• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY |OT| - "We're going to need another Timmy"

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Sadly I'm insanely stubborn about hings like that so no higher starting stats for me.

:D should be a good time.

One other thing is starting out highly suggest making a Wizard & Cleric to put in your party once you get to the guild. Reason being is the skills each has.

Wiz = Magic Weapon damaging spirit types (elementals, slimes, golems, not undead)

Cle = Holy Weapon (damage to Immortal "undead")

I think the cost was 2 MP. Effects last till the end of battle. Not sure if they can be dispelled or not.

Without those active vs the specific enemy types you will be doing single digit damage if any.

Later on you will find weapons with +Immortal (undead) +Spirit to them that will allow you to damage said enemy types without the need for the Wiz / Cle enchants.

Also no idea what the key is on the PC ver, but the casters their spells are separated by pages. Dont think the game tells you that. With a controller its the shoulder buttons that changes the spell pages. Attack, support, etc. So when you get new spells after leveling just keep that in mind when you check and notice that some are not present on a particular page when in battle.

Parakeetman

Is there a noob guide for the character creation or as long as I don't make something too exotic I'm good?

Whatever you do unless you dont mind getting 1 shotted do not make the mc a squishy class from the get go.

with cc basically just dont mess up stat point allocation and you should be good.

Seems there's no fullscreen? Not sure where it is if there is.

Also keyboard isn't rebindable. Not a terrible issue if it detected non qwerty keyboards and rebinded stuff accordingly. With an azerty keyboard, you basically can't use wasd since z/w and q/a are inversed. Can use the arrow keys though but then you don't have strafe keys, so kinda want a gamepad to play it, or you can rebind your keys with a 3rd party program like AHK and such.

Durante

Seems there's no fullscreen? Not sure where it is if there is.

Also keyboard isn't rebindable. Not a terrible issue if it detected non qwerty keyboards and rebinded stuff accordingly. With an azerty keyboard, you basically can't use wasd since z/w and q/a are inversed. Can use the arrow keys though but then you don't have strafe keys, so kinda want a gamepad to play it, or you can rebind your keys with a 3rd party program like AHK and such.
Actually, both are there. 2nd and 3rd page of the options respectively.

The game even has built-in borderless windowed fullscreen - and 2 keybindings per action which I always appreciate.

The game even has built-in borderless windowed fullscreen - and 2 keybindings per action which I always appreciate.

Oh there's more pages to options, didn't notice that. I read about the multiple spell pages being barely noticeable and I guess that's the same. Had found a keybinds page but no way to change it there but yeah in the options you can.

ultra7k

Is there a noob guide for the character creation or as long as I don't make something too exotic I'm good?

Probably best not to go Dancer or Ninja on your first go through, though you could multi-class to those later on.

Might be better go with something hearty, like a fighter and then multi class to something squishier.

I found in the later stages of the game, my Knight was constantly on Iron Defense duty to tank the enemies.

My MC started as a fighter and transitioned to dancer. He worked as Secondary damage to the Samurai and Ranger. Word to the wise, as you multi-class, your chance to hit goes down as it is tired to your level.

gngf123

Built in borderless windowed mode really surprised me personally. Very happy with that.

Is someone going to make a thread about the PC release? Or are we all just going to continue talking in here? I thought maybe some extra attention to the PC version would be nice.

gngf123

GUYS

SUPER ULTRA CRITICAL QUESTION

WHAT IS THE MAX BONUS ROLL FOR YOUR STARTING CHARACTER

/cries

I thought that depended on the age of the character? That's what it looked like. I thought it was pretty neat.

Older characters seemed to get less life but extra max bonus. 3 points for a teenager, 10 points for a pensioner.

Lanrutcon

I thought that depended on the age of the character? That's what it looked like. I thought it was pretty neat.

Older characters seemed to get less life but extra max bonus. 3 points for a teenager, 10 points for a pensioner.

I rolled for 30 minutes. I think it's 6 for my Knight.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Guys I'm thinking of getting this, is it actually a good game? I loved Etrian Odyssey and Legend of Grimrock as well as Might and Magic X. I heard that a new version of the game will be released soon on other consoles, kind of scummy that us pc gamers are getting the old version...

autoduelist

Thanks for the information!
I like the second one a lot more than the other two. Anyway, I finally decided on a portrait, only to be informed later on that the main character is always human so now I have to choose again (can't have a character sheet <-> portrait race mismatch!).

Edit:
Oh my god it has stat rolling?
Remember those 4 hours I talked about? I won't get out of character creation.

it took me forever to get out of character creation.

For those curious, this is culled from previous posts i've made....

The TLDR version is:

Based on many thousands of rolls I'd say the odds of getting even a +7 (on top of your age base) is 1 in a thousand at best. I never saw anything higher than +7. I wouldn't recommend anyone go for higher than +6, and personally, I'd settle at +4 having been through what I've been through.

The math version:

+0/1/2 = 95% of rolls, give or take.
+3/4 = 4-5% of rolls (1 in 20ish)
+5/6 = 0.5% percent (1 in 250 rolls or so)
+7 = maybe, and I stress maybe, 1 in 1000.

