters is "random" targets. As the attacks get spread out more if there is multiple targets.

Samurai -> Dancer -> Ninja -> Fighter (if you want but you dont really need it)

Fighter -> Ranger -> Dancer -> Samurai or Ninja

Knight -> Cleric -> Ninja or Dancer, then the other

Ranger -> Ninja -> Dancer -> Samurai or Fighter

Cleric -> Wizard -> Knight -> Ninja -> Dancer

Wizard -> Cleric -> Ninja -> Dancer -> Knight

These are the excessive examples, but if you look through the skills of the class am sure you will figure out why.
Dont burn yourself out though as it will take a good amount of time if you want to try these lol.

General breakdowns of levels to get the useful skills for classes.
*In general the bare minimum will be 13 for the skill token (skill slot)

Fighter - 28 (if you want genocide)
Knight - 21 (for the defensive passive)
Samurai - 19 (for carnage back or whatever its called)
Wizard - 27 (for master cast x 3) - 14 (for high cast x 2)
Cleric - 26 (for holy spirit, this you most def want the knight to have or other classes you dont want to die) - 25 (if you just want both mana regen passives)
Ranger - 28 (for hunters secret, a basic must if you want to make the fighter / dancer be more efficient at dealing damage with its skills) - 13 (for the skill token + pin down - dodge / hit debuff attack can be used with other weapons)
Ninja - 15 (for utsusemi or whatever they call the localized name, the hiding stuff you can skip as it wastes turns, unless you are trying to go for a pure crit character)
Dancer - 23 (for star step for melee characters as its 5 attacks on a single target) - 18 (for trick use II, use a single item 3 times. Uses 3 of selected items.)

Since there is no real English wiki, lots of the more specific data comes from here the main JP wiki. For those that cant read Japanese go use google translate or whatever else you normally have available.
http://www.spoiler.jp/srv/tsurugi/index.php?クラス

Other stuff is from lots of experimentation and whatnots. Since at first had no idea what I was doing with the class change system, so basically all of us JP players were making all sorts of abominations till we figured things out to be more efficient.

Tossing in the base stats + max value data + what stats do info again as it ties into the whole planning for class changing.

Ol4xpU3.png

1st Playthrough Max Stats = Starting racial stats value + 20
2nd Playthrough Max Stats = Starting racial stats value + 30
*Value doesnt change after that for the 3rd, 4th and 5th playthrough if you even bother to do them.

In regards to age general breakdown
10~19 Years:Max LP 3、Lowest Bonus Pts 3
20~39 Years:Max LP 2、Lowest Bonus Pts 5
40~59 Years:Max LP 2、Lowest Bonus Pts 7
60~99 Years:Max LP 1、Lowest Bonus Pts 10

STR - Attack damage (this is for all weapon types including bows)
INT - Mage spell damage / effectiveness + max MP
PIE - Cleric spell effectiveness + max MP
VIT - Defense and HP gain
AGI - Effects turn in combat, accuracy and dodge / Helps with Open Lock (trap disarm) rating also.
LUC - Effects various things, one important one is helps with protecting against bad status / chance of getting 1 hit killed. Also effects damage from non-elemental items such as explosive powder? and helps with Open Lock (trap disarm) rating.

certain stats is more dependant on what you are going for in a class

Fighter - Str, Vit, Agi
Knight - Vit, Luc, Agi if you want dont need Str as much since you wont be attacking too often with it later on.
Samurai - Str, Agi, Vit, Luc
Wizard - Int, Agi, Luc, Pie if you plan to give it cleric skills
Cleric Pie, Agi, Vit, Int if you plan to give it wizard skills
Are some examples.
-------

Once again in closing none of the above in the block of information is necessary to beat the game in the first play through.

For those who actually give a shit about class changing, pay attention to what I wrote above and read it. Otherwise you will be screwing up your own characters by switching willy-nilly wasting the 5 times you can class change. As once you use those those thats it for the playthrough. Screwed up my characters a bunch of times early with the JP 360 ver on so the rest of you dont have to lol

autoduelist

If the encounter is made difficult through the RNG deathtouch, then being able to negate that trivializes the encounter. So you now have an encounter that is either only randomly difficult, or completely trivial. That's about as far away as you can get from a good encounter. Leveling all your chars to get a passive to negate that ability isn't strategic, tactical, or skillful; it's boring.

