• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V has shipped 1,7 million, Dead Rising 4 still under 1 million

Carl7

Street Fighter 5 - still 300K short of original 2 million goal.
Resident Evil 7 - still 300K short of original 4 million goal.
Dead Rising 4 - Still under a million, so over a million under its goal.
Monster Hunter XX - undersold 300K last quarter
Mobile - jack and shit has worked for them

Capcom can't win it seems.

I blame my backlog for Resident evil 7.

Hubb

I think people expecting/hoping/wishing capcom releases SSFV with all the content (stages/costumes) are dreaming a beautiful dream. Specially if you expect it to be under $60.

Best you are looking at is all characters included with possibly new heroes and new modes.

RM8

At the very least I hope SFVI is not console exclusive, it clearly doesn't benefit anyone. Tekken 7 doing so well should convince Capcom to not do this again.

What are you trying to do? Draw your own causal fallacy?

Read the reviews, there are an abundance of reasons that both fans and critics disliked DR4, more than previous instalments. If you actually look at metacritics user reviews the most common criticism is the lack of co-op, whereas the removal of the games timer frequently appears in positive reviews.

Quick word frequency review of the front page of metacritics user reviews:

• Co-op is mentioned a total of 11 times across 7 reviews. All 7 reviews site it as a reason for disliking the game.
  • The timer is mentioned 11 times, across 8 reviews. 4 reviewers talk about the timer positively, saying they prefer not being time pressured, 3 view it negatively, and 1 review is mixed.
Obviously that's just a surface level analysis, but at a glance it seems that the timer wasn't poorly received by fans, at least not compared to features like the lack of fully integrated co-op. The latter of which was also much more likely to have an influence on the sales of the games as players no longer purchase the game to play with friends, if the co-op isn't worthwhile.
The basic idea is that a lot of people such as yourself suggested that the general dumbing down of the game would automatically result in a wider audience, and therefore more sales. And yet, somehow, a dumbed down version of Dead Rising that stripped away just about anything remotely interesting about the franchise, ended up selling terribly. Hmm. Also, do you have a source to actually back up the idea that co-op is a huge sales driver for a game like Dead Rising?

Mooreberg

I wonder how quickly just the PS4 version of Tekken 7 will outsell SFV. Seriously one of the all time launch botch jobs. Dead Rising has to be finished at this point.

MrCarter

I think people expecting/hoping/wishing capcom releases SSFV with all the content (stages/costumes) are dreaming a beautiful dream. Specially if you expect it to be under $60.

Best you are looking at is all characters included with possibly new heroes and new modes.

I'm expecting the latter with possibly all stages and of course new casual modes. It's imperative that it's under $60 otherwise there really is no point.

fernoca

Just a correction on T7. We're not even sure what T7's sales are yet but what we do know is that it was the best selling game in June, Bamco was happy with the preorders and also that Tekken funds itself. Given it's arcade model, it doesn't have to sell as much as other fighters before they make a profit. That's something a lot of people don't get, profit matters more to companies at the end of the day.
Yeah, just teases and leaks. Tekken 7 did apparently around 500k in NA (some based it on it selling less than Crash's 400k+ on PS4, and assumed around 400k on PS4 and 100k on Xbox), 100k in Japan and some estimated around 250k on EU.

But arcades and DLC are an additional source of revenue, especially arcades were it has performed quite well. So Namco is more than happy.

MrCarter

Yeah, just teases and leaks. Tekken 7 did apparently around 500k in NA (some based it on it selling less than Crash's 400k+ on PS4, and assumed around 400k on PS4 and 100k on Xbox), 100k in Japan and some estimated around 250k on EU.

But arcades and DLC are an additional source of revenue, especially arcades were it has performed quite well. So Namco is more than happy.

With SFV, their DLC sells really well too judging by the panels meetings and if they release the game on Arcade this year in Japan (which was stupid not to do in the first place) I assume they will recoup costs there too.

Hubb

I'm expecting the latter with possibly all stages and of course new casual modes. It's imperative that it's under $60 otherwise there really is no point.

It is possible they add the stages, but I kind of doubt they will. Unless they get rid of FM (which they won't), everything they do has to take into account FM and how it'll affect them down the road. If they rerelease the game, include all characters currently released + possibly new ones, that is a lot of FM for someone to earn. Probably enough for a casual player to get 2 seasons worth of characters or close to it.

If that is the case they either need to create new FM sinks (stages/colors/ui stuff/icon) or, they don't include the current stages and use them as a FM sink and call it a way to "unlock" content by playing. And given how surprised I am about how slow they've been with releasing costumes, I kind of doubt they'll be creating a ton of new FM sinks.

Toni

Shipped in an incomplete state with standard features from other VS fighting games missing, single console format and no arcade release. I'd be confident a relaunch or GOTY edition will give it a reasonable sales boost now.

This is isn't really a problem, like, at all.

Horizon came out selling 4 million easily for a new ip + with a female lead + on 1 platform. Street Fighter as an established series, would have come out swinging and wining had it been more complete, better at its message, and more fierce with the launch hype + marketing.

Capcom handled everything poorly. And being exclusive wasn't a part of the problem.

Blueblur1

It is possible they add the stages, but I kind of doubt they will. Unless they get rid of FM (which they won't), everything they do has to take into account FM and how it'll affect them down the road. If they rerelease the game, include all characters currently released + possibly new ones, that is a lot of FM for someone to earn. Probably enough for a casual player to get 2 seasons worth of characters or close to it.

If that is the case they either need to create new FM sinks (stages/colors/ui stuff/icon) or, they don't include the current stages and use them as a FM sink and call it a way to "unlock" content by playing. And given how surprised I am about how slow they've been with releasing costumes, I kind of doubt they'll be creating a ton of new FM sinks.

Yeah, I doubt the new stages will be included as unlocked. (Of course it would be on the disc if there is a disc.) I could see them allowing the new stages to appear in new and old single player modes (Survival and if they exist, Arcade and Extra Battle). But Capcom would probably still require players to use Fight Money to unlock them for online play and local versus play.

It is pretty bad indeed

Which is why people thinking the low sales are due to xbox exclusivity are wrong. It will sell like crap on PS4 as well. There's no reason to buy this even if you're a DR fan

Rise of the TR is a good game, it's irrelevant that it hit Xbox first. It's a good game. By most accounts, Dead Rising 4 is not.

Agreed, I bought it cheap from Best Buy....played it once, the game is boring and doesn't have the charm anywhere close to the originals. Didn't have the best reviews, which sure didn't help it.

At this rate sfv will probably not make the 2 mil sales goal for another 2 years or so. RE7 will make up the 300k eventually I think in less than a year time with sales and such. SFV was catered for esports by an out of touch company. Who has no idea what their audience want. MvC:I is shaping up to be another disaster imo. Maybe Capcom can release SSFV and bounce back.

cordy

Banned

Yep Bamco's loving that Tekken revenue.
Maybe Capcom can release SSFV and bounce back.

SSFV needs to be a straight 3rd Strike-like makeover. New presentation, new music, new looks for stages, just new as a whole. It's got that SFV stink on it. Been saying this since the game was released.

Kaji AF16

I hope the MS money was enough for Capcom. There is an audience on PlayStation waiting for the Dead Rising series to come over again.

And I hope the Sony money was also enough for Capcom. There is an audience on Xbox waiting for the Street Fighter series
(which is, even after this disaster, much more relevant than Dead Rising)
to come over again.

jett

D-Member
They've spent millions in marketing propping it up as the pinnacle of fighting e-Sports along with using dlc profits to help fund pots. I don't think this helped them make much money at all no matter how cheap you think the budget was.

They shipped 1.4 million units at launch. That's a heck of a lot of money at full price, probably over $50 million directly for Capcom. They've made money on the game.

I know some of you cream yourselves over the idea that SFV is a complete fucking failure, but it just isn't.

Blueblur1

SSFV needs to be a straight 3rd Strike-like makeover. New presentation, new music, new looks for stages, just new as a whole. It's got that SFV stink on it. Been saying this since the game was released.

I think they would redo the main menu UI, character select screen music, and possibly refresh the HUD.

