• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things [SPOILER THREAD] We're All Fleas Now

Matty77

Plus, whatever new goons the government sends in the wake of Brenner's death would want Will.

My guess is that in season 2, we'll meet actual people from The Upside Down as well as learn more about the Lovecraftian creatures. There's a theory in the main thread that the Upside Down is a world where the Cold War actually happened, hence Eleven being able to travel to that dimension so easily. The monster may or may not have been human at once time, or is an offspring of mutated humans. It certainly is intelligent enough to know when to go back and forth.
As More Badass pointed out everything on the other side is exactly the same just decayed, alternate timelines wouldn't really make sense. That and the D&D references, vale of shadows make me think it's just a mirror.

I hate to be a bummer but like I said in my previous post thanks to certain shows everyone has been conditioned to look for secrets, they do it in the GOT thread too when I think it's pretty much what you see is what you get.

However the one thing those theory's make me hope is that with a second season and beyond maybe the gate becomes less of a tear and more of an actual gate where each story could be a different place opened on the town.

I do want el back but I think a season two of just looking for her or the same threat would totally ruin the good will this has earned.

WillyFive

Will will probably be chased after the bad guys next season after some event causes his dimension-shifting stuff to gets noticed.

Sölf;210341202 said:
So, one thing that bothers me a bit. Do you think, we see the same monster the whole time? The final episode puzzles me a bit. That thing gets burned and goes back into the USD. The Sheriff and Wil's mother see the blood trail and follow it until it completely vanishes near the Library. And after that, we see the monster appear at the school. But I am not sure if that is really the same thing or another monster of the same species. It just seems a bit weird. I doubt the library and school are near to each other. Maybe it just wasn't handled that way and the blood trail became less and less but we didn't see it. So it simply stopped bleeding at the library.

Monster was hurt and went back to it's hiding place, which is where it kept all his victims. That allowed the sheriff and mom to find Will; while the monster got attracted to the school after El killed the gunmen.

Vic_Viper

So pissed about Nancy getting back with Steve. Wtf is she thinking lol.

Netflix has ordered a second season and the creators did say they would revisit the characters from this season. Doesn't mean it'll be a continuation though. Can't wait to see what these guys do next.

El is obviously still alive and Hop is taking care of her now like she's his own daughter. But seems like she's trapped in the upside down probably has to recharge.

That X-Men comic they kept referring too is the first appearance of the Dark Phenoix btw ;)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
As More Badass pointed out everything on the other side is exactly the same just decayed, alternate timelines wouldn't really make sense. That and the D&D references, vale of shadows make me think it's just a mirror.

I hate to be a bummer but like I said in my previous post thanks to certain shows everyone has been conditioned to look for secrets, they do it in the GOT thread too when I think it's pretty much what you see is what you get.

However the one thing those theory's make me hope is that with a second season and beyond maybe the gate becomes less of a tear and more of an actual gate where each story could be a different place opened on the town.

I do want el back but I think a season two of just looking for her or the same threat would totally ruin the good will this has earned.

This was something I pointed out on my rewatch in the OT thread. The show really isn't trying to hide things in plain sight that will be really important later on like so many modern shows. Not only that but it doesn't make some random side characters comment really important down the road for some convoluted reason. That sort of stuff. The show is surprisingly "simple" in its story telling but its so focused and does it so well I don't think it matters at all, in fact it probably benefits from it.

Matty77

This was something I pointed out on my rewatch in the OT thread. The show really isn't trying to hide things in plain sight that will be really important later on like so many modern shows. Not only that but it doesn't make some random side characters comment really important down the road for some convoluted reason. That sort of stuff. The show is surprisingly "simple" in its story telling but its so focused and does it so well I don't think it matters at all, in fact it probably benefits from it.
Yeah I also like that about it, same as I like they didn't take the easy road and put Nancy with Jonathon, that's what romantic Hollywood would do but in real life the girl goes back to the other kid(especially since he turns out to be more than a one note Douche) and the weird kid goes on to be the weird kid. He even throws a lampshade on it in the walk between the gun range and the woods.

rexor0717

I hope his hair returns in S2.

Yeah, just look at that hair lol
JeanRalphio.png

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Agreed. It felt very refreshing in that sense.

Yeah I also like that about it, same as I like they didn't take the easy road and put Nancy with Jonathon, that's what romantic Hollywood would do but in real life the girl goes back to the other kid(especially since he turns out to be more than a one note Douche) and the weird kid goes on to be the weird kid. He even throws a lampshade on it in the walk between the gun range and the woods.
I liked how they ended things with that trio. I liked both how they had Steve redeem himself (and survive) and how Nancy didn't end romantically involved with Jonathan. After what they went through It's way more interesting to have them become close friends.

I think Hopper's deal involves him working with them now. Brenner and his team were too sloppy. Disappearances and bodies means people will start asking questions and Hopper would be best suited to deal with situations like this. The people of Hawkins would more easily trust him than some guys in suits. Also, did anyone else get a Silent Hill vibe when Hopper and Joyce were in the Upside Down World?

Gattsu25

Banned
what? Steve was a stand up guy all season, likeable and honest

Jonathan was a weird creepo with no friends who took unsolicited photos of her undressing

Yeah, that's how I saw it as well.
Yeah, I was leaning more towards some body snatcher thing. Like he was freaked out and terrified in the bathroom...and then he comes out and "I'm fine"

Something's up

Did Will even notice that he coughed up the eldritch slug? I took that as something that the audience, but not the victim, noticed.

what? Steve was a stand up guy all season, likeable and honest

Jonathan was a weird creepo with no friends who took unsolicited photos of her undressing

Eh.. They towed the line with him. Respectful in some moments, pressuring in others. Loving in some moments, Aloof of in others. Stand up guy who saved the day, asshole who broke the camera and let his friend spray paint obscenities about Nancy.

Jonathan was mostly just your par for the course brooding teen but less edgy than the trope usually portrays. A good guy at heart who is awkward which translate to "weird" in standard social circles.

Steve could easily still turn out to be shitty but Jonathan isn't likely to turn into super creeper. Not without something significant happening to him.

Did Will even notice that he coughed up the eldritch slug? I took that as something that the audience, but not the victim, noticed.

yeah, that's how i saw it as well

if i remember right, Barb has the same type of slug coming out of her face when El sees her corpse

The one thing that bothered me is that Hop wasn't killed when he was first caught sneaking into the lab. They killed Benny just because he saw Eleven. Why wouldn't they kill the chief? At that point he hadn't talked to anybody about the incident. They could have made it look like suicide again (booze and pills, depressed, etc). But then in the end he goes on the g-men's car... And the way he was able to bargain with the scientists. I don't know but I think there's more to Hop than meets the eye. He doesn't look like a city cop, so how did he end as the town's chief? What's his background?

Anyway, I loved the show. Best love letter to my childhood EVER. Great acting, fantastic cinematography, plot, characters/writing. I loved the Upside Down. Very Silent Hill-esque. Cant wait for S2!

Qvoth

If they do a Season 2, I hope it's an anthology. Telekenisis and The Upside Down were cool, but I don't think you'd be able to wring another season's worth of story out of that stuff.

Plus Stranger Things just sounds like the name of an anthology of weird sci-fi stories.

they already mentioned it's going to be a sequel and not some anthology series

and i think the creature eats animals, but uses humans for hosts for the slugs

The one thing that bothered me is that Hop wasn't killed when he was first caught sneaking into the lab. They killed Benny just because he saw Eleven. Why wouldn't they kill the chief? At that point he hadn't talked to anybody about the incident. They could have made it look like suicide again (booze and pills, depressed, etc). But then in the end he goes on the g-men's car... And the way he was able to bargain with the scientists. I don't know but I think there's more to Hop than meets the eye. He doesn't look like a city cop, so how did he end as the town's chief? What's his background?