"I really liked how that ninja boss randomly killed half my party" - said no one ever. Why don't they allow you to critical bosses? Take that train of though and then apply it to player characters. Thing's like protecting your back line, using abiltiies to protect them when formation gets ruined. Figuring out how long you can go without healing and what abilities to use in that timeframe. Stuff like that is really interesting. What am I supposed to enjoy about a boss fight where everytime I click end turn I have to cross my fingers I don't randomly lose?

Maybe I'm spoiled because I chose spirit wall, which seems to protect against all that... so in my game, I need to manage morale points to ensure that I can use that when necessary.

As for criticals in general, I think the creators of the game were -really- trying to make people use multiple squads to beat the game. So it was important for characters to die, because that's what put them in the hospital and forces you to play w/ a new member or new team.

But a lot of us are resistant to that concept [ i know i am, I restart my last save even though i have 2 lifepoints per character] and this makes 'insta-death' seem very drastic, when in fact, I -should-, in theory, just run back home [flash escape everyhwhere] and flip out a team member. If I did that, the way i'm supposed to, critical deaths would just be a minor speedbump and part of the overall gameplay. It's my choice to ignore that mechanic, and it's my choice that makes death a bigger deal than it need be.

I was raised on permadeath rogulikes [i've ascended in nethack w/o scumsaving] so death in general doesn't bother me. heck, the fact that i've got a recent save is a huge step up from dying late in tome or crawl or whatever.

Lanrutcon

Story end boss down. Dude was tricky, but he wasn't in a no-skill zone so shit got handled. If I didn't have 2 Master Casters I'm pretty sure I'd have stalemated.

Got the Light ending.

Edit:

Done with the game. Messed around with some post game stuff, but it's the exact same fight over and over again. Literally every boss I fought had the exact same set of abilities, just renamed differently and with higher numbers.

Pump multi avoid with every character to stay alive -> pump hit when you start surviving -> chip at the boss because its defensive abilities can't be bypassed/nullified -> recast everything after the boss nullifies all buffs/debuffs. Keep this up against the boss's innate healing ability and eventually it dies or you get bored. Without avoid you take thousands of damage.

They could save the player hours and hours of grinding by just removing the boss's ability to instantly dispell every debuff at the same time (while still getting his normal attacks, no less). If you cut the artificial difficulty from the game I'm pretty sure you could finish it in a day or two.

autoduelist

I remember people mentioned some weapons have a 10 piety req. Do I also need to get my fighter to 10 int for any reason?

--
Also... I've been sort of ignoring class changing because I hate not learning skills, lol. So now I've got everyone at level 23: a fighter, knight, samurai, dancer, wizard, and cleric.

Are there any there I should just class change now? Or since i'm at 23 should i just wait till i get all their skills at this point?

any recommendations on what i should switch each to would be nice. I know there's a list earlier in this thread but i was wondering if others had different input.

thanks!

Saphirax

I remember people mentioned some weapons have a 10 piety req. Do I also need to get my fighter to 10 int for any reason?

--
Also... I've been sort of ignoring class changing because I hate not learning skills, lol. So now I've got everyone at level 23: a fighter, knight, samurai, dancer, wizard, and cleric.

Are there any there I should just class change now? Or since i'm at 23 should i just wait till i get all their skills at this point?

any recommendations on what i should switch each to would be nice. I know there's a list earlier in this thread but i was wondering if others had different input.

thanks!

Don't bother with piety/int weapons - getting the points at the expense of the ones you could benefit from just isn't worth it and there are better weapons out there.

autoduelist

Don't bother with piety/int weapons - getting the points at the expense of the ones you could benefit from just isn't worth it and there are better weapons out there.

Ok, thanks. I just already have a fighter with 9 points int (based on race, i guess? i would never intentionally put points into it) so i figured topping him off to 10 might be beneficial.

Lanrutcon

Ok, thanks. I just already have a fighter with 9 points int (based on race, i guess? i would never intentionally put points into it) so i figured topping him off to 10 might be beneficial.

