• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY |OT| - "We're going to need another Timmy"

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I just got to the part where Riu tells you that you are special and cannot die. Does life points even matter for your character. Could I have just made a 99 year old person with 1 LP and gotten all the bonus stat points?

Yeah its a kinda weird design mechanic with that...

I have question regarding the teleport stones, should not they get registered after touching them?

Because I touched the teleport stone at the Spider's Nest after the Ghost Town and returned to the guild but then when I tried to go back to same place immediately I couldn't find it registered in the menu like other stones?

Shizuka

I have question regarding the teleport stones, should not they get registered after touching them?

Because I touched the teleport stone at the Spider's Nest after the Ghost Town and returned to the guild but then when I tried to go back to same place immediately I couldn't find it registered in the menu like other stones?

Try to find it in another "region" from the map, like the one below where you're trying.

I need some help with the Wheedling General at the Shadow Palace, I defeat him many times and shown as Slain but never gave me the Blood Crystal?

Parakeetman

I need some help with the Wheedling General at the Shadow Palace, I defeat him many times and shown as Slain but never gave me the Blood Crystal?

You only get that from the initial event. After that you do not get any crystals from him.

while this is a JP screenshot, ignore that. Him right?

201409131938005das.jpg

Varg

Banned
Good game and a nice change of pace. Played the trial on Xbox and liked it enough to purchase . Need more games like this. Only genre missing for me on xbox. ( pc fills the void).

Parakeetman

Probably I already got it, I really don't know but I still can fight him whenever I re-enter the Shadow Palace again. Thank you anyway.

Thats part of the game. As later on you will have to clear out reappearing lineage species who disable magic stones. And the magic stones wont function again till you travel back to it on foot and kill whatever respawned lineage species is on it.

Good game and a nice change of pace. Played the trial on Xbox and liked it enough to purchase . Need more games like this. Only genre missing for me on xbox. ( pc fills the void).

I just hope it sells well enough for them to continue making more titles on the xbox one. since seriously do need more games for my collection on mine. it is nice though that we have a title in the genre on the xbox one now. wonder if the grimrock devs will considering doing anything with the xbox one.

it was good that they made a trial as otherwise id imagine lots of folks would be looking at the screenshots going wtf is this game lol

Shizuka

Up to your strategy preference. I always prefer healing so probably would go with Light Veil. Sword Bond 2 is also good though.

Damn, I went with Dark Veil. I'm stuck at
Kyo with the huge dragon
, I just can't beat them. I can't even scratch them before my team goes under, even with grinding hours for equipments at the Mausoleum of Storms. They're all level 29-30, there must be something I'm missing.

Also, how good is that Cleric's "kill everyone" skill? I might just spam that one instead if it's any good.

Edit: Beat it and now I'm in the last dungeon. Since
I can't return without beating all bosses at once,
can I spend all my items here or should I save them for post-game dungeon?

Parakeetman

Seems like review embargos were lifted for the vita ver good scores so far for the most part

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-vita/stranger-of-sword-city

low scores expected too as some things can be rough for non fans of the genre

overall seems to be a fair spread.

heres the Seda review

http://www.rpgsite.net/review/4791-stranger-of-sword-city-playstation-vita-review

and their impression yt vid on it. havent gotten to listen to it all yet as am on the move

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=9P0-hRMrs9E

so link might be fubar

Setzer

Got an email from the NISA Store a while ago. They just processed my order for the Vita LE.

Same. My only problem is this is the first Vita game I've purchased in the last couple years and my Vita is on fw 3.18. I'm guessing I won't be able to play this game unless I upgrade or buy another Vita lol.

Shizuka

My final party is Knight, Fighter, Samurai, Ranger, Cleric and Wizard. My Samurai and Ranger aren't doing much during the final few bosses in the game, should I turn both of them into Knights for Genocide?

Ephidel

If anyone is still looking for the XB1 physical version, it looks like it might be available for global shipping from Amazon.jp as well now. The last few times I checked it still had the "can't deliver this item to your area" message but now that's changed to "AmazonGlobal International Shipping is available to your selected address."

Parakeetman

If anyone is still looking for the XB1 physical version, it looks like it might be available for global shipping from Amazon.jp as well now. The last few times I checked it still had the "can't deliver this item to your area" message but now that's changed to "AmazonGlobal International Shipping is available to your selected address."

lol talk about random. wonder if they are just going down a list due to settings needing to be manually adjusted?

regardless good news for collectors

Shizuka

What's the best place to grind for equipments and experience before the last
three in a row and several bosses
dungeon?