In regards to stages, *maybe* they'll update the launch stages to some degree. But don't expect any stages to be completely dropped like 3S did or for there to be sweeping changes to stages as they're being pumped out regularly and are part of Fight Money Shop ecosystem.

MrCarter

The recent update was really good and seems to be heading in the right direction. New character, 3 new stages, great music (better than Tekken 7 soundtrack for sure) and nostalgia costumes. The problem is the main UI/UX and casual modes at the moment. SFV as a whole came a long way since release of course and still remains the most popular at tournies and big FG events.

Neoxon

Keep in mind that SSFV still has to be a free update for existing SFV owners, so scrapping all of the existing music & redoing all of the current stages would be overkill (especially when we're still getting new content). Capcom can't split the player base as per their initial promise.

The basic idea is that a lot of people such as yourself suggested that the general dumbing down of the game would automatically result in a wider audience, and therefore more sales. And yet, somehow, a dumbed down version of Dead Rising that stripped away just about anything remotely interesting about the franchise, ended up selling terribly. Hmm. Also, do you have a source to actually back up the idea that co-op is a huge sales driver for a game like Dead Rising?

I didn't say that. If you're going to regurgitate a several month old post, at least make sure you read what your quoting.

I said that I was surprised that they didn't cut the feature out sooner, so as to appeal to a wider audience. That does not equate to meaning that I believed that was the impact removing the feature would have, at this stage. I also noted, in the post that you quoted when putting forward your ill-conceived causal fallacy, that I felt hat sometimes making these changes late in a series existence 'risks stripping the game of its identity' - I did not suggests that I wasn't aware of the caveats.

As for your co-op remark, are you serious? Your entire comment is based on the suggestion that the removal of the timed mechanics harmed the games sales, and you're asking me for proof that co-op is a value-add for consumers? Do you honestly believe that consumers don't see value in co-operative features? What source do you have that consumers like being placed under timed pressure?

Consumer criticism absolutely affects sales and whatever the source of that criticism is, be it co-op, timed features, etc, is likely have a contribution to the games commercial performance. Supporting that, games with lower critical and consumer aggregate scores, tend to have lower commercial performance. It's not an illogical series of events to follow, consumers dislike game for x, consumers don't buy game - however at the same time, I did not suggest that any individual feature, or the removal of, would propagate a game to enhanced commercial success. In Dead Rising's case it's not necessarily the fact that co-operative games perform better commercially, but the simple fact that this appears to be what players missed when it was gone, sparking more criticism of the game (alongside a myriad of other factors) that likely impacted its commercial performance.

They shipped 1.4 million units at launch. That's a heck of a lot of money at full price, probably over $50 million directly for Capcom. They've made money on the game.

I know some of you cream yourselves over the idea that SFV is a complete fucking failure, but it just isn't.
Given the brand name 1.4 mil is dreadful. When games like NRS products, Tekken7, smash are selling millions. Capcom is out of touch and aside from RE7 they haven't made anything that sold well in quite some time I think. MvC:I is seems to be on its way in becoming another huge failure for Capcom. I hope Capcom can bounce back. If I was CEO of Capcom I would take a hard look at the FG division as they churn out financial failures year and after year ever since Sfxtekken and continue losing customers. As a Capcom fan it's terrible for me to see this great company is how out of touch with it's audience.

They should have bet on Deep Down and/or Dragon's Dogma.

Instead we get half-baked SFV, "dead"-Dead Rising and an RE7 that's really just an RE game in name only.

Capcom's failures this gen. are a function of their poor investment decisions.

MrCarter

It's not Namco, SNK or ASW so of course it's horrible. If they had got these numbers there would have been a national holiday. I'm not denying there are problems (as much as my avatar states otherwise) but people forget it's hasn't even been out for 2 years yet and Capcom have fully stated SFV is a service based product with years of support left.

Neoxon

They should have bet on Deep Down and/or Dragon's Dogma.

Instead we get half-baked SFV, "dead"-Dead Rising and an RE7 that's really just an RE game in name only.

Capcom's failures this gen. are a function of their poor investment decisions.
Jeez, what's everyone's problem with RE7? It's a great game.

LUXURY

I hope the MS money was enough for Capcom. There is an audience on PlayStation waiting for the Dead Rising series to come over again.

They shouldn't be waiting for 4. That game was wildly disappointing. I was mind boggled by the choices they made when developing the game. I wish I had paid more attention but I tried to avoid all spoilers. They took out one of the best experiences in the game, co-op and replaced it with uninspired mission type rounds. It was my most disappointing gaming moment on that year.

Pilgrimzero

Dead Rising 2 is the best one. Has the cheese factor while still being somewhat difficult.

Unfortunately Capcom decided to max out the cheese and make the game dirt easy to appease the masses and look what happened.

See also: Saints Row series, though at least those are funny enough to keep playing.

I didn't say that.If you're going to regurgitate a several month old post, at least make sure you read what your quoting.

I said that I was surprised that they didn't cut the feature out sooner, so as to appeal to a wider audience. That does not equate to meaning that I believed that was the impact removing the feature would have. I also noted, in the post that you quoted when putting forward your ill-conceived causal fallacy, that I felt hat sometimes making these changes late in a series' existence risks stripping the game of its identity - I did not suggests that I wasn't aware of the caveats.

As for your co-op remark, are you serious? Your entire comment is based on the suggestion that the removal of the timed mechanics harmed the games sales, and you're asking me for proof that co-op is a value-add for consumers? Do you honestly believe that consumers don't see value in co-operative features? What source do you have that consumers like being placed under timed pressure?

Consumer criticism absolutely affects sales and whatever the source of that criticism is, be it co-op, timed features, etc, is likely have a contribution to the games commercial performance. Supporting that, games with lower critical and consumer aggregate scores, tend to have lower commercial performance. It's not an illogical series of events to follow, consumers dislike game for x, consumers don't buy game - however at the same time, I did not suggest that any individual feature, or the removal of, would propagate a game to enhanced commercial success. In Dead Rising's case it's not necessarily the fact that co-operative games perform better commercially, but the simple fact that this appears to be what players missed when it was gone sparking more criticism of the game (alongside a myriad of other factors) that likely impacted its commercial performance.
Your post certainly heavily inferred that dumbing the game down was done to expand the audience. Jeez, it'd help if you could read your own posts.

My post was primarily about the general dumbing down of the game. But nice of you to just latch onto the basic premise of "timers".

Blueblur1

I imagine the early backlash stuck with it to some degree. I've noticed here on GAF that some people don't stay up-to-date with game marketing cycles (which is probably more of a positive than a negative) so there are surely folks who wrote it off early on.

And it also might have not appealed to non-hardcore folks once it hit retail stores.

Dead Rising 2 is the best one. Has the cheese factor while still being somewhat difficult.

Unfortunately Capcom decided to max out the cheese and make the game dirt easy to appease the masses and look what happened.

See also: Saints Row series, though at least those are funny enough to keep playing.
I couldn't be happier about that result. It should prove to Capcom leadership that increasing 'accessibility' does not equal increased sales (or even the same amount of sales). Also, thank you crowbcat.

kunonabi

I'd be happy with just the story costumes,colors and characters. The story costumes always should have just been regular unlocks to begin with.

A lot of people started with the 4-6 trilogy. RE7 not having a Mercenaries equivalent really hurt it. Not sure how they could pull that off, and maybe they still could with later updates, but no co-op really hurt it. (I feel them, Dead Rising 2 is my favorite one in the series)

You even have people defending RE6's TERRIBLE campaign because playing something with a friend can make you tolerate bad things. The gameplay system is fine if you can play long enough to get deep into it, Mercenaries is a good time, but holy shit that story is garbage.

Head.spawn

You could say the same for SF V and Sony's money in Capcoms pocket. Their joint decisions have lead a good game to be essentially stalled in sales. That game could easily sell another million or more on Xbox One, the lack of an arcade release was also similarly stupid.

Dead Rising 4 should be happy for every sale that game got, it likely got more because it was exclusive, along with all the bundles, etc etc. Sold like dogshit on Steam and those user reviews are very telling. It would fall flat on its face on PS4 as well.

Neoxon

You could say the same for SF V and Sony's money in Capcoms pocket. Their joint decisions have lead a good game to be essentially stalled. That game could easily sell another million or more on Xbox One, the lack of an arcade release was also similarly stupid.

Dead Rising 4 should be happy for every sale that game got, it likely got more because it was exclusive. Sold like dogshit on Steam and those user reviews are very telling. It would fall flat on its face on PS4 as well.
We're apparently getting an arcade version at some point, so there's that.

pretty much this. I'm a fan of the series (well, to be exact, I'm a huge fan of DEAD RISING). 2 had such mixed reviews that I never spent much time with it (I own it) and 3, 4 I don't have the oppourtunity to play.

kikiribu

The bandwagon hate for Capcom has become more of a played out meme at this point rather than something that should be taken seriously. They'll support a half-assed product from any other developer that does the exact same thing though.

Pachinko

Sounds to me like their expectations are just too high.

Resident evil 7 should have had a goal of half the sales of RE6 , given the abysmal critical reception and the general fan reaction being that "it's junk" a 50% drop in performance should have been expected even IF RE7 was great (which it apparently is quite good). That means 3 million sold , so it'd be outperforming that goal by 700K - a big success !

Dead Rising 4 was probably pretty much paid for by MS , so even though it's a huge bomb I doubt it really affects capcom much.

As for SFV , well they released half a game and got half the sales. Slowly but surely things have been inching towards a finished game though, I sound like one broken record of many but SFV STILL doesn't have adequate single player content on par with basically every fighter currently available right now that isn't free 2 play. Rumor has it that the game will get a soft relaunch (like Destiny a taken king or FF14 ARR) when season 3 starts sometime next year. I don't doubt that the game is profitable either , the sheer amount of DLC has to be pulling in some decent cash but Capcom was expecting SF4 sales + fantastic DLC sales and well... they also wanted their own store to avoid paying any fees to sony or steam but that didn't pan out either.

AAAA budgets are always going to be a huge risk for any developer/ publisher and right now I don't think they should even exist unless they are "service" games like destiny or the forthcoming Anthem. The Japanese scene needs to reign in development budgets enough that projects can break even at 1.5 million sold tops (for single platform releases) and 2 million for say PS4+ steam. Even if a new game is due out on XB1/PS4/Steam it needs to break even (including marketing) at 3 million tops. To spend any more is a waste and just setup for financial ruin. This does get tricky obviously, at 3 million sales you can have roughly 70 million spent developing a game max (including all porting costs) and that leaves 35 million to spend promoting the game. As we can see above though.. even hitting that goal is pretty lofty.

So in Capcoms case I'd lower budgets to account for just 2 million sales , so you can spend 50 million on the game itself as an absolute ceiling and then you have perhaps 20 million to spend on marketing. That's about as safe as you can make it. Obviously a game like this would then need to rely upon DLC or expansions to actually be profitable but that's just the state of games today.

Neonep

If they didn't have ridiculous expectations and didn't half ass their games then they wouldn't be here. I expect MVC:I to be on this list too in the future.

yurinka

At the very least I hope SFVI is not console exclusive, it clearly doesn't benefit anyone. Tekken 7 doing so well should convince Capcom to not do this again.
Back then Capcom didn't have money to make SFV. It was made thanks to Sony's money.

On my first ranked battle with Abigail, just a few hours after he was released, he was ranked 500K-600K. So more than half a million people got him before me. Can't remember it but I'd say it was more or less the same with Ed.

Considering that according to the game trophies most people never play online, and even less play ranked battles, this means a lot of people should be buying DLC or the season passes.

Maybe they didn't sell a lot of copies, but I'm pretty sure they are getting a lot of money from SFV DLC.

They've made money on the game.

But was I arguing that though? I was arguing that it's not making them SUBSTANTIAL amounts of money when all is said and done, because the development of SFV is never done. Its development involves not only the actual game content, but advertising the content, promoting tournaments, making their own tournaments, etc. And if it's only propped up by the PROBABLY LESS THAN A MILLION active players that buy DLC and not by actual sales to expand the player base, they ain't making the dough.

Top Bottom