• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 5 for PS4 & PC teaser trailer

This was a leaked trailer that happened overnight and the west coast isn't even up yet?
I think you're being naive if you believe there will be somolar reaction.

Well see, but i doubt the overall tone both in ccommunities and media will match the tomb raider announcement.

Are people just speculating because "fair and balanced" or is it confirmed that Sony has invested in this?

Even if they did investment =/= moneyhat.

Those are really pretty graphics. That style suits the game so well, so unique.

So you're telling me that Capcom lacked the means to create a sequel to one of their largest and most lucrative franchises on their own?

jake.gif

Trey

We may never know details. I doubt gamers will make a big enough stink about this.

Gamers have already accepted this practice, it's too late for that.

It makes sense to third party publishers in the beginning of the gen because the total console install base isn't high, so they probably make more money from the exclusivity deal than they lose on cutting off potential sales from the console that loses out.

It makes sense for the console maker, because the community that surrounds the game in question gets built up exclusively on the moneyhatter's services, which is an important element in retaining customers throughout the generation.

Every one "wins" except the consumers of the console that gets boxed out due to the money hat.

disappointed that it looks so much like SFIV
Well, if everyone agrees with me right now - the game might be in early development.

I think that Capcom is putting the Super Street Fighter IV or Ultra Street Fighter IV gameplay with some modifications such as next-gen lighting and effects.

But still, the game might come years and years to come (possibly 2017) and I hope when there's a new gameplay trailer, the art style of Street Fighter V will be slightly different from the teaser trailer.

In either case, I think this game will be a good fighting game for PS4 and PC. (If Microsoft wants Street Fighter V, make Super Street Fighter V and have Capcom to have more MON-AY!)

Aesthet1c

I honestly think it's probably way too early to judge the graphics of this. They have a long ways to go and a lot can change in that time.

However, if the final game is just an update of the SFIV assets, I'll be pretty disappointed.

Bricky

This thread is strange when you put it next to the one about Tomb raider exclusivity.

This is very likely to be another Bayonetta 2. Last year Ono said that there wasn't enough budget to make Street Fighter V and now it is a PS4-exclusive game all of a sudden, that isn't coincidence.

Tomb Raider was a different situation and a very strange deal on top of that. Most people didn't even shit on Microsoft for it (it was a smart get for them) but on Square Enix since it is doubtful the quick buck they make will compensate for the sales lost thanks to it only being available on the One for a while. Even Tomb Raider 2013 sold more units on Playstation than Xbox. it didn't make any sense.

couldn't this just be, that the game will be ps4 exclusive in japan?

The trailer is in english, was clearly meant for PSX or TGA and why the hell would they want exclusivity to PS4 in Japan? It isn't like the Xbox One is big competition there, might as well release it on both if they were making a Xbox version for USA/Europe anyway.

rrc1594

Monster Hunter 3 and 4, Ace Attorney series, Dead Rising 1 and 3 etc.

They always have been fucking Sony this generation, being them the only ones who never had a Capcom exclusive. So it's justice to give Sony SFV.

People who doesn't want to buy one at least have PC, or may wait until the next SFV iteration that I assume would be multi.

mj-laughing.gif

GamerJM

Banned
Why would that suddenly be the case? There's no precedent for that in a Capcom fighter, as far as I know.

Probably because of Deep Down. There doesn't have to be a precedent for that sort of thing when that format works well for fighting games (judging by KI) and more stuff in general goes F2P now.

NHale

But where are the multiple, coincidentally timed threads and news articles from Eurogamer etc discussing the inethical nature of exclusivity deals?

I agree. I expect a decent website to be able to produce in depth analysis about this kind of surprise news in less than 30 minutes. The lack of an article clearly shows the bias from the gaming media against Microsoft, the Xbox One, Xbox One owners and the entire World population*.

I'm now waiting for Eurogamer to fire everyone in charge because of their unability to act immediately against this attack. If not they can kiss their business goodbye.

* except 3rd tier countries.

Gurrry

You had a lot more pissed off people in the Tomb Raider thread because the lack of even a PC port. Not really a comparable situation.

