• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V has shipped 1,7 million, Dead Rising 4 still under 1 million

I'm sure SFV is doing decent with dlc and honestly I'm sure they've made money on the game seeing how cheap it is outside of some things like animations.

They've spent millions in marketing propping it up as the pinnacle of fighting e-Sports along with using dlc profits to help fund pots. I don't think this helped them make much money at all no matter how cheap you think the budget was.

JayEH

They've spent millions in marketing propping it up as the pinnacle of fighting e-Sports along with using dlc profits to help fund pots. I don't think this helped them make much money at all no matter how cheap you think the budget was.

They're only using 1 dlc pack to fund pots. They also still have a partnership with Sony to help with esports.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I find that hard to believe. Do you have any facts to back your claim up?

Scanna

I put 80 hours in DR3 and loved it, DLC included. I still feel DR4 was too soon and too similar.. I bought it and still haven't installed yet.

The developers of dead rising need to take some time off and look at what made the original game great and work from there. Stop ruining such a great series dammit.
Also I think SFV sales will do better once they announce an updated super version which is just the game with both seasons currently to catch new players up, buying the game on disc and stuff separately is costly.

Bridges

Dead Rising was one of my favorite franchises last generation, but I hope to God they stop making them.

3 was fine and ended up being my favorite launch title when the gen started, but 4 stripped out everything I loved from the series. I've scoffed at over-dramatic comments like this before, but Dead Rising 4 marks the first time I have ever truly felt insulted as a player from a videogame.

I'm unsure there's any way for them to succeed with the franchise right now. Maybe sit on it for a decade and reboot it when the time is right, but clearly the direction they tried taking didn't resonate.

MrCarter

CPT DLC is seperate from their normal DLC. Either way they must be making some profit if they are giving away 80% of the CPT pack towards its production.

Fraeon

I dunno, I think DR4 failing has relatively little to do with chasing mainstream success and more them half-assing the game. Not to mention the game was released around during the holiday bloodbath.

Paz

I hope the MS money was enough for Capcom. There is an audience on PlayStation waiting for the Dead Rising series to come over again.

I certainly hope there isn't some huge untapped market of people who want Faux Rising 4 for PS4 cos that would be a pretty sad indictment of the playerbase's quality control

Capcom took a shot at taking the franchise 'main stream' but all that really means is they gutted everything that made it special.

With Ultra SFIV selling 1 million and SF X Tekken selling 1.8 on PS3/360, SFV not on Xbox and being a laughably barebones game suited for the tournament scene. 1.4 is about where I'd expect even though it's technically a mainline entry.

Danielsan

Good job Capcom. I'm not even angry anymore about the direction they took Dead Rising in. I've simply written off the series. Complete lack of understanding as to what made their product unique. and worthwhile.

Renekton

How many millions though I wonder. 2 million? 99 million?

The e-sports events seem to be co-sponsored or partly DLC-funded, so at least it seems far cheaper than the traditional marketing COD/AC would have.

Blackage

Capcom is a mess this generation, they had some good will leaving last gen, but the writing was on the wall they had some issues, specifically with Japanese management, and this generation they've just been a raging dumpster fire from the get-go.

I hope the new PS4 Monster Hunter does well for them.

I expect MvC:I to disappoint sales-wise due to the immense hate it's getting online which will spread via word of mouth(Which is a shame because it's fun from what I've played).

I also wonder if them not having their own in-house engine and switching to Unreal has hurt their development more then it's helped them.

This is a funny post in hindsight.

What are you trying to do? Draw your own causal fallacy?

Read the reviews, there are an abundance of reasons that both fans and critics disliked DR4, more than previous instalments. If you actually look at metacritics user reviews the most common criticism is the lack of co-op, whereas the removal of the games timer frequently appears in positive reviews.

Quick word frequency review of the front page of metacritics user reviews:

• Co-op is mentioned a total of 11 times across 7 reviews. All 7 reviews site it as a reason for disliking the game.
  • The timer is mentioned 11 times, across 8 reviews. 4 reviewers talk about the timer positively, saying they prefer not being time pressured, 3 view it negatively, and 1 review is mixed.
Obviously that's just a surface level analysis, but at a glance it seems that the timer wasn't poorly received by fans, at least not compared to features like the lack of fully integrated co-op. The latter of which was also much more likely to have an influence on the sales of the games as players no longer purchase the game to play with friends, if the co-op isn't worthwhile.

I never liked traditional Resident Evil titles (1-3). I enjoyed RE4 and 5 and I also enjoyed RE6. I have no interest for RE7 and I hope Capcom brings the series back to the action-horror style of RE 4-6.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
They have the resources, they just don't want to take the risk.

Well, yeah. Their resources have whittled away to almost nothing so any big project risks killing the company, that is how badly they have managed their IPs in the last 10 years.

More than any other developer the quality and quantity of their output has slowed to an absolute crawl and the games they do put out are always botched, half-assed efforts.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I hope the MS money was enough for Capcom. There is an audience on PlayStation waiting for the Dead Rising series to come over again.

Same could be said of Street Fighter.

Sizeable audience on Xbox would buy Street Fighter V and boost it's sales a fair bit.

ElfArmy177

Sorry but dead rising and saints row are like the "scary movie" franchise. Potty humor and stupidity is only fun for a short time and gets boring fast unless it's clever and witty. Neither of these games are clever or witty. Agents of mayhem will be the same and tank miserably. Stick to real stories and atmosphere Capcom. That's where you shine

Edit: I know Capcom doesn't make saints row. I was using a second example of stupid humor

As for Sfv, I never followed it long enough to really know what they did wrong

Sorry but dead rising and saints row are like the "scary movie" franchise. Potty humor and stupidity is only fun for a short time and gets boring fast unless it's clever and witty. Neither of these games are clever or witty. Agents of mayhem will be the same and tank miserably. Stick to real stories and atmosphere Capcom. That's where you shine

Edit: I know Capcom doesn't make saints row. I was using a second example of stupid humor

As for Sfv, I never followed it long enough to really know what they did wrong
The humor isn't what killed Dead Rising 4. In fact it had the right tone with it's setting.

Dueck

Banned
Not DR4... it was terrible. I got it for Christmas last year, and apparently I was bad in 2016 ;)

MS needs to make its own exclusives, rather than poach third-party ones. I just can't believe Scalebound got the axe and Crackdown 3 is still coming... That's the real tragedy here.

Not DR4... it was terrible. I got it for Christmas last year, and apparently I was bad in 2016 ;)

MS needs to make its own exclusives, rather than poach third-party ones. I just can't believe Scalebound got the axe and Crackdown 3 is still coming... That's the real tragedy here.

Crackdown 3 releasing this year is a tragedy?

Wooh, blatantly port begging in first post? New height for Neogaf.

Not really port begging when Capcom and Microsoft already confirmed it was only a timed exclusive. Though given how poorly it sold and was received, maybe they'll abandon the PS4 port anyway.

If he were talking about Dead Rising 3 then yeah, it'd be pretty dumb porting begging, since Microsoft helped fund its development. Same thing goes with Street Fighter V and Sony.

Oh... Then that's not good lol

They heavily overshipped it at launch, so it took a while for them to sell through those copies and ship out more.

SFVs shipped/sales sounds kinda brutal for such a legendary series.

SFV at launch was barebone game, and deserved all the negativity it got at launch, i gave it a bad review on steam, the game has come a long way since, still need to fix the netcode, my Negative review on steam won't be adjusted on the Netcode is fixed..

Luckydog

The Xbox relation can't be a coincidence.

Or perhaps it could be the Capcom relation? If you look at SFV, that has been a cluster F that has nothing to do with the Xbox..... I'm not stating if SFV is good or bad, but it is undeniable that it gets a lot of bad press and seems to have sold poorly on 2 massive install bases.

Top Bottom