• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY |OT| - "We're going to need another Timmy"

YEEEEEESSSS!!!

I've bought all the Exp Inc games just to show support for their games out hope that this one would good localized. So glad the PC port finally came out! DLing it right now.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Early impressions:

Starting as a Cleric "Holy shit that hydra almost one shot me, RIU SAVE MEEEEE" lol

Music is reaaaaaaaaaaal gooooooooooooood.

Noted. Rocking KNI FIG SAM CLE WIZ DAN party since there's no pure Rogue class or other schools of magic beyond these. Lessee how bad I die.

yeah wanted to warn folks dont make the mc a caster lol.

The ninja can get pretty crazy bit will take you a while to get useful gear for one.

You can change portraits, voice and name at any point. Everything else is set in stone.

Also after spending a while doing some dungeons, came back to town and my secondary team had made like 10times more money than I've made the entire time since the start. I went and made a bunch more character to fill up every slot. Seems like even if you have no plans to use them, you probably should for the free money. They also gain xp so I guess it's pretty nice.

And one thing that I haven't seen mentionned, it seems that you can encounter much higher monsters randomly even in the first area. They don't even necessarily look different either, you can fight lvl 20 versions of the normal lvl 10 mobs, so make sure you pay attention to it cause you might get your ass kicked.

Game is taunting me with its multiclassing but I think I'll forget about it, it's gonna kill me to grind levels to get it done "properly", leveling looks slow as shit in this game, in large part due to the shitty encounter rate. I guess once I can ambush more mobs in a row instead of just one per spot it might not be as bad.

Yeah the first area due to it being connected to a higher lv zone which unlocks later on, there is some weird overflow. No idea how their encounter algorithm works but honestly that is the only thing that can explain the odd situation. Esp in particular the asshole with the axe in his head.

Parakeetman

So erm what are the recommended stats for Dancers? Not sure what role they fulfill.

if you plan to use it more for refilling morale via their sword dance skill which unlocks later, PIE, LUC, AGI

for attacking, STR, AGI, LUC

since they have skills for multiple item use, LUC will also help when they use elementless items like the explosives and such.

if you mix the dancer with a ninja they can be pretty useful. Or any class melee class after that. since their "weapon trick" skill which removes the weapon range restriction makes em highly useful.

The ninja is generally the same also for attacking stats thats why. Though you might want to go AGI STR LUC depending. Since you will still need to be able to dodge / hit things as you will still be stuck with light armor with the class.

ultra7k

Any tips for (postgame boss)
Quasar
?
I've fought him a few times but i've been having trouble. He dodges a ton and sometimes he'll just dish out absurd amounts of damage before I can really set up enough buffs to survive. What's a good range to buff hit/avoid to?

When I fought it, slowing it was pretty key, as was sniping him with my ranger and pummeling him with tri-casted omega blast. My Samurai/Ninja probably had 50ish hit after buffs? I got lucky a few times and was able stay hidden for 4 turns and then unleash critical hit on him which did massive damage while my fighter/dancer kept doing sword song to replenish the points.

Don't forget to use Light Veil on the first turn, - Ninja's Illusion skill can bypass a lot of damage while you get mitigation up. Divine Armor spell also goes a long ways on your Knight and main DPS. Don't forget to use stuff like Force Guard, Whistle etc. Basically you need to pull out all the stops (or at least I did) lol.

Yes, there is!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=205828775&postcount=995

Fighter - 28 (if you want genocide)
Knight - 21 (for the defensive passive)
Samurai - 19 (for carnage back or whatever its called)
Wizard - 27 (for master cast x 3) - 14 (for high cast x 2)
Cleric - 26 (for holy spirit, this you most def want the knight to have or other classes you dont want to die) - 25 (if you just want both mana regen passives)
Ranger - 28 (for hunters secret, a basic must if you want to make the fighter / dancer be more efficient at dealing damage with its skills) - 13 (for the skill token + pin down - dodge / hit debuff attack can be used with other weapons)
Ninja - 15 (for utsusemi or whatever they call the localized name, the hiding stuff you can skip as it wastes turns, unless you are trying to go for a pure crit character)
Dancer - 23 (for star step for melee characters as its 5 attacks on a single target) - 18 (for trick use II, use a single item 3 times. Uses 3 of selected items.)

So just to clarify, should are those the recommended levels to class change for that class? So if my MC is a Samurai, my first class change should be at level 19?

Saphirax

So just to clarify, should are those the recommended levels to class change for that class? So if my MC is a Samurai, my first class change should be at level 19?

Those are only if you want the best skills. You don't have to class change at all. I finished the game without class changing just fine.

rJIvTKD.jpg
I did it! :D
Whats the reward for
beating the next set of bonus bosses?

Vamphuntr

The game is pretty good. I'm at the part where it opens up a bit and you can choose between areas to go. Slash is really good early on :O . Is there a wiki for this game? Trying to find the plan lineage in the forest and I think I need the monster eye to find it?

Lanrutcon

Seeing how you can't save in dungeons you'll be reloading a lot. Unless it's your main character. Then feel free to suicide :p.

Ok, so let me ask this: are the bonus stats from old age worth playing a glass cannon? Max stats aren't that high and an extra 10 points seem like a big deal.

Saphirax

Ok, so let me ask this: are the bonus stats from old age worth playing a glass cannon? Max stats aren't that high and an extra 10 points seem like a big deal.

The way I did it was to have 1LP main character since they can't permanently die and the rest were 2LP.

If you're patient enough you can get a 20+ roll for your 1LP character. That's a lot of points.

3LP isn't worth it.

Lanrutcon

The way I did it was to have 1LP main character since they can't permanently die and the rest were 2LP.

If you're patient enough you can get a 20+ roll for your 1LP character. That's a lot of points.

