• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V being built on Unreal Engine 4

Csr

Boo this man.

The stages being posted in this thread makes me weep about the stages we got in SF4.

yeah even though i liked sfiv's artstyle i didn't like the stages at all, the sfxt stages were even worse. Haven't heard many positive comments from other people either.

Biker19

Banned
Sony isn't making the game as far as we know. So not sure how that matters in this case. If Sony mandated no Arcade release then they willingly crippled their Japanese FGC.

It'll be a good thing to force Japanese gamers to buy a PS4 for games like this, though.

Yeah, the opening scene.

SFA1 has a poster of the animated movie on Guy's stage.

I've always loved how often SF pays homage to stuff from it's expanded media and beyond.

Cody having his infinite combo from Final Fight incorporated into his super combo in Alpha 3 was the best. The Alpha games were chock full of that, really.

At least post the gif so we can see it in all it's glory

6f9820abf406972b842cd1182e1897b0.gif

Best thing about the Alpha series right there.

tbm24

It'll be a good thing to force Japanese gamers to buy a PS4 for games like this, though.

Many of the player base they'd have in arcade will play something else instead of running out and buying a console to play at home alone online.

GrayDock

I hope they bring back from SFA/Z3 the special scenes before the fights, like the Ryu/Ken brofist or Guile/Charlie salute.
Those were the best in the genre...

Vice

but i thought LoL updates are all free? lol

Sort of, new characters will go into rotation sometimes but you have to pay to use them whenever you want. So new character X is free during December when he;s released but 5.99/a bunch of in-game money after that. At least that's how it was a year ago.

keuja

I think we need a new thread about fighting stages to showcase the SF, KOF, MK, Samurai etc stages in all their glory.

FLAguy954

I'm gonna have to eat some crow, I thought this game was seriously on the same engine as Street Fighter 4. Sure it looks better but the jump isn't that large.

Village

Your crazy it was realization of the intro to the SF movie were Sagat gets wrecked by Ryu. Playing alpha and getting to fight Sagat on that stage for the first time was epic.

That is just a storm, in a field.

That does nothing for me visually.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
but i thought LoL updates are all free? lol

Sort of, new characters will go into rotation sometimes but you have to pay to use them whenever you want. So new character X is free during December when he;s released but 5.99/a bunch of in-game money after that. At least that's how it was a year ago.
To note, everything that's not a character or new skin is free however.

For Street Fighter the biggest thing here is if someone buys the game at launch, plays for six months, suits for two years, and then comes back they're still in the same player base instead of having to buy a new copy of the game and get all of the updates except the new characters (but can still play against them) for free.

It unifies the player base for the entire life cycle of the product so it's not eternally dwindling with each release just by virtue of people not wanting to buy the newest version.

Renekton

Your crazy it was realization of the intro to the SF movie were Sagat gets wrecked by Ryu. Playing alpha and getting to fight Sagat on that stage for the first time was epic.
Not a big fan of that scene TBH, because it introduced the dark hado stuff.

fader

To note, everything that's not a character or new skin is free however.

For Street Fighter the biggest thing here is if someone buys the game at launch, plays for six months, suits for two years, and then comes back they're still in the same player base instead of having to buy a new copy of the game and get all of the updates except the new characters (but can still play against them) for free.

It unifies the player base for the entire life cycle of the product so it's not eternally dwindling with each release just by virtue of people not wanting to buy the newest version.

according to Ken (which is not confirmed but a rumour) Capcom is looking to go in that direction apparently annoyed with doing the Super Ultra versions. If this is true, how will it work out for them and how will they find a new source of revenue to replace what they were making from the updates is what i am still pondering.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
according to Ken (which is not confirmed but a rumour) Capcom is looking to go in that direction apparently annoyed with doing the Super Ultra versions. If this is true, how will it work out for them and how will they find a new source of revenue to replace what they were making from the updates is what i am still pondering.

Well, you'd still have to buy all the new characters and skins. The main difference is you could still play with people who have the newer characters without buying them.

fader

Well, you'd still have to buy all the new characters and skins. The main difference is you could still play with people who have the newer characters without buying them.

hopefully that can manage them. They seem to be doing well with skins lately after ultra's release or they wouldn't have made so many so far.

Laconic

Banned

It will be dead on arrival in Japan, if it does not get an arcade release.

Yes, even SFV.

Not a big fan of that scene TBH, because it introduced the dark hado stuff.

Wat.

Ryu straight Vanilla Ansatsuken wrecks Sagat's world, in the anime.

It took arguably the worst video game canon retcon ever, to ruin this.

wapplew

Capcom should make a free version with LoL type business model.
Asia market will welcome it. Fighting game will grow into much bigger thing.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
I'll make a legit noob-comment, but i must say that i always love to look at Street Fighters' character-animations because it actually looks like two people in a real fight.

This is probably blasphemy, but whatever...

No, Street Fighter animation is really a level beyond the games you've mentioned. I've been playing fighting games for 25 years and I agree with you.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I still don't understand why anyone thinks SFV being built on UE4 spells doom for Panta Rhei. Capcom has never allowed a partner studio to use MT Framework. (MT Framework Mobile seems to be a different story.)

If DiMPS is doing SFV -- which they almost certainly are -- it's perfectly reasonable that a different engine is being used.

Top Bottom