• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

Kolin_Story_Costume.jpg

I'm now upset that this isn't her main outfit.

lol, I do think the nerfs aren't going to be heavy and instead mostly focusing on the low tier characters. Man imagine seeing the whole cast at tournaments. All they need to do is buff three more people.
You know that's the exact opposite of what they're going to do.

If Donpachi, Gunfight and Kubo really cared they'd just stop playing SFV until the patch is released. Best not give Capcom any excuse to nerf Alex further. I'd say the same about Fang, but there might be like... one dude who plays him well at this point? lol

"We Broke Alex's arm, but he can still Jab AA Nash as we expanded his Jump in normal's hurtbox fullscreen"

You know that's the exact opposite of what they're going to do.

To be fair that's the exact opposite of what most people who play SFV want.

"In response to the complaints, Urien no longer has AR and we cut off his arms, Laura can no longer throw, and Rog's arms have been shrunk to the size of a T.Rex appendage."

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
So her V-Skill is a counter? Man, I feel like they are throwing away great opportunities with those. How many more parries and counters can they put in?

So her V-Skill is a counter? Man, I feel like they are throwing away great opportunities with those. How many more parries and counters can they put in?

It looks more like a strike with a guard point to me. Will be great for stealing turns but I can guarantee it'll be super punishable on block.

We also want to let you know too, expect to hear more from us about each of the remaining four characters every other month beginning in February. That said, in months where we won’t have any new character info, we will have new information and content to talk about. As previously mentioned, we have been analyzing player performance since the Season 2 balance changes. At this time, we can confirm additional changes are in the works to bring characters in-line with how we envision them to perform. We can’t share all of the details quite yet, but we are anticipating an announcement early March.

Talk is cheap, show me the receipts.

That V-Trigger is damn good though.

One of my suggestions for possible changes to FANG's V-Trigger was making the stun gauge reduce at a much lower rate when you're poisoned, and this is quite a similar concept.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It looks more like a strike with a guard point to me. Will be great for stealing turns but I can guarantee it'll be super punishable on block.
It's hard to see in the trailer, but you could be right. We would basically need to see it whiff. They call it a counter, though:
Kolin's unique counter allows her to deflect and automatically punish incoming moves with ease.

Kolin_VSkill.gif

How many more V-Skills can they create that are actually unique to the character?

They haven't done a great job so far.

lol, I do think the nerfs aren't going to be heavy and instead mostly focusing on the low tier characters. Man imagine seeing the whole cast at tournaments. All they need to do is buff three more people.

Do it right Capcom.
The nerfing is dumb. Yeah, Urien, Cammy, Necalli, Laura and Balrog could use one or two light touches, but I'd rather Capcom buff the bottom 4-6. Vega could maybe use a bit more damage, Ryu's hitbox/hurtbox nerfs on normals should be reversed (except for AA jab lol) and Juri could maybe use light buffs (along with an AA jab nerf that other characters need). Alex, Fang and Nash are obviously the trouble cases that need a serious look. Give me a 80:20 split between buffs and nerfs. No more normalizing, Capcpom.
Still playing Nash?
He was until recently. I use Karin, Alex and Urien once in a while when I just want press buttons without a care.
"We Broke Alex's arm, but he can still Jab AA Nash as we expanded his Jump in normal's hurtbox fullscreen"
RIP Direct Quote's secondary Nash.

Skilletor

V-System is probably the biggest failure of this game.

Lots of vtriggers are good, but I don't think any of the vskills can be used in a way to make a character super unique.

Maybe 2-3 of them.

It's hard to see in the trailer, but you could be right. We would basically need to see it whiff. They call it a counter, though:

Kolin_VSkill.gif
There's also that AWESOME looking anti-air parry into grab so I don't know if that's a move or part of her v-skill or what. SHE'S GOT A DOUBLE JUMP FOR GOD's sake.

Even if her V-skill might not be the freshest thing in the game, her moveset certainly is a contender.

Also, we're going to be seeing me post this picture quite a lot:
52251007.jpg

Her voice sounds great too, especially in her CA quotes. Cindy Robinson's one of my favourite VAs so I'm happy to hear that she's getting more comfortable with the role.

Lots of vtriggers are good, but I don't think any of the vskills can be used in a way to make a character super unique.

Maybe 2-3 of them
It's basically a crappy version of BlazBlue's Drive system, and I have to wonder whether the V-System fails because Street Fighter is too limited in what gameplay options it can allow, or if it's a design failure.

For example, if Kolin had Sub-Zero's Ice Clone as her V-Skill would it break the game? My hunch is "yes", and so they give her a generic counter/parry-esque move.

cheesekao

At least it seems like you get guaranteed damage from the counter unlike Ryu or Alex where the advantage you get from parrying is minimal.