3LP isn't worth it.

Interesting. Guess I messed up my main character? :p

autoduelist

all my chars level at the same time so i end up getting ocd and reloading if i die anyway. i should have went with 1lp chars. my plan was not to be gaming ocd this game but yeah, that didn't happen.

Lanrutcon

Depends on what you did :p. If you're still early in the game you can always restart. But unless you put points into the wrong stats you haven't really messed up that much.

Went 3LP Knight with 6 bonus points, been pumping Stamina because that 'defend everyone' skill from the intro kicked ass.

Parakeetman

Agi for..evade? Luc for?

LUC seems to effect the chance to perform 1 hit kills of your own with like katanas for example or knocking out enemies with hammers. Though have not seen any info on how that is calculated.

LUC also effects non-elemental based attack items, Demon Gaze it was the same too. Though its not like you really use those since the damage isnt all that great to begin with.

Am unsure if LUC this time around effects the non element based spells though since the JP wiki didnt mention anything on that. Unlike in Demon Gaze for example where it did. One of the high lv Wiz spells falls into that category thats why.

Parakeetman

The game is pretty good. I'm at the part where it opens up a bit and you can choose between areas to go. Slash is really good early on :O . Is there a wiki for this game? Trying to find the plan lineage in the forest and I think I need the monster eye to find it?

Not sure about a english wiki but there is a JP one that is pretty much the best resource for content. Folks seem to use google translate on it.

http://www.spoiler.jp/srv/tsurugi/

Parakeetman

Is there a decent story in this game?

There is a story but it does seem to be hit or miss with folks in the sense that some people say "tropetropetrope" others seem to like the setting.

But its not super narrative heavy like a standard JRPG. But at least there is a bit more story than the usual DRPGs.

Most of the narrative points in the game stem from when you bring back more blood crystals which are items you collect from beating the bosses in the game. So those are the trigger points for advancing the story once you meet the required amounts necessary.

Trying to get a 2H weapon for my fighter, not too sure what I should be looking for in ambushes though. If I want a 2H sword, do I look for swords? Or is there a special category for heavier swords?

Parakeetman

Trying to get a 2H weapon for my fighter, not too sure what I should be looking for in ambushes though. If I want a 2H sword, do I look for swords? Or is there a special category for heavier swords?

Usually Axes or Hammers are 2H weapons. Some Katanas too. Cant remember if there are swords also? Might have been though never used any lol.

Ok yeah there are 2H swords, so you basically would have to go after the sword chests I do believe.

Doukou

Do Merlin dolls restock or am I screwed because I used most of them?
There are 2 hand swords. I got a good one called the Three handed sword.

Usually Axes or Hammers are 2H weapons. Some Katanas too. Cant remember if there are swords also? Might have been though never used any lol.

Ok yeah there are 2H swords, so you basically would have to go after the sword chests I do believe.

Ok guess I'll keep trying, I assume the type of items is tied to your level or the zone or whatever, I only just recently started getting katanas and underwears on the ambush spots, so once axes/hammer spawn I'll hit those, but haven't seen any yet.

Parakeetman

Do Merlin dolls restock or am I screwed because I used most of them?

Store does not restock anything until you go through a new playthrough after clearing the game. So yeah wasting items in there means they are gone for good.

Yeah I do believe the item pools are tied to the dungeons and such so try the other locations to see what pops up. I dont recall seeing any info on someone doing a breakdown in regards to what can be found where in better ratios.

Ok guess I'll keep trying, I assume the type of items is tied to your level or the zone or whatever, I only just recently started getting katanas and underwears on the ambush spots, so once axes/hammer spawn I'll hit those, but haven't seen any yet.

Yeah I do believe the item pools are tied to the dungeons and such so try the other locations to see what pops up. I dont recall seeing any info on someone doing a breakdown in regards to what can be found where in better ratios.

Like for example that snow forest place had a lot of chests with the staff icon appeared.

autoduelist

oh. wow. i guess that's what i get for not studying the divinity tree.... they repeat? so 'stacking' means grabbing it more than once when it comes up again?

i thought stacking meant you needed to put more points into it right then and there. looking over the tree i'm much less worried about mispending now. most seem relatively straight forward.

tried googling some recommended divinities to no avail... any tips?

specifically, i'm curious about feedback for -- x charge, dragon fist, or charge?
spirit wall seems the obvious best from the next column.
light veil seems a clear winner too.

Lanrutcon

Guys, for class switching:

Can I start as a Knight, then go Cleric -> Ninja -> Dancer and then back to Knight permanently to complete the character?

Parakeetman

Guys, for class switching:

Can I start as a Knight, then go Cleric -> Ninja -> Dancer and then back to Knight permanently to complete the character?

As long as it is under 5 times then yes.

The main purpose of returning to your original class would be to retain all the skills without having to waste skill slots.

Nah, party of those creepy fey-turned kids when my guys were like lvl 3. idgaf...then they made me. lol

Just wait till you see the crows and harpies then lol

Parakeetman

Err ow the Lydra. What lvl should I be at?

The one
that appears when you go to meet Alm?
since if its that fight lv 6 and up. The poison it can do is one of the worst things about the fight early on with how much damage poison does at low levels.

Parakeetman

Well I killed it with most of my party at lvl 4. Didn't realize that there are multiple tabs in the spells menu. Those buffs helped a bit.

Yeah this game is all about the hit and evade status. The spells are a bit weird with how it is separated into pages like that. Now you can move on and get the new dungeons opened up!

I'm wondering, is there any story thing where I won't be able to do x or y if I don't put all my points in the same line with blood crystals, or can I just pick all the useful stuff and not care about it? I feel I want a bunch of the top line and bottom line stuff next but if it comes at a cost I think I can live without doing more spell damage or whatever.

Top Bottom