• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things [SPOILER THREAD] We're All Fleas Now

PBalfredo

I haven't watched it in a long, long time, but I'm almost positive that 11's disguise was based on ET's.

The disguise scene is likely inspired by ET, but it doesn't look like the disguise itself is based on ET outside of the wig.

composite-stranger-things-dress-large_trans++8EuVKQIuseo94-dKmHKl1XjjZp2Y6K8nbt-Aru5IwLA.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is Papa still alive? I mean we see the thing jump on him, but we never really see the body right?

That's like horror movie 101.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I really don't understand the monster.

+Why does it feed immediately on some but stores others?
+Why does it go after humans when animals are an easier prey?
+If its motive was solely food, why did it seek out 11 near the end while ignoring all the dead bodies?
+Why was it never drawn to 11's blood?
+It can seemingly teleport between dimensions, yet when it brings someone, the person it brought seemingly arrives beforehand, allowing them time to escape.

Obviously the show didn't seek out to explain everything (at the end they even joke about all the unresolved questions), but I don't get why it seemingly went against its nature and why Will was given so many chances to survive.
Well we really know nothing of the monster by design. It seemingly has some intelligence but it seems mainly animal in intelligence. It has some kind of innate ability to create gateways between dimensions, but it doesn't seem to be a conscious ability like 11's. At the same time, it seems that it was somehow restricted to opening a gateway into the research facility until 11 escaped. Maybe we will get more explanation in a sequel, maybe not. I do wonder if there are multiple parallel dimensions and the upside down world looks like it does because of the monster, and maybe that is what could end up happening to 'our' world.

Season 2 Teaser?

https://twitter.com/Stranger_Things/status/761696510220259328?s=07

"Will is not the first missing child."
"Eleven is not the first experiment."
"Monsters are real."
"Hawkins Lab will stop at nothing to keep these secrets."

AW YISS.. Plural (monsterssssss)

When the doc was talking to mike's parents, he said they were missing 6 people, or something along those lines right?. We rescued 1 and seen barb dead. So that means we have 4 unknown wearabouts?

What if we seen more than one monster, but thought it was just the same one?! O_O .....

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
AW YISS.. Plural (monsterssssss)

When the doc was talking to mike's parents, he said they were missing 6 people, or something along those lines right?. We rescued 1 and seen barb dead. So that means we have 4 unknown wearabouts?

What if we seen more than one monster, but thought it was just the same one?! O_O .....

There were 6 people taken or at least that's what Dr. Brenner says. The six being:

1. Will
2. Barb
3. The soldier sent into the rift by Brenner
4. The scientist taking in the intro scene of episode 1
5 & 6. We never see but there is talk about how 2 hunters went into the woods but never came back

dankir

There were 6 people taken or at least that's what Dr. Brenner says. The six being:

1. Will
2. Barb
3. The soldier sent into the rift by Brenner
4. The scientist taking in the intro scene of episode 1
5 & 6. We never see but there is talk about how 2 hunters went into the woods but never came back

If you recall when the enter the school in the upside down to rescue will there is another body that's stuck in the goo, unless that was Barb?

HStallion

If you recall when the enter the school in the upside down to rescue will there is another body that's stuck in the goo, unless that was Barb?

There are also several skeletons so I'm guessing not everybody there belonged to people from Hawkins. As to what exactly that means is a pretty good question but we don't get the answer for that.

Also I'm not sure how but there is power in the Upside Down since we see street lights on.

Ledsen

I really don't understand the monster.

+Why does it feed immediately on some but stores others?
+Why does it go after humans when animals are an easier prey?
+If its motive was solely food, why did it seek out 11 near the end while ignoring all the dead bodies?
+Why was it never drawn to 11's blood?
+It can seemingly teleport between dimensions, yet when it brings someone, the person it brought seemingly arrives beforehand, allowing them time to escape.

Obviously the show didn't seek out to explain everything (at the end they even joke about all the unresolved questions), but I don't get why it seemingly went against its nature and why Will was given so many chances to survive.

- as far as I understood, the "stored" people got used as incubators for the worms. It makes sense that it would eat some and use some for breeding. Maybe animals can't be used for breeding for some reason.
- it knows eleven and wants her for some reason, like Papa said "it called to you".
- was eleven ever bleeding within the monster's territory?
- I was also wondering why it caught people and then seemingly let them go. I would assume Will was taken in for incubation but managed to escape, but then there's Barb in the pool.

