• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 versus Street Fighter Alpha 3

Alpha 2 you could argue had better graphics but Alpha 3 is king in everything else (also the Sega Saturn version of Alpha 3 was god like). I'd happily take Alpha 4 over Street Fighter 5.

Skilletor

Alpha 2 you could argue had better graphics but Alpha 3 is king in everything else (also the Sega Saturn version of Alpha 3 was god like). I'd happily take Alpha 4 over Street Fighter 5.

Except gameplay. unless you like stupid infinites and broken vism. I guess that's possible.

Alpha 2 is damn near flawless.....Alpha 3 (like MVC2) is fucking broken and vastly inferior to the previous game in the series (Like how MVC1 >>>>>> MVC2)

Alpha 2 is the best SF game after SFIII...IMO

Uh, what? MvC1 is really a news of a game and has fewer viable characters than it's sequel. Gold War Machine vs. Marvel vs. Capcom. lol

The answer to the OP, as clearly stated by many in here is Alpha/Zero 2. The game is simply the best of it's era and was really badly brought down by some of the CPS2 games that came after it.

Bonus points go to Hyper Alpha for the hilarious special -isms. MvC style Guy will never get boring.

That grass stage in alpha 2 puts it over alpha 3 for me. Fell in love with that game in a special way once I saw it. Might also add that I loved the animated movie.

retroman

Alpha 2 all the way!

Alpha 3 is a fine game, but it doesn't feel as polished as the previous installment. Also, the music and U.I. are definitely a step down from Alpha 2.

I never thought of Alpha 3 as so broken like everyone seems to describe it...I loved that package it brought to the table, with the different custom fighting styles (ISMs), the tons of modes, the huge character roster, the great graphics/controls/sound - like, how could you not love that game?

Alpha 2 was amazing - before 3S, I considered it the pinnacle of Street Fighter - but I always thought Alpha 3 was even better than that.

alstein

Neither game was really worthy of tourney play.

A2 had Vallecombos, CC's that led to degenerate situations (KOF98 has this same flaw, but at a much lower life amount), and wack balance (on par with 3S)

A3 had V-infinites, buggy janky hitboxes, fireballs that did pixels of damage, guard meter which was poorly implemented, and several other questionable design decisions.

The best Alpha game was CvS2, and even that was pretty flawed.

lord_lad

Banned
I like alpha 2 more as its the last sf with unique background and music for each character.

Also, the presentation is more 'classic'. Sfa3 presentation is too 'modern'.

Personally I liked the aerial grabs in Alpha 3, especially with Cody and Karin, it was always the perfect ender, and if you KO with Karin there would be no death scream.

ZeroCDR

Alpha 2 had a much nicer presentation and aesthetic, Alpha 3 kinda looked like a MUGEN game to me but I love all the extra characters in the expanded versions. They're both really fun to play of course.

I love this stage in Alpha II, really cracks me up with the loo doors opening when someone does a super.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-UF0pMcip8&t=55s

0bwRewL.jpg

Alpha 3 for me. I like the music, roster and dat World Tour Mode. Stage backgrounds are close, maybe I'll give the edge to Alpha 3 becuase there are more.

Alpha 3 is the GOAT fighting game imo

luka

Loves Robotech S1
which is the best version of zero 2 on saturn, the original or the port of dash that was in the sf collection? is there any reason to get one over the other?

I only ever played Alpha 3 on PS1. Had tons of fun with it but HATED those excruciating load times.

Which is the best console version of Alpha 3?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I love the backgrounds of SFA3 and the world tour mode.
I enjoyed the background and music and solid game play from SFA2.

If I had to choose I would pick SFA2, but dramatic battles did it for me for SFA3

I never thought of Alpha 3 as so broken like everyone seems to describe it...I loved that package it brought to the table, with the different custom fighting styles (ISMs), the tons of modes, the huge character roster, the great graphics/controls/sound - like, how could you not love that game?

Alpha 2 was amazing - before 3S, I considered it the pinnacle of Street Fighter - but I always thought Alpha 3 was even better than that.
it's not broken until you get to high level play.

Casual play, and intermediate even likely didn't have as much issue with V-ism, techs and all that jazz. I enjoyed it more, but acknowledge the more balanced SFA2

Producer

I'm partial to alpha3 but thats because of nostalgia since its the first SF game i played, i recognize that 2 is the better game.

alpha 3 for me, it also had my favorite version of ken.

honestly its really close, 3rd strike with parrying made the meta game insane with being able to predict anti airs, and using certain moves to delay their parry reaction time.

entremet

alpha 3 for me, it also had my favorite version of ken.

honestly its really close, 3rd strike with parrying made the meta game insane with being able to predict anti airs, and using certain moves to delay their parry reaction time.

I loved Ken in Alpha 3. His command kicks were amazing, especially Forward + HK.

Shadoken

What sad story? I'm a bit rusty on my SF history.

Maybe it's about some of the characters from Darkstalkers before they died.I never knew there was a story about the stage before.

From Fighting Street.

"The teddy bear appearance was done to remember a certain programmer, who worked on a port of Strider for the Japanese NEC SuperGrafx. This system was supposed to be hyped as one of the most powerful home systems of its era, possessing hardware that was supposed to be comparable to what the arcades had during that time. People have said that there was a lot of pressure by the company to make this specific port of Strider the best home port possible. Capcom wanted it to not only be as good as the arcade... but even better.
This specific programmer worked long, tireless hours with deadlines fast approaching. Unfortunately, he got so extremely stressed with the monumental task, he snapped and committed suicide as a result. The SuperGrafx version of Strider never did get completed, and the SuperGrafx itself ended up becoming a dud of a system, due to lack of titles. Only less than 6 games have been reported to have been created for it altogether.
The guy loved teddy bears, so that is why the Strider cameo holds one in his honor."

entremet

From Fighting Street.

"The teddy bear appearance was done to remember a certain programmer, who worked on a port of Strider for the Japanese NEC SuperGrafx. This system was supposed to be hyped as one of the most powerful home systems of its era, possessing hardware that was supposed to be comparable to what the arcades had during that time. People have said that there was a lot of pressure by the company to make this specific port of Strider the best home port possible. Capcom wanted it to not only be as good as the arcade... but even better.
This specific programmer worked long, tireless hours with deadlines fast approaching. Unfortunately, he got so extremely stressed with the monumental task, he snapped and committed suicide as a result. The SuperGrafx version of Strider never did get completed, and the SuperGrafx itself ended up becoming a dud of a system, due to lack of titles. Only less than 6 games have been reported to have been created for it altogether.
The guy loved teddy bears, so that is why the Strider cameo holds one in his honor."

Wow. Interesting nugget. Very sad too.

Soltype

From Fighting Street.

Wow, that was sad.

The only standout difference to me is that Alpha 3 changed the throw mechanic and I hated that. I always go to Alpha 2 for that and the fact that it's the more familiar one to me.

I love this stage in Alpha II, really cracks me up with the loo doors opening when someone does a super.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-UF0pMcip8&t=55s

0bwRewL.jpg
Transgendered pottygoer aside, I never cared for the way nobody gives a damn about two people power fighting in most of the Street Fighter environments. SNK's fighting game stages were so much more lively and energetic with the crowds going insane over the fight.

Gren

which is the best version of zero 2 on saturn, the original or the port of dash that was in the sf collection? is there any reason to get one over the other?

Zero 2'/Alpha 2 Gold has more content (Cammy, more "classic" versions) as well as general system changes (i.e. toned-down Valle CCs, Alpha Counters cost more meter) to go along with character-specific tweaks. Only reason to play vanilla Alpha 2 is that it's still currently viewed as the "definitive" version in the US (for what it's worth in this day & age), as we never got the upgraded release in arcades.

