• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter II: Animated Movie Chun-Li vs Vega, best game to movie scene ever?

Something to keep in mind is the dub is kind of a mess... it has different lines in different scenes depending on which dub you watch (the US "Unrated" cut--used for the original Sony/Manga DVD--vs. the UK "Unrated" version, which was used for the Manga DVD rerelease). The UK Unrated had more harsh cursing, but the US Unrated one was more mild, and only a bit different from the PG-13 cut, dialogue-wise.

This BD (and DVD!) version uses the full, uncut, Japanese film footage with re-synced versions of both US Unrated and UK Unrated dub takes. And on top of it, the BD will have a track with the English dub lines paired with the Japanese BGM/effects track (an oft-requested feature). And we're shooting for even more extras than that. Stay tuned.

As for the release timing, Late Spring - Early Summer is the tentative time frame I last saw for the Blu-ray (but that's of course subject to change if it comes down to it). A bilingual DVD using the remastered video and the two Unrated dub cuts is already out though.

Never realized there was so many differences with the versions. I have the recent US Manga 2 sided release with the Restored Japanese master on one side (version I have still yet to watch). Will buy the Bluray Day 1 though.

EDIT: Also, while I'm generally in the crowd that prefers SNK over Capcom, yeah there's no beating that beautiful fight choreography in the SFII Movie even though I think story and character wise the FF OVAs are better. Thought FF TMP was just.. weird. Fun, but weird.

Skilletor

Yeah Alpha definitely borrowed a lot from this movie. Really strange how an animated movie of a game was so good that the games incorporated ideas of the movie back into the next game.

But definitely one of my old favourites, even with the US OST. I mean it had fucking Alice in Chains with Them Bones. But as for this scene, I don't know. I mean it had a lot of suspense and was awesomely done...But the Bison and Fei Long fights were epic too. As was pretty much all the rest of it.

Alpha has a poster of it in one of the stages:
SFA.png~original

Ok there's a scene where Guile (maybe Ryu) is going nuts trying to take Bison's head off with a flurry of punches and Bison is dodging them all and laughing.

Skimming through the movie on youtube, I can't find that scene or gif anywhere. I know I'm not crazy.

Alpha has a poster of it in one of the stages:

Good eye! I never noticed that. Then again, I mostly played Alpha 2+3 (I didn't have either a PlayStation or Saturn until they were quite old).

Ok there's a scene where Guile (maybe Ryu) is going nuts trying to take Bison's head off with a flurry of punches and Bison is dodging them all and laughing.

I can't find that scene or gif anywhere. I know I'm not crazy.

It exists, and it's Ryu. Afterward, Bison immediately grabs Ryu's face, lifts him up (cue a dramatic pause and lightning strike), and then slams his head onto the dirt.

EDIT:
Will it have re-translated subs? I've never seen it with subs that aren't just a transcript of the dub.

Sorry, I forgot to answer this. Yes, the subtitle script has been overhauled by a translator.

Skimming through the movie on youtube, I can't find that scene or gif anywhere. I know I'm not crazy.

your not... he finishes the flurry with a flash kick and a sonic boom to the hut

Village

Whats the qualification for this sort of thing, does it have to seem like something that would be in a game or what?

Yoooooooo. I forgot how dope this and other anime were back then. Wonder if Capcom can put that track in a future SF game.

I liked the anime was ryu,Ken and chun having an adventure very FFXV-ish with Ken just ballin cause he got that money. Will rewatch now damn you OP

Whats the qualification for this sort of thing, does it have to seem like something that would be in a game or what?

A lot of inspiration were taken from this movie and added to the alpha games it's definitely canon to an extent. Akuma appears for like a second in this movie lol

galvatron

Love that movie and that scene.

This movie was the first anime where I noticed how terrible the subbed version was with all the pandering alternative music instead of the amazing original soundtrack.

*goes to youtube to search for "cry", the song in the japanese version of the chun scene*

ZenTzen

Love that movie and that scene.

