• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter IV: 1up/EGM Info (3d graphics, 2d game)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Aeris130 said:
8b4lmp4.gif

Looks pretty good otherwise.

There's still time left before the release there's still time left before the release there's still time left before the release
This one is looking good to me.

It's also a case of
spot_3rdstrikemakoto3.gif
like the older one.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Jirotrom

Aeris130 said:
8b4lmp4.gif

Looks pretty good otherwise.

There's still time left before the release there's still time left before the release there's still time left before the release
its done like this on purpose so you can actually pick up on the animation when it happens in motion. It's an exaggeration, for that reason geez.

turk128

6ol7340.gif

EDIT: I think Ken's face just has two expression at this stage of development... the kinda plain look and that-- um, Rob Liefeld-ish look. And when did Ken become the homely one? I thought Ryu was supposed to be :\

EDIT: I take that back, Ken's face looks like Garry's Mod level of expression.

New screens look awesome, except the Scream face Ken. Looks like clothes deform and there's plenty of expression. Graphically I have no worries. Still fucking annoyed by the (possible) gameplay changes, the roster and the general lack of care.

ShinAmano

Honestly what I would love would be gameplay videos...but what i would settle for is a screenshot that shows the real camera angle...

Calcaneus

EGM said that the Chun-Li and Dhalsim that they saw in the build were nowhere near finished. That coupled with the fact that the game is only 2% done, its probably safe to say that the game will be much more polished by the time we see it. Even if it didn't, I like where the game is now, as far as Ryu and Ken's models go.

And I'm thinking its looking wonky because of the angle of the pics, it probably wouldn't look as wierd as you guys are saying with its 2d camera.

Jirotrom

Tenbatsu said:
Seriously, the art direction that SF4 is heading is really terrible, I dont know how many of you agrees with me....
I disagree, these are 1 frame stills, the animation is exaggerated so you can actually notice the emotions happening on screen. Tekken 5 did some of this but there wasn't enough exaggeration to make it very noticeable, especially if you weren't viewing it on an HDTV. When the game is in motion I bet anything the facial animations are going to be awesome.

Bad_Boy said:
i dont know about you guys, but looking at those screens just makes me want a next gen powerstone even more.
agreed.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
does look pretty good just i don't know had hopes it would be more like that trailer. first thing i thought when i saw the trailer was hmmmm SF meets Okami. how the gameply sounds being more offensive makes me think they are going for more of a marvel vs capcom feel than SF2.

Ranger X

I'm not interested in fighters but i just looked at the EGM and saw the pics...

WOW. Capcom am Gods (again). I love the art direction. It somehow keep the warm feeling of 2D graphics while looking good in 3D. I almost hope i was a fan of the series!

DaveH

Raging Spaniard said:
Some of those shots are in mid animation, with his face being in mid expression, that doesnt mean that he looks wrong!

I mean hell, look at these Makoto sprites, IF you had seen them before playing the game (or seeing videos), you would have thought she looked weird too

spot_3rdstrikemakoto2.gif

spot_3rdstrikemakoto3.gif
This is an absurd argument because every one of these screen shots is a bullshot from Capcom. There's no HUD, it's from the wrong perspective, etc. This is Capcom putting their best foot forward and it looks like this. I challenge you to show one preview screenshot Capcom released for III that used any such bizarre intermediate frames. These aren't accidental shots, but what Capcom actually deemed awesome enough to release to the press.

If that's what amounts to and accounts for taste, then no wonder there's mixed reaction to the art direction. EGM themselves only say that it "manages" to look like 3D street-fighter (as opposed to effusive praise for how this is 3D SF incarnate), they admit they aren't blown away, and a staffer who has played it say "It looks weird" (another 1UPer, "Why are they so fat?").

The art direction is serviceable but faaaar from as iconic as it should be. It gets bad when people try to make hybrid revisions of the past... this is smelling like Superman Returns already.

Zapages

twinturbo2 said:
Ryu Vs. Ken, Ryu Vs. Ken... Chun-Li is confirmed, why can't we see her?
8b4lmp4.gif

Because she is just bunch of polygons right now...

I don't expect this game to finish any time soon. Maybe 2009 to 2010 at the earliest...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Zapages said:

I don't expect this game to finish any time soon. Maybe 2009 to 2010 at the earliest...
I'm expecting a 2009 release myself, but 'cmon, some thunder thighs would be nice...

Jirotrom

DaveH said:
This is an absurd argument because every one of these screen shots is a bullshot from Capcom. There's no HUD, it's from the wrong perspective, etc. This is Capcom putting their best foot forward and it looks like this. I challenge you to show one preview screenshot Capcom released for III that used any such bizarre intermediate frames. These aren't accidental shots, but what Capcom actually deemed awesome enough to release to the press.

If that's what amounts to and accounts for taste, then no wonder there's mixed reaction to the art direction. EGM themselves only say that it "manages" to look like 3D street-fighter (as opposed to effusive praise for how this is 3D SF incarnate), they admit they aren't blown away, and a staffer who has played it say "It looks weird" (another 1UPer, "Why are they so fat?").

The art direction is serviceable but faaaar from as iconic as it should be. It gets bad when people try to make hybrid revisions of the past... this is smelling like Superman Returns already.
bookmarking this for crow eating later.

DaveH said:

How do you know that?

DaveH

Zapages said:

I disagree... the fact that they're even trying to generate hype based on "2%" of the game and that they had to lobby so hard for Capcom to allow them to even make the thing suggests that Corporate wants this out around '08 to correspond with the 20th Anniversary and the Chun-Li movie. Rush it and patch it if they have to. After III, Joe, Okami, God Hand, etc. Capcom really doesn't believe in labors of love anymore, only guaranteed money-makers. If the development cycle is *that* long, you're entering risk territory that Capcom Corporate is completely uncomfortable with at this stage in the game.

On the other hand, if it's not ready for '08 and the Chun-Li movie creates a huge resurgence of interest (unlikely, but who knows); strategic minds at Capcom might realize it's their opportunity to reinvigorate the franchise with an actually decent game; but as it currently stands, SF4 is totally a cash-in maneuver.

DaveH

CurseoftheGods said:
How do you know that?
Watch the 1UP show. Ryan's played it and says, "It looks weird...[but it's fun.]" Since we can only speak to the art direction and not the gameplay, we have it from two people that have actually seen it in motion. Shane, who says he wasn't blown away then apologizes for the art for two paragraphs, and Ryan who out and out says it's odd looking.

Jirotrom

Kintaro said:
Yes, you are blind. LOOK AGAIN
man... they mistitled it, I own both versions of Naruto games, that is the gamecube/wii version they even state they made a mistake.

BloodworthGT said:
Sorry there was a communication error on our end. We'll get it sorted out soon. (But seriously GNT EX2 just came out and Accel 2 is out in two weeks - way too many Naruto franchises.)

DaveH

Zapages said:

Another thing that points to a rushed game is that Ono keeps hedging on how many characters they'll be able to incorporate which highly suggests a fixed/rushed time-table. If this was a "when it's ready" labor of love timetable, then they have all the time in the world to put in as many characters as their hearts desire and as their visions allow.

Top Bottom