• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait for Capcom to start handing out nerfs no one is asking for. Damn, it's really hard for them just to buff characters instead. :/

See, that's what's funny. When I hit up Twitter or other forums, people crave nerfs for certain characters. It's not even always top tier boyz either, but most of the time it is. Nerf Laura, nerf Guile, nerf Urien, etc etc.

But then, when that Core-A video hit, or when people bring up that Capcom slide, it's people wanting only buffs and lamenting the fact that nerfs are a thing.

Balancing a game is fucking difficult. You have to make it fun, but fair, but also fun enough that the people playing aren't going to get frustrated across the board, BUT ALSO make it so it's balanced. Sometimes nerfs have to happen, and sometimes buffs have to happen. It'd love it at this point if Capcom merely buffed the lower tiers and let the meta breath, because right now the game is pretty balanced on its own, but that's not what the majority wants.

The majority has no damn clue. It's a mixture of different opinions, some run on salt, some looking at the bigger picture too much, and some looking at the little picture too much. It's a clusterfuck. Capcom isn't the only person who gets heat. Birdlady in KOF had some cheap ass stuff, but it was fun, and some people enjoyed it. Some people HATED it though, and so they felt it better to nerf. AFAIK, they've done nerfing and buffing as well, and their motto was roughly about keeping it fun and letting the game balance itself (which, kinda happened, but they have clearly stepped in at times).

This is common place with every fighting game since the dawn of patches. It's great that we have them, but people are getting too minute with things sometimes.

Edit: This goes back to my original point of people wanting their character to have "clown shoes" as James Chen puts it (meaning, goofy fun things), but the second someone else is sporting that shit? Oh man get them outta here.

Village

And none of those things matter, the back story could non existant, or literally anything that fits the personality they picked for the character. The personality would still be there, just like the personalities of all the people you've met throughout your life you know nothing about.

No not really though. The back story explains those things and gives a sort of personality or in some cases lack thereof. Makoto with out that back story is tropes, makoto with that back story is a character with a personality. It explains why those tropes exist, and gives you greater context as to why they exist, besides... existing. Character explanations don't have to be deep, street fighter has few I would call " deep" but they exist. And they give characters personality.

Also the people I meet throughout my life, exist. Outside of me, so am to assume, that that existance effected them in some regard as it does with most living orgasms. Makoto is a fucking cartoon character, so no that isn't the same. Because she doesn't exist. That not eqevalance, they have to explain , present and justify the personality for it exist... or it wont exist. Because they created her, because she's a fucking cartoon character.

Or do you go around asking people why they are cheerful, or stoic or introverted after meeting them?

I would sure hope not because that would be weird as hell.
No because those people are real people, not fucking cartoon characters. So the cadence given is different because of the context of not being a fictional character.

All you've formulated is a bunch of requirements and why laura doesn't meet them, even though it just boils down to "she's not interesting".
Forming a hypothsis ( laura lacks a personality ) and gathering evidence that supports your hypothesis ( She has a bunch of things related to her character, but nothing explaining how they relate to her as character) is the idea of theoretical discussion, yes.

Damn...all this over Laura's personality.

I dunno, I dig her character, she's funny.

That's cool man.

Its cool. Its alright.

I like talking about video games, I like them a lot. I can write a lot more about video games, I like them and make them.

So its not like " auuug i'm angry " its like " this is interesting and unfortunate " , I wanna talk about it.

Edzi

I've decided to take a break from Alex and nuke my ranked score with a new character. Who do you think is the easiest top tier for an Alex player to transition to?

Balrog tbh.

You can get away with three piece combos and pop v-triggers off'em. Plus the mere thought of that happening is enough to get people shook. Just make it always seem like it's your turn and don't get knocked down.

Your definition of personality is the reason why you are looking for more than there needs to be. Character traits don't need to explain anything about "how". A personality is literally nothing more than a collection of traits.

It doesn't matter if this concerns a fictional character or your next door neighbour, nothing that's part of a personality needs to be explicitely explained.

The back story could be filled in and be there for people that care (like you), but that doesn't mean the personality suddenly stops exisiting for the people that don't care about some "explanation" for their traits or are oblvious to it.

If anything, having a back story (that's often not the length of a lifetime) explain an entire personality to the tee, is a very uninteresting way of trying to make a character more appealing; it's just an info dump at that point.

Village

Your definition of personality is the eason why you are looking for more than there needs to be. Character traits don't need to explain anything about "how". A personality is literally nothing more than a collection of traits.
They do, because a personality is literally HOW you respond to the world

Having a personally is literally a how. Your personality is a response to the stimuli that sculpted it. It is quite literally a how, and a why. There isn't a lot of hows and why's with laura, there is a lot of relation. Things she was given, but have yet to relate to her in any meaningful or interesting way?