This movie was the first anime where I noticed how terrible the subbed version was with all the pandering alternative music instead of the amazing original soundtrack.

*goes to youtube to search for "cry", the song in the japanese version of the chun scene*

really?

for me, this is one of those rare cases where i actually prefer the OSt of the dub rather than the original

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

xmJIdg3.gif

Ronin

I forgot that this movie also has a S tier cliffhanger with
Bison about to run over Ryu with a 18 wheeler.
Then...

ARRRRRE YOUU REEEEEADDY!?!?

I also enjoy Fatal Fury the Motion Picture. It's pretty much an anime Indiana Jones movie.

Grisby

Re-watched this a few years ago and it holds up. Fight scenes are awesome and yeah, that vega/chun-li deal is fantastic.

Also that small smile Cammy gives before breaking a dude in half.

I enjoyed the Fatal Fury OVA's and Movie more. Better shower scene too >_> <_<.

tumblr_n90nh7aIDB1re6nxeo1_400.gif

I enjoy SFII aswell though, the start with Ryu and Sagat is really great.

Anyhow back to the debate fatal fury the motion picture had better voice acting (sulia!!!) better story line , mad qoutables and was a lot more cohesive which makes it the better movie...... Terry...... BOGARD!

I didn't want to admit it earlier in my post but yeah, I agree. Although I really liked the SF2 movie and the SF series is my favorite of all time I like Fatal Fury The Motion Picture more, mainly because of the plot. SF2 still holds the crown for best fight scenes for whatever that's worth. Oh and the ending song of the Fatal Fury movie is great as well. I especially love the guitar riff.

Garlador

New blu-Ray?! ... My money is reserved already.

That Chun-li vs Vega fight is my favorite animated fight ever. The moment she threw a F***ING COUCH into his face, I was in love.

The rest of the fights were great too. That animations and choreography still is unmatched.

"Ken, what do you see beyond your fist?"
"...My fate!"

And, yes, I VASTLY prefer the western OST.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM9PHoROXb8

R-User!

latest

I watched this movie many years ago when it was first released in North America on VHS. I was big into Street Fighter at the time, among other games. Having seen several game to movie adaptations over the years and being disappointed, I didn't have high hopes for this movie. But to my surprise it was excellent. It seemed to take what I played on my console and put it directly onto film. In fact, I think going forward a lot of Street Fighter game canon was directly inspired by this film. Street Fighter Alpha seemed to borrow heavily from it at least.

725180.jpg

FIGHT SCENE LINK
https://youtu.be/Bh8MG_Plw0U?t=3m40s

What really stood out though was the fight scene between Chun and Vega. In the games Vega was always so scary to fight as a kid. Jumping off walls and slashing you with his claw. That impression I had of Vega as a bad ass really amped up the tension in this fight. Not to mention the fact that at the beginning Chun's losing pretty bad. When she turns it around and finally takes Vega out in such a bad ass way, it's a real fist bump moment. The KMFDM song "Ultra" in the background underscores the intensity of this fight so well. This is probably the one instance in anime where I always choose to watch the English version over the Japanese.

Is there anyone out there on GAF who's never seen this fight before? I'd be surprised if there was.

I own the Blu-Ray, but never thought to try out the English version to see if any of the music from that dub would improve any scenes over the original Japanese audio, because I thought that most of the movie wasn't anywhere near as good without the badass Japanese VO actors doing their thing. Gonna pop in that scene just to see what you're talking about.

Edit lol:

I DONT own the Blu-Ray, but for some odd reason I thought I did; probably because I would LOVE for there to be one though.

But I did see that on December 2015, a new DVD release came out, and apparanty it's of a much better quality than the Red Sleeve DVD from 2006.

Nonetheless, this movie is tha shit!

Keylow415

"Uncensored"

So wait. Was a government entity involved with the original release of the movie?

dunno all i know was the fist one i bought was the pg13 version and later on the rated R version came out. and dame im old this movie came out in 1994 and bought it that year. lol

Top Bottom