Yeahhhhhh def not.

Tomb Raider wasnt even that good of a game and everyone just flipped their shit because it was an xb1 exclusive. The majority on GAF own PS4's. So any time there is an exclusive on XB1, its gonna get shit on.

I feel like were not seeing enough outrage about this because XB1 owners are in the minority.

I just hope there are ps4 owners here that are getting upset about this too. Exclusivity, no matter who or what console, is fucking bullshit.

Seriously, this is becoming the new day 1 dlc.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
You're now drawing the conversation to another lane, just so you can make your pillow fist count for something.

I'll call you on the "they don't have the money" though, I wanna see that receipt where SE states so before the announcement.

I only own a PC...

What receipts? Both companies are full of shit. I'd rather they were both honest and just said, "We love money Sony/Microsoft offered us more than we could refuse".

I love Street Fighter. I just want 5, I don't care which console. But I'll wait for the Hyper Compuglobal Meganet Deluxe Turbo Edition.

Why do people (XB1 owners?) so pissed of over this?
Is it okay to have console exclusives titles but not PC exclusives?
Give it time, perhaps it's just a timed exclusives.

lol playstation giving xbox a taste of its own medicine.

let's face it. xbox is going to continue doing that crap no matter what. if i were playstation, might as well get as many 3rd party exclusives as i can before xbox moneyhats them all.

I also think its hilarious that Capcom, one of the companies that have been in some serious financial woes, decide to cut off part of their potential target market by making it an exclusive... Sony must have hooked them up with some serious money.
Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, companies have started to reach the point on their lack of faith in the XB1 that it's just not worth the investment/trouble/risk for them? Especially for a Japanese company. We're been wondering for some time if/when this might happen.

I'm not automatically saying that's the case here. There's no evidence for it. Same as there's no evidence of a dump truck of money involved. Both theories have some decent logic behind them.

Why would that suddenly be the case? There's no precedent for that in a Capcom fighter, as far as I know.

The reason I'm asking is because Capcom loves mobile games and I'm not sure how many units the game would move at full retail price.

Was there a precedent for how KI was released? Isn't an F2P structure ideal for a fighting game?

Genuine questions.

couldn't this just be, that the game will be ps4 exclusive in japan?

well duckroll put out that possibility

- Japanese trailer
- No press release yet
- Video pulled because it wasn't supposed to be up yet

Maybe all the console warriors on either side should sit down until there's an official announcement worldwide? Because if you're releasing any game in Japan from now on, you're probably not going to consider Xbox as a viable platform to even market for. :p

Buying exclusivity for this seems a little stupid since we all know they'll release 2 or 3 new versions of it after this that won't be exclusive. They should have paid for Dragon's Dogma 2 :(

Yeah huge waste of money if it's timed exclusve. The game would come out eventually anyway and depraving fans on Xbox for some time because of money is bad. However Ono's comments saying he lacked funds for the next SF and that it wouldn't come before 2018 makes me think Sony co-funded the game to accelerate its release, and they are probably awarded to have it solely on their platform or for a while.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So you're telling me that Capcom lacked the means to create a sequel to one of their largest and most lucrative franchises on their own?

jake.gif

Yeah it was a money hat plain and simplr even on the remotest chance you could argue they saved the game the mere fact it exists on pc means Capcom negated a beneficial deal for themselves using their leverage.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Megaton! Hope the netcode on PC is better than USF IV!

One of the few multiplatform games I will get on PS4 instead of PC probably. SF community is just bigger on consoles.

Now make my PS3 TE stick work with PS4 please. :(

Also I always liked the SF4 art direction, I do not get the hate.

the graphics look terrible, seem identical to playing sf4 pc on high
Yeah this thread is going pretty smoothly. Personally I think this is a waaaaaaay bigger deal than Tomb Raider exclusivity, for better or worse. I shudder to think what this thread would look like if this were announced as an Xbox One exclusive. That would be a site to behold.

I'm really to curious to learn more about the details behind this deal and what lead up to it.

the pc version softens the blow. had it been full blown ps4 exclusive then the reactions might have been different.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
This is very likely to be another Bayonetta 2. Last year Ono said that there wasn't enough budget to make Street Fighter V and now it is a PS4-exclusive game all of a sudden, that isn't coincidence.

