• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V being built on Unreal Engine 4

Ryu/Ken and Alex/Hugo were the best intros in 3S.

Yun-yang-intro.gif

Alex_hugo_intro.gif

There's a lot of good ones. Sean and Elena. Mirror matches too.

At Capcom Cup Ono said that a big focus was that all characters play completely different from each other so there will be less characters.

Ono has said this, but in what universe do they have the balls to cut Ken? Would be amazed if they did. I can see many others of the Original 16 not making it, though.

Still, I'll be happy if Cammy is in, and she has to be pretty up there on the list of 'safe' characters to return. The second most iconic lady after Chun and all that.

I reckon 20ish is probably the sweet spot. I can see them not wanting to be as far as 6+ characters behind MKX, but about 20 is about right for balance and all that.

A big question mark is also if there'll be an arcade release first, THEN PC/PS4 - that's what happened with SF4, and the console version then came with a good chunk added to the cast. Have they said anything about this? I assume it must be coming to arcades, as SF4 still does an ok business for them there... the question is, when? An arcade release is a good place to balance test and stuff.

Pompadour

Wouldn't hold my breath for the first round. I'm curious how characters like her work in this new version.

She's definitely one of the more popular III series characters. I feel like we will get a few favorites from Alpha and III and one or two characters from those series that didn't make it to SF4. I could see the III reps for the initial iteration of V being Ibuki, Dudley, and Alex.

cackhyena

She's definitely one of the more popular III series characters. I feel like we will get a few favorites from Alpha and III and one or two characters from those series that didn't make it to SF4. I could see the III reps for the initial iteration of V being Ibuki, Dudley, and Alex.

If they go that route, then yeah, I could see it. They didn't bother with those characters till Super in 4, though. Who knows. Even though I'd love all three of them, as I played all three in 3S, and Duds and Ibuki in 4, I'd still take the oddballs that haven't shown up since 3 before them. I really want Oro in another SF.

Ixion

Ono has said this, but in what universe do they have the balls to cut Ken?

They could still make Ken feel a quite a bit different. It looks like Ryu will be very strong, but somewhat slow. So similar to past Street Fighter games, they could make Ken the faster, but weaker counterpart. Ken will probably possess a fire stance, as opposed to Ryu's lightning stance, which may give him some very different benefits.

Not to mention Ono said they're introducing new moves of course.

I've anyways been a big fan of Twelve, but I don't have many who share my love since he is...you know...crazily underpowered. If I had to pick 5 to return, I'd say Urien, Oro, Alex, Guy, Makoto. I'd say Twelve and/or Hakan, but we will probably never see either of them again.

Those are my pics, from what we think we know of the system so far.

cackhyena

I've anyways been a big fan of Twelve, but I don't have many who share my love since he is...you know...crazily underpowered. If I had to pick 5 to return, I'd say Urien, Oro, Alex, Guy, Makoto. I'd say Twelve and/or Hakan, but we will probably never see either of them again.

Those are my pics, from what we think we know of the system so far.

I'd love it if Twelve came back. Nothing says they can't buff him for this new game. I'd take Alex as the main grappler and leave Gief out for this gen.

Sheroking

It is not street fighter without ryu/ken.

Don't think you'll ever see a Street Fighter game without Ryu, Ken and Akuma.

I'll be that guy and vote "no" on Oro and Twelve. They were misguided designs at the time, don't look or feel like Street Fighter characters, and I think they can stay out of it from now on.

ShinAmano

Don't think you'll ever see a Street Fighter game without Ryu, Ken and Akuma.

I'll be that guy and vote "no" on Oro and Twelve. They were misguided designs at the time, don't look or feel like Street Fighter characters, and I think they can stay out of it from now on.
Agree...I like the idea of Oro but can do without.

BadWolf

Yeah, their fighting styles weren't anything special either.

Pompadour

If they go that route, then yeah, I could see it. They didn't bother with those characters till Super in 4, though. Who knows. Even though I'd love all three of them, as I played all three in 3S, and Duds and Ibuki in 4, I'd still take the oddballs that haven't shown up since 3 before them. I really want Oro in another SF.