Anyway, I loved the show. Best love letter to my childhood EVER. Great acting, fantastic cinematography, plot, characters/writing. I loved the Upside Down. Very Silent Hill-esque. Cant wait for S2!

Killing a police chief is a whole different thing than killing a cook. Him committing suicide so close to Benny and with the disappearance of Will and Barb would look even more suspicious. As for his background, I think he is from Hawkins, left and had a family, and then came back after his daughter died.

There are enough questions left unanswered for the next season to be a continuation of this one.

What hatched from that egg? Are those slugs the faceless's eggs or something else? What's up with Will? What's up with Hop? Where did Eleven go?

I also loved that the series avoided typical teen drama. Lucas vs Mike and Jonathan vs Steve resolved itself quickly, organically and in a smart way. Seriously good writing.
Killing a police chief is a whole different thing than killing a cook. Him committing suicide so close to Benny and with the disappearance of Will and Barb would look even more suspicious. As for his background, I think he is from Hawkins, left and had a family, and then came back after his daughter died.
Barb was assumed runaway, no foul play was suspected from Will's disappearance (at least nobody except for the chief was linking it to the lab) and the chief was barely functional already. It would have been open and shut. Depressed chief drinks/overdoses mourning over dead daughter.

But yeah, to be honest I'm probably reading too much into it. :D

edit: also, you're probably right about Hop's background. The science teacher talk while searching for Will in the woods mentioned the chief's own science teacher.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

My take is also that killing Hop would raise too many eyebrows and they already had their hands full with people disappearing. The less eyes on their operation the better, and having the Sheriff disappear or be found dead could go off the rails quick and bring even more for them to deal with. The town basically only had 1 suicide and 1 disappearance before that week.

Also, Hop was on medication, so they probably thought he would be confused about actually having gone there if he woke up in his couch. The bug would also help in case he started making calls right away (early on they suspected he might have been sent by "someone else").

Another thing I noticed were subtle hints showing a difference between how Brenner and Frazier dealt with things. It felt like she was more trigger happy while he'd rather be furtive and try to talk things out. I think that if Brenner was away there's a chance Hopper would have been done away with at that part.

Frazier was the one who shot Benny and Brenner wasn't directly involved with the search at that point. She's also the one making the grunts tase Hopper until Brenner comes in to talk to him. Then, after they send Hopper and Joyce to the Upside Down, Frazier isn't satisfied about the deal they made with Hopper and is worried about them actually finding Will and coming back. Brenner tells her it's unlikely and ends the conversation with something like "they're gone now. Isn't that what you wanted?". There are probably more hints to her taking more violent approaches when she's heading the operation, but I'd have to rewatch to pick up on more.

My take is also that killing Hop would raise too many eyebrows and they already had their hands full with people disappearing. The less eyes on their operation the better, and having the Sheriff disappear or be found dead could go off the rails quick and bring even more for them to deal with. The town basically only had 1 suicide and 1 disappearance before that week.

Also, Hop was on medication, so they probably thought he would be confused about actually having gone there if he woke up in his couch. The bug would also help in case he started making calls right away (early on they suspected he might have been sent by "someone else").

Another thing I noticed were subtle hints showing a difference between how Brenner and Frazier dealt with things. It felt like she was more trigger happy while he'd rather be furtive and try to talk things out. I think that if Brenner was away there's a chance Hopper would have been done away with at that part.

Frazier was the one who shot Benny and Brenner wasn't directly involved with the search at that point. She's also the one making the grunts tase Hopper until Brenner comes in to talk to him. Then, after they send Hopper and Joyce to the Upside Down, Frazier isn't satisfied about the deal they made with Hopper and is worried about them actually finding Will and coming back. Brenner tells her it's unlikely and ends the conversation with something like "they're gone now. Isn't that what you wanted?". There are probably more hints to her taking more violent solutions when she's heading the operation, but I'd have to rewatch to pick up on more.