It doesn't matter if this concerns a fictional character or your next door neighbour, nothing that's part of a personality needs to be explicitely explained.
So again. My real neighbor, I can discern their personality... by engaging with them. Or at least what they want me to perceive them to be. They are real person, they have a level of control , they have will. So they can talk to them

A fictional character does not have that, unless you give that to them. And one of the most common flaws of writing ,is thinking you have given a character that... but not. If you don't give a character that, they don't have it. Its not about explicit explanation, is about lack their of.

You need to come up with a better argument than " real people" this is a damn cartoon character, in this context the rules do not apply.

The back story could be filled in and be there for people that care (like you), but that doesn't mean the personality suddenly stops existing for the people that don't care about some "explanation" for their traits or are oblvious to it.
Sure, but even then the personality should bleed out into how she talks in fights in the matches and regular story. But for laura... it doesn't really communicate anything solid, just... random tropes.

You need to come up with a better argument than " real people" this is a damn cartoon character, in this context the rules do not apply.

I'm not looking to argue or anything, but these characters are human beings in their world. I feel like this is over analyzing things that's just suppose to be natural.

How as in "how they relate to her as character", not how one interacts with the world smh...

And no, you can only discern what your neighbour wants you to discern, specifically because you don't have access to some exposition info dump; this is not uncommon to how people conduct themselves in workplaces or other regular social gatherings.

Likewise a "damn cartoon character" was made with traits for you specifically to discern, regardless of whether or not it's accompanied with an info dump. And what Trinidad_Jason said.

I personally had no idea about makoto's backstory, because I don't care, it also doesn't change the way I've always viewed her. I honestly doubt any kind of elaborate backstory would make me suddenly view laura as having a different personality as the one she has now, unless it was something weird like being completely contradictory.

Or in other words:
opm42.gif

Village

I'm not looking to argue or anything, but these characters are human beings in their world. I feel like this is over analyzing things that's just suppose to be natural.

You can't just say " well it exist their world" you have to in some way justify how they exist in their world.

If we go " well this character exists in their world, and that's just how their world is " not only would we not be able to criticize, we would lack a good amount of good story telling and world building because critiquing those things would be immune to criticism.

That isn't to say there isn't a level of suspension of disbelief in street fighter, most video games we have to some degree " go with the flow". That doesn't however excuse it from critique. And that doesn't make evrything that you are " supposed to go with the flow with" good.

Moreso than that, this isn't just an element of the world, its a characters entire personality seemingly missing. It also prevents me from just " going with the flow " when I can easily see , why she doesn't have a personality, which is " we wanted to make a sexy character using jujistu, and didn't really think of one, so we just threw random tropes and connections to the SF universe onto this character untill we go something that was vaguely a person ( sexy ) "

I'm a guy willing to look past stuff, but I also like an and... she just don't got much going on. And its hard to look past because its a playable characters personality as a whole. Its not like an element, like how cody doesn't just accidentally break his fucking cuffs by moving "

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";229738826]Vega is the only SF character I can sympathize with. Nobody else really makes any sense to me.[/QUOTE]

See me in the parking lot

in the parkin lot

Tizoc

So are s2 characters gonna be released every 2 months now? Or is gouki considered a january character?

Village

And no, you can only discern what your neighbour wants you to discern,
Considering that your personalty often operates on subconscious levels. That's kind of strait up not true.

specifically because you don't have access to some exposition info dump; this is not uncommon to how people conduct themselves in workplaces or other regular social gatherings.
Yes because they are a real person, that exists outside of me, and not a cartoon character who only exists in the context of the story. And can only communicate though that, and has no will of their own.

Likewise a "damn cartoon character" was made with traits for you specifically to discern, regardless of whether or not it's accompanied with an info dump. And what Trinidad_Jason said.
Sure? But if there is nothing to put those tropes in context... it often results in lack of a personality.

I personally had no idea about makoto's backstory, because I don't care, it also doesn't change the way I've always viewed her. I honestly doubt any kind of elaborate backstory would make me suddenly view laura as having a different personality as the one she has now, unless it was something weird like being completely contradictory.
You not caring, doesn't mean it wasn't there. It also doesn't mean it wasn't important didn't inform her design. It did, you just don't care. That informed her design well enough, you didn't need to, you got that. Luara's does not do that. Which is my point.

But whats your point? Because if your point is " I don't care" , then why are you talking? Because either you care, or you don't care.

And if you don't care, we can just stop talking? I'm trying to be reasonable with you here, but " i don't care" isn't an argument. At least in this context

Considering that your personalty often operates on subconscious levels. That's kind of strait up not true.

People mask their personality all the time, whether it's on a first date or because the "boss" just walked in the room; it's straight up super true.

You not caring, doesn't mean it wasn't there. It also doesn't mean it wasn't important didn't inform her design. It did, you just don't care.
This is literally what I said earlier...:"And none of those things matter, the back story could non existant, or literally anything that fits the personality they picked for the character." To which you responded:
"No not really though. The back story explains those things and gives a sort of personality or in some cases lack thereof."

As I said, the explanation is irrelevant, it doesn't need to be there, it's just an info dump for people that care about such things, I got makoto's personality just fine without it.
So, yes really though.