I'm tired of everyone hating on Steve. In no way did his character go the way I expected him to go.

1) He respected Nancy when she asked him to slow down, didn't get mad, and actually helped her study. This is in the first episode - he's already playing against expectations.
2) He was nice/polite to Barb at his party, and tried to involve her.
3) After he and Nancy hooked up he wants to continue a relationship with her. He genuinely cares about her.
4) Although him smashing up Jonathan's camera is undoubtedly a dick move, there's no denying Jonathan had it coming, and honestly I think he got off easy, all things considering. Steve showed restraint.
5) Although he was wrapped up in spray-painting the Nancy graffiti, it's clear he was being dragged along by his shitty friends, and he wasn't the instigator. He was remorseful, even in the moment.
6) He shows up at the Byers' house, the house of the guy he thinks has stolen his girl, just in an effort to be a good person and set things right. And then...
7) He proceeds to COMPLETELY FUCK UP a supernatural monster, even though until that exact moment he had 0 indication there was even anything supernatural going on in town. His life went from 0-60 in about three seconds flat, and he didn't miss a beat.

There are a couple of issues, here. First off, him teasing/accusing Jonathan of probably killing his own brother is pretty inexcusable. And him not caring that Barb just completely up and disappeared is pretty bad, too.

But even with those two knocks against him, I think it's clear that Steve is much more than "typical '80s dick boyfriend." Don't tell me you didn't expect him and his goons to do something mean to Barb at that party. Steve's not a bad guy - he's just a typical high school boy with terrible parents.
It low key seems like people are hating on Steve just because the guy is a jock. I'm guessing everyone (most) hating on him weren't on the popular spectrum in high school and somehow channeling salt towards him. I even read a hilarious editorial piece by a chick hating on him, pretty hilarious stuff.

Also doesn't he say did you give it to him when addressing Nancy at the end of the season? I get the feeling he bought it for him since he broke it and has money instead of Nancy, just didn't want to hand it himself. Even the way she worded gift to Jonathan when she gave it to him sounded weird. This one of the best casts overall I've seen on TV for some time.

It low key seems like people are hating on Steve just because the guy is a jock. I'm guessing everyone (most) hating on him weren't on the popular spectrum in high school and somehow channeling salt towards him. I even read a hilarious editorial piece by a chick hating on him, pretty hilarious stuff.

Also doesn't he say did you give it to him when addressing Nancy at the end of the season? I get the feeling he bought it for him since he broke it and has money instead of Nancy, just didn't want to hand it himself. Even the way she worded gift to Jonathan when she gave it to him sounded weird. This one of the best casts overall I've seen on TV for some time.

I mean, they play it off so you're kind of meant to hate him for breaking the camera and acting kinda douchy.. but at the same time, Jonathan was taking the inappropriate photos etc. I felt the whole cast acted very convincingly and believably as mid-80's teenagers. Nothing was black-and-white, cut-and-dry stereotypical for the most part.

And yeah I felt like the camera was from Steve as well, and I assume Jonathan had to realize that too.

Loved it.

kukubrew

- as far as I understood, the "stored" people got used as incubators for the worms. It makes sense that it would eat some and use some for breeding. Maybe animals can't be used for breeding for some reason.
- it knows eleven and wants her for some reason, like Papa said "it called to you".
- was eleven ever bleeding within the monster's territory?
- I was also wondering why it caught people and then seemingly let them go. I would assume Will was taken in for incubation but managed to escape, but then there's Barb in the pool.

My thoughts on that: I wonder if it's able to transport it's pray, but cannot transport itself. It makes portals (in a wall or in a tree). So it "eats" you, drops you off in a middle of upside down, then goes to it's portal and chases you around in upside down.

HStallion

My thoughts on that: I wonder if it's able to transport it's pray, but cannot transport itself. It makes portals (in a wall or in a tree). So it "eats" you, drops you off in a middle of upside down, then goes to it's portal and chases you around in upside down.

The monster is a portal in of itself it seems. It basically eats you in the real world and you are transported to the Upside Down where it then catches you for real. Will was able to escape after he was transported over but Barb was screwed as she was inside an empty pool with the monster.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Jock? Was he ever shown to be playing High School Sports? We saw him asking her to watch their sports team playing, but I don't remember him ever saying he played sports.

The monster is a portal in of itself it seems. It basically eats you in the real world and you are transported to the Upside Down where it then catches you for real. Will was able to escape after he was transported over but Barb was screwed as she was inside an empty pool with the monster.

I'm doubting that part.

HStallion

I'm doubting that part.

It's never shown off that way but after Barb wakes up in the Upside Down she's covered in slime and other grossness which I suppose could just be something she collected before she woke up. It seemed to be attempting to "eat" Johnathan during the battle in the last episode.

I mean, they play it off so you're kind of meant to hate him for breaking the camera and acting kinda douchy.. but at the same time, Jonathan was taking the inappropriate photos etc. I felt the whole cast acted very convincingly and believably as mid-80's teenagers. Nothing was black-and-white, cut-and-dry stereotypical for the most part.

And yeah I felt like the camera was from Steve as well, and I assume Jonathan had to realize that too.

Loved it.
Definitely. I thought he would be an asshole until he started to casually let her study. Then after that he got me pissed off but turned it around. Don't like either of his two friends though -_-

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Watched the whole show yesterday (sue me). Was pretty good, though I'm not sure I'm down for a second season-- it seemed like it could've been just a one-and-done series, but I guess we'll see what to do with them.

One thing that bothered me and I didn't see discussed: what was the point of Nancy/Jonathan's whole trapping of the monster? It didn't seem to leave any permanent harm (and since later we see the Energy Depart. emptying clips into with barely any effect, it's not likely they did much damage).

I guess the point was to distract it for a while, allowing Hopp to get to Will. But still, I feel like it could've been cut (not that it should, but could) and the story would still make sense.

Also, I was really surprised Hopp actually sold out Eleven and the kids. After all the flashbacks I thought he's gonna be super-sympathetic towards her (though they weren't seen interacting) and that he just sent them on a goose-chase.

guek

Banned
Watched the whole show yesterday (sue me). Was pretty good, though I'm not sure I'm down for a second season-- it seemed like it could've been just a one-and-done series, but I guess we'll see what to do with them.

One thing that bothered me and I didn't see discussed: what was the point of Nancy/Jonathan's whole trapping of the monster? It didn't seem to leave any permanent harm (and since later we see the Energy Depart. emptying clips into with barely any effect, it's not likely they did much damage).

I guess the point was to distract it for a while, allowing Hopp to get to Will. But still, I feel like it could've been cut (not that it should, but could) and the story would still make sense.

Also, I was really surprised Hopp actually sold out Eleven and the kids. After all the flashbacks I thought he's gonna be super-sympathetic towards her (though they weren't seen interacting) and that he just sent them on a goose-chase.

It was injured for sure, Hopp notices the blood trail. It definitely didn't do much damage though. The fire and the beartrap probably hurt it the most. Doesn't matter if you're bullet proof, everything burns!

And yeah, I was a bit surprised that Hopp sold them out too but tbh, there wasn't much else he could do. That was the best possible option available.

A-V-B

One thing that bothered me and I didn't see discussed: what was the point of Nancy/Jonathan's whole trapping of the monster?

The climax of Steve's redemption and his induction ceremony into the weird world of Stranger Things.

Did anyone notice that monster seemingly sedates people it brings over?

When it knocks Jonathan over in finale, it starts dripping goop into his mouth. Would make sense, and explain why Barbara woke up later.

Sorry if this has already been brought up.

Exodust

Banned
The show is fantastic. Loved every minute of it except for one character I'll get to later.

My theory is the Will isn't so much still "pregnant" as he was affected by it in a way that might give him slight power. I had this horrible Idea where Eleven's mom might have been incubated too to mean El was part that monster, but now I think what really happened is some contact with the being gave her a bit of that power when she was still forming in her mom, which means Will now has a bit of it too. Very farfetched, and I'm just rambling here, but I think Will gets some sense from it.

I don't think El is dead, just in the Upside Down somewhere and Hop is helping Hawkins track her down. Maybe he's planning on somehow getting her out of there, but I don't know. A lot of talk seems to be about him selling the kids out, I remember him clearly saying to leave the kids alone and just take El. Maybe he was betting on El being dangerous enough to take them down, or maybe he saw her being in there town a problem that will bring more problems with it. Who knows? A continuation will probably make it clear.

That said, put me in the camp of wishing this was either an anthology or a one off, as I think it was contained enough to end there. The ending is strange is that I like it but don't think they really stuck the landing on it, but I wouldn't change it. Leaving it as is would be perfect for me, hopefully if they actually do continue it they don't fall into the trapping of revealing too much or adding mystery over mystery till it's convoluted. Going to be tough to pull that off, I'm half willing to give em that chance though.

Now, am I really the only one who hated the fuck out of Nancy? She's a piece of shit through and through. I wouldn't call it a Skyler situation where the main reason people hate her is because she gets in the way of the protagonist, when in Skyler's postion she's justified and right most of the time. Nancy came off as selfish and annoying most of the time, for someone based on my favorite scream queen she sucks.

Best characters? Hop and Dustin, easily. MVP's of the show.

Nudull

Banned
Thank god El didn't actually die. Would've been so easy to do so to give Mike grief, like so many other female characters.

Pretty good.

The Monster is dumb as hell, though. It couldn't find big sister in its own woods? Plus if the "upside down" is so toxic as Papa said, how did big sister and Will manage to survive in there without a suit?

zoukka

Pretty good.

The Monster is dumb as hell, though. It couldn't find big sister in its own woods? Plus if the "upside down" is so toxic as Papa said, how did big sister and Will manage to survive in there without a suit?

Yeah Will surviving for so long didn't make much sense.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Or a week with no food and water, running away from a monster, and being saved mid incubation will have you feeling like shit.

Or one of the show's plot points could, you know, not be pointless and serve a purpose like it's presented in the show.

HStallion

I mean its a bit of suspension of disbelief. For all we know Will could have been trying to eat random crap in the Upside Down. Also remember that it seems like items in the real world will eventually translate over to the Upside Down. Remember Hopper putting the chicken wings in the little wooden box in the woods? Who says will couldn't have gone back to his house and grabbed some cans of soup or veggies or whatever once they phased over to the Upside Down?

Also the environment is toxic, is doesn't mean there is no air in the Upside Down. It just means there is something dangerous in the atmosphere and for all we know it could be that snow or whatever it is constantly drifting around, spores or some such. Him being able to survive isn't that big a stretch.

Curiocity

Or one of the show's plot points could, you know, not be pointless and serve a purpose like it's presented in the show.
I've been assuming it was a combination of no real food/water, cold, and a kind of emotional/psychological sickness on top of whatever physical poison is in the air. Seemed like some dank spores in there but not necessarily enough to make you keel over right away. The suits would be a logical precaution when sending people into a slimy mysterious hellscape and having them contributed to the atmosphere. If we do or don't end up needing them, I think it's fine either way.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Started and finished it yesterday, it was really fantastic until they revealed the mystery, the parallel universe. After that moment it felt very predictable and the shine kinda wore off, and it felt like it borrowed way too much from Fringe.
It was a great show overall, but there was a pretty massive discrepancy in how intriguing and captivating it was before and after the revelation of the parallel universe.

zoukka

I've been assuming it was a combination of no real food/water, cold, and a kind of emotional/psychological sickness on top of whatever physical poison is in the air. Seemed like some dank spores in there but not necessarily enough to make you keel over right away. The suits would be a logical precaution when sending people into a slimy mysterious hellscape and having them contributed to the atmosphere. If we do or don't end up needing them, I think it's fine either way.

The plot demanded that Will survive even though it makes no sense at all. I mean in the beginning of the show I thought Will had some kind of powers as well because he wasn't killed in the otherworld and we even had scenes where the monster was very close to him multiple times without being able to catch him.

That's not even accounting the fact that you will die pretty fast of hypothermia/thirst/poison in otherworld.

And why would the white haired man be wrong about the poisonous air? They've surely sent all kinds of probes to there for measuring before they sent the scientist.

HStallion

Started and finished it yesterday, it was really fantastic until they revealed the mystery, the parallel universe. After that moment it felt very predictable and the shine kinda wore off, and it felt like it borrowed way too much from Fringe.
It was a great show overall, but there was a pretty massive discrepancy in how intriguing and captivating it was before and after the revelation of the parallel universe.

Fringe is hardly the originator of that idea let alone the one that does it best. Shit the X Files did this stuff in the 90's and many other movies and shows did it before that.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Fringe is hardly the originator of that idea let alone the one that does it best. Shit the X Files did this stuff in the 90's and many other movies and shows did it before that.
But Fringe is the first of them I loved to watch.
I didn't think I needed to add an "for me" :/

Ooh I forgot to mention the kids, they did an incredible job at acting holy shit. The three of them put experienced Hollywood actors to shame.