SFIV especially the initial iteration, felt really shackled by both the Street Fighter brand being dormant for so long and that the most popular series by far (II) heavily influenced both the game design and roster.

After IV I think Capcom is more comfortable embracing their other series and the advances they made in game design and character design. And now that the nostalgia itch for SFII has been scratched I figure fans don't need to see Fei Long, Dee Jay, or T. Hawk again. The big question is if characters like Blanka and E. Honda who aren't the most popular but definitely recognizable, "classic" characters will make it into V.

rubex75

Banned
I feel like they could have done more with Oro. Maybe given him a better story or background or something. Twelve is awesome and he's my 'insta-buy' character. Q is a must. He's way too mysterious to leave out. Need me some Q in SFV.

trutrutru

I know right? Looks the same.

It's not even close to being the same art style unless you think big muscles = same art style. See an eye doctor, bro.

no..its the same...they just have better shader work. So they can more clearly define the facial features. Its the same general art style. Looks like SF4.5 artistically

ShinAmano

I feel like they could have done more with Oro. Maybe given him a better story or background or something. Twelve is awesome and he's my 'insta-buy' character. Q is a must. He's way too mysterious to leave out. Need me some Q in SFV.
Q over Rog any day!

cackhyena

I am shocked you would say this!

no..its the same...they just have better shader work. So they can more clearly define the facial features. Its the same general art style. Looks like SF4.5 artistically

Get your eyes checked.

ElFly

At least post the gif so we can see it in all it's glory

6f9820abf406972b842cd1182e1897b0.gif

Maaan, this is the best stage in SF. Also it had a great remix of Sagat's theme. Back in the day, we would pick that stage for fights all the time, particularly for the last fight of a long set of matches.

Alpha 2 just had the best stages and music.

UrbanRats

I know right? Looks the same.

It's not even close to being the same art style unless you think big muscles = same art style. See an eye doctor, bro.

I wouldn't say it's super different in that sense.
I'd say the major difference beyond better lighting, more complex models, and better material shaders (in particular Chun Li's dress and her new shiny spikes) is in the backgrounds now looking more realistic and in the colors being less cartoony.
Also that weird outline in some of the SF4 seems to gone, as well as that "crosshatching" effect on Ryu's skin.

In terms of character proportions they're pretty close.
It's not as big of a jump to me as it was from SF Alpha to SF3, for example (though it's hard to compare, since SF3 also had the aging factor, compared to Alpha).

jett

D-Member
That Gamersyde video has stupid-good image quality. If only all devs released their footage in that quality, holy shitballs.

I think this game looks great, and it can only look better. And it's fantastic how different it seems to play from SF4. Forget all the new features, the flow in general just seems like another beast entirely.

vg260

I wouldn't say it's super different in that sense.
I'd say the major difference beyond better lighting, more complex models, and better material shaders (in particular Chun Li's dress and her new shiny spikes) is in the backgrounds now looking more realistic and in the colors being less cartoony.
Also that weird outline in some of the SF4 seems to gone, as well as that "crosshatching" effect on Ryu's skin.

In terms of character proportions they're pretty close.
It's not as big of a jump to me as it was from SF Alpha to SF3, for example (though it's hard to compare, since SF3 also had the aging factor, compared to Alpha).

They should tone down the character proportions. They're still a bit too beefy. Something closer to UMVC3 Ryu and Chun would be perfect.

trutrutru

personally i was hoping for something that looked like it was a mix of SF3 and SF alpha series. oh well. Will purchase regardless

Verendus

Banned
I'm looking forward to confirmation that Ken won't be on Unreal Engine 4, because I'm tired of this copycat, bird looking, Adolf Hitler loving, piece of monkey crap.

Capcom, please. Do the right thing.

I have a funny feeling the Shadaloo bosses won't be in this. Which makes me sad, since Claw has been my go-to ever since Championship Edition. Alpha and Alpha 2 were a rough patch for me, haha! After seeing Chun-Li in action, though, I could see myself gravitating towards her. Though we still have 14 more reveals to go.

trutrutru

Apparently it is.

Silly comments like yours make it easy to ignore people. Don't want to see the same stupid comments for the next few years.

and your not ignoring mine. So i guess you dont think my comments are silly....seems you yourself give my point of view validity

Top Bottom