Just started the vita version today. Class selection is always the most headache-inducing part of these games, damn. So what classes are you all using? Any overpowered or underpowered class?

Shizuka

Just started the vita version today. Class selection is always the most headache-inducing part of these games, damn. So what classes are you all using? Any overpowered or underpowered class?

Clerics, Samurais and Knights are a must. Fighters are nice to have. I went with a Ranger and Wizard for the last two spots.

Parakeetman

Basic PT would be

Fighter, Knight, Samurai
Cleric, Wizard, Ranger

Dancers and Ninjas are a bit odd so will take you a bit to get used to them.

In game there really is no useless class unless the stats vs what the class needs dont match up.

Though you will need a bow for the ranger to deal decent damage. Ninjas and Dancers their useful weapons show up later. You can frontline a ninja but would suggest trying that after you get used to the game

Basic PT would be

Fighter, Knight, Samurai
Cleric, Wizard, Ranger

Dancers and Ninjas are a bit odd so will take you a bit to get used to them.

In game there really is no useless class unless the stats vs what the class needs dont match up.

Though you will need a bow for the ranger to deal decent damage. Ninjas and Dancers their useful weapons show up later. You can frontline a ninja but would suggest trying that after you get used to the game

Clerics, Samurais and Knights are a must. Fighters are nice to have. I went with a Ranger and Wizard for the last two spots.

Thanks! Headache reduced ;)

Parakeetman

I didn't see it anywhere in this thread, but is there a limit to how many sub characters you can make?

Yeah there is a limit. Forgot what it was exactly. But its fairly easy to tell since once all the card slots are filled that is it.

Up to 16 including the MC

Reason why you generally want to make some folks from the start is due to them being able to bring in small amounts of cash and they also gain a lower amount of exp on their own while you are out adventuring.

Parakeetman

Thanks! Headache reduced ;)

Heres the info on stats / general allocations.

Also btw those that need help use this Wiki + Google Translate.

http://www.spoiler.jp/srv/tsurugi/

Also in regards to stats allocation once again

Ol4xpU3.png

Max = Racial base starting value + 20

STR - Attack damage
INT - Mage spell damage / effectiveness + max MP
PIE - Cleric spell effectiveness + max MP
VIT - Defense and HP gain
AGI - Effects turn in combat, accuracy and dodge
LUC - Effects various things, one important one is helps with protecting against bad status / chance of getting 1 hit killed.

------------

In regards to age general breakdown
10~19 Years:Max LP 3、Lowest Bonus Pts 3
20~39 Years:Max LP 2、Lowest Bonus Pts 5
40~59 Years:Max LP 2、Lowest Bonus Pts 7
60~99 Years:Max LP 1、Lowest Bonus Pts 10

certain stats is more dependant on what you are going for in a class

fighter is str, vit, agi
knight vit, luk, agi if you want dont need str as much since you wont be attacking too often wirh it.
samurai str agi vit
wizard int, agi, luk, pie if you plan to give it cleric skills
cleric pie, agi, vit

are some examples.

The stats also play into the whole trap disarming and whatnots, but for the most part you dont need to worry too much about that. Since you dont really want to go and make a character around opening chests anyways.

Also while this may confuse you since you are still getting used to the game some info on the class change system with an answer given to another user who was uncertain about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199296396&postcount=180

Saphirax

Yeah there is a limit. Forgot what it was exactly. But its fairly easy to tell since once all the card slots are filled that is it.

Up to 16 including the MC

Reason why you generally want to make some folks from the start is due to them being able to bring in small amounts of cash and they also gain a lower amount of exp on their own while you are out adventuring.

Cheers! That should be enough for class change experimenting.

Going above and beyond man, thanks Parakeetman!

Any general recommendation on what stats to focus on for rangers, dancers and ninjas? I'm not sure ranged weapons use STR or AGI to determine the damage, I'm just winging it for my ranger. She's still doing crapload more damage than everyone else due to a lucky find of a Longbow+4 early in the game, heh.

Dancers look like ranged characters with motivation boosts, so sort of building mine like my ranger. Not sure what's the factor on the motivation boost succeeding though, I'm assuming LCK.

Ninja looks like STR, AGI, LCK (maybe VIT) if my experience with past... er... Experience games are anything to go by.

Also, on giving blood crystals to the three different factions in the game, does it make any difference who I give them to, or just go with what skills look good?

Parakeetman

Going above and beyond man, thanks Parakeetman!

Any general recommendation on what stats to focus on for rangers, dancers and ninjas? I'm not sure ranged weapons use STR or AGI to determine the damage, I'm just winging it for my ranger. She's still doing crapload more damage than everyone else due to a lucky find of a Longbow+4 early in the game, heh.

Dancers look like ranged characters with motivation boosts, so sort of building mine like my ranger. Not sure what's the factor on the motivation boost succeeding though, I'm assuming LCK.

Ninja looks like STR, AGI, LCK (maybe VIT) if my experience with past... er... Experience games are anything to go by.

Also, on giving blood crystals to the three different factions in the game, does it make any difference who I give them to, or just go with what skills look good?

Rangers need STR and AGI.

STR for damage AGI for accuracy.

LUC is useful for things like crit and bad status resistance, including 1HKs.

Dancers are a bit weird. If you are going to keep a pure dancer w/ no class changing you basically would need AGI, PIE, LUC. I cant remember if INT still effects the usefulness of items. As it making them more effective. As in past games it did have an effect on that.

The PIE and LUC help with the success rate of the morale boost.

If you want a dancer that can also deal damage out you will have to raise STR.

Ninjas are a combination of STR, AGI, LUC. You can go VIT also but you should focus on the main ones first as otherwise if the ninja gets hit due to the lighter armor it wears that small bits of extra hp from the raised VIT wont matter. Though also would depend on what type of positioning you plan on using them in. As a frontliner or a rear row ranged attack support. If you plan on using it in the front go AGI / LUC then balance in STR and VIT. As you will want the AGI for dodging which the class skills supplement and LUC for helping with the critical hits from one of the other skills it has. Then of course the STR for damage and VIT for upping the HP for unavoidable accidents and helping raise the def a little.

For all of these classes from there you will have to figure out what pieces of equipment will you be using to try and further push their stats higher along with the extra skills such as damaging spirits, immortals etc.

------

Blood Crystals for the most part are about what skills you want. Though there are different endings based off of your choice with who you side with. Err what I mean is whoever you give the most crystals to will basically set your path for the ending. Also game does not have any sort of true ending so you dont have to worry about that.

For the divinity skills generally if its your first time playing go for the more defensive stuff. Such as magic + bad status protection, hit / evade up + first attack, enemy accuracy / evade down. Those will save you a lot more than damage boosting ones in general. Though that Sword Bond? forgot the english name the skill that will help protect against charm and will up attack and the lv 2 one ups damage is fairly useful also later in game.

Picking the same skill in the tree will improve the effects of said skill generally. Since you can see everything ahead of time you are always free to check to plan out what you might want next

-------

Back to ranger talk, yeah for pretty much straight forward damage the ranger is pretty good as a glass cannon of the party. Plus that pin down skill the one that lowers enemy accuracy / evade at the cost of dealt damage is damned useful to constantly keep an irritating enemy at bay. Do believe that effect compounds with other similar debuffs also. As this game is all about buffs / debuff management to survive for the most part. I was using something called a deadmans bow with some insanely high + stat on it for some time with mine. As once you find a good bow can keep the ranger pretty well off for a while. Problem is finding a good bow though lol

people

I forgot I had pre-ordered this a good while ago, apparently it will be delivered tomorrow.

I don't think I'm prepared!

gar3

After almost five painful weeks of waiting my Japanese Xbox One copy finally arrived this afternoon. Sheesh :p

Saphirax

Don't think I'll be able to wait until next week for my copy to arrive. May just cancel my preorder and get it digitally.

gar3

Is all the text in the Japanese Xbox One physical version in English?
You can choose between English and Japanese. In fact it defaults to English, heh.
According to others you can now also buy and have the game shipped from Amazon of Japan. Before, AoJ wouldn't ship it internationally but whatever problem there was has seemingly been cleared-up now.

You can choose between English and Japanese. In fact it defaults to English, heh.
According to others you can now also buy and have the game shipped from Amazon of Japan. Before, AoJ wouldn't ship it internationally but whatever problem there was has seemingly been cleared-up now.

Awesome - thanks!

Man, that GS review was brutal. I wanted to get this, but after reading more details about the game, I might have to wait for a price job.

I would honestly take their review with a grain of salt if you like the genre. They clearly do not play many drpgs and seem to think that this one is somehow trying to be something that it's not. Permadeath is the only real complaint they have to stand on, the rest is just them not understanding that this is a drpg, likely because said reviewer has barely looked into the genre.

Top Bottom