Just get Alpha Anthology on PS2, then you get access to both and more :)

Nice bit of trivia regarding Strider, never knew that.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Zero 2'/Alpha 2 Gold has more content (Cammy, more "classic" versions) as well as general system changes (i.e. toned-down Valle CCs, Alpha Counters cost more meter) to go along with character-specific tweaks. Only reason to play vanilla Alpha 2 is that it's still currently viewed as the "definitive" version in the US (for what it's worth in this day & age), as we never got the upgraded release in arcades.

Just get Alpha Anthology on PS2, then you get access to both and more :)

thanks for the breakdown. i'm mostly curious about the actual technical quality of the ports between the two, however: load times, animation, audio compression etc. i've tried the ps2 fighter's generation version and it's kind of ugly, i'd rather to play in proper low-res rgb. :p

thanks for the breakdown. i'm mostly curious about the actual technical quality of the ports between the two, however: load times, animation, audio compression etc. i've tried the ps2 fighter's generation version and it's kind of ugly, i'd rather to play in proper low-res rgb. :p

I also want to say dash has a remixed OST if that matters to you. Either way just get the SF collection as it comes with Super Turbo, and while the loading times are kind of annoying, it looks great in RGB

Alpha 2 is most certainly better balanced, and I understand why competitive gamers would gravitate towards it. For me, Alpha 3 is easily my favorite. There's way more characters, way more content, and way more variety. These things don't necessarily make it a better game, but I had way more fun with the game and that's all that matters to me.

Alpha 2 is most certainly better balanced, and I understand why competitive gamers would gravitate towards it. For me, Alpha 3 is easily my favorite. There's way more characters, way more content, and way more variety. These things don't necessarily make it a better game, but I had way more fun with the game and that's all that matters to me.
Well said

Tizoc

Just an FYI that Alpha 2 Gold isn't played as much as Alpha 2.
OG Alpha 2 is generally the main ver. of the game played at tournies etc.

Far as the best ver. of Alpha 2 goes, the OG Alpha 2 ver. is the best.

I'll admit I've neve played Alpha 2 but after picking it up during a recent sale I know what I'll be playing later today. I didn't release 2 & 3 were so different, I never played them back in the day so I just thought 3 was a slightly refined version of 2 that maybe fixed the mess I had always heard Gold 2 was.

yurinka

Capcom must learn from the SFA3 (console version) single player game modes: a lot of them and really fun, like the World Tour mode or the Survival and Time Attack ones.

I prefered the style from the SFA2 backgrounds, single player story endings, music and artstyle. It's the same style, but characters and stages added in the different SFA3 iterations felt a bit more cartoony.

Different gameplay variations in SFA3 such as the ISMs and substyles added an important layer of learning and strategy, which is fun. Something cool from SFA2 were the classic version of the characters.

Regarding new characters, SFA2 added Sakura, Evil Ryu and great new versions of Gen, Rolento, Dhalsim, Zengief and (this one from XMen vs Street Fighter) Cammy in the Gold version. Characters I loved and were perfectly adapted.

SFA3 added way more but I didn't like most of them, specially Mika and the Cody redesign. Loved Karin.

cireza

Zero 3 on Saturn. So good.

The game has many flaws but so much content, love it. Dramatic Battle too on Saturn.

Zero 3 on Saturn. So good.

The game has many flaws but so much content, love it. Dramatic Battle too on Saturn.

I think Zero 3 on the Saturn is meant to be the best port, - even including the DC version.

Mind you, I think the Saturn version is a bit pricey.

- - -

I missed out on an auction for a cheap CPS2 board of Zero, as I forgot the time. Not too bothered, but I have 2 & 3 on CPS2 already, so it would be nice to have the full set.

IzzyF3

I worked at a college arcade way back when and it had both games running, but no one played SFA3. SFA2 was probably the most played game there. Personally, though, I'm not a competitive play and loved the amount of choices in SFA3. So yeah, SFA3 for me.

cireza

I think Zero 3 on the Saturn is meant to be the best port, - even including the DC version.
It is definitely better than the DC version. Saturn graphic aspect is much better. And the controller of course.

And if I am not mistaken, Dreamcast does not have an "Arcade Dramatic" battle mode (where you fight random pairs of opponents).

Top Bottom