• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY |OT| - "We're going to need another Timmy"

So I'm officially an idiot. I've made this game way harder for myself than it should have ever been. I knew something was off, but couldn't put my finger on it (well I could, but I thought it was some quirky game mechanic...)

don't worry about it.
same happened to me with some spells. i noticed my wiz learned force bio and force magic but i forgot to check and cycle to the last tab. probably took me 20 hours. i utilized every cleric spell, so i guess i'm extra weird.

I ran out of whistles on the final boss. That was highly deflating.
Guess i'd better go grind for some better bows and hope they don't require piety.

that
mermaid
in the underwater area is tough. always murders one in my back row.

went to explore the
ice palace
. finally a nice looking area again. one direction was fine, the other had
lizards
mowing down everything. i think i'll go the other way for now.

redcrayon

I ran out of whistles on the final boss. That was highly deflating.
Guess i'd better go grind for some better bows and hope they don't require piety.
You could also start ambushing for rods and see if a whistle staff comes up? I had two at one point. Can't remember which dungeon I got them from though, either the mines or underwater.

redcrayon

that
mermaid
in the underwater area is tough. always murders one in my back row.

went to explore the
ice palace
. finally a nice looking area again. one direction was fine, the other had
lizards
mowing down everything. i think i'll go the other way for now.
The teleport stone in the ice palace is close to an ambush area- I abused that and spent a good hour thieving loot!

ultra7k

I've got the key for it, but I think I may have been tired when I read the text. Could someone enlighten me as to where to access the Ice Palace?

The teleport stone in the ice palace is close to an ambush area- I abused that and spent a good hour thieving loot!

yea, i'm gonna try those soon. i couldn't handle them the first time and one of those has a lineage mauling you for 1k. maybe i can do it now. already killed the boss of the area, was easier than those ambush points.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
yea, i'm gonna try those soon. i couldn't handle them the first time and one of those has a lineage mauling you for 1k. maybe i can do it now. already killed the boss of the area, was easier than those ambush points.

I had always found the
spikes + ice floor
there to be highly amusing when not paying attention...

dkoy

Goddamn after almost a whole month I finally got my LE. Thanks Belgian Post/Customs. Kinda lost the excitement to play this but it's good to finally have it in my hands.

Gee it's great I get to enjoy the wonderful art in this game. The font of this Re-roll button is especially captivating.

dkoy

This game has made me realise and rethink my over-reliance on the ability to force my team to keep fighting until death with no consequence. 7 days is so damn long to recover one life point :/

Parakeetman

This game has made me realise and rethink my over-reliance on the ability to force my team to keep fighting until death with no consequence. 7 days is so damn long to recover one life point :/

yeah this game gives you the ability to run for a reason so try not to keep throwing your team at a brick wall lol

it really is nice that you get the skill from the get go once.

not happy with the
sudden spike at kyo and his pet. i was fairly confident after beating every 5 star available but this duo sometimes killed half my party on the first turn. had to use a couple revival items in the end because nothing was working. that wasn't the main issue though. the main issue were 2 cutscenes before this fight i had to skip every time, which made this more tedious than it should be.

hawk2025

A little more help if anyone can:

I've killed the Ghost on the underwater level. I *believe* based on what's currently on the list of lineage types that I'll have to do the
Spider -> Dragon 1/2 punch
next. Is that true? It seems like I need some type of item to proceed to the next area underwater, and the same for the mines, where the lever does not work.

Is the spoilered above the only path to progress left?

Dorarnae

I've killed the Ghost on the underwater level. I *believe* based on what's currently on the list of lineage types that I'll have to do the
next. Is that true? It seems like I need some type of item to proceed to the next area underwater, and the same for the mines, where the lever does not work.

yeah you need to complete some quest before you can proceed to the second part of the underwater map. probably the quest in the mine too.

hawk2025

yeah you need to complete some quest before you can proceed to the second part of the underwater map. probably the quest in the mine too.

Yesss done :)

Survived the
Dragon
fight by a hair, but it's done.

3 Blood Crystals only, though, one to go, and nowhere else to go since that didn't drop any keys. Hhhmmm... may have to kill the level 33 lineage on the poison map?