People have seen higher.... but I know I don't have what it takes to try for that, and in all my rolls for all my characters I never saw even a +8, let alone better.

The % is actually worse than it sounds, once you take into consideration when you finally see a +6 or +7 you'll accidentally click past it.

Other thoughts:

Talents I went with:

Knight - invincible [he's a tank, clearly]

3rd front row clase - Fortunate [reduces ambushes, and having one char with this has helped me. game tells you when it triggers, which is nice]

Dancer - Intuition [high agi]

Wizard - Wild eye

Cleric - Educated [high piety]

if you don't have a dancer [class guaranteed to go agi], then I guess give Intuition to a Samurai if you have one since they'll go agi as well, and give your dancer replacement fortunate instead.

Durante

Wait, is educated related to piety and not intelligence?

I heard that a new version of the game will be released soon on other consoles, kind of scummy that us pc gamers are getting the old version...
Huh? That's news to me.

I thought the version with the atrocious art style change (which is thankfully optional in this) already was the new version.

gngf123

Guys I'm thinking of getting this, is it actually a good game? I loved Etrian Odyssey and Legend of Grimrock as well as Might and Magic X. I heard that a new version of the game will be released soon on other consoles, kind of scummy that us pc gamers are getting the old version...

I'm only a little bit in, but I'm enjoying it so far. I also like EO, but Grimrock not quite so much.

Had no idea about the old version. I thought this was the new version. It has both the original and the new art style.

atrocious art style change (which is thankfully optional in this)

While I wouldn't go that far, I absolutely agree.

It says a lot though that they only really added that style to begin with because the 360/Vita owning moe lovers of Japan hated the original art style.

For a long time they completely missed a demographic which would love this game.

TGMIII

Huh? That's news to me.

I thought the version with the atrocious art style change (which is thankfully optional in this) already was the new version.

"Stranger of sword city: New interpretation" is what it's called. It only got announced last month.

I'm very on the fence about picking it up because of this but then again it did originally release in 2014 on PC in Japan and it's only now available in English today but it's still a hard sell when you know there's a version with more content out there. Very surprised NISA didn't hold off until the new version released and put it on PC but maybe there's no current plans to do that.

Roughly how long is a playthrough?

autoduelist

Yeah, I stopped equipping wands and just equipped long range weapons on my back row characters instead,

okay. So i'm not missing anything. i just was stumped by that 'destruction rod' unique wand. it's got a -1hp modifier, short range [useless for a back row wizard], and if you don't even need to have it equipped to use it i can't see a single reason to equip... which made me feel like i was missing something.

re: mumic -- yeah, i haven't yet felt like i wanted to risk a run attacking one, which is why i was curious. sounds like there is no reason to.

autoduelist

Wait, is educated related to piety and not intelligence?

That's what it I read on gamefaqs [and just double checked]. it surprised me as well.

honestly, identify isn't super important because all it does is let you use things -on that run-. if it fails, an item is cursed, but everything is auto-identified and uncursed when you leave the dungeon. So you can easily just never identify anything all game, and just leave dungeons to see your lewt anyway.

though... it's nice to see what that rare katana you just picked up is...

Vamphuntr

Note of warning the PC version doesn't like the Xbox One Controller very much. Trying to use an item during battle and the menus keeps cycling non stop :(

ultra7k

"Stranger of sword city: New interpretation" is what it's called. It only got announced last month.

I'm very on the fence about picking it up because of this but then again it did originally release in 2014 on PC in Japan and it's only now available in English today but it's still a hard sell when you know there's a version with more content out there. Very surprised NISA didn't hold off until the new version released and put it on PC but maybe there's no current plans to do that.

Took me 51 hours and change to complete everything in the game on Vita.

Damn the random stats thing has a huge upper range. On one of my "normal" chars, age 40, I rolled +15 when the common roll seems to be +7 and over +10 is really low chance. I just rolled +22 on my MC after restarting(want to change a few things, mostly talents). Not really worth rolling forever, I tend to go with a +10 or higher rule for my normal characters, but still.

Parakeetman

Is this PC release a port of the Vita version, or XB1?

Id say it has to be the XB1 version due to the fact the resolution would be all wrong otherwise if they used the Vita one. If a minotaur appears as the obelisk then it is using the Black Palace data, which is the vita version. As the XBO is using the White Palace data which is the same as the X360 / PC ver.

Samaritan

So what's the consensus on the PC port job? I literally bought this on Vita already but haven't dug into it yet. Would really prefer to play on my PC, but not if the port job isn't up to snuff.

Parakeetman

Thing is the newer version was created for the Japanese fans as its based off of all the feedback gathered during a campaign they held. After that they announced the general information about the results in live streams.

Id say for now chances of NISA since its the Vita ver is the only stated version of the new one coming out is low. The game itself is unable to be updated via dlc for physical copies and in general they have said while some content such as classes and scenario were added the majority of the game is the same.

Seeing how there was a little over a year between the JP vita and NA release gives you an idea of how long of a gap there was with the whole localization period which includes the start from talks scheduling production and release.

Game development is all based around schedules and budget.

Only way you might even get the title is showing that there is enough interest in the IP through sales. Otherwise all the data shows is that its a niche market and trying to rerelease the generally same game confusing their consumers is not worth it.

Parakeetman

So what's the consensus on the PC port job? I literally bought this on Vita already but haven't dug into it yet. Would really prefer to play on my PC, but not if the port job isn't up to snuff.

There already was a PC version originally so as none of the controls from that have changed it should be the same in this. So it is not like the game was only ported recently in that aspect. Granted it is a different build than the original pc one the general framework should be the same.

I have the original pc ver which was perfectly fine and basically like playing the 360 ver on the pc if you used a controller.

gngf123

I actually just made a thread for that kind of thing: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1229177

So far, my impressions are that the port is pretty good for the most part. Tiny little hiccups here and there but no major problems.

Technically, it was originally a PC game, so it would have been surprising if there was any major problems.

Samaritan

There already was a PC version originally so as none of the controls from that have changed it should be the same in this. So it is not like the game was only ported recently in that aspect. Granted it is a different build than the original pc one the general framework should be the same.

I have the original pc ver which was perfectly fine and basically like playing the 360 ver on the pc if you used a controller.

I actually just made a thread for that kind of thing: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1229177

So far, my impressions are that the port is pretty good for the most part. Tiny little hiccups here and there but no major problems.

Technically, it was originally a PC game, so it would have been surprising if there was any major problems.

Thanks guys! I didn't know this was originally a PC game, so I feel a lot more confident playing this on PC now. Sounds like it doesn't go above 1080p though, which is a little disappointing. Would be nice to downsample the hell out of this game. Maybe someone can find a way to bump that resolution up through .ini edits or something.

Parakeetman

Thanks guys! I didn't know this was originally a PC game, so I feel a lot more confident playing this on PC now. Sounds like it doesn't go above 1080p though, which is a little disappointing. Would be nice to downsample the hell out of this game. Maybe someone can find a way to bump that resolution up through .ini edits or something.

If there is a way to visually do anyting am sure durante will find it lol

StMeph

Out on PC now, so I think that's where I'm about to pounce. But as an owner of all three available platforms, which is home to the best version of this game?

Mozendo

Bought the PC version right when it came out and now I'm off work so I can spend my night playing it!
Sorry if this has been asked before but can you change a characters portrait once it's been made? Don't want to render images right now ;_;

Mozendo

Just want to point out the game does actually run above 1080p, but you just have to set your resolution in windows to what you want to downsample to then you have to start the game. Had to do the same thing with Trails in the Sky.

Vamphuntr

I killed the first boss in the plane. It's pretty ruthless so far but games like this are usually harder in the beginning. I then died at the lineage attracted to the black candy hahaha.

What's the best way to make money?

Mozendo

GUYS

SUPER ULTRA CRITICAL QUESTION

WHAT IS THE MAX BONUS ROLL FOR YOUR STARTING CHARACTER

/cries

I just got 23
But I accidentlly re-rolled
;___;
Also your starting character/main character doesn't get his life points decreased, it says so in his trait so no need to worry about life points.

Bought the PC version right when it came out and now I'm off work so I can spend my night playing it!
Sorry if this has been asked before but can you change a characters portrait once it's been made? Don't want to render images right now ;_;

You can change portraits, voice and name at any point. Everything else is set in stone.

Also after spending a while doing some dungeons, came back to town and my secondary team had made like 10times more money than I've made the entire time since the start. I went and made a bunch more character to fill up every slot. Seems like even if you have no plans to use them, you probably should for the free money. They also gain xp so I guess it's pretty nice.

And one thing that I haven't seen mentionned, it seems that you can encounter much higher monsters randomly even in the first area. They don't even necessarily look different either, you can fight lvl 20 versions of the normal lvl 10 mobs, so make sure you pay attention to it cause you might get your ass kicked.

Game is taunting me with its multiclassing but I think I'll forget about it, it's gonna kill me to grind levels to get it done "properly", leveling looks slow as shit in this game, in large part due to the shitty encounter rate. I guess once I can ambush more mobs in a row instead of just one per spot it might not be as bad.

Any tips for (postgame boss)
Quasar
?
I've fought him a few times but i've been having trouble. He dodges a ton and sometimes he'll just dish out absurd amounts of damage before I can really set up enough buffs to survive. What's a good range to buff hit/avoid to?

Parakeetman

I can't decide between a trickster and a ranger in my party what stats do they both need aside from agility?

dancer needs piety and luck besides agi.

piety for the morale raising skill.

Ranger agi and str. agi for accuracy str for dmg.

Early impressions:

Starting as a Cleric "Holy shit that hydra almost one shot me, RIU SAVE MEEEEE" lol

Music is reaaaaaaaaaaal gooooooooooooood.

dancer needs piety and luck besides agi.

piety for the morale raising skill.

Ranger agi and str. agi for accuracy str for dmg.

Noted. Rocking KNI FIG SAM CLE WIZ DAN party since there's no pure Rogue class or other schools of magic beyond these. Lessee how bad I die.

Top Bottom