• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things [SPOILER THREAD] We're All Fleas Now

SomTervo

I stayed up untill 5 am binge watching this. The show is so good

Same. Me and my gf watched all 8 episodes this weekend. We haven't done that since Les Revenants.

Incredible work. Handled everything perfectly. My only misgiving was the CGI. For a show where they fucking reference The Thing's legendary animatronics, it's complete bollocks that they use Doctor Who-tier CGI for the monster.

What are the implications that 11 is alive?

As others said the suggestion is that Hopper is leaving food for her in that lock box at the end. That she perhaps can collect it from the Upside Down (or wherever she is).

They've already come out and said that the story will continue with the same characters next season.

Ah, shit.

Hopefully it does a good timeskip. You could totally imagine the Byres boys and the brother/sister becoming monster hunters. Etc.

Stranger Things Season 1 VFX Reel: https://vimeo.com/175461355

How some of the special effects used on the show were made.
Surprised the Demagorgon is 80% pratical effect, real person doing it. Looked really good.

demagorgon.png

Wow. So they managed to make physical effects look like CGI.

That's something.

I've never understood this stupid argument people make about sequels.

"Man... that sequel sucks, kind of ruins the first movie/season/book ect... now"

For me it's not really about that.

You make a show with an ambiguos, suggestively supernatural title (Stranger Things), you tie your plot and characters up perfectly (a good measure of ambiguity with most threads wrapped) and you hint at all sorts of weird things we don't know about the universe.

It's almost set itself up for Season 2 being about a completely different time/place/situation. It's also great that it could be like Twilight Zone/Outer Limits/X-Files but one story per season. There's so much potential in that. To go deeper, to go harder with your ideas.

Hopefully Season 2 doesn't just follow straight from the end of Season 1 at least.

mm04

Well, the Duffer brothers have said repeatedly that they're not viewing it as a second season but a sequel, if they get another season from Netflix (yeah right). If you read any of their interviews, they envisioned Stranger Things as an 8 hour movie, which it totally felt like to me. They've also mentioned the Harry Potter model in terms of the kids all growing up over time and running into adventures etc. I think it can totally work. Remember, they've just introduced the fact that children were experimented on and at least one of them, developed super powers. Not to mention the ability to reach other dimensions. There are many ways they can go with this and keep it fresh. Pretty much nothing is off the table.

When I first finished the season, I initially thought it should be anthology as well. But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to see more of these characters. The danger with anthology is that you run the risk of becoming True Detective and almost killing the franchise (rumors out there that they may bring back Rust Cohle) or you can become Fargo, and do well. Either could happen or you could land somewhere in between like AHS which is a new story, but re-uses actors with varying results.

The dilemma with Stranger Things is you have a show where undoubtedly the stars are the kids and their chemistry. David Harbour was good and I was happy with Winona as well and Matthew Modine, but if you go anthology and it doesn't work out, the chances of getting all those young actors together again to try and revive the magic for a season 3, if it gets that far, is going to be slim. Whereas if you continue with this cast, and have a middling season 2, introducing a new story/cast in season 3 wouldn't be too far fetched with the 8 hour movie model. Either way, the Duffer brothers have been pretty clear about their vision, regardless of our speculation.

Auctopus

Just finished. Absolutely incredible, loved the vibe of all of it. Pacing was near perfect.

What should I do now? Any decent post-analysis etc. ?

Just the thought of Mike and guys getting a chance to go full "Frog Brothers" from Lost Boys makes the idea of a anthology-style second season completely unattractive.

Also, I want to see Eleven finally find a real family and find some peace.

Just finished this, best Netflix show for me, loved every minute of it. Put my mum onto it as well and she finished it before me lol.

I laughed just when i saw Nancy ended up with Steve as i imagine there's been loads of whinging about it. Personally I like how they flipped that a bit, and Steve wasn't a bad lad really.

Zombine

Banned
One of the best parts of the show for me was the organic relationship between Nancy, Steve, and Jonathan. I thought that Steve was a very complex and fun character, and I am in the camp that never thought he was a "bad guy" but instead we got to watch a coming of age story where a young teenager owns up to his faults and in the end fights for what he cares about. He had his missteps, but he owned up to them and made up for it. The three of them were an awesome team at the end and I really do appreciate the Bros for not taking the "Hollywood" route and having Nancy end up with Jonathan

For now.

Brakke

Banned
Did they ever explain the force field that keeps Nancy's mom from following her up those stairs?

Lol. I did chuckle about this at one point. But the real thing is the force of good motherhood, sometimes you just gotta let petulant teens storm away and have some space.

#teamsteve

Also how did they return to the regular world after saving Will? Did they walk back tot he portal at the lab?

Yeah they must've come back through the lab. Which I forgot, is a crazy thread the season left open. The Upside Down was leaking in through the portal, the gross tendrils got closer and closer to elevator throughout the season. Even if there aren't any monsters left in the Upside Down (there are), they definitely need to find a way to close the portal.

jett

D-Member
That was a really strong finale. I didn't think the show was that great overall, it was all concerned with mood and style and less so with its characters, but I'm in for a second season. Didn't really like the implication that El is living alone in the woods or something. WTF is that about?

I really liked it. I thought Nancy was not redeemable due to her behavior early on, but she grew on me. Glad to see Steve redeem himself and not end up dead as I predicted. I feel like El is in the upside down, but it's entirely possible that she was intended to only be a one time character just for this season.

The only thing I wasn't satisfied with was Steve or Jonathan and Nancy not going off on Tommy and his little girlfriend.

Who does El resemble? She looks so damn familiar to me, but I can't place it...and no it's not Natalie Portman as I've seen mentioned a few times.

I haven't read through the thread but I just wanted to confirm that everyone agrees that this is the greatest 3 seconds of this or any other show

https://youtu.be/zQhtDr0kQ_Q

I thought it was horrible, poorly written stereotype of the there but absent and completely uninterested father and husband.

Dany

Banned
Nah. I want to see more of the 11 and the rest of the kids.

Did not realize that I would care a single cent for Nancy, Will or any of the other dweebs but they're so frieken amazing. They truly make this show.

I forsee this going on until the children age out in their late teens.

Volimar

Nah. I want to see more of the 11 and the rest of the kids.

Did not realize that I would care a single cent for Nancy, Will or any of the other dweebs but they're so frieken amazing. They truly make this show.

I forsee this going on until the children age out in their late teens.

Nancy leveled up when she went through that tree into the upside down.

Maximo

That was a really strong finale. I didn't think the show was that great overall, it was all concerned with mood and style and less so with its characters, but I'm in for a second season. Didn't really like the implication that El is living alone in the woods or something. WTF is that about?

Believe hes leaving the food there incase The Upside Down bleeds into our world or whatever dimension shes in, he did (we guess) debrief the company (or maybe something else) about what happened, maybe they have an idea where she is.

I just don't see what the fuss is with this. Everyone just seemed so stereotypical 80s. My friend kept saying "oh it's like Super 8 but like, real, and not just an homage". But I don't really see the difference.

Dany

Banned
Nancy leveled up when she went through that tree into the upside down.

No seriously, as soon as she stopped talking to steve I appreciated her so much more. Such a effin badass. But still, respect her for sticking with steve. He owned up to his mistakes.

Maximo

I just don't see what the fuss is with this. Everyone just seemed so stereotypical 80s. My friend kept saying "oh it's like Super 8 but like, real, and not just an homage". But I don't really see the difference.

Nothing wrong with not liking it, to be able to make something so 80s and turn what would typically be a *good* hour and a half long movie to a 8 episode *great* Tv Show should be praised in itself. Plus the show is really really well done including the characters, music, the attention to detail, expanding story's on characters and plots which would typically be hand waved off in a short movie, yeah its *stereotypical 80s* but its done so bloody well and has its own twists and diverges from the path of what a 80s movie would have done.

If this was an 80's show/movie the douchy boyfried would have died at the end and the girl would have ended up with the loner/not at all creepy and totally misunderstood other dude.
So there's that.

jett

D-Member
Believe hes leaving the food there incase The Upside Down bleeds into our world or whatever dimension shes in, he did (we guess) debrief the company (or maybe something else) about what happened, maybe they have an idea where she is.

Yeah maybe the box shows up in the upside down world. Pretty weird.

Anyway, I wouldn't be against this becoming an anthology series and the next season wiping the slate clean to be honest.

If this was an 80's show/movie the douchy boyfried would have died at the end and the girl would have ended up with the loner/not at all creepy and totally misunderstood other dude.
So there's that.

Yeah that was like the only thing that didn't happen, even though I wish it did lol

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Show was OK, but man. Some of the acting in this, especially from two of the four kids, was really bad.

I thought the kids were brilliant in most cases and came off pretty natural. Some of the conversations they had about things like being best friends and who can be your best friend and such all ring really true to my childhood.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This thread went up while I was banned. Though I got to put my thoughts into the regular show OT before this thread was made, still sucked being unable to talk about a show I loved so much with new viewers.

Also a lot of people here had really out there theories that didn't make any sense lol.

What a show!!!! I binged watched the whole thing in two days, I couldn't stop. As a huge fan of 80s movies like this I cannot believe how authentic it all felt. All the actors did a great job, fantastic cast.

That said I kind of wish the show becomes a different crazy monster of situation every season and not the upside down every season.

Mariolee

Well this kind of relates to wanting sequels to movies that don't need it, no? It's perfect as it is, and with multiple seasons focusing on the same characters you run the risk of being disappointed/comparing it to the "original" (season one).

I completely disagree. It isn't perfect as is, and they addressed that in the final D&D game where everyone is asking Mike about the leftover plot threads. For example, El is Eleven. Does that mean there are others? Wtf is going on with Will? Whats the deal with Hopper and the feds? What else is in that other dimension?

There is always a chance things will turn to shit, even with the same cast. However, having the same cast continue gives it a much higher chance of being good.

Agreed. We have a near "Stand By Me" level cast, why role the dice on a recasting? Give us one or two more well thought out seasons and end it.

To me, there is plenty of room to channel other 80's movies as the kids grow older, and the potential junior high to high school age change seems like a good way to expand the current dynamic without completely changing it. We'll get the core cast and some new characters added as well, best of both worlds imo.

Exactly.

Mariolee

Yeah maybe the box shows up in the upside down world. Pretty weird.

Anyway, I wouldn't be against this becoming an anthology series and the next season wiping the slate clean to be honest.

Again, completely disagree. So many leftover plot threads, and you have god tier casting.

Just finished it last night. Loved it. One thing that goes underrated is length of the intro, every other Netflix show intro goes on for too damn long IMO. This one was just right it terms of length.

Theory for next season is that the monster was once human. The slugs and the lair were places to infect people and feed that fungus like thing. Maybe the Russians were there first and caused it or something like that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I guess El could have a cameo in Strangerer Things: Strange Harder.

Stranger Things 2: Electric Boogaloo. El will be break dancing in parachute pants on the ceiling of a young adult center that is hard up.

Haha I really want to know how they got out of the upside down. I guess he portal inside the lab is continuously open?

Yes. As however long the show took place, that 'door' was always open and was monitored by those scientists.

If you look closely, you actually see more of the upside down spreading into that basement. When hopper and mom go down, the growth is all the way to the elevator door. we see this when it opens.

Season 2 will be great beacuse there are plenty of hints of what this can lead to. upside down, with a continuous open door, spreading... Remember when hopper seen the open egg? Going to be very interesting to see what else comes from the world.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

I took it she's living off the grid and he's helping her do so. Otherwise they will never stop coming to get her, endangering the lives of everyone she loves.

Top Bottom