That informed her design well enough, you didn't need to, you got that. Luara's does not do that. Which is my point.

Laura does not do that for you. Which has been my point all this time.

People mask their personality all the time, whether it's on a first date or because the "boss" just walked in the room; it's straight up super true.
Attempting to mask your personality is a personality trait.

Some people will never think of masking themselves when it's needed. Others will mask themselves when it's entirely unnecessary.

Why do so many characters in this game have command throws?
ComboFiend likes them.

Edzi

Lupe's new stage name??

Nah, Capcom's garbage system docked me 300 points because of a known bug.

Question for you guys: What do you think the rationale was behind making Alex's medium buttons as slow as most character's CC heavies? I'm genuinely curious since Capcom didn't explain and it makes no sense to me.

kobu

Question for you guys: What do you think the rationale was behind making Alex's medium buttons as slow as most character's CC heavies? I'm genuinely curious since Capcom didn't explain and it makes no sense to me.

I said it before and I'll say it again do not try to rationalize the balance changes capcom makes. What they did to some of the characters just doesn't make sense any way you look at it. Also I'm down to play if you're still up for it.

Edzi

I said it before and I'll say it again do not try to rationalize the balance changes capcom makes. What they did to some of the characters just doesn't make sense any way you look at it. Also I'm down to play if you're still up for it.

Yeah, for sure. Shoot me an invite CFN EdziPC

EDIT: I'll accept the invite in a sec, just got pulled into a match.

lol, I can't believe Urien mashing HP in neutral is a legit strategy in this game. Seriously.

It never seems to work for me.

I've been switching from Bison to Urien, with Bison I could always rely on a light scissors to continue my pressure, but with Urien if I try the same thing with tackle I'll get punished. What are the blockstrings I need to be hitting in order to continue pressure?

I'd like Laura if she didn't have a projectile. Or rather, if her projectile wasn't magically conjuring lightning from the back of her head. I like my characters practical. Bring back Sean, don't make him a joke, and give me basketball zoning.

I'd like Laura if she didn't have a projectile. Or rather, if her projectile wasn't magically conjuring lightning from the back of her head. I like my characters practical. Bring back Sean, don't make him a joke, and give me basketball zoning.

It's static electricity from her hair.

Japan didn't want to risk any more wins by New Yorkers, not after seeing what that has led to.

Its not as bad as what cammy can produce frim her butt.

It's static electricity from her hair.

I thought all Brazilians could harbour electricity.... Unless capcoms been lying to me all these years. I doubt they would do that though.

Sayad

Finished survival on hard with Vega and didn't get any FM, got the colors, but no fight money! Can't think of a single game I've played where the developers were more incompetent, a year since release and some of the same problems people complained about week one are still in the game!

Whoever responsible for the network stuff is obviously not up to the task, they need to find someone else. They're already outsourcing most of the game, I really don't see why they have to stick with this pos!

Finished survival on hard with Vega and didn't get any FM, got the colors, but no fight money! Can't think of a single game I've played where the developers were more incompetent, a year since release and some of the same problems people complained about week one are still in the game!

Whoever responsible for the network stuff is obviously not up to the task, they need to find someone else. They're already outsourcing most of the game, I really don't see why they have to stick with this pos!

Did you get 10 colors on another costume? if so, you only get FM once, if you didn't then you were screwed by the shitty servers..

thelastword

Banned
It's the first time I've seen it happening in this game, but the last few days, winning ranked is no guarantee you will get the fight money, especially when it says results were not sent to the servers. It used to update the lp eventually, but I've now played a few ranked games and not received the lp.

myco666

This the biggest reason why I won't bother even with Normal Survival anymore. If it isn't guaranteed that you get all rewards why bother. Already had to do easy twice with Akuma because it wouldn't register the first time.

Capcom Unity said:
To match the changes in the game, Alex's mid-range attacks have become a little slower. However, Alex's close range damage output has increased as new combo opportunities such as, Crouching LP > L Flash Chop and Lariat > Standing MP have been added. Additionally, the anti-air ability of crouching HP has been improved, making it easier to do damage when he properly reads the opponent.

His normals were pretty good and I guess now you can't spam cr.mp with out punishment. Thats all I can think of.
Oh and play Gief.

Laura is cool, playing against her isn't.

Spuck-uk

Banned
DPs losing full body frame 1 invincibility was cool and good. Crush counter as punishment is still fair because they still have invincible frames and cost no meter.

Bad Shoto players finally have to learn how to block

DPs losing full body frame 1 invincibility was cool and good. Crush counter as punishment is still fair because they still have invincible frames and cost no meter.

Bad Shoto players finally have to learn how to block
You could remove all specials from the shotos, bad players still won't block.

Village

Is there a stage Alex mod? As in, a mod where you can use the outfit he's wearing in the NYC stage?

... Huh I don't think so.

You could problably ask someone to make it for you.

All it is is him wearing the plad shirt he has around his wasit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom