• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V has shipped 1,7 million, Dead Rising 4 still under 1 million

Your post certainly heavily inferred that dumbing the game down was done to expand the audience. Jeez, it'd help if you could read your own posts.

My post was primarily about the general dumbing down of the game. But nice of you to just latch onto the basic premise of "timers".

That was your assumption, based on your own misunderstanding. Go back, read it again, break it down until you understand. I didn't say that removing the timers or dumbing down the game would earn them sales at this stage in the franchises life-cycle, I did however express surprise that that feature made it into the game at all.

In the end, it was you chose to draw up a post from a 8 month old thread, into an argument here that was unrelated. You suggested that in some way, my comment about not being surprised that they removed the timer, was linked to the poor performance of Dead Rising 4, as if the news of its poor performance refuted the notion that its removal was a good idea, yet your inference is baseless.

I don't care what your post was 'generally about' you quoted my post, from several months ago, highlighted the comment which explicitly regarded the removal of the timers and pulled it out of context. The straw man you choose to create in order to dig yourself out of your own misunderstandings is none of my concern.

I think if we're realistic, much of the poor performance of Dead Rising 4 comes down to the poor performance of the XBOX ONE. Exclusivity for that platform does not make sense unless the platform holder has explicitly paid to develop your game and in which case, that investment helps you offset reduced returns from sales of the actual product.

cordy

Banned
I think they would redo the main menu UI, character select screen music, and possibly refresh the HUD.

In regards to stages, *maybe* they'll update the launch stages to some degree. But don't expect any stages to be completely dropped like 3S did or for there to be sweeping changes to stages as they're being pumped out regularly and are part of Fight Money Shop ecosystem.

All they'd really have to do is give the stages new music, a slightly altered look (set during a different time of day or a season, they've done it before) or just something to spice the stages up and they'll be fine on the stage part. Having Kanzuki Estate take place during sunrise with dew everywhere is a good example.

Keep in mind that SSFV still has to be a free update for existing SFV owners, so scrapping all of the existing music & redoing all of the current stages would be overkill (especially when we're still getting new content). Capcom can't split the player base as per their initial promise.

They've already split the current playerbase with their practices so they're fucked either way.

And not like they'll have to scrap it completely rather than altering things a bit.

Head.spawn

Steam sales isnt even 300k right now. Really doubt it was 300k at launch. Prolly close to 100-150k or something.

The userbase comparison is kinda pointless too, Remember when PS4 launched and it had its game drought? Any new game at that time would have sold a lot coz the initial 4-5m buyers are hungry for titles.

What about established franchise versus veteran on the decline? I'm just saying, one looks a hell of a lot more of a shinier situation in comparison.

Anyways, the 1.4 million number was counting sales + shipped amount IIRC, so sold and unsold retail console games and Steam stats. Even the new numbers are counting shipped amounts, are we sure how much the game has actually sold-thru in retail?

The Arms numbers are sold-thru. That is 70% of their shipped amount in the hands of consumers. I'm not even sure if it includes digital sales (which to be fair are probably a little low).

MrCarter

All they'd really have to do is give the stages new music, a slightly altered look (set during a different time of day or a season, they've done it before) or just something to spice the stages up and they'll be fine on the stage part. Having Kanzuki Estate take place during sunrise with dew everywhere is a good example.

They've already split the current database with their practices so they're fucked either way.

And not like they'll have to scrap it completely rather than altering things a bit.

You're not making any sense as usual. Why would they scrap the material they worked on? The stage and character themes are some of the best they've been in a SF game and we do have variations of stages in the game - the very stage you mentioned, Kanzuki Estage, has day and night variations.

thelastword

Banned
So out of these two console exclusives, SFV was exceedingly more lucrative for capcom, and it seems their DLC's and season passes are bringing in quite the revenue apart from base game sales.....Seems like they have a winner in SFV, especially with it's espn showing and the esport nomination it just got...

It's doing something right at least...Dead Rising on the other hand...I'm not sure where the direction of that series went since part 3 tbh...

RM8

Back then Capcom didn't have money to make SFV. It was made thanks to Sony's money.
Back then, indeed - they said SFV would have been a thing, just at a later time. Maybe this year, without platform restrictions, without having to be rushed. It was a bad decision, really. Again, they can't look at Tekken 7 and think to themselves "yes, we did well".

Back then, indeed - they said SFV would have been a thing, just at a later time. Maybe this year, without platform restrictions, without having to be rushed. It was a bad decision, really. Again, they can't look at Tekken 7 and think to themselves "yes, we did well".

Tekken 7 really did prioritize the arcades over the consoles. It took like 2 years give or take a few months from arcade to console, which is quite strange since they were running the Tekken World Tour way before the asian territories can consistently practice it except at select locations. You would think the arcade profits (Tekken makes a lot of money at the arcades being one of the more popular games) would lead to a feature packed game, but I think a lot of us were surprised that it basically just is story mode, some single battle endings, and treasure battle for single player options. The game also had some hiccups, but they do seem to be actively trying to work and fix things. Generally, I think the two games aren't too far off with how the two companies are going at it, except Tekken Team has much more goodwill than Capcom, so any missteps don't spread as wildfire like the bad word of mouth SF5 has been getting. And I say this as someone who likes Tekken 7 more than SF5.

I do think BB, GG, and Injustice 2 feel more like complete releases if you wanted to get bang for your buck. But for someone like me, I do think just playing Tekken 7 does feel the most fun, so I think in the end people should play what they like. Which honestly I don't understand how a lot of people in general keep being a broken record about games they hate to keep playing, we basically are in the another fighting game renaissance with the amount of releases coming out.

c0de

Back then Capcom didn't have money to make SFV. It was made thanks to Sony's money.

I'm still curious about the details of this deal. I mean, look at what gamers got in the end. How much did Sony pay? And how did they let Capcom release the game in this state, although they had to give Capcom money to even make the game.

Asd202

I'm still curious about the details of this deal. I mean, look at what gamers got in the end. How much did Sony pay? And how did they let Capcom release the game in this state, although they had to give Capcom money to even make the game.

My guess is most of Sony money went into marketing and Pro Tour rather then game development. I could be wrong though.

RM8

I know pretty much everyone would disagree - but I wouldn't have minded a more low-budget-looking SFV. Look at KOFXIV, it's a fantastic game with a huge roster, and SNK pulled it off with peanuts. People do whine about KOFXIV's graphics but honestly that's mostly because many of the models look off, and not because of a lack of geometry, fancy effects, etc.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Dead Rising needs to be put on ice for a while. Zombie games are a dime a dozen, and the big draw of killing hordes of zombies in boxer briefs with a barbed wire chainsaw frying pan attached is so played out.

Let's give other franchises a shot like Dino Crisis, Maximo, and Onimusha.

Capcom only have themselves to blame for both of these games, so
Jf3g9I1.gif

Neoxon

They've already split the current database with their practices so they're fucked either way.

But deliberately going back on their word & forcing people to buy a paid upgrade would create more problems than it would solve, especially when the necessary stuff (Arcade Mode, balance change, etc.) can easily be done via a firmware update. That's not to say that they shouldn't also offer a physical option with S1 & S2's characters available on the disc, but rather that they shouldn't force existing owners to pay in order to get the other changes that should be free.

Reset

Lol... didn't they expect SFV to hit two million by a month and half. No surprise, Capcom deserves these terrible sales since they refuse to listen to the fans. It's been over a year and they still haven't fixed one of the biggest problems with the game.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Something really off with dead rising 4, I'm a big fan but can't stand it. Went back to playing dead rising 3

Agent X

As for SFV , well they released half a game and got half the sales. Slowly but surely things have been inching towards a finished game though, I sound like one broken record of many but SFV STILL doesn't have adequate single player content on par with basically every fighter currently available right now that isn't free 2 play.

I agree. The lack of single-player content has held back the game's potential for greater success. The situation has been steadily improving, so I hope that it will get to that level soon.

I can't believe they released a street fighter without the main reoccurring characters day 1. The omissions still boggles my mind.

Many of the most popular Street Fighter characters were included in the initial release, and a few more fan favorites were added since then.

Jrs3000

I think if we're realistic, much of the poor performance of Dead Rising 4 comes down to the poor performance of the XBOX ONE. Exclusivity for that platform does not make sense unless the platform holder has explicitly paid to develop your game and in which case, that investment helps you offset reduced returns from sales of the actual product.

This is factually wrong. Dead rising 3 also an Xbox one exclusive did better than 4. In march 2014 it was reported at 1.3 million by capcom while this hasn't even broke a million on a much bigger install base. It's a poor game through and through. The performance of Xbox isn't attributing to the way it's selling no more than ps4 is to street fighter V. Capcom dropped the ball with this title, they've stripped much of what makes dead rising so great out of it.

cordy

Banned
But deliberately going back on their word & forcing people to buy a paid upgrade would create more problems than it would solve, especially when the necessary stuff (Arcade Mode, balance change, etc.) can easily be done via a firmware update. That's not to say that they shouldn't also offer a physical option with S1 & S2's characters available on the disc, but rather that they shouldn't force existing owners to pay in order to get the other changes that should be free.
I said nothing about forcing, I just said that it needs to be done and they need to get the stink of SFV off it. At this point it's less about "their word" and more about a great product. They need to find a way to get stink off of this game as quick as possible and if not then regardless what they do it won't help. It's had a good amount of changes since release but that hasn't helped it out much. Same will apply whenever Arcade Mode, Sagat and Sakura release.

The reality is that unless they find a way to stop this game from smelling it'll stay in the same position. No matter how fun people who currently play it say it is and how great that has not changed others' opinions.

I agree. The lack of single-player content has held back the game's potential for greater success. The situation has been steadily improving, so I hope that it will get to that level soon.

Many of the most popular Street Fighter characters were included in the initial release, and a few more fan favorites were added since then.
They should have been added day one that's the issue. Word of mouth is at its highest week one not week 52.street fighter is a major series with a huge fanbase; Capcom should have released the game with a full fledged roster. Add random new characters via updates not fan favorites. Same with story mode, game was just released half finished and got half sales

Keinning

This is factually wrong. Dead rising 3 also an Xbox one exclusive did better than 4. In march 2014 it was reported at 1.3 million by capcom while this hasn't even broke a million on a much bigger install base. It's a poor game through and through. The performance of Xbox isn't attributing to the way it's selling no more than ps4 is to street fighter V. Capcom dropped the ball with this title, they've stripped much of what makes dead rising so great out of it.

Don't waste your breath
Then DR4 will hit PS4 eventually and sell like crap anyway and people will say it was just because it released late/capcom never built an userbase for it on PS4, and not because the game is utter crap and didn't deserved even this laughable number of sales it got

MrCarter

I said nothing about forcing, I just said that it needs to be done and they need to get the stink of SFV off it. At this point it's less about "their word" and more about a great product. They need to find a way to get stink off of this game as quick as possible and if not then regardless what they do it won't help. It's had a good amount of changes since release but that hasn't helped it out much. Same will apply whenever Arcade Mode, Sagat and Sakura release.

The reality is that unless they find a way to stop this game from smelling it'll stay in the same position. No matter how fun people who currently play it say it is and how great that has not changed others' opinions.

The only "stink" it has right now is not being catered to the casuals, similar to how T7 was with no trials or demonstrations and an awful "Arcade" mode. The reality is they need to repackage the game at retail and update the current game for free (hence keeping "their "word") for existing users to improve the direction of the game.

The only "stink" it has right now is not being catered to the casuals, similar to how T7 was with no trials or demonstrations and an awful "Arcade" mode. The reality is they need to repackage the game at retail and update the current game for free (hence keeping "their "word") for existing users to improve the direction of the game.

I really do think the lack of trials and demonstrations hurts Tekken 7 from the a new, casual player's perspective. I've been helping a friend learn the game, and he says he feels lost because of things like wakeup (your options when you hit tech off the ground versus when you are lying there), teching grabs (a lot of people are free to 1+2 grabs if they are new, otherwise they probably mashing punches), and doing combos (like a lot of stuff isn't a natural combo and a new person would need to look up how to set it up properly in training mode to find out). It's funny that I basically tell new people to check out Aris' channel at Avoidingthepuddle to actually learn the game.

Top Bottom