• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V has shipped 1,7 million, Dead Rising 4 still under 1 million

They shipped 1.4 million units at launch. That's a heck of a lot of money at full price, probably over $50 million directly for Capcom. They've made money on the game.

I know some of you cream yourselves over the idea that SFV is a complete fucking failure, but it just isn't.

I think the fact that SF5 is still here getting new content a year after the rockiest of launches is proof that SF5 isn't a failure.

They wouldn't be investing in all these new characters, stages, and costume DLC if they weren't getting anything out of it.

For a long term 'games as a service' model, initial sales aren't the end all be all, even if they're a big chunk.

Neoxon

I can't believe they released a street fighter without the main reoccurring characters day 1. The omissions still boggles my mind.
Half of the base roster were SFII characters, & we already have most of the popular SFII characters (soon to be almost all of them once Sagat drops).

Nephtes

SFV would have happened regardless by 2018 or so, Sony just sped up the process.

It sped up the process, but did it also reduce the initial features and quality?
Basically, if Sony hadn't come in with $$$, would SFV launch in 2018 in the same manner as SFV did in 2016, or would it have been a complete, polished product?

SFVs shipped/sales sounds kinda brutal for such a legendary series.

Yea makes me sad.

I feel like Tekken came out in a much better state. Dunno what is happening with CAPCOM but I don't like how SFV was delivered anyway.

Just to get all the Season 1 and 2 characters and the base game costed me like $70. Kind of ridiculous imo especially since I bought this stuff only recently.

Neoxon

It sped up the process, but did it also reduce the initial features and quality?
Basically, if Sony hadn't come in with $$$, would SFV launch in 2018 in the same manner as SFV did in 2016, or would it have been a complete, polished product?
I feel like SFV would have hit arcades first if Sony didn't step in, but that's just me.

Dahbomb

Street Fighter 5 - still 300K short of original 2 million goal.
Resident Evil 7 - still 300K short of original 4 million goal.
Dead Rising 4 - Still under a million, so over a million under its goal.
Monster Hunter XX - undersold 300K last quarter
Mobile - jack and shit has worked for them

Capcom can't win it seems.
Capcom's top 3 franchises uderperforming. Time to go all in on DMC5 then.

We're apparently getting an arcade version at some point, so there's that.

Considering the mode has yet to be announced and the game is already 18 months past initial release, it's not so apparent to me. I know what various assets have been found but until they actually say something, I'm not going to believe it.

JusDoIt

I think the fact that SF5 is still here getting new content a year after the rockiest of launches is proof that SF5 isn't a failure.

They wouldn't be investing in all these new characters, stages, and costume DLC if they weren't getting anything out of it.

For a long term 'games as a service' model, initial sales aren't the end all be all, even if they're a big chunk.

That DLC is making them bank. If only ten percent of that 1.7 million base bought the two season passes that's over $10 million bucks. Which is the equivalent of them selling 10 percent more copies of the game. That's not even getting into all the premium costumes and stages. That's just for the suckers who buy the season passes instead of using fight money (like me).

They're investing in these characters, stages, and costume DLC because they were part of an itinerary meant for a landmark, critically popular release and now they have to stay on path with what they have in development. They can't afford to just NOT do it.

Like did everyone actually SEE their financials. Their income is up from last year, but it's not by much.

yurinka

SSFV with all content from seasons 1 and 2 along with a proper arcade mode released at $40 is such an obvious thing to do. Capcom needs to swallow their pride and just do it.
According to that leak/rumor it's coming. Base game (plus the free update with new game modes) and the character season 1, 2 and 3 pass. I assume costumes, colors and stages would continue as unlockable/DLC.

I feel like SFV would have hit arcades first if Sony didn't step in, but that's just me.
According to Capcom SFV wouldn't have existed back then without Sony, that it would need to wait until at least 2018/2019.

The arcade port of SFV has been already announced btw.

kikiribu

I feel like Tekken came out in a much better state.
Tekken 7 doesn't even have trials or tutorials and feels like an outdated Tekken game upscaled to HD. They took no chances with that game. Most of the characters even share body models. Had it since day one and I'm more disappointed than impressed.

Somehow, someway, Capcom has managed to fuck up Street Fighter in the public eye. Not to say they can't bounce back, Sega managed to salvage Sonic after everything they did, but it's never a good sign when you've managed to heavily damage your most important and culturally significant IP.

lol, pretty sure SF3 and EX did more damage to the franchise than 5 did bub. Not saying capcom hasn't been mismanaging it's fighting game IP (SFxTekken, MvC3), but they could totally rewrite this with a new alpha game or something

According to that leak/rumor it's coming. Base game (plus the free update with new game modes) and the character season 1, 2 and 3 pass. I assume costumes, colors and stages would continue as unlockable/DLC.

Bloody hell, I'm going to have to triple dip if that's the only way to get the previous timed DLC costumes/stages.

Fuck

Sounds to me like their expectations are just too high.

Resident evil 7 should have had a goal of half the sales of RE6 , given the abysmal critical reception and the general fan reaction being that "it's junk" a 50% drop in performance should have been expected even IF RE7 was great (which it apparently is quite good). That means 3 million sold , so it'd be outperforming that goal by 700K - a big success !

Dead Rising 4 was probably pretty much paid for by MS , so even though it's a huge bomb I doubt it really affects capcom much.

As for SFV , well they released half a game and got half the sales. Slowly but surely things have been inching towards a finished game though, I sound like one broken record of many but SFV STILL doesn't have adequate single player content on par with basically every fighter currently available right now that isn't free 2 play. Rumor has it that the game will get a soft relaunch (like Destiny a taken king or FF14 ARR) when season 3 starts sometime next year. I don't doubt that the game is profitable either , the sheer amount of DLC has to be pulling in some decent cash but Capcom was expecting SF4 sales + fantastic DLC sales and well... they also wanted their own store to avoid paying any fees to sony or steam but that didn't pan out either.

Did you ever stop and think that releasing "it's junk" and "half a game" are the problems, not that Capcom was basing sales expectations on actually good games? A business model is not:
"Hey let's model our expectations on how many people will buy turd burgers. We'll be golden when our booger burgers beat that."​
The whole point is that Capcom is releasing crap games.

Garlador

While I appreciate their support, games like Evolve were considered failures too and received constant support for well over a year as well. Even Battleborn just got a new update this month.

Initial sales aren't the end all be all, but the lack of actual purchased sales since launch is more alarming. It's growing, but at a snail's pace that puts it well under their initial expectations for the first month, let alone the first year.

That don't mean SF DLC not making them loads of money .
They could be losing money on other stuff like mobile or have active stuff that eating up there money etc etc .
Active stuff? Like say, maintaining SFV's e-sports momentum even if the game barely has any new players from sales for the last year?

yurinka

SFV concept was built as game as service since the start. First sentences of Capcom management about it were even understood that they were going to make it a F2P

So probably not, or at least they planned to have a shit ton of DLC since the start.

kunonabi

Tekken 7 doesn't even have trials or tutorials and feels like an outdated Tekken game upscaled to HD. They took no chances with that game. Most of the characters even share body models. Had it since day one and I'm more disappointed than impressed.

yeah, we really shouldn't be holding Tekken 7 up as any sort standard bearer right now, especially not with Bowl Mode being DLC.

Neiteio

SFV
Launch: February 2016
Platforms: PS4, PC
Sales: 1.7 million

ARMS
Launch: June 2017
Platforms: Switch
Sales: 1.18 million
So happy to see ARMS selling nearly SFV numbers in just one month. New IP off to a strong start.

MrCarter

Jeez, what's everyone's problem with RE7? It's a great game.

Nevermind the fact RE7 had critically acclaimed success with 86% on metacritic we still need to whine why a company are not allegedly happy with their overbloated numbers.

The bandwagon hate for Capcom has become more of a played out meme at this point rather than something that should be taken seriously. They'll support a half-assed product from any other developer that does the exact same thing though.

I find some of the jibes funny here and there and some of the criticisms are very valid however when the dogpiling starts you can clearly see the agendas in full effect. Like you, I've come to the point where I don't really take it too seriously and treat it as a silly meme.

Those are really pathetic numbers, for both SFV and obviously DR4. Maybe Capcom should take the hint and stop with those exclusivity deals, it doesn't fucking work for them so far.

Glad someone got to the root cause on the first page without having to slag the XB1 or PS4.

And I wonder if there are any contractual obligations re: sales that need to be met for the titles to remain exclusive...

KingBroly

Banned

No, it's a failure. They have to keep with it or they'll kill the brand. They wanted a game like Evolve, it bit them in the ass. Now they're barely getting by with what they're releasing. There's no consistency of releasing stuff. It took them A YEAR to release content they showed off that looked done when they showed it off. A YEAR. And it was RETRO COSTUMES. Like, come on.

Head.spawn

SFV sold 1.4 million out the gate. It's been a trickle since then. Try again tho.

Lol. Why the snark?

It was 1.4 million after a month a half. And just to be sure, that is with TWO platforms (as opposed to ARM's being on one). If you took just the PlayStation 4 sales for SF V at the time, it was actually around 1.1 million as well at best (shipped?/sold?), when you take off Steam sales. It is directly comparable.

Not even taking into consideration that one is a brand new franchise and the other is WAAAAAY down in comparison to what the previous iteration sold, and it's even more worth pointing out when you compare the game sales versus the userbase size ratio of 4 million Switch's vs 40+ million PS4s.

It was a decent try from where I'm sitting.

Shadoken

Lol. Why the snark?

It was 1.4 million after a month a half. And just to be sure, that is with TWO platforms (as opposed to ARM's being on one). If you took just the PlayStation 4 sales, it was actually around 1.1 million as well, when you take off Steam sales. It is directly comparable.

Not even taking into consideration that one is a brand new franchise and the other is WAAAAAY down in comparison to what the previous iteration sold, and it's even more worth pointing out when you compare the userbase size of 4 million Switch's vs 40+ million PS4
s/

It was a decent try from where I'm sitting.

Steam sales isnt even 300k right now. Really doubt it was 300k at launch. Prolly close to 100-150k or something.

The userbase comparison is kinda pointless too, Remember when PS4 launched and it had its game drought? Any new game at that time would have sold a lot coz the initial 4-5m buyers are hungry for titles.

Just look at a game like USF2 , that game didnt even cross 1m on X360 and PS3. Yet its nearly 500k on the switch despite being 25$ more.

Top Bottom