Parakeetman

Yesss done :)

Survived the
Dragon
fight by a hair, but it's done.

3 Blood Crystals only, though, one to go, and nowhere else to go since that didn't drop any keys. Hhhmmm... may have to kill the level 33 lineage on the poison map?

yeah usually when the story stops means time to stomp more lineage species for those sweet sweet blood crystals lol

redcrayon

You should be able to get into the mines- have you completed the quest for the lady in the white village (to go and find a missing package)?
Ultimately, once you've handed it in, that leads to you getting a key made by Gillius that fits the lever to lead down there. There's a scene where you are thrown out of the entrance to the mine but not before the npc girl in the beanie hat can make a cast of the key required

Took a while but it is finally here.

1gTQB.png

How long did it take? I ordered mine Thursday (surprised that the total even with shipping was cheaper than digital) and it claims it will be here today or tomorrow.

Shipping to US btw. Kinda excited to own it physical

Mine went from Singapore - > Indian city 1 -> indian city 2 -> indian city 1 -> indian city 3 :/

So yea took a while. Reached from Singapore to India within 10 days though.

Im happy with my first import Xbox One game. :)

Parakeetman

How long did it take? I ordered mine Thursday (surprised that the total even with shipping was cheaper than digital) and it claims it will be here today or tomorrow.

Shipping to US btw. Kinda excited to own it physical

Yeah its kinda funny I heard other folks say the same thing that buying the physical version is cheaper than the digital one lol.

Though am guessing thats with play asias free shipping or something?

Took a while but it is finally here.

1gTQB.png

Oh nice! You know would be great if MS had more dev support with smaller studios that way the West could have gotten physical copies in at least some of the larger regions. As the cover similar to the PC version or what is displayed on the Xbox store would have been cool.

Yeah its kinda funny I heard other folks say the same thing that buying the physical version is cheaper than the digital one lol.

Though am guessing thats with play asias free shipping or something?

Oh nice! You know would be great if MS had more dev support with smaller studios that way the West could have gotten physical copies in at least some of the larger regions. As the cover similar to the PC version or what is displayed on the Xbox store would have been cool.
I ordered From JP Amazon who offers international shipping on it. The price to US dollars after Yen conversion was like $26 and then it costs $9 shipping so $35 total (digital currently runs for $40.50).

DHL tracking number shows today as expected delivery date but it also said it just left the warehouse in
Japan this morning haha. Not holding my breathe but at least it's on the way.

As for smaller games having physical editions I agree it would be awesome. LRG is doing it for PS4 and Vita games but can't for XB1 copies because MS has a lot higher minimum disc order apparently whereas Sony only has a minimum of like 2,000 copies. Would be amazing to get the same treatment for some nice indie titles. Sigh

Parakeetman

I ordered From JP Amazon who offers international shipping on it. The price to US dollars after Yen conversion was like $26 and then it costs $9 shipping so $35 total (digital currently runs for $40.50).

DHL tracking number shows today as expected delivery date but it also said it just left the warehouse in

As for smaller games having physical editions I agree it would be awesome. LRG is doing it for PS4 and Vita games but can't for XB1 copies because MS has a lot higher minimum disc order apparently whereas Sony only has a minimum of like 2,000 copies. Would be amazing to get the same treatment for some nice indie titles. Sigh

Stuff shipped from Japan seems to be fairly fast. Like when I send stuff EMS to the Easy Coast sometimes it takes even l ess than a week. Pretty crazy.

Oh damn its arriving by DHL and the shipping wasn only 9 bucks? Thats crazy cheap considering DHL is like the most expensive of the 3 companies. Or at least I considered them to be.

It is a shame that there is a higher minimum disc order with MS. Since Id imagine there is a market on the platform too for those who like to collect titles.

redcrayon

not happy with the
sudden spike at kyo and his pet. i was fairly confident after beating every 5 star available but this duo sometimes killed half my party on the first turn. had to use a couple revival items in the end because nothing was working. that wasn't the main issue though. the main issue were 2 cutscenes before this fight i had to skip every time, which made this more tedious than it should be.
I got caught there for a while too, easily the toughest boss for me until I started
abusing light veil to stop the dragon attacking from the back row.
Feels like I cheesed it, but I just couldn't handle the creatures melee attacks with the kit/party I had at the time.

I got caught there for a while too, easily the toughest boss for me until I started
abusing light veil to stop the dragon attacking from the back row.
Feels like I cheesed it, but I just couldn't handle the creatures melee attacks with the kit/party I had at the time.
i just said screw it and brutforced my way to win. ignored front/back row since i only had my ranger and a wizard to do big dmg to the back. they both died close together. who needs tactics when the enemy is just doing insane damage and nothing else, eh.

Ephidel

I'm earlier in the game than most of you (the second lot of dungeons is unlocked) and had to swap out a couple of characters for backups after I had to send my Warrior and Mage to recuperate for a while, and I decided to try out some bosses anyway.

I was surprised to find that my new party works so much better, but that's kind of offset by the fact it's the world's stupidest party x_x

I'm now running Nin/Nin/Cle|Ran/Cle/Cle, (which before was Nin/Nin/War|Ran/Cle/Wiz) because most of my backup characters are set as Clerics (... I'm pursuing mass Holy Soul. Feel free to judge).

To my surprise I then proceeded to walk all over the Ghost Town bosses after previously barely getting the first of them without half my party being wiped out (and reloading because of it).

The same team then stomped on the mines, though I lost my Ranger in the process and now need to futz around a bit so she can recuperate because going underwater without her seems like a horrible idea and I refuse to pay the toll to free her up faster.

I do want to take a moment though just to say that Ninjas are freaking awesome. I had no idea how much I was going to enjoy my Ninja duo and I'm almost dreading re-classing them when it's time because it's not what I intended either of them to be in the end, but I want other skills on them too so it will have to happen at some point even if I re-determine their end state.

I have to ask a question about dialogue options though. I actually reloaded to go through the Phoenix Brotherhood quest turn-in so I could choose to say something different and now my illusion of choice is thoroughly busted. Does what you say ever matter?

Parakeetman

I'm earlier in the game than most of you (the second lot of dungeons is unlocked) and had to swap out a couple of characters for backups after I had to send my Warrior and Mage to recuperate for a while, and I decided to try out some bosses anyway.

I was surprised to find that my new party works so much better, but that's kind of offset by the fact it's the world's stupidest party x_x

I'm now running Nin/Nin/Cle|Ran/Cle/Cle, (which before was Nin/Nin/War|Ran/Cle/Wiz) because most of my backup characters are set as Clerics (... I'm pursuing mass Holy Soul. Feel free to judge).

To my surprise I then proceeded to walk all over the Ghost Town bosses after previously barely getting the first of them without half my party being wiped out (and reloading because of it).

The same team then stomped on the mines, though I lost my Ranger in the process and now need to futz around a bit so she can recuperate because going underwater without her seems like a horrible idea and I refuse to pay the toll to free her up faster.

I do want to take a moment though just to say that Ninjas are freaking awesome. I had no idea how much I was going to enjoy my Ninja duo and I'm almost dreading re-classing them when it's time because it's not what I intended either of them to be in the end, but I want other skills on them too so it will have to happen at some point even if I re-determine their end state.

I have to ask a question about dialogue options though. I actually reloaded to go through the Phoenix Brotherhood quest turn-in so I could choose to say something different and now my illusion of choice is thoroughly busted. Does what you say ever matter?

Dont think so? Since the only thing that seems to effect the story is the blood crystal stuff

piggychan

Yea same ordered from amazon.jp and was surprised to see it arrive here in UK in like 3 days via courier.

Ephidel

Dont think so? Since the only thing that seems to effect the story is the blood crystal stuff
Whoops, I took too long editing in what I meant ^^;

I didn't actually mean an entirely different plot or anything, I just meant the flavour text differing to imply anyone gives a damn what you say.
For example, of the four questions in the brotherhood room (each with three options) only one of them has an option that actually triggers a slightly modified answer (and I mean slightly - two give "Excuses" and the third gives "How idiotic" before moving on to the rest of the shared text). As for the others, they all play out exactly the same regardless of what you say. Gurrba has a question where all three options trigger different text, but that's followed by Anna who has two questions, the first of which gives the same response either way and the second of which has one option that differs. For some reason I thought there'd be a little more variance.

ultra7k

arrgh, stupid Noble Maidens! far more frustrating than the major story fight that precedes it by a couple hours....

Any tips? I can barely get them down to 90% before they heal for full anyways! Not having magic doesn't help either.

Parakeetman

Whoops, I took too long editing in what I meant ^^;

I didn't actually mean an entirely different plot or anything, I just meant the flavour text differing to imply anyone gives a damn what you say.
For example, of the four questions in the brotherhood room (each with three options) only one of them has an option that actually triggers a slightly modified answer (and I mean slightly - two give "Excuses" and the third gives "How idiotic" before moving on to the rest of the shared text). As for the others, they all play out exactly the same regardless of what you say. Gurrba has a question where all three options trigger different text, but that's followed by Anna who has two questions, the first of which gives the same response either way and the second of which has one option that differs. For some reason I thought there'd be a little more variance.

Yeah dont recall anything major ray gigant is similar. Or more it starts with various dialog choices then they kinda stop occurring like it was unable to fit in the dev schedule lol

arrgh, stupid Noble Maidens! far more frustrating than the major story fight that precedes it by a couple hours....

Any tips? I can barely get them down to 90% before they heal for full anyways! Not having magic doesn't help either.

those up in the tower? i used a fighter with a bow and a ranger. good damage when they moved out of range. you need at least 2 damage dealers to kill them. and use angel mirror to block their shit until they dispel it. cleric is always good for utility, even if magic is blocked.

I had always found the
spikes + ice floor
there to be highly amusing when not paying attention...

When I was there I forgot I could
disable the spike traps
... and kept running into them, wondering WTF were they thinking putting such damaging things that you couldn't avoid :p

Needless to say, once remembered they could be disabled, the area became SIGNIFICANTLY easier, lol.

Yeah, don't believe their lies in saying ninjas are hard to use. They're crazy powerful; later on they keep hidden on their own, and assassinate does great damage. The final skill they get, critical hit, is INSANE. Stay hidden for at least 4 rounds, then activate it and laugh at the ludicrous damage.

At end game, my wizard does most of the round-to-round damage by enhance -> triple-casting Tri-Bolt, then my ninja delivers the coupe-de-grace in 4-5 rounds. Everybody else in the party is just basically on support duty for those two.

Parakeetman

When I was there I forgot I could
disable the spike traps
... and kept running into them, wondering WTF were they thinking putting such damaging things that you couldn't avoid :p

Needless to say, once remembered they could be disabled, the area became SIGNIFICANTLY easier, lol.

Yeah, don't believe their lies in saying ninjas are hard to use. They're crazy powerful; later on they keep hidden on their own, and assassinate does great damage. The final skill they get, critical hit, is INSANE. Stay hidden for at least 4 rounds, then activate it and laugh at the ludicrous damage.

At end game, my wizard does most of the round-to-round damage by enhance -> triple-casting Tri-Bolt, then my ninja delivers the coupe-de-grace in 4-5 rounds. Everybody else in the party is just basically on support duty for those two.

Its kinda weird that they let you disarm them in the first place. Since it kinda takes away from the whole general danger of them lol. It should have been stepping on X loc makes them appear, then you can disarm them. Not like being visible from the start. More pitfall traps would have been amusing if there were more multiple floor dungeons. Having a skill that allows you to avoid those would have been interesting.

Yeah Ninjas are pretty useful when combined with other classes or if you keep a pure one you get some decent equipment for them. Which usually takes forever lol.

Moofers

I lost 2 hours of progress the other day because I was playing on Vita and hadn't thought to save in a while. Then I found a boss and got bodied. Game over. Load last save? ...2 hours ago. LOL.

This game has me hooked. I'm still way early in it (only recently unlocked the snow forest, junk desert, and one other place) but I'm having a great time with it. I can tell this is one I will definitely see to the end.

My party consists of:

Fighter
Knight
Fighter
Ranger
Cleric
Wizard

Its working out pretty well so far but granted I am early on. Anyone see room for improvement there?

Parakeetman

I lost 2 hours of progress the other day because I was playing on Vita and hadn't thought to save in a while. Then I found a boss and got bodied. Game over. Load last save? ...2 hours ago. LOL.

This game has me hooked. I'm still way early in it (only recently unlocked the snow forest, junk desert, and one other place) but I'm having a great time with it. I can tell this is one I will definitely see to the end.

My party consists of:

Fighter
Knight
Fighter
Ranger
Cleric
Wizard

Its working out pretty well so far but granted I am early on. Anyone see room for improvement there?

You might want more crowd control later on so either turn a fighter into a samurai for the slash skill or get a new samurai.

The fighters random attack isnt that reliable for crowd control thats why lol.

Ephidel

Yeah dont recall anything major ray gigant is similar. Or more it starts with various dialog choices then they kinda stop occurring like it was unable to fit in the dev schedule lol
You know, I hadn't really thought about it until you said it but you're right. Ichiya's segment did have dialogue options, but I can't seem to think of anything except food choices as far as the others go. That's kind of a shame.

SoSC does have some options which end up being satisfying when they do follow through at least.
I mean, how could I not choose this one?
(Image from Call From Kyo)
... it was followed up by this, mind you ¬_¬

Oh, and I really like this guy.
(Image from the end of the Black Baron/Phoenix Squad quest)
Zgq6J6Y.jpg
sRBeC4d.jpg
I like the design, but I was also going to say that he and Dranserk had my favourite voices by far so far... and then I looked them up and realised they were voiced by the same person (and that he voices Conner too) ^^

Mine aren't high enough level for that yet but I imagine it could be fun :)
They're already pretty decent damage dealers, and with Shadow Sew as well they're just incredibly useful (but then I expected that after how often I exploited Cross Fix in Demon Gaze ^^)

My party consists of:

Fighter
Knight
Fighter
Ranger
Cleric
Wizard

Yeah, you need a Samurai for crowd control, as it will get pretty out of hand later since you'll encounter crowds that keep summoning more the longer they stay alive (they're a great source of EXP though, especially the zombies in the mines).

My experience with a fighter is sort of up and down. They aren't reliable crowd controllers at the start, but midway through my fighter became my highest damager with berserk. Then she became useless again near the end when all her big skills (berserk, genocide) whiff most of the time from the later enemies' high evasion, and my ninja and wizard out damage her considerably. In the end she was basically just there to blow whistles and feed my wizard MP restoration items.

finished the main story. terrific game. overall i'm pleased. hopefully they'll make a true follow-up with the same main artist.

now doing some post game to unlock the rest of the trophies.

btw i like fighter. my main char is one. he doesn't miss much, in fact, i think he has been my highest damage dealer most of the game. genocide is a cool ability. sometimes i use 2 of them. couldn't make samurai work, but i switch one in from time to time for fun.

ultra7k

Question about the final(?) dungeon:

Stupidly went through and blew my MP on Alm, and then got whooped by Marilith, should I expect another fight afterwords or is that the end? Just need to know how conservatively I need to fight

Thanks!

Question about the final(?) dungeon:

Stupidly went through and blew my MP on Alm, and then got whooped by Marilith, should I expect another fight afterwords or is that the end? Just need to know how conservatively I need to fight

Thanks!

If you're on the Riu ending, Marilith is the last fight yes.

autoduelist

1) Is there an easy way to tell if an item is unique from the inventory? I notice it usually is a 'rare sword' or whatever, and there seems to be more flavor text 'first sword ever made in sword city' or whatever, but i'm wondering if there is a simple way to tell.

2) If I equip, say, a 60x1 weapon to my fighter, when I look at his stats under 'fighting efficiency' it will show, say, 104x1 instead. Other units get similar 'bonuses'. What is causing all my team to hit above the weapon stats? Is damage simply being affected by str (agi for thrown?)? That would be cool.

Really liking the friendly interface in general --- super fast auto-walk from map, super-fast combat against mobs... all of that makes me happy.

Top Bottom