There are a crapload of good weapons and armor at high level with secondary stat requirements. I'm talking post game stuff here. Every Str/Agi combatant pretty much wants 15 luck (or 13 and a luck ring) for the super endgame stuff. I also found a silly amount of incredible Pie and Pie+Int armor in post game.

Highest individual stat requirements I've found on gear was 29 Str + 18 Agi, I believe.

UCBooties

So when can I start equiping skills in my skill slots? I've learned a couple of skills that seem have added skills or actions for me, and I have a passive on my cleric that doesn't seem to be doing anything (MP Heal), when I go into the Mastery menu to try to equp skills there is no option to do so. Do skill slots only matter after you change class?

So when can I start equiping skills in my skill slots? I've learned a couple of skills that seem have added skills or actions for me, and I have a passive on my cleric that doesn't seem to be doing anything (MP Heal), when I go into the Mastery menu to try to equp skills there is no option to do so. Do skill slots only matter after you change class?

Yeah, all the skills you learn from a class are automatically equipped if you are that class.

autoduelist

So all my characters are now level 28, which means I need to seriously go class change.

I've read the above, and have a clear strat for most.

But for Samurai:
Parakeetman, you suggest:
Samurai -> Dancer -> Ninja -> Fighter (if you want but you dont really need it)

I'm curious, I'm assuming dancer for Weapon Trick? I don't use carnage back as much as I should because I fear permadeath, lol. Maybe I should just get over that fear and use it more often? (i generally just use slash or the basic fight option). My samurai is my current 'mob killer' with his critical enhanced slash 2/3. I'm just conflicted on where to take him.

For the Dancer, I have a mixed build. Sometimes works morale, but my goal is to make her my best status applier. So I'm thinking Ranger for Hunter's Secret next?

Thoughts?

I'm fully starting to grasp this game.

What I mean is that the combat both obscures its fairness and complexity, yet also leaves it sitting out in the open to be seen; there's a ton of *ku-CHUNK* where the opportunity, breadth, depth, and difficulty jump upwards.

It was definately a stretch of time where the maps felt to small and the random "thrice my HP" felt like the game was railroading me into grinding Ambushes, but it's gotten rather breezy lately. Beating lvl 30 bosses I have absolutely NO business fighting right now with a 13->14 party. That sorta thing. I guess I got another reclass or two coming up and I'll really make a push to endgame.

Parakeetman

Demo was pretty damned good. The new additions to the game really help improve the overall experience, though the games difficulty does drop quite a bit too due to the fact it is easier to get kitted out with good gear fast.

Nice too is you are able to upgrade equipment now at the shop. There seems to be caps to the + value, though spending $$$ to constantly upgrade things is a huge help. Also unique items you can have multiples which is also cool and upgrade them yourself. So no more having to fuck around with the mumic. Which while cute at first, honestly its more of a pain in the ass in the long run.

Lots of other tweaks in there like with morale cost for ambushing. So you can keep going constantly and wind up with tons of loot to take back and sell.

The new class is pretty funny the Freeman which "normally" you cant take out of the base into the dungeons. Though there is a bug you can do inserting them into your party. Looking at their skills am pretty certain they had designed it not to leave the base as having it gain exp at a normal rate unlocking all of their skills most def breaks the game due to the various bonuses it gives.

Normal enemies coming with chests now too is pretty awesome. Which are filled with random items. So its like a grab bag basically as you wont know whats in them.

The Clocker is pretty damned strong, though since its like a "Red Mage" from FF its a bit hard to decide how you want to allocate your points as it has both Cleric and Mage spells on top of its own clocker skills. Its pretty competent as a fighter also.

Doll Master while it does not equip weapons, it uses the enemy against others or itself to attack things which is pretty interesting. Though they seem to be quite fragile. Am still uncertain what stats it needs though so am sure mine was distributed wrong. Which most likely explains why she got 1 shotted.

All of the new perks and stuff are a huge help too. Like one if you dont pick any starting perk you get the chance for higher rolls which gives you some insane numbers fairly easily. Then the secondary traits are nice too.

