• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Sadface.

So, I've been practicing all weekend. Have about 12 hours on my Steam clock.

Been in training just trying to get a feel for the combos and controls. I can link a few here and there. I can get a Hadouken about 90% of the time, successfully. I can nail a shoryuken about 90% of the time, too. Been watching a few beginner strategies on youtube and have tried a few against the CPU. I suck, but I know I'm still VERY green.

I hop on for my first bit of casual matches online. I'm a rookie. Ranked 680,000 or something. And I get my ass handed to me over, and over, and over, and over again.

And over.

And over again.

I mean, I'm not even kind of holding my own. I know I have A LOT to get better at. Absolutely, I can see my issues and where I totally suck (all of it). But it's not fun to play 15 different people and 20+ games and not even get a third round in a game - since they're all rookies, too. I figured at the low ranks, I would at least be good enough to get a few hits here and there. I suck at this.

It may seem like a lot, but 12 hours really isn't anything yet. The biggest thing comes from "understanding" the game, and with this I don't mean combos or specials, because you can win an entire set without throwing a single hadoken.

1st part to get there is proper spacing, which means trying to always stand at a distance where you're either neutral or at an advantage.
You don't want to walk into a range where your good buttons don't reach, but your opponent's do for example.
2nd part is knowing when and what to punish.
The easiest one is a blocked sweep, which I reckon you'll see a lot of in rookie ranks; most sweeps are directly punishable by another sweep for example.
You block a shoryuken type move? Know your crush counter button and press that to punish.
3rd part would be understanding what moves are + or -, this basically comes down to reading framedata or just testing in training; this will help you understand when it's your turn or when you can keep pressuring.
This 3rd part isn't as important as the first 2 in lower ranks, but you'll at least want to look the data over for your own character, so you can get a good sense of good and bad buttons.

Other than that I recommend watching replays of the people listed in the OT, watch their approaches, punishes, button presses; this is especially useful because you can see button presses from both side and get an understanding why one player did a certain thing a bit clearer.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Awesome guys - thank you for all the feedback and help. Sincerely appreciate it.

I had read over and over to not expect to do well when you start - but losing non-stop to people that are at my "same level" was definitely discouraging. I really want to give this game lots of time. I want to have a game to come back to and just "get better" on. So I will persevere. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't a "lost cause," especially because I can really only set-aside an hour a night or so.

I have not been recording, but I will start to. That's a good idea... I think you all will be getting some critique requests here in the near future.

Zackat

Awesome guys - thank you for all the feedback and help. Sincerely appreciate it.

I had read over and over to not expect to do well when you start - but losing non-stop to people that are at my "same level" was definitely discouraging. I really want to give this game lots of time. I want to have a game to come back to and just "get better" on. So I will perserve. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't a "lost cause," especially because I can really only set-aside an hour a night or so.

I have not been recording, but I will start to. That's a good idea... I think you all will be getting some critique requests here in the near future.

nope, this is completely normal for someone new to fighting games. I was in your shoes not too long ago. they are extremely difficult to "get" but once you get street fighter you can play any other fighter. they make me salty as fuck but also give me great joy. fighting games are great, man.

MCD250

iDom's Laura has been dangerous since S1 tbh. I think he has been inching closer and closer to beating Punk at NLBC, as well.

He just won a tournament last weekend, my dudes.
Still, folks are definitely starting to figure him out a little. Just like what happened to Infil last year.

I had read over and over to not expect to do well when you start - but losing non-stop to people that are at my "same level" was definitely discouraging. I really want to give this game lots of time. I want to have a game to come back to and just "get better" on. So I will persevere. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't a "lost cause," especially because I can really only set-aside an hour a night or so.

Something to keep in mind - but there are certain stuff you just can't learn through practice or guides right away.

Learning how to deal with random jump ins and cross ups, walk up throws, random blockstrings, etc at entry level is stuff you just have to learn through experiencing them. It's probably why you could be losing to players at your level (assuming they are and aren't just players who never touched ranked) since you just don't know how to counter these tactics, which can be overwhelming. Best thing to do is pinpoint what's giving you trouble and see how to deal with it through training mode, and to obviously keep playing. Asking for critique is also a good idea!

Yeah, I don't care if people dislike or hate sf5. I just don't understand how a game garners this hatred spanning almost 18 months and counting.

Like...move on. Why are you still talking about something you dislike so much?
I can kind of understand it -- I used to be this way with Halo. I felt the series was led astray but was on a course that could fix it all but just out of grasp. Difference was it was less that I would hate on the game in any thread that brought it up and more that it was a bit of a toxic feedback loop within the community thread for the series at the time.

I never enter threads about games I don't like or play.

What's wrong with these ppl mang...
Same. Though there are people that just like spouting off word of mouth and forming their opinions on that or just being mad to be mad.

MCD250

Idom is probably the best Laura, skillwise. If he traveled like Wolfkrone he would have won a major by now.
Yeah, he's always been nuts. Back in S1 there was a stretch of time when I considered picking Laura up, and so I started following a bunch of her players. Folks like Gino Dacampo, Mikeandike, Ice Effect, etc. iDom always stood out, even back then.

Bob White

I don't even feel anything when Laura wins, even against Punk. I'm just shaking my head.

Seriously, I don't get salty, or mad, or even mad at the player. I just think to myself, "maybe riot will release a more honest fighting game" lol

Save us, Seth.

I don't even feel anything when Laura wins, even against Punk. I'm just shaking my head.

I see you gootecks...

Yeah picking up a game can be a slow burn, but you're really only a lost cause if you give up working at it. It really is a mix of labbing up your execution, knowing your matchups/numbers, and especially having the experience out in the field to learn things first-hand. If you can learn from and get past the inevitable humbling L's then your mind's already in the right place.

7O1A0cp.gif

Top Bottom