That is why I think Hop's deal involves him working with the g-men now. He is the new cleanup guy. He's not kill crazy like the Frazier and the townspeople trust him more than Brenner. He would have handled Benny in a very different way than Frazier and Michael's parents (his mother at least) would've trusted him more.

Edit: Another thing I was thinking was why was the Upside Down World an empty void when Eleven first went there but it was all Silent Hill with other people.

burgervan

The older brother gave Will a mixtape with The Smiths on it, but their first album didn't come out until 1984.

Cancel season 2.

That is why I think Hop's deal involves him working with the g-men now. He is the new cleanup guy. He's not kill crazy like the Frazier and the townspeople trust him more than Brenner. He would have handled Benny in a very different way than Frazier and Michael's parents (his mother at least) would've trusted him more.

Edit: Another thing I was thinking was why was the Upside Down World an empty void when Eleven first went there but it was all Silent Hill with other people.
It's not.

The black Under The Skin-esque area is a visual representation of El psychically projecting her mind. However she "dug too deep", as they say, and mentally crossed over to the Upside Down, alerting the creature to our presence and dimension

That's the Lovecaftian aspect, or at least cosmic horror. Humanity awakening some uncaring otherworldly being from another dimension through our own hubris (pushing El to go farther)

The older brother gave Will a mixtape with The Smiths on it, but their first album didn't come out until 1984.

Cancel season 2.

Season 2 is about time travel confirmed.

Edit:
It's not.

The black Under The Skin-esque area is a visual representation of El psychically projecting her mind. However she "dug too deep", as they say, and mentally crossed over to the Upside Down, alerting the creature to our presence and dimension

That's the Lovecaftian aspect, or at least cosmic horror. Humanity awakening some uncaring otherworldly being from another dimension through our own hubris (pushing El to go farther)

Gotcha. Speaking of El, she needs to come back. She deserves a happy life dammit!

Fou-Lu

Obviously Will is going to become a dimension hopping, badass monster hunter in the future.

Also, I would prefer Jonathan ends up being the Dean to Will's Sam instead of being tied down by Nancy anyway. Steve and her can have their suburban life.

Obviously Will is going to become a dimension hopping, badass monster hunter in the future.

Also, I would prefer Jonathan ends up being the Dean to Will's Sam instead of being tied down by Nancy anyway. Steve and her can have their suburban life.

Please, they are going to continue with the fantasy motiff. Will is going to be Frodo. Mike is Samwise and the other two are Merry and Pippin. Jonathan is Aragon.

C4Lukins

Anyone else get a homage vibe for Indiana Jones with the sheriff and his hat?

Hell there is an homage to just about every great 80's sci-fi or horror film. Poltergeist, Aliens, Firestarter, Close Encounters, It, Jaws(I know that is 70's), The Goonies, Stand by Me, The Thing, ET, and I could go on.

As far as the intention of a second season. I think it is obvious that they would like to do one, but they wanted this to be self contained so that if it does not happen, it is still a satisfying full story with a few loose ends.

The Dungeons and Dragons dialogue at the end of episode 8 represents this. When they win the game, the kids are dissapointed and say that it was not enough.

"What about the lost knight," I assume that is the Sheriff or 11.

"The Proud Princess," Either referring to 11 or Nancy.

"The weird flowers in the cave," refers to the empty egg or the face hugger on Wiil.

It is fun to speculate. Great show.

Did El create the upside down when she cracked reality? Kind of a negative photo copy burned onto whatever dimension that creature was from.

Hopper gave me Dennis Quaid mixed with Indiana jones.

C4Lukins

Did El create the upside down when she cracked reality? Kind of a negative photo copy burned onto whatever dimension that creature was from.

Hopper gave me Dennis Quaid mixed with Indiana jones.

No I just think she accidentally opened the portal to the other dimension which already existed.

He violated her privacy in a major way there but that was a teenager making a stupid decision in the moment.

And so were some of the things Steve did, like he just seemed like a stand up guy just hanging with the wrong crowd.

Also she was already with Steve and very much into him, and seeing him change for the better probably made any decision she had to make that much easier.