For those who like a bit more of a challenge with the Lineage fights, playing by the games rules of the level cap challenge was pretty fun. And not too bad as long as you have decent equipment to make up for the drop in levels. If you successfully defeat the lineage species you get a bunch of extra items as a reward which is cool.

Game also added items that can increase, exp, various stats, skill slots. Pretty useful as helps take the burden of worrying about which stats to increase and the exp items are great for leveling a single character slightly faster or helping lower leveled ones pick up the slack.

Overall huge improvement to the original game that was released in 2014. This game does not contain the Oxijiyen style portraits and whatnots so that tells me the base build of this game was the Vita version. Reason why its not the X360 / PC version is due to the different monsters used. That and do think? the Vita ver has a different resolution also due to the Vita screen.

Am kinda curious if any of this stuff will make its way into Demon Gaze 2.

autoduelist

Pump multi avoid with every character to stay alive -> pump hit when you start surviving -> chip at the boss because its defensive abilities can't be bypassed/nullified -> recast everything after the boss nullifies all buffs/debuffs. Keep this up against the boss's innate healing ability and eventually it dies or you get bored. Without avoid you take thousands of damage.

They could save the player hours and hours of grinding by just removing the boss's ability to instantly dispell every debuff at the same time (while still getting his normal attacks, no less). If you cut the artificial difficulty from the game I'm pretty sure you could finish it in a day or two.

Why didn't you use Force Guard? It stops them from removing all your buffs/divinities.

Dorarnae

Demo was pretty damned good. The new additions to the game really help improve the overall experience, though the games difficulty does drop quite a bit too due to the fact it is easier to get kitted out with good gear fast.

Nice too is you are able to upgrade equipment now at the shop. There seems to be caps to the + value, though spending $$$ to constantly upgrade things is a huge help. Also unique items you can have multiples which is also cool and upgrade them yourself. So no more having to fuck around with the mumic. Which while cute at first, honestly its more of a pain in the ass in the long run.

Lots of other tweaks in there like with morale cost for ambushing. So you can keep going constantly and wind up with tons of loot to take back and sell.

The new class is pretty funny the Freeman which "normally" you cant take out of the base into the dungeons. Though there is a bug you can do inserting them into your party. Looking at their skills am pretty certain they had designed it not to leave the base as having it gain exp at a normal rate unlocking all of their skills most def breaks the game due to the various bonuses it gives.

Normal enemies coming with chests now too is pretty awesome. Which are filled with random items. So its like a grab bag basically as you wont know whats in them.

The Clocker is pretty damned strong, though since its like a "Red Mage" from FF its a bit hard to decide how you want to allocate your points as it has both Cleric and Mage spells on top of its own clocker skills. Its pretty competent as a fighter also.

Doll Master while it does not equip weapons, it uses the enemy against others or itself to attack things which is pretty interesting. Though they seem to be quite fragile. Am still uncertain what stats it needs though so am sure mine was distributed wrong. Which most likely explains why she got 1 shotted.

All of the new perks and stuff are a huge help too. Like one if you dont pick any starting perk you get the chance for higher rolls which gives you some insane numbers fairly easily. Then the secondary traits are nice too.

For those who like a bit more of a challenge with the Lineage fights, playing by the games rules of the level cap challenge was pretty fun. And not too bad as long as you have decent equipment to make up for the drop in levels. If you successfully defeat the lineage species you get a bunch of extra items as a reward which is cool.

Game also added items that can increase, exp, various stats, skill slots. Pretty useful as helps take the burden of worrying about which stats to increase and the exp items are great for leveling a single character slightly faster or helping lower leveled ones pick up the slack.

Overall huge improvement to the original game that was released in 2014. This game does not contain the Oxijiyen style portraits and whatnots so that tells me the base build of this game was the Vita version. Reason why its not the X360 / PC version is due to the different monsters used. That and do think? the Vita ver has a different resolution also due to the Vita screen.

Am kinda curious if any of this stuff will make its way into Demon Gaze 2.

interesting. will be fun to test all these thing.
the upgrade thing should be good, there's wasn't much to do with money except for saving if someone died in the post game.

Top Bottom