Tomb Raider was a different situation and a very strange deal on top of that. Most people didn't even shit on Microsoft for it (it was a smart get for them) but on Square Enix since it is doubtful the quick buck they make will compensate for the sales lost thanks to it only being available on the One for a while. Even Tomb Raider 2013 sold more units on Playstation than Xbox. it didn't make any sense.

Square Enix said the same thing.

Chobel

I agree. I expect a decent website to be able to produce in depth analysis about this kind of surprise news in less than 30 minutes. The lack of an article clearly shows the bias from the gaming media against Microsoft, the Xbox One, Xbox One owners and the entire World population*.

I'm now waiting for Eurogamer to fire everyone in charge because of their unability to act immediately against this attack. If not they can kiss their business goodbye.

* except 3rd tier countries.

LOL!

Sendou

Maybe and just maybe we're not looking at a devious moneyhat here but instead Capcom looked at the numbers and perhaps figured that supporting the weakest platform wasn't worth it this time around. Putting your game on Steam and PS4 means 110 million people to sell your game to.

Ok, now that I’ve digested this a bit, I’ll drop some thoughts. Apologies if it gets a little wordy.

So something SF related was clearly teased a while ago, as people are mentioning with Hadouken Cabs. I thought it was an Ultra port, but it seems to have been this.

Capcom’s been very clear about funding/money issues, so for the people saying they didn’t need it, I’d be cautious on that. Street Fighter V, like the others before it, will have many iterations and revisions on it. It’s a platform to them, not a game. Sony essentially provided the money to set up their platform for the next 6-10 years. Think about it in that manner, and see why Capcom made the deal.

Also of note; the difference between this and Tomb Raider (at least so far), and the main problem I had with the Tomb Raider deal, was clarity. Microsoft made that announcement, people started asking questions, and what can only be described as a Tony Hawk level of spinning occurred, before they eventually just gave up and basically confirmed a timed exclusive.

With the teaser trailer, it’s up front and center: Exclusive on PS4 and PC. No wiggle room on that. If this was going to be shown at PSX, why is the PC in there? Because Sony straight up wants no confusion. They did something similar at Gamescom, no? Separated the games which were timed and true exclusives, and stated as such?

Now this can all go awry if it’s a region-specific trailer (though the fact that it’s in full English and uses Explosions in the Sky makes me think it’s the worldwide one) or PR goes real murky with it after they announce it, but I think it’s a true console exclusive, and if they jump out and make it clear from the start, it should mitigate a whole lot of issues.

BokehKing

Banned
I'm OK with this Xbox has killer instinct we have Street fighter, both consoles now have a fighter

We both share mortal Kombat

You couldn't have written a better custody battle

vg260

Gotta validate that purchase somehow, amiright?

Seriously, I got an XB1 first and planned getting a PS4 down the road, but still, this exclusivity shit for games like SF5 are painful. It makes me honestly like Sony less. The tomb raider thing made me dislike MS too..

I dont understand how we can be a gaming forum for gaming enthusiasts and have people applaud this business practice.

Dont we want equality?

I hear what your saying, but the only silver lining would be that for games that survive based on online communities, having a less split-up userbase can be good. I'd expect the vast majority of userabase to be on PS4, obviously.

I actually really dig the Xbox One snap features and the idea of having a twitch stream open while messing around in training is fun to me. Not to mention I got a cronus max on sale for <$40 and can use my 360 sticks with very little effort or extra cash. So that's kind of a bummer. They have plenty of time to implement Lab Zero's PS3 driver. No excuse if they don't.

BadWolf

This is what I get for having a long commute lol.

Awesome news!

Digging the look, SF4 but grittier. Reminds me more of the SF2 anime movie.

The exclusivity was rumored and there it is. Though I do find it interesting how Sony is okay with the game coming out on PC but MS wasn't with Tomb Raider.

Anyway, so happy to see that a new game will be taking center stage at tournaments. SF4 has gotten quite stale.

Top Bottom