Love everything about her. One of the things I wasn't looking forward to about Helen/Kolin was her pouty looking face, so i'm glad they touched it up a bit. As for her moveset, it looks friggin fantastic. I've been playing Urien for a little bit now, but I definitely see myself putting some time into the ice queen.

The nerfing is dumb. Yeah, Urien, Cammy, Necalli, Laura and Balrog could use one or two light touches, but I'd rather Capcom buff the bottom 4-6. Vega could maybe use a bit more damage, Ryu's hitbox/hurtbox nerfs on normals should be reversed (except for AA jab lol) and Juri could maybe use light buffs (along with an AA jab nerf that other characters need). Alex, Fang and Nash are obviously the trouble cases that need a serious look. Give me a 80:20 split between buffs and nerfs. No more normalizing, Capcpom.

He was until recently. I use Karin, Alex and Urien once in a while when I just want press buttons without a care.

RIP Direct Quote's secondary Nash.

I mean, I'd rather they just buff the bottom boys, but people complain about the top tiers way too much for them to ignore. People don't want to learn how to fight Laura, they don't want to watch out for Rog's mixups, and they don't want to deal with AR setups. Normalizing, at least in the way I'm referring to, would just mean buffing the lower tiers and leaving the game as is. But people aren't going to like either method, so I'd settle for some tweaks on either side.

It's like that with pretty much all fighting games that receive updates. GG is already getting shit for things and it's not even out of the loketest AFAIK.

Maybe 2-3 of them.

I think they are more or less at this point letting the character work their gameplans better. Urien's v-skill lets him set up AR more often and get through attacks with that extra armor, meaning he can keep up the pressure. I really don't mind similar v-skills, because Akuma's parry has different utilizes than Ryu's. And Kolin's looks like it goes into a throw if they try to jump in on you, placing them in a different area instead of if they hit you on the ground, where they get knockbacked. Bison gets a fastball fireball out of his for later combos.

I would have liked to see more focus on those elements rather than them being ways to assist characters, but they aren't so similar that my eyes glaze over. Just wish Mika and a few others had more time to use theirs.

ElFly

It's basically a crappy version of BlazBlue's Drive system, and I have to wonder whether the V-System fails because Street Fighter is too limited in what gameplay options it can allow, or if it's a design failure.

For example, if Kolin had Sub-Zero's Ice Clone as her V-Skill would it break the game?

wait

doesn't the ice clone break mk3. IIRC they heavily nerfed the clone in umk3 anyway

this is the worst comparison

besides, any move that leaves the opponent in a 'frozen' condition, which is basically stun, would have to be costly. in this case, the cost is the full v-trigger bar. if it was meterless, the cost would have to be severely gimping Kolin's damage output

I don't think the lack of ice clones is proof the V-system or SFV in gral is broken

Village

They should at least give us a Violent Ken costume.

With like different effects and a different voice?

I would totally that. Give him different like win quotes and stuff too.

I mean I want like a character with dashes and stuff, but a SSS teir costume that is basically a different character is also something I would take

HardRojo

For example, if Kolin had Sub-Zero's Ice Clone as her V-Skill would it break the game? My hunch is "yes", and so they give her a generic counter/parry-esque move.
Yeah, it'd be nice if more characters had V-skills as useful as Guile's, which is integral to his gameplay, but I guess balancing them would be really difficult if they went for the completely unique approach we were expecting. I hope they play a little bit with the next characters in that regard though.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Maybe 2-3 of them.
They started out pretty well. I think Ryu's, Ken's, Birdie's, Zangief's, Dhalsim's and probably more I just forgot all make them unique in a good way. But it's pretty damn hard to balance something like a parry. It's a "one frame faster and it's broken" type of situation. Same with Ken.
I was absolutely sure we would have a character with a focus attack by now, but we don't. It would be hard to balance.

edit: Yeah, Guile's is great, too.

With like different effects and a different voice?

I would totally that. Give him different like win quotes and stuff too.

I mean I want like a character with dashes and stuff, but a SSS teir costume that is basically a different character is also something I would take

Injustice 2 has premium skins which straight up change the character's appearance into someone else and also features completely new dialogue. Like turning Flash into Reverse-Flash.

But they play and are customizable in exactly the same way.

Maybe 2-3 of them.

V-skills:

Ryu: Parry
Ken: Run
Laura: Mobility that she doesn't have otherwise
Birdie: Traps
Dhalsim: Air mobility that he never had before
Balrog: Feints and psyche-outs he never had before
Guile: AMAZING.
FANG: special projectile property that's never been seen in a SF game before
Rashid: Mobility options that compliment his V-trigger very well
Vega: SNK style dodge
Alex: Free counter hits
Necalli: Seismos
Gief: Body Armor

I dunno, these all sound pretty dang unique and interesting to me.

Some, like Ibuki's and Karin's V-skills aren't all that special...but, their V-triggers are already very intricate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom