• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main thing that should change for Urien is when he whiffs an EX headbutt the recovery for be about 180 or so frames. Because F that guy.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I always wonder if people calling a new character boring don't play many fighting games and lack some imagination when it comes to their gameplay. Like that ice drop, the counter and the stun freeze alone open up so many possibilities.

Is Laura the only woman in this game who wears pants (in her default costume at least)?
Chun and Karin, too.

Looks to be a juggle with cr.mk.
Yeah, could be cr.mk.

BTW,

From Capcom-Unity:
"We also want to let you know too, expect to hear more from us about each of the remaining four characters every other month beginning in February. That said, in months where we won’t have any new character info, we will have new information and content to talk about. "

So, people that thought Capcom was only going to communicate 6 times all year can rest easy. Though, it was pretty obvious already.

I always wonder if people calling a new character boring don't play many fighting games and lack some imagination when it comes to their gameplay. Like that ice drop, the counter and the stun freeze alone open up so many possibilities.
Those people are generally a combination of "casual" and "only plays a particular character/archetype". Like the casual Guile players who only play Guile and nothing else.

mbpm1

Kolin looks like a mix between Karin, Decapre, and ice users in FGs. Hmm

I like how one of the alt costumes is just Cammy with different goggles.

FluxWaveZ

Mika needed the corner to get going and her clap gave her the corner at midscreen so she got going immediately lol. You could end a round really quickly with a random poke in neutral without any type of meter. Laura needs resources to do anything similar. Nor does she have a command throw loops lol.

pls don't get me started on S1 Mika's V-Reversal

Yeah, and Laura has an overhead that CCs, way better mobility thanks to her V-Skill so that she can get in easier than Mika ever could, not to mention an EX command grab that is projectile invincible so even fireball characters are scared of her when she's close, a st.MK that is a crazy good poke, more damage output than Mika ever had without counting on a reset, more health, a fireball for extra layers to her pressure and mixups, long range pokes and lows that actually do something, a st.HP that causes pressure and 50/50 situations if she has meter, etc.

Mika was nuts in S1. Laura is equally nuts in S2.

mbpm1

For example, if Kolin had Sub-Zero's Ice Clone as her V-Skill would it break the game? My hunch is "yes", and so they give her a generic counter/parry-esque move.

I don't think it would, but it would make things hard for some people who need to approach.

Definitely wish they had given her something like that instead.

I guess it's *kind* of originalish that she has combined Akuma's parry with your generic forward moving longer ranged poke v-skill that karin and ibuki has.

Kolin looks like a mix between Karin, Decapre, and ice users in FGs. Hmm

I like how one of the alt costumes is just Cammy with different goggles.

As a Decapre player, I'm cautiously optimistic about Kolin. From the leak she said to have stubby normals which puts a red flag.

Mieu

Pardon me for the ignorance. Does SF V have a page for tracking the number of times you have done a V-reversal, CA, V-Trigger, character levels, etc.? I can't seem to find one

Yeah, and Laura has an overhead that CCs, way better mobility thanks to her V-Skill so that she can get in easier than Mika ever could, not to mention an EX command grab that is projectile invincible so even fireball characters are scared of her when she's close, a st.MK that is a crazy good poke, more damage output than Mika ever had without counting on a reset, more health, a fireball for extra layers to her pressure and mixups, long range pokes and lows that actually do something, a st.HP that causes pressure and 50/50 situations if she has meter, etc.

Yea Laura does have a better toolkit of normals/specials than Mika in S2, but I still don't think S2 Laura is equally as nuts as S1 Mika was. I think we gotta agree to disagree on this one tbh, were both a bit too biased on this subject

mbpm1

As a Decapre player, I'm cautiously optimistic about Kolin. From the leak she said to have stubby normals which puts a red flag.

I saw nothing impressive in terms of normals in the trailer so I think it might be right.

At least she has those forward moving attacks, but they may not be safe.

Edzi

Mika needed the corner to get going and her clap gave her the corner at midscreen so she got going immediately lol. You could end a round really quickly with a random poke in neutral without any type of meter. Laura needs resources to do anything similar. Nor does she have a command throw loops lol.

pls don't get me started on S1 Mika's V-Reversal

I've just gotta say, watching a Mika main and a Laura main argue about which of their characters was worse is kind of hilarious.

kirblar

Sounds like we're getting a teaser or something for character 3 when Kolin releases. based on the "every other month, starting in Feb" wording. October is too late in the year to be releasing character 6, so it's likely March/May/July/September for the next 4.

FluxWaveZ

I've just gotta say, watching a Mika main and a Laura main argue about which of their characters was worse is kind of hilarious.

Heh, I guess that is pretty amusing.

My point, though, is that Laura is basically everything Mika was in S1 right down to how players feel about playing her. So if the nerfs come down hard, there'll be a basis for it.

Sounds like we're getting a teaser or something for character 3 when Kolin releases. based on the "every other month, starting in Feb" wording. October is too late in the year to be releasing character 6, so it's likely March/May/July/September for the next 4.

Why are you saying that? Kolin releases on February 28th and I figured "staring in February" meant her. The blog made it sound like we'll be hearing anything about character #3 in April.

lmao pretty much

"I dont thnk you understand how dumb _ is"

"I dont think you understand how dumb _ was"

its gonna go nowhere quick

mbpm1

lmao pretty much

"I dont thnk you understand how dumb _ is"

"I dont think you understand how dumb _ was"

its gonna go nowhere quick

That is not how you start a fight and finish it quickly.

I don't understand Kolin's V-trigger. It freezes the opponent and stun bar? Only the opponent if they are stunned? but if they are stunned they already can't move so what

FluxWaveZ

I don't understand Kolin's V-trigger. It freezes the opponent and stun bar? Only the opponent if they are stunned? but if they are stunned they already can't move so what

From what I understood, if it hits the opponent, their stun bar will be put in a frozen state where it no longer decreases for a period of time (or could it be permanent until they're stunned?). When they get stunned in that state is when they appear frozen. Not too sure if that's just aesthetic or if there's a gameplay purpose for this (not being able to mash out of the stun, maybe).

kirblar

Why are you saying that? Kolin releases on February 28th and I figured "staring in February" meant her. The blog made it sound like we'll be hearing anything about character #3 in April.
October is far, far too late in the year to be releasing a new character. It's too late for people to learn the character for the pro tour and also would be stepping right on top of MvCI's release.

mbpm1

That could be interesting but sounds very boring atm. All these ice possibilities (freezing other things like moves, freezing the opponent's feet so they can't jump, James chen's slippy slidy floor idea) and they went with that.

It does damage and stun like any other move.

it also "freezes" the stun bar. So your stun gauge won't decrease if you're not being pressured, it'll stay as is.

If you managed to get a hit in and stun them, they'll be "frozen" instead of dizzy. Same thing, only a visual difference (or at least so it seems).

Kolin_VTrigger.gif

That could be interesting but sounds very boring atm.
Is it really more/as boring as "get covered in a cloud of poison"?

Ryce

October is far, far too late in the year to be releasing a new character. It's too late for people to learn the character for the pro tour and also would be stepping right on top of MvCI's release.
MvCI is probably releasing in November or December. Releasing an SFV DLC character in October wouldn't be stepping on anything.

mbpm1

It does damage and stun like any other move.

it also "freezes" the stun bar. So your stun gauge won't decrease if you're not being pressured, it'll stay as is.

If you managed to get a hit in and stun them, they'll be "frozen" instead of dizzy. Same thing, only a visual difference.
Is it really more/as boring as "get covered in a cloud of poison"?

I guess they are encouraging stun sets/pressure with that move, but it just doesn't quite sound cool enough to be v-trigger material. Maybe slightly more than v-skill material, but not vt.

That could be interesting but sounds very boring atm. All these ice possibilities (freezing other things like moves, freezing the opponent's feet so they can't jump, James chen's slippy slidy floor idea) and they went with that.

oh so it would look like high level SF4? (outside of dive kick characters ofc)

I guess they are encouraging stun sets/pressure with that move, but it just doesn't quite sound cool enough to be v-trigger material. Maybe slightly more than v-skill material, but not vt.
Sounds all right for a 2-bar VT, probably not for a 3-bar.

Also it'd be kinda broken for a V-skill.

We don't know if it's just a visual difference; you can mash out of stun state, perhaps the same isn't true for freeze.
Yes, I edited my post. It's possible that there might be differences in frozen state as compared to stun state.

mbpm1

We don't know if it's just a visual difference; you can mash out of stun state, perhaps the same isn't true for freeze.

Yeah, that could be a thing, but 95% of the time nobody's mashing out of stun unless you hit them halfway across the screen with a fireball. while trading with a knockdown move.
the rest of the character seems cool though.

Edzi

Maybe it acts as a sort of second or extended stun? Like they get frozen for a short time where you can attack them (without having to combo) as damage builds up, then when they break out of the ice maybe they're back to being regular stunned. I really doubt it's just a visual flair.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I actually think mashing doesn't make enough of a difference in this game. You're stunned forever in V.
Mashing is kinda fun.

Perhaps something like the specials do a bit more damage when you're in "frozen state" but normals do the same? I don't know but there's a lot of possibilities here.

vulva

Perhaps something like the specials do a bit more damage when you're in "frozen state" but normals do the same? I don't know but there's a lot of possibilities here.

I'd imagine it's just that your stun gauge doesn't deplete (kinda like poison) and once you're frozen in place you can't wiggle out of it.

Blueblur1

I was telling a friend about this. I wonder if we'll get two characters released together at some point. Wouldn't be far-fetched as Ibuki and Balrog were released together last year (though the circumstances were different). Or they could release the last character right after the August character.

Kashiwaba

I was telling a friend about this. I wonder if we'll get two characters released together at some point. Wouldn't be far-fetched as Ibuki and Balrog were released together last year (though the circumstances were different). Or they could release the last character right after the August character,

It would be nice to get all characters before EVO then they add new modes for the rest of the year.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It would be nice to get all characters before EVO then they add new modes for the rest of the year.
The release schedule is more build around Capcom Cup.
But even with that, october would be too late for the last character.

MCD250

Taking a better look at her battle costume now. That actually looks petty dope. The comparisons with Cammy's battle outfit are obvious but I like Kolin's a lot more tbh. The little vest, especially.

BlizzKrut

Banned
So correct me if I'm wrong, but the plan is sounding like CFN changes + balance changes in March and then the 3rd S2 character in April right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom