• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY |OT| - "We're going to need another Timmy"

BearChair

Is there any word about a Vita demo similar to the one on XBox?

I'm looking for a fun RPG to hold me over until Shiren the Wanderer arrives in July, and I'm a big fan of the Etrian Odyssey series.

I'm not quite curious enough to buy this blind, but I'd love a demo to help me make up my mind.

TheYanger

That spot is the real deal, but I can't beat the golden one for the life of me.

Yeah they're rough. There's one naturally in the ice place but you can't use skills there so it's AWFUL. Need actual +spirit weapons or something. Can't use magic weapon or the spirit attack. Thing heals like 40 a turn.

JPS Kai

Yeah they're rough. There's one naturally in the ice place but you can't use skills there so it's AWFUL. Need actual +spirit weapons or something. Can't use magic weapon or the spirit attack. Thing heals like 40 a turn.

Katanas certainly come in handy there, I bet.

Since I just finished
Kyo and padded this spoiler with wanting to talk about cats. They're cute
, I shouldn't be too far from there right?

Shizuka

I remember some japanese wikis with complete map layout for previous Experience games, does anyone know one for this game?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

I'm looking for a fun RPG to hold me over until Shiren the Wanderer arrives in July, and I'm a big fan of the Etrian Odyssey series.

I'm not quite curious enough to buy this blind, but I'd love a demo to help me make up my mind.

In japan there was no vita demo which means one would have to be made and since nothing was announced we can guess there will be none.

There was only a pc demo in japan dont recall the 360 having one either.

TheYanger

Oh, regarding the yellow flowers, they actually heal for like 140 a turn, totally impossible to outdps that normally afaik. I now remember how I managed to get the one in the frost place and what should work in that grind spot too: Requiem. It's hard to get it to stick but just highcast it until it works. I've managed to get a spawn there of yellow + blue + red, couldn't remember how to do it until after I lost the yellow one though :( I imagine that pushes 60k xp though if you kill all 3.

I have some questions:
  1. Is there a way I can tell the type of the monster whether it's spirit, immortal, creature, etc. from first encounter or I have to check the monster encyclopedia after the battle?
  2. Sometimes when I explore a dungeon I hear a sound like the menu sound effect, what's that supposed to mean?
  3. Mimic doesn't appear even when I use Hide then defeat the monsters and select Mimic from options, it doesn't work?
  4. The monsters I fight are way higher than me but still get low exp. What is the best way to grind in this game?
  5. When I use the Divinity skill that prevents monsters from running away, they still run away XD What should I do?

Thanks in advance

TheYanger

I have some questions:
  1. Is there a way I can tell the type of the monster whether it's spirit, immortal, creature, etc. from first encounter or I have to check the monster encyclopedia after the battle?
  2. Sometimes when I explore a dungeon I hear a sound like the menu sound effect, what's that supposed to mean?
  3. Mimic doesn't appear even when I use Hide then defeat the monsters and select Mimic from options, it doesn't work?
  4. The monsters I fight are way higher than me but still get low exp. What is the best way to grind in this game?
  5. When I use the Divinity skill that prevents monsters from running away, they still run away XD What should I do?

Thanks in advance

-Not that I know of, but it's MOSTLY intuitive and obvious once you're used to it. Spirits are elementals or slimes, immortals are undead.
-The sound you're hearing is your Mana Heal activating (Took me a while to figure that out too).
-After hiding the thing that pops up is actually a list of the types of traps that chest can contain, and it tells you how common they all are for that type of chest. When you pick 'mimic' you're actually guaranteeing that a mimic doesn't spawn, because you're trying to guess what you should disarm. The mimic trap is pretty rare, and it's not Mumic the guy you talk to, it's a legit Mimic that will try to kill you.
-Monster level is not really analagous to player level. Just get a feel for what level you're handling ok and move up from there. For example my only un-changed characgter (my ranger) is level 26 or so in my game, and I can pretty easily dispatch anything level 45 or under. Even early in the game teen monsters aren't bad.
-I didn't realize there WAS a divinity skill that was supposed to prevent monsters from running away? I don't think there's any way to keep a transporter present with you if it's not killed fast enough. Without turning my game on to look at all of them, I would wonder if maybe what the skill does is prevent a monster from moving to a back row or something. Running away in THAT manner happens all the time and can be super annoying, so maybe it's like a 'hey you're stuck in row 1' thing?

Regarding chests: Generally you want to disarm the most common/annoying thing for you, but I've got a few general rules that I've been following that work ok.
-Given the choice between Needle and Explosion, choose explosion. They do the same thing but Needle tickles and explosion will almost kill you, even though needle is far more common, the price of being wrong when Explosion is there is awful.
-Poison Gas is almost always my default choice if it's there, curing poison either wastes a ton of items or a bunch of mana and time. I would rather multi-cure than spam cure poison 6 times.
-Mimic and Teleporter are both EXTREMELY rare. Mimics are easy to kill, and Teleporters can't kill you, but teleporter WILL cause you to lose your loot (You get ported away before you open the chest after all), so if you really want that chest, pick teleporter, if you're worried about the danger involved teleporter is a non-issue.
-Lich's Hand does almost nothing meaningful, I only pick it if it's a choice between that and needle or one of the rare ones or something.

Given those little rules, I would generally disarm in this order:
Poison Gas
Explosion (Put this first if you're missing much health, poison you can cure it's just annoying)
Needle
Mimic
Teleporter (Do this first if you're totally healthy but really want the loot, IE it's a gold chest of an item type you want, etc), also if you just don't want to potentially be inconvenienced by moving and you're totally healthy and don't care about damage.
Lich's Hand

DoT2

Im having an issue getting past the Creating character screen on the xbox one trial. I try to name my character and my keyboard just freezes. Pressing the guide button or anything on my controller doesnt work have to do full on hard reset everytime. Keyboard always freezes at that point.(talking virtual xbox keyboard)

-Not that I know of, but it's MOSTLY intuitive and obvious once you're used to it. Spirits are elementals or slimes, immortals are undead.
-The sound you're hearing is your Mana Heal activating (Took me a while to figure that out too).
-After hiding the thing that pops up is actually a list of the types of traps that chest can contain, and it tells you how common they all are for that type of chest. When you pick 'mimic' you're actually guaranteeing that a mimic doesn't spawn, because you're trying to guess what you should disarm. The mimic trap is pretty rare, and it's not Mumic the guy you talk to, it's a legit Mimic that will try to kill you.
-Monster level is not really analagous to player level. Just get a feel for what level you're handling ok and move up from there. For example my only un-changed characgter (my ranger) is level 26 or so in my game, and I can pretty easily dispatch anything level 45 or under. Even early in the game teen monsters aren't bad.
-I didn't realize there WAS a divinity skill that was supposed to prevent monsters from running away? I don't think there's any way to keep a transporter present with you if it's not killed fast enough. Without turning my game on to look at all of them, I would wonder if maybe what the skill does is prevent a monster from moving to a back row or something. Running away in THAT manner happens all the time and can be super annoying, so maybe it's like a 'hey you're stuck in row 1' thing?

Regarding chests: Generally you want to disarm the most common/annoying thing for you, but I've got a few general rules that I've been following that work ok.
-Given the choice between Needle and Explosion, choose explosion. They do the same thing but Needle tickles and explosion will almost kill you, even though needle is far more common, the price of being wrong when Explosion is there is awful.
-Poison Gas is almost always my default choice if it's there, curing poison either wastes a ton of items or a bunch of mana and time. I would rather multi-cure than spam cure poison 6 times.
-Mimic and Teleporter are both EXTREMELY rare. Mimics are easy to kill, and Teleporters can't kill you, but teleporter WILL cause you to lose your loot (You get ported away before you open the chest after all), so if you really want that chest, pick teleporter, if you're worried about the danger involved teleporter is a non-issue.
-Lich's Hand does almost nothing meaningful, I only pick it if it's a choice between that and needle or one of the rare ones or something.

Given those little rules, I would generally disarm in this order:
Poison Gas
Explosion (Put this first if you're missing much health, poison you can cure it's just annoying)
Needle
Mimic
Teleporter (Do this first if you're totally healthy but really want the loot, IE it's a gold chest of an item type you want, etc), also if you just don't want to potentially be inconvenienced by moving and you're totally healthy and don't care about damage.
Lich's Hand

Thank you very much. Found it very useful.

So, the Mimic that you give it rare items is not the same! Where can I find it?

TheYanger

He's just randomly around. Don't know any way you can forcibly meet him. He pops up reasonably frequently. I'll often find him 2-3 times in a row at the same spot, which is annoying.

Im having an issue getting past the Creating character screen on the xbox one trial. I try to name my character and my keyboard just freezes. Pressing the guide button or anything on my controller doesnt work have to do full on hard reset everytime. Keyboard always freezes at that point.(talking virtual xbox keyboard)

Weird o_O, hard reset the console? (Hold power button down until it turns off).

Parakeetman

He's just randomly around. Don't know any way you can forcibly meet him. He pops up reasonably frequently. I'll often find him 2-3 times in a row at the same spot, which is annoying.

Weird o_O, hard reset the console? (Hold power button down until it turns off).

If you want to get him to repop faster keep hiding, leave dungeon, hide more, repeat till the enemy symbols in the dungeon reappear is one way JP players and myself did it. As apparently hiding is one way to "progress time" in a dungeon to get things to repop which is weird.

Yeah the mumic is different. It will appear at random. Most of the time Ive found it from the enemy icons in the dungeon. At least those are the times that I clearly remember lol.

Also do not suggest attempting to fight it. As that thing is insanely strong. Im still curious as to what would happen if you defeat it though, if thats even possible lol

If you want to get him to repop faster keep hiding, leave dungeon, hide more, repeat till the enemy symbols in the dungeon reappear is one way JP players and myself did it. As apparently hiding is one way to "progress time" in a dungeon to get things to repop which is weird.

Yeah the mumic is different. It will appear at random. Most of the time Ive found it from the enemy icons in the dungeon. At least those are the times that I clearly remember lol.

Also do not suggest attempting to fight it. As that thing is insanely strong. Im still curious as to what would happen if you defeat it though, if thats even possible lol

Thank you both :)

wait, we'll get shiren on vita and physical too. fuck me, this is great and totally unexpected to me. been waiting forever for a follow-up, yay.

Shizuka

Ugh, I don't know what's worse, the "no skills dungeon" or the "no spells" one. They both suck, but I have to beat one of them because I've done everything else up to this point.

TheYanger

Ugh, I don't know what's worse, the "no skills dungeon" or the "no spells" one. They both suck, but I have to beat one of them because I've done everything else up to this point.

The only thing I have left in 'no spells' is the very last lineage down at the depths, it's only level 35-40 but it just does some super bullshit that always leaves someone dead, and it heals a lot. Otherwise that was one of the easiest dungeons in the game, yeah you can't use spells but nothing does any damage because of it.

No skills has been more annoying so far, but also easy. The biggest issue there for me has been that I can't run iron defense on my knight so the other frontline fighters get beat the fuck up, I can still defend on him though to mostly protect the backline. It just feels a bit more RNG because you have no consistent protection.

Shizuka

The game is getting a bit stale for me. When enemies get "tough" for me, it's not about strategy or anything, but it's all about grinding. It all comes down to grinding for EXP or relying on RNG for better equipments. If you get to a tough boss and your strategy is airtight, you can still get wrecked because of EXP and equipments, even if you fight every single enemy you face and ambush plenty before facing it.

It's not hard because it's making you learn the game, it's hard because it stops you from advancing to grind some more. That's just as bad as DT2 post-game, except here it's an entire game.

And yes, this is my opinion, for those that are used to attacking mine, that's how opinions work.

Parakeetman

The only thing I have left in 'no spells' is the very last lineage down at the depths, it's only level 35-40 but it just does some super bullshit that always leaves someone dead, and it heals a lot. Otherwise that was one of the easiest dungeons in the game, yeah you can't use spells but nothing does any damage because of it.

No skills has been more annoying so far, but also easy. The biggest issue there for me has been that I can't run iron defense on my knight so the other frontline fighters get beat the fuck up, I can still defend on him though to mostly protect the backline. It just feels a bit more RNG because you have no consistent protection.

Pretty much the no skills one is the section people disliked as things do slow down a bit if you have a normal party. Not to mention makes combat in general a bit boring. As you said things can get random due to that.

The no magic zones is something folks are used to so there was no real opinion on that one.

One thing that they need to bring back are either torches or light spells. As while darkzones are ok, when you have an excessive use of sections that are dark just because becomes a bit of a hassle.

TheYanger

The game is getting a bit stale for me. When enemies get "tough" for me, it's not about strategy or anything, but it's all about grinding. It all comes down to grinding for EXP or relying on RNG for better equipments. If you get to a tough boss and your strategy is airtight, you can still get wrecked because of EXP and equipments, even if you fight every single enemy you face and ambush plenty before facing it.

It's not hard because it's making you learn the game, it's hard because it stops you from advancing to grind some more. That's just as bad as DT2 post-game, except here it's an entire game.

And yes, this is my opinion, for those that are used to attacking mine, that's how opinions work.

I'm not going to claim it's got super deep strategies, but I've barely ground at all in the game and I haven't had significant issues. Any time I think I'm at a dead end I go somewhere else/fight something else and it's not so bad. I mostly use the same strategies on any given boss, with a bit of variation depending on what they're doing to me, but my point is: If I'm not grinding a lot and I'm doing fine, you could probably do the same, which means perhaps there's more strategy than you're giving it credit for? "I'm losing, it must be because my level isn't high enough, not that I'm doing something wrong" is basically what it sounds like you're saying, but evidence says that it's probably a lot less black and white than that. This is something you see in MMOs a lot, people discount the possibility that they're playing poorly or incorrectly as an answer as to why others succeed where they did not. And please don't take it as an insult that I'm better than you or anything, that's really not the point and reading that from what I'm saying is the same kind of mistake those same MMO players would make. My point is that it's folly to assume you have no growth you can do as a player, and that by determining that you can't, you're limiting your ability to learn and improve. I'm 100% sure that there are LOTS of things I could do better in this game too, as there are bosses I'm struggling with currently, but I haven't yet resorted to grinding to accomplish those things.

Here's my 'general' strat for killing almost anything: Healing Divinity up at all times. it lasts for a long time so this is trivial and it reduces your overhead significantly. Any turn where I'm reapplying it, I try to go VERY defensive to make sure I don't die because I'm wasting my divinity that turn. Magic damage reduction divinity up any time there's a heavily magic oriented boss, there haven't been many of these so far, but it lasts a few turns for me and it's easy to keep 100% uptime on it. Physical damage reduction divinity every turn otherwise, you can never be too safe and MOST of the bosses have some bullshit physical attack they'll unload constantly. Iron Defense on my knight, this has very high odds of intercepting absolutely anything, and he's best equipped to deal with it (Though it can get him killed from time to time, that's usually a sign that I should go to another area though since the damage must be crazy fro it to happen), Illusion from my Ninja when anyone is in danger of dying from a hit, or if I'm reapplying the healing divinity/need to be defensive for some reason. DPS from warrior unless she's dying, then I'll defend. Cleric will Holy Shield if nothing else needs to happen, otherwise I'm triaging with multicure, high cure, or High Cast'ing Multi-avoid. Wizard often spends a lot fo the fight high-casting Multi-avoid or multi-hit. I've found wizard spells to generally be kind of weak and my physical fighters are more than sufficient at most dps, so I prefer to use him as a support. If I need to he can sign Sword Song to refill morale, but you can go a LOOOONG time even using a divinity every single turn before that's necessary. Ranger in the last slot just does pure dps. He's my most consistent damage dealer besides my ninja because he needs no support, basically never misses, and hits very hard.

Honestly, the biggest thing for me strategy wise has always been divinity management. They do a ton for you and you need to change what people are doing based on the situation at hand pretty often, both divinity abilities and the defensive abilities from your cleric/knight/front-line. Anyone that is low, have them defend, it gives a HUGE defense boost, they take something ridiculous like 10% damage while defending. The hardest part is making sure you don't fall behind on triaging your team. Once things start to crumble it's over. If you've got a consistent strat that is working, don't change it up, I've made this mistake too many times (Oh the boss is low and everyone is full, I'll assassinate instead of illusioning, WHOOPS there went my fucking wizard).

Edit: Obviously the divinities we have access to are probably different, but they give you the baseline of all three major ones early in the game, so while my healing divinity is strong (20% a turn for the party), my Black Wall is SUPER weak, etc. If anything, in hindsight, I would always go for Black Wall/physical reduction, it's just too useful and the default one is very weak. But that just goes back to the point that I'm sure I'm not doing things optimally either, my strategy would be even stronger if I wasn't so vulnerable to heavy physical mobs.

Shizuka

I'm not going to claim it's got super deep strategies, but I've barely ground at all in the game and I haven't had significant issues. Any time I think I'm at a dead end I go somewhere else/fight something else and it's not so bad. I mostly use the same strategies on any given boss, with a bit of variation depending on what they're doing to me, but my point is: If I'm not grinding a lot and I'm doing fine, you could probably do the same, which means perhaps there's more strategy than you're giving it credit for? "I'm losing, it must be because my level isn't high enough, not that I'm doing something wrong" is basically what it sounds like you're saying, but evidence says that it's probably a lot less black and white than that. This is something you see in MMOs a lot, people discount the possibility that they're playing poorly or incorrectly as an answer as to why others succeed where they did not. And please don't take it as an insult that I'm better than you or anything, that's really not the point and reading that from what I'm saying is the same kind of mistake those same MMO players would make. My point is that it's folly to assume you have no growth you can do as a player, and that by determining that you can't, you're limiting your ability to learn and improve. I'm 100% sure that there are LOTS of things I could do better in this game too, as there are bosses I'm struggling with currently, but I haven't yet resorted to grinding to accomplish those things.

Here's my 'general' strat for killing almost anything: Healing Divinity up at all times. it lasts for a long time so this is trivial and it reduces your overhead significantly. Any turn where I'm reapplying it, I try to go VERY defensive to make sure I don't die because I'm wasting my divinity that turn. Magic damage reduction divinity up any time there's a heavily magic oriented boss, there haven't been many of these so far, but it lasts a few turns for me and it's easy to keep 100% uptime on it. Physical damage reduction divinity every turn otherwise, you can never be too safe and MOST of the bosses have some bullshit physical attack they'll unload constantly. Iron Defense on my knight, this has very high odds of intercepting absolutely anything, and he's best equipped to deal with it (Though it can get him killed from time to time, that's usually a sign that I should go to another area though since the damage must be crazy fro it to happen), Illusion from my Ninja when anyone is in danger of dying from a hit, or if I'm reapplying the healing divinity/need to be defensive for some reason. DPS from warrior unless she's dying, then I'll defend. Cleric will Holy Shield if nothing else needs to happen, otherwise I'm triaging with multicure, high cure, or High Cast'ing Multi-avoid. Wizard often spends a lot fo the fight high-casting Multi-avoid or multi-hit. I've found wizard spells to generally be kind of weak and my physical fighters are more than sufficient at most dps, so I prefer to use him as a support. If I need to he can sign Sword Song to refill morale, but you can go a LOOOONG time even using a divinity every single turn before that's necessary. Ranger in the last slot just does pure dps. He's my most consistent damage dealer besides my ninja because he needs no support, basically never misses, and hits very hard.

Honestly, the biggest thing for me strategy wise has always been divinity management. They do a ton for you and you need to change what people are doing based on the situation at hand pretty often, both divinity abilities and the defensive abilities from your cleric/knight/front-line. Anyone that is low, have them defend, it gives a HUGE defense boost, they take something ridiculous like 10% damage while defending. The hardest part is making sure you don't fall behind on triaging your team. Once things start to crumble it's over. If you've got a consistent strat that is working, don't change it up, I've made this mistake too many times (Oh the boss is low and everyone is full, I'll assassinate instead of illusioning, WHOOPS there went my fucking wizard).

Edit: Obviously the divinities we have access to are probably different, but they give you the baseline of all three major ones early in the game, so while my healing divinity is strong (20% a turn for the party), my Black Wall is SUPER weak, etc. If anything, in hindsight, I would always go for Black Wall/physical reduction, it's just too useful and the default one is very weak. But that just goes back to the point that I'm sure I'm not doing things optimally either, my strategy would be even stronger if I wasn't so vulnerable to heavy physical mobs.

Thanks for the tips, they're very welcome. By the way, another thing I dislike... I think my Knight died twice in the game, and now everytime he dies, he vanishes. It's gotten ridiculous to the point where I'm having to replace him for one of those pre-made characters the game creates for you.

TheYanger

Thanks for the tips, they're very welcome. By the way, another thing I dislike... I think my Knight died twice in the game, and now everytime he dies, he vanishes. It's gotten ridiculous to the point where I'm having to replace him for one of those pre-made characters the game creates for you.

Every time someone dies they lose a life point, you can recover life points at the base by using recover, it'll take quite a while. Early on that was one form of 'grinding' I did do - you pass time by battling, so I had a loop in MoM I'd run that killed about a day and a half of game time every time I did it and it took about 7-10 minutes. So if someone died I'd revive, run the loop once, recover, run the loop 5-6 times, and then throw them back in my party. Now I've gotten lazy and use the LP restoration items more often. Butterfly Hearts and..something else. There are a few of them. Same for revive items. Just beware that reviving even during a fight still costs an LP. I was actually about to beat the boss I was on last night and my cleric died, I revived her, and went "FUCK YEAH" then she died again and vanished and I facepalmed super hard and reset the game.

TLDR: The hearts on the top left of everyone's status screen are how many times they can die without being permadead, and you can regenerate them by hospitalizing that person at the base or using items that do it. I generally keep everyone at 2 so that a death won't make me reset.

The way they intend you to deal with it is hospitalize someone and have your backup ready, basically have at least a few extra folks that are good enough to come with you, and just play normally until the other one recovers. The way I play it? Go to MoM and fight garbage that has 0 chance of doing anything to me while I watch Netflix for an hour. This had largely stopped happening by the time I was done with MoF though.

I actually streamed recovering a few guys the other day, so you can see the loop I run here:
https://www.twitch.tv/theyanger/v/57666259

Shizuka

Every time someone dies they lose a life point, you can recover life points at the base by using recover, it'll take quite a while. Early on that was one form of 'grinding' I did do - you pass time by battling, so I had a loop in MoM I'd run that killed about a day and a half of game time every time I did it and it took about 7-10 minutes. So if someone died I'd revive, run the loop once, recover, run the loop 5-6 times, and then throw them back in my party. Now I've gotten lazy and use the LP restoration items more often. Butterfly Hearts and..something else. There are a few of them. Same for revive items. Just beware that reviving even during a fight still costs an LP. I was actually about to beat the boss I was on last night and my cleric died, I revived her, and went "FUCK YEAH" then she died again and vanished and I facepalmed super hard and reset the game.

TLDR: The hearts on the top left of everyone's status screen are how many times they can die without being permadead, and you can regenerate them by hospitalizing that person at the base or using items that do it. I generally keep everyone at 2 so that a death won't make me reset.

The way they intend you to deal with it is hospitalize someone and have your backup ready, basically have at least a few extra folks that are good enough to come with you, and just play normally until the other one recovers. The way I play it? Go to MoM and fight garbage that has 0 chance of doing anything to me while I watch Netflix for an hour. This had largely stopped happening by the time I was done with MoF though.

I actually streamed recovering a few guys the other day, so you can see the loop I run here:
https://www.twitch.tv/theyanger/v/57666259

I never knew you could do that... Fuck. Now I'll have to leave my Wizard and Fighter recovering LP while I do something else. I'll watch your video and try to find something meaningful to do while they recover their LPs.

TheYanger

I never knew you could do that... Fuck. Now I'll have to leave my Wizard and Fighter recovering LP while I do something else. I'll watch your video and try to find something meaningful to do while they recover their LPs.

Np, I think the 'MoM' loop I run might be too boring for some folks, it's definitely firmly in the boring camp of things to do, you certainly could just run something easiER but not meaningless like MoF or MoSea instead, those are easy enough not to worry about bringing in backups, but I personally don't mind just running something super super easy and not really paying attention for a while, I just don't want to make it seem like I think the best way to proceed is doing something that has the potential to bore someone to tears.

Shizuka

Np, I think the 'MoM' loop I run might be too boring for some folks, it's definitely firmly in the boring camp of things to do, you certainly could just run something easiER but not meaningless like MoF or MoSea instead, those are easy enough not to worry about bringing in backups, but I personally don't mind just running something super super easy and not really paying attention for a while, I just don't want to make it seem like I think the best way to proceed is doing something that has the potential to bore someone to tears.

I'm going with MoM for now, since I brought the backup characters and they're mostly underleveled. It doesn't help that I don't know what stat to raise with a Dancer or Ninja. I'm not even sure what I should be raising for secondary stats for my main crew, now that I have their main stats maxed out.

TheYanger

I'm going with MoM for now, since I brought the backup characters and they're mostly underleveled. It doesn't help that I don't know what stat to raise with a Dancer or Ninja. I'm not even sure what I should be raising for secondary stats for my main crew, now that I have their main stats maxed out.

I'm not entirely sure either. I think it mostly comes down to requirements to equip gear. Like, my wizard/cleric could go for thje alternate caster stat, but mostly it just gives them more mana (which I already have more than enough of), so I'm considering either vitality or luck.

Same issue with my Knight, once Vitality is done I'm thinking Agi just for more dodge. but Luck seems reasonable, or Str for equipment requirements.

My physical fighters are simpler: Strength and Agility. My fighter is low on Agi because I was putting some in vit early on when I was stupid, and she can't hit ANYTHING. My ninja and ranger are heavy in both stats and rarely miss and do stupid high damage, so I'm pretty convinced Str/Agi is correct for them.

Parakeetman

I'm not entirely sure either. I think it mostly comes down to requirements to equip gear. Like, my wizard/cleric could go for thje alternate caster stat, but mostly it just gives them more mana (which I already have more than enough of), so I'm considering either vitality or luck.

Same issue with my Knight, once Vitality is done I'm thinking Agi just for more dodge. but Luck seems reasonable, or Str for equipment requirements.

My physical fighters are simpler: Strength and Agility. My fighter is low on Agi because I was putting some in vit early on when I was stupid, and she can't hit ANYTHING. My ninja and ranger are heavy in both stats and rarely miss and do stupid high damage, so I'm pretty convinced Str/Agi is correct for them.

You want Luck on the knight since that adds to the calculation of protection against bad status and one hit kills.

Or any character for that matter if you have points to spare.

CrovaxPSO

It's always been my policy to give all my characters some amount of AGI and LUC early on in addition to some VIT (and not just in this game). It makes things a little rougher early on since those points could be used on damage stats to make fights faster but I feel like it pays off big time by the middle of the game and especially near the end. The AGI as you said is great for hit chance, but also dodging if they happen to get swung at.

Parakeetman

yeah you can make up for liw agi with buffs to self and debuffs on the enemy but you cant make up for low luck which is why raising it is a good idea.

Dorarnae

I often only put agility on samurai and ranger but with a 1lp migmy, you really like being able to double/triple cast avoid or heal before getting raped lol.

JPS Kai

If you get tired of the MoF loop for killing butterflies, the northeast most square in Mausoleum of the Sea Depth 1000 is another ambush spot for the butterflies.

I realized that they'll always scale with your level. Whether that's based upon the average level or your highest in the party is to be determined though.

Given my play style, I'd much rather do more No Spell dungeons since I use Divinities and Assassination way too much.

Cleve

Finally started digging in to this, really glad that yoko tsukamoto's art is available, I kind of panicked when it defaulted to the oxijiyen stuff. I wasn't keeping up on this pre-release so that's on me. I guess it's nice to have choices though.

I hope to get a few hours in to it this weekend. How long are people reporting the full campaign to be?

-edit- missed it in the OT, seems like a good length. I'll read through the thread so hopefully I don't mess up my characters for the endgame for once.

Parakeetman

Finally started digging in to this, really glad that yoko tsukamoto's art is available, I kind of panicked when it defaulted to the oxijiyen stuff. I wasn't keeping up on this pre-release so that's on me. I guess it's nice to have choices though.

I hope to get a few hours in to it this weekend. How long are people reporting the full campaign to be?

-edit- missed it in the OT, seems like a good length. I'll read through the thread so hopefully I don't mess up my characters for the endgame for once.

Only real way to mess up your character is more if you just totally do the stats points wrong, but thats hard to do as long as you know what all the stats are so should not be an issue.

TheYanger

Even then, the only permanent way to fuck up is on your main character, since you can always powerlevel new ones pretty quickly. Yeah, the last 10 levels or so are still slow, but 1-20 go REALLY fast with the xp values you're getting by the point I'm at, and I've still got a good 10 hours in the game I'd guess.

Edit: Oh, while I'm here, what's with the hidden rooms in MoFrost with the stranger power messages? Is this soemthing I'll be doing later, or should I just be hiding in all of them? Hadn't noticed shit yet is all. (This isn't really spoilery for anyone before you get mad, they're hidden but they're EVERYWHERE, you would not go through here without finding them).