HStallion

But Fringe is the first of them I loved to watch.
I didn't think I needed to add an "for me" :/

Ooh I forgot to mention the kids, they did an incredible job at acting holy shit. The three of them put experienced Hollywood actors to shame.

My point is that its a very common idea and has been done a dozen times and it doesn't matter if its done again, its how well its used and I thought they fleshed everything out quite nicely involving the Upside Down. Its still quite mysterious and alien but it fits into the story, the world of the show and so on.

HStallion

That's just hyperbole.

It is but most Hollywood actors are competent and good looking with a nice body at best, no one is hiring Chris or Liam Hemsworth for their acting chops and the Fast and the Furious movies aren't sold on incredible acting. Most of them are nowhere near the caliber of guys like Daniel Day Lewis unless all those Marvel movie actors are hiding some latent acting talent. I said it before but I think its the most consistent, competent all around group of child and teen actors I've seen since the Wire. Most shows can't even get their one child actor right, let alone a group of them.

zoukka

The main kid was fine, his friends had way less to deliver, Dustin especially was written as a comedic relief. El was cool too but again, not very traditional role and had barely any dialogue.

HStallion

The main kid was fine, his friends had way less to deliver, Dustin especially was written as a comedic relief. El was cool too but again, not very traditional role and had barely any dialogue.

Yeah and she said more with her emotions better than most actors do with an entire scripts worth of dialogue. Also Dustin was the therapist of the group despite saying a lot of hilarious things, he was the glue that held things together when the other kids were getting all caught up in their own personal bull shit.

Exodust

Banned

Wasn't disagreeing with you, just arguing that him being in bad condition doesn't mean it was just the toxic gas.

Finished the show and love it but I have two burning comments:

Despite Will being saved it would seem the monster's incubation of him was successfully based on his last scene curious if he's going to be a coughing up monster slugs or in turning into one himself.

Can everyone really just try to forget everything happened considering the facility is still operational and that portal to the Upside Down world still exist and is open!?

Curiocity

The plot demanded that Will survive even though it makes no sense at all. I mean in the beginning of the show I thought Will had some kind of powers as well because he wasn't killed in the otherworld and we even had scenes where the monster was very close to him multiple times without being able to catch him.

That's not even accounting the fact that you will die pretty fast of hypothermia/thirst/poison in otherworld.

And why would the white haired man be wrong about the poisonous air? They've surely sent all kinds of probes to there for measuring before they sent the scientist.
The length of time you can endure the environment is unknown to the viewer, as is the effect. What we know is that electronic and radio technology has interference, that suits were warranted either by precaution or necessity, and that our average child protagonist is alive but failing fast. I personally attributed his weeklong survival to him being careful and observant (he's able to hide just long enough to observe the creature's behavior/patterns, but gets nabbed as he gets weaker.) There's surely an element of Spielbergian "pluckiness" to his character but I didn't think it was too much so, given the fact that he DOES get nabbed and nearly died rather than marching out of the upside down with warpaint on his face and the creature's head on a pike.

At any rate, as far as we're concerned, exposure could result in anything from horrific death to just an inconvenient respiratory infection. Since data-gathering probes aren't mentioned, it's safe to assume that suits were worn either because probes were unreliable, or because probes -were- reliable.

Mr. F

Banned
Cross-post from the OT;

Finished it last night, I enjoyed it by and large but wasn't without the occasional gripes.

Lucas just sucked, full stop. His constant contrarian attitude even in the face of overwhelming proof of whatever he happened to be whining about was irritating. I don't care if "every friend group has one!" it was annoying to the point where I found it hard to buy him and Mike as supposed best friends.

Dustin is great.

Bigger gripes; I will say the more they showed of Eleven's backstory and the general flashbacks of the lab/government building, the hokeyer it felt. I think the show given its apparent budget was best when it was showing and not telling, the wider the lab story got kind of ran counter to what I was to believe as a viewer. Small sets, cheap looking 'science stuff' everywhere, and hallways with lab coats walking up and down. I kind of wish it had gone a bit more understated in its presentation because it felt less imposing as a governmental force and more like an old dude and 15 soldiers/doctors occupying this massive monolithic building.

I also kind of wish we had seen more of the upside down

Top Bottom