No I just think she accidentally opened the portal to the other dimension which already existed.

Pretty much once she touched the upside down creature. She opened a portal into a mirror world. Wonder were they go from here given Will's connect to it and Eleven maybe or maybe not being alive and experiencing who knows what. Where ever she is.

Maybe Will will act as a walking enhancer/link between worlds and could connect to Eleven, when other can't. That walkie talkie will most likely factor in at some point.

Have to wonder how they will handle aging the characters if they do a time skip or continue directly from this story line in the second season. Or will they take a different route and then bring it back around narratively.

What the FUCK Nancy? That is the only complaint I have.

It would be cliche as fuck for her to get with John after such a short time. They really have nothing in common at the present time. Though maybe Nancy will have second thoughts down the road in regards to Steve. As she begins to understand what its like living in his circle and realizing what Barbara said (before she was taken) and takes it to heart more and more. That would be Johns only chance, plus he's already out of high school it seems or at least is about to. Have no real idea what grade she is and he's a bit creepy.

uniform

I didn't see her break up with Steve in the first place, and even if she did, his redemption arc won her back.

I don't recall her showing any feelings toward Jonathan, unless you're counting the friendly peck on the cheek after giving him the present. The show hammers home how into Nancy he is but it's clearly unreciprocated.

I honestly like it. The dweeb winning over the attractive girl is a tired trope and would betray what I saw throughout the 8 episodes.

Matty77

Okay I have seen enough questions and weird theory's I am going to try explaining the upside down(which is a hint in itself) in real science theory which they seemed to be going for.

Really think about the flea and the acrobat. The hole is so the acrobat can go where the flea goes on the rope, not move to another plate.

This isn't Stargate it's From Beyond. In other words by dimension they don't mean another world closed off from ours, they mean it in the sense of say adding a fourth dimension to our three. The upside down is not another place, it's our world as perceived from a level we don't have access to. The hole changed that.

When will was there he was in the same space just on another frequency so he could only be perceived by the normal/percieve the normal through things that must be interactable on both planes, in this case electricity. Same rules applied to the beast, and the same thing reacted twice as much when El(the flea) was creating the bridge between the two dimensions.

Now I won't pretend I know what the Brothers or writers were thinking of or that I am 100% correct, but the way they used the science teacher and the example they used seriously leads me to believe this is what they were going for.

TL;DR

The upside down dimension is probably not a completely different reality, it's our world seen through a perspective we normally cannot see.

Burt

Okay I have seen enough questions and weird theory's I am going to try explaining the upside down(which is a hint in itself) in real science theory which they seemed to be going for.

Really think about the flea and the acrobat. The hole is so the acrobat can go where the flea goes on the rope, not move to another plate.

This isn't Stargate it's From Beyond. In other words by dimension they don't mean another world closed off from ours, they mean it in the sense of say adding a fourth dimension to our three. The upside down is not another place, it's our world as perceived from a level we don't have access to. The hole changed that.

When will was there he was in the same space just on another frequency so he could only be perceived by the normal/percieve the normal through things that must be interactable on both planes, in this case electricity. Same rules applied to the beast, and the same thing reacted twice as much when El(the flea) was creating the bridge between the two dimensions.

Now I won't pretend I know what the Brothers or writers were thinking of or that I am 100% correct, but the way they used the science teacher and the example they used seriously leads me to believe this is what they were going for.

TL;DR

The upside down dimension is probably not a completely different reality, it's our world seen through a perspective we normally cannot see.
Yeah, I'm pretty much on board with that. There's no way those structures would be there in that environment/reality other than it manifesting whatever springs up in ours. I definitely like "Vale of Shadows" over "parallel universe", which implies something separate.

On another note, the writers of Daredevil need to look at this to learn how to correctly leave dangling threads and the aura of the unexplained instead of stupid, massive (plot) holes.

Pun intended.

TL;DR

That also makes it more cosmic horror-y. Things man was not meant to know and all that.

C4Lukins

I sort of hope they keep the same characters for season 2, but the supernatural elements are different.

I do not think there is enough there with the upside down world to justify another season.

I would love it to be a Castle Rock sort of thing, where the town constantly faces new horrors, but they are very different horrors each time.

Ideally, bring 11 back, and use certain strains from the first season as side story material. But the new threat is something completely different.

Matty77

That also makes it more cosmic horror-y. Things man was not meant to know and all that.
Yup, also ties in with the idea( which also reminds me of Odd Thomas) that usually things are okay until they know we see them. There is an SCP about a pair of 3D glasses that also follows that. As for this show el's fear caused the rift but the beast was choosing to move between which makes me wonder if it needed the rift or if up until that moment we were beneath its notice.

I sort of hope they keep the same characters for season 2, but the supernatural elements are different.

I do not think there is enough there with the upside down world to justify another season.

I would love it to be a Castle Rock sort of thing, where the town constantly faces new horrors, but they are very different horrors each time.

Ideally, bring 11 back, and use certain strains from the first season as side story material. But the new threat is something completely different.
This is kind of how I feel about it too. A different threat for each season/sequel they have, maybe the rift didn't just open to that plane of reality but acted as a beacon to all kinds of nasty shit.

What an awesome show!

I will not be surprised if this turns out to have Stephen King involved in some way. Are those direct mentions, on- and off-screen, and that title font supposed to be "It's an homage!" excuses?

Cancel season 2.

Sometimes the music was a little too on-the-nose.

Just finished it and loved it. I really hope they do a second season. I absolutely love the cast chemistry in this show and the 80s homages. I do wonder how they can expand it though. Maybe it will revolve around trying to close the portal? That's still open as far as we know, right?

I'm super bummed that Barbara died. I figured she was a gonner but I had hope. I actually like that Nancy got back with Steve, it was different but felt real.

Also do you guys remember that thread from a few months ago about a reddit user making posts about LSD experiments and flesh portals in Creepy Pasta? Any chance that was viral marketing for this show? Or is LSD and flesh portals a long time conspiracy theory that I never heard about until then?

Qvoth

I'm not even sure Jonathan is THAT into Nancy tbh
I feel like his feelings for her are just product of their circumstances

Matty77

Just finished it and loved it. I really hope they do a second season. I absolutely love the cast chemistry in this show and the 80s homages. I do wonder how they can expand it though. Maybe it will revolve around trying to close the portal? That's still open as far as we know, right?

I'm super bummed that Barbara died. I figured she was a gonner but I had hope. I actually like that Nancy got back with Steve, it was different but felt real.

Also do you guys remember that thread from a few months ago about a reddit user making posts about LSD experiments and flesh portals in Creepy Pasta? Any chance that was viral marketing for this show? Or is LSD and flesh portals a long time conspiracy theory that I never heard about until then?
Never heard the flesh portal thing though it might be a conspiracy, but MKultra and all the LSD experiments, attempts to use psychics for espionage or assassination are not conspiracy or theory, those are real documented government experiments that grew out of Operation Paperclip where America repatriated and relocated nazi scientists to our side and their experiments continued unabated.

So pretty much the tear and actual paranormal events are the only part of what Bennet was doing that wasn't based off real life events.

kurahador

Nancy thing is a big bummer. I get why they did that considering how they make the boyfriend characterization of someone not really an asshole, but it doesn't quite make sense for Nancy considering how her recklessness was what killed her best friend --- and the framing her death in particular is pretty damning.

Pretty good show in the end. It never quite succeed in finding how to balance the adult, teenager and kids POV in the grand scheme of thing --- the teenager especially, but I had fun with the kids and adults part.
Also...episode 3-5 felt abit of a slog to me, but 1, 2 and 6 onward were solid movie like experience.

obin_gam

Good luck sleeping: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra

Adree

Why wasn't there a bear trap in the upside-down world? The monster should have still been stuck in the trap if it switched dimensions?

Just a nitpick since it was a fantastic show.

Top Bottom