Shizuka

Do I get more stat points to spend if I reclass? Does the limit for each individual stat still apply even if I reclass?

TheYanger

Do I get more stat points to spend if I reclass? Does the limit for each individual stat still apply even if I reclass?

Your stats are permanent and you own't get any more until you reach the level you were at. So basically 1-30 you get 1 stat point each time, but only the first time. You do however gain MP/HP each time, I'm not sure exactly how that works out, since your HP/MP do go down when you multi-class, but overall once you're back at level they're definitely higher (My Knight was originally like 700 hp at level 20 and now he's like 950 afte cross classing a few things to 13).

Parakeetman

Your stats are permanent and you own't get any more until you reach the level you were at. So basically 1-30 you get 1 stat point each time, but only the first time. You do however gain MP/HP each time, I'm not sure exactly how that works out, since your HP/MP do go down when you multi-class, but overall once you're back at level they're definitely higher (My Knight was originally like 700 hp at level 20 and now he's like 950 afte cross classing a few things to 13).

Had this written in the OT as well.

Players can level themselves up at any time as long as EXP requirements are met. There is no automatic leveling or having to sleep in an inn to raise your level. You will only gain bonus stats point for when you level up your highest level class in the event if you had class changed.

In regards to max stats points its racial base stats + 20. Anything above that is done through equipment.

--------

Also in regards to stats allocation once again

Ol4xpU3.png

Max = Racial base starting value + 20

STR - Attack damage
INT - Mage spell damage / effectiveness + max MP
PIE - Cleric spell effectiveness + max MP
VIT - Defense and HP gain
AGI - Effects turn in combat, accuracy and dodge
LUC - Effects various things, one important one is helps with protecting against bad status / chance of getting 1 hit killed.

------------

In regards to age general breakdown
10~19 Years:Max LP 3、Lowest Bonus Pts 3
20~39 Years:Max LP 2、Lowest Bonus Pts 5
40~59 Years:Max LP 2、Lowest Bonus Pts 7
60~99 Years:Max LP 1、Lowest Bonus Pts 10

Forget what the max potential roll is though if you set the age to the highest & use that fortunate trait which gives +3? I think it was to the bonus points. Id say dont bother with trying to aim for it though unless you like rolling for hours.

Saphirax

Had this written in the OT as well.

In regards to max stats points its racial base stats + 20. Anything above that is done through equipment.

--------

Forget what the max potential roll is though if you set the age to the highest & use that fortunate trait which gives +3? I think it was to the bonus points. Id say dont bother with trying to aim for it though unless you like rolling for hours.

I think it's 30? But, I've never seen anyone even come close to 20, so it's really, really, really rare :p.

Parakeetman

I've only seen people get 11. If it took ages, I'd be more worried over getting to 20+ and accidentally pressing X again.

ive done that countless times in elminage and busin lol so so so very sad as stats dictated class selection (#`皿´)

Parakeetman

Do the Butterfly accessories do anything?

I found a Butterfly Earring that says Engraving: Hide in the Palace

I usually write stuff off like that as useless flavor text unless there is an actual visible stats with it. Or noticeable effect when equipped.

cuilan

My physical copy finally arrived on Monday. I was happy to see that my saves from the trial of the US version carried over to the JP retail one.

Even though I'm a fan of standard anime artstyles in general (see avatar), I don't think it really fits this game. Experience Inc. should have allocated that time and money towards more new content instead imho. On a related note, it's unfortunate that the retail version doesn't have a reversible cover.

Parakeetman

My physical copy finally arrived on Monday. I was happy to see that my saves from the trial of the US version carried over to the JP retail one.

Even though I'm a fan of standard anime artstyles in general (see avatar), I don't think it really fits this game. Experience Inc. should have allocated that time and money towards more new content instead imho. On a related note, it's unfortunate that the retail version doesn't have a reversible cover.

Thats pretty interesting that the data actually carries over then. Which means there is no version difference between the US and JP versions if so. Besides the language setting that is.

I just got to the part where Riu tells you that you are special and cannot die. Does life points even matter for your character. Could I have just made a 99 year old person with 1 LP and gotten all the bonus stat points?

Quick question, what language are the achievements in for the physical copy? Is it your selected region, or are they in Japanese?

Top Bottom