• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Edzi

lol the Mike Ross special.

Punk is starting to smell like a false hero.

This is beyond hyperbole. Punk is still one of the best SFV players in the world, a couple losses to equally talented players doesn't change that.

Okay, maybe thats on me. I'm shit, that doesn't really factor in on me.

I mean, I'm nowhere close to pro level either, I think that's why it bothers me so much lol

jett

D-Member
This is beyond hyperbole. Punk is still one of the best SFV players in the world, a couple losses to equally talented players doesn't change that.

I mean, I'm nowhere close to pro level either, I think that's why it bothers me so much lol

Of course it's hyperbole. It's a joke. I was thinking about this.

sixmRhw.gif

MCD250

lol the Mike Ross special.

Punk is starting to smell like a false hero.
He's gotten second place at a couple of tournaments recently, but he's still the highest ranked player in North America and the world by a fair amount. People are catching up a little though, which is normal. Nobody ever dominates forever (unless you're that SonicFox dude with NRS games, I guess).

Xeteh

Awww yeee... play my first ranked match in a couple months and it is against with 0 LP who is clearly just playing under a new account... I win... and he doesn't rematch.

I'm shit at this game but people suck and have zero desire to get better. They just want more LP.

joe2187

Banned
It's kind of refreshing watching VesperArcade play abigai on stream right now, because I dont hear DSP level of whining coming from him....even when he comes up against legitamate bullshit like throw loops.

Xeteh

It's kind of refreshing watching VesperArcade play abigai on stream right now, because I dont hear DSP level of whining coming from him....even when he comes up against legitamate bullshit like throw loops.

People hate on Vesper because he makes videos about every dumb thing (they're not wrong) but that dude loves him some SFV.

Edzi

st.MK would trade. If you're 1f slow, you get CH.

Seriously, what's with all this backseat coaching going on? You guys really think Punk doesn't know how to play? I'm shocked at how many people are bending backwards to make Laura look less BS just because she won a major.

Whoa, I managed to actually beat a really solid FANG as Abigail!

I lost the first round and he even teabagged me while I was stunned, but then I downloaded him and managed to take the next two with some trouble. I felt so proud!

But then the real kicker came when he sent me this a few minutes later. Genuinely made my night:

MCD250

I'm not saying Laura doesn't have problems, but I do think folks are somewhat exaggerating how that interaction played out in order to make that button seem worse than it actually is (and for the record, I'm not saying it isn't bad).

Especially since I'm now noticing that Punk tried to check it with sMP, which is a 5f that could have stuffed Laura's sMK (which is also 5f and also had that -2 oB to contend with). And it's not a question of the sMK pushing Punk out of range and then his sMP getting punished on recovery, because if that had been the case Punk wouldn't have gotten counterhit. Seems to me more likely that the nerves and the tilt made Punk screw up his timing and the sMP came out at least 3 frames later than it should have, hence why he got counterhit. Laura's sMK does have a somewhat weird-looking hitstun effect, so perhaps that contributed as well.

MCD250

I lost the first round and he even teabagged me while I was stunned, but then I downloaded him and managed to take the next two with some trouble. I felt so proud!

But then the real kicker came when he sent me this a few minutes later. Genuinely made my night:
Better than getting salty message'd.

myco666

Awesome guys - thank you for all the feedback and help. Sincerely appreciate it.

I had read over and over to not expect to do well when you start - but losing non-stop to people that are at my "same level" was definitely discouraging. I really want to give this game lots of time. I want to have a game to come back to and just "get better" on. So I will persevere. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't a "lost cause," especially because I can really only set-aside an hour a night or so.

I have not been recording, but I will start to. That's a good idea... I think you all will be getting some critique requests here in the near future.

If you tell your CFN anyone can go check your replays and give you feedback.

Just keep at it and you will get better eventually. Would suggest to concentrating on defense for now.

Some platinum Akuma player named Azjayy just rage quit on me just a bit ago. He won the first match, I took the 2nd. I dominated the 3rd match and was about to win after I stunned him with like 10% health left. Then I heard the double beep sound. Didn't make my night though. I was trying to climb back to 7k LP after dropping below that last week and that win would have been it. Now I don't want to play anymore ranked because I feel like I might go on a bad streak after this lol.

The magic of uploading quitters online is gone. But I always keep the video saved on my PS4 just in case I ever need to pull it back up. Wish I could do the same for PC without doing some extra work.

MCD250

It was a salty message! I was the one telling him GGs; my approach for dealing with excess sodium is to act irritatingly positive cuz it puts them on tilt even more.
Oh shoot, I took the XD smileys to mean he was just kidding about calling you a scrub and all that, heh. Salty messages really are the best tho. I usually just reply back with a :).

Zackat

I get punished whenever I try to do that. You can do two in a row but after that you get hit. Only rarely will someone take that many.

Bob White

Laura's sMK does have a somewhat weird-looking hitstun effect, so perhaps that contributed as well.

This game has such funky "your turn is over" interactions and animations. Like, it took almost a year for me to find out FANG's ground poison was -7. I never looked up the frames because it didn't "feel" like or look like it was my turn. The block stun ends so quickly that you can easily miss the punish window. Irritating as fuck.

And as time goes on and fighters get more kinetic, clarity needs to be something to take in consideration. Not more obtuse shit like whatever the fuck goes on when Ken puts you in block stun.

"Learn the match up" blah blah blah

Sayad

Vespers 15 game abigail win streak was just broken by a FANG player named VesperSucks
Vesper is a tournament level player who stream himself beating up gold and silvers online whenever a new character comes out! Pretty easy target to stream snipe!

Why are we complaining about Laura's St.MK? It's -2 on block. Can't you just press jab or short after blocking it? Problem solved?

It has weird block stun and decent push back. At the optimal ranges that most Laura's will use it most light attacks will normally whiff. But a lot of people end up getting hit by it or keep blocking because it has low hit stun so you block one and then a sequence like this tends to happen where you say "Wait a minute, that's -2 on block. My turn..oh shit too late". Or you cr. Jab whiffs and you get hit by the next st. MK. It's easy to blow it up if you're looking for it. But it's easy to get caught off guard by it when you're not.

To me it's like Elena's sweep in SF4 where the block stun lasted forever or Rose's EX spiral where it's shorter than you think so both went unpunished a lot.

It has weird hit stun and push back. At the optimal ranges that most Laura's will use it most light attacks will normally whiff. But a lot of people end up getting hit by it or keep blocking because it has low hit stun so you block one and then a sequence like this tends to happen where you say "Wait a minute, that's -2 on block. My turn..oh shit too late".

To me it's like Elena's sweep in SF4 where the hit stun lasted forever or Rose's EX spiral where it's shorter than you think so both went unpunished a lot.

I see. That's what I thought. I've been caught having certain lights whiff after blocking one of her knees, but I've long since trained myself to rely on longer range answers.

This seems like a case where getting flustered by the attack is commonplace, but it's certainly not a "problematic" attack. At least not in my opinion.

histopher

The easy fix to King Cobras design is to make him really tall (they did have Kareem Abdul in mind at the time). This further visually differentiates him from the shotos and with a completely different fighting style he would feel different enough. I would then implement him as a rival to Ryu/Ken/Sagat and Fei Long. Pit him against those guys and you legitimise him. He would be such a great addition.

Sayad

Anybody stuck with Kolin since she came out? I'm interested in playing her but have no idea what I'm doing. Didn't see anyone rep her at Evo this year.
I still main Kolin, seeing her walk away during her win pose is still worth the extra effort you need to put in for the win! :D

I hadn't watched Excellent Adventures in a spell but the talk of it here made me check it out. Watching Mike on a hitbox is painful (those things need to be outlawed), and with a high tier character as well. No wonder he's not into it, no Honda struggle to yearn for. Last I watched it they hadn't been relevant in SF4 for a good while so I guess the hop into a new game was the breaking point.

What do you have against hitboxes?

Also, on an completely unrelated note, you can have my hitbox when you pry it from my cold, dead, button-mashing hands.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Sadface.

So, I've been practicing all weekend. Have about 12 hours on my Steam clock.

Been in training just trying to get a feel for the combos and controls. I can link a few here and there. I can get a Hadouken about 90% of the time, successfully. I can nail a shoryuken about 90% of the time, too. Been watching a few beginner strategies on youtube and have tried a few against the CPU. I suck, but I know I'm still VERY green.

I hop on for my first bit of casual matches online. I'm a rookie. Ranked 680,000 or something. And I get my ass handed to me over, and over, and over, and over again.

And over.

And over again.

I mean, I'm not even kind of holding my own. I know I have A LOT to get better at. Absolutely, I can see my issues and where I totally suck (all of it). But it's not fun to play 15 different people and 20+ games and not even get a third round in a game - since they're all rookies, too. I figured at the low ranks, I would at least be good enough to get a few hits here and there. I suck at this.

Before you get too discouraged, keep in mind that there's a lag time between practice and improvement. The kinds of muscle memory and knowledge you're building in SF are the kinds of things that you practice some everyday and then a few days later you suddenly feel like you've got it. Your brain is doing work while you aren't playing.

As far as losing online, it's not fun to hear, but until you can control your character with close to 100% accuracy, chances are that you'll be thinking to much and too slowly about what you're doing to also process and react to what your opponent is doing.

I recommend spending a lot more time fighting the CPU so you can work on executing some basics against a moving target. Even survival mode can help with this. You can practice defence in training mode by turning up the CPU difficulty a little to make them more active.

Once controlling your own character becomes internalized your mind will be free to focus more on what your opponent is doing, and this is when you should start practicing via online matches. I say practice, because you're still going to lose a ton while you learn about how all the other characters play. There really isn't any shortcut for gaining knowledge about each matchup (i.e., what do people playing this character commonly try to do? when are they most vulnerable to attacks that you can reliably execute?)

You can look at frame data to supplement this process and to answer specific questions you might have, but without a lot of experience actually playing under your belt, trying to alter your actions based on frame data knowledge will probably be a hindrance. I'm a big proponent of first learning to playing by feel.

The most important thing is to just keep at it and trust that improvements will come, and if you're not having fun at all, take a break.

Marvel

could never
Yup, not sure why the hell Mike and Goo are still using Hitbox when it is clear every episode they are many times better on stick? dropping shit constantly, shit they could and did do on stick routinely.

I don't get it like at all.

Nothing against hitboxes but it's been clear for many months now they aren't used to the thing. I think to myself that they are only playing long sessions of V when the show gets recorded tbh. Which would account for the rust we keep seeing.

Before you get too discouraged, keep in mind that there's a lag time between practice and improvement. The kinds of muscle memory and knowledge you're building in SF are the kinds of things that you practice some everyday and then a few days later you suddenly feel like you've got it. Your brain is doing work while you aren't playing.

[snip]

Good post!
Playing against the CPU was a great help when I first started out, going from having never really played fighting games to wanting to be an online warrior. It has also been my go-to when trying out a new character for the first time, after playing around with them in the training room.

On top of the above, I would also strongly recommend trying to find other people who are just starting out and friending them on your platform of choice. Having somebody that you can play long sets with without getting completely demolished, whom you can talk with while doing so, goes a long way towards internalizing the game and keeping motivated. However, I would also recommend finding and friending people stronger than you to practice with, as it will greatly accelerate your learning process.

Top Bottom