• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

MCD250

I watched a few of PoongKo's matches with Kolin earlier. In one match he did a sLK on an Alex who had popped V-Trigger, got parried, and then when the Alex went to do the clothesline, PoongKo did a Vanity Step (which is strike invincible, I believe) to dodge it and then punished it.

Straight up one of the sickest things I've seen in a minute.

Xeteh

Still hoping Punk loses but he's totally got this tournament free. I'll be amazed if he loses a round.

Ugh, Lee Chung on commentary. Time to mute. I've heard enough "ohh... KAY"s for the rest of ever.

You're taking me a bit too literally.

Mostly just trash talking FANG (and luce). Dieminion has been godlike since before I started playing, I'm well aware.

Nah I know you're tongue in cheek man. Just pulling your leg a bit.

We should play again btw. I think we played before a long time ago.

On a similar note, what's the frames on Abigail's standing medium? Some guy kept using it over and over and I couldn't seem to challenge it right.
It might be -5 oB according to Capcpom, but I couldn't seem to punish it with Ryu's st.MP so I'm unsure.

It's like a 9 frame startup though so it's an easy CC.

kirblar

Did cammy just get two vtrigs the same round?
She's a 2-bar which can be burnt fast, if she burns it early she'll have it by the end.

Flowchart Laura- "Do I have EX"? If yes, throw out random unsafe normals and cancel to EX fireball and drain all your meter. If no, just do random Laura stuff until you have meter!

It might be -5 oB according to Capcpom, but I couldn't seem to punish it with Ryu's st.MP so I'm unsure.

It's like a 9 frame startup though so it's an easy CC.

It sounds like it's that one situations where one guy kept throwing a big button and you return fire but you keep getting hit because your button doesn't reach them and they're negative enough and their button is slow enough that it will only come out after your button's active frames are done.

You probably can't return fire immediately if someone is spamming it, just gotta go for the jump in or pause for a bit before counter poking if you think they're going to keep doing it.

EDIT: Wait what, it's +5 on block. Well that explains it then.

mbpm1

I thought you guys were saying Abigail's st. mk like with Laura's st. mk from the previous conversation

Was about to raise two eyebrows if st. mk from Abigail was all that and I missed it

My worst matchups with Abby

Fucking Sim
Fucking Akuma
Ibuki sort of
Nash can fuck right off

Definitely gotta practice my AAs. I'm getting jumped in on for free.

FHP for the AA right? And st lp just keeps him out?

Wait til you play a rashid!

I actually got to play against one that was Super Gold no less! He was overly spastic so it was CC city. I'm sure ones that don't whiff their DPs so constantly are gonna give me a headache

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Sadface.

So, I've been practicing all weekend. Have about 12 hours on my Steam clock.

Been in training just trying to get a feel for the combos and controls. I can link a few here and there. I can get a Hadouken about 90% of the time, successfully. I can nail a shoryuken about 90% of the time, too. Been watching a few beginner strategies on youtube and have tried a few against the CPU. I suck, but I know I'm still VERY green.

I hop on for my first bit of casual matches online. I'm a rookie. Ranked 680,000 or something. And I get my ass handed to me over, and over, and over, and over again.

And over.

And over again.

I mean, I'm not even kind of holding my own. I know I have A LOT to get better at. Absolutely, I can see my issues and where I totally suck (all of it). But it's not fun to play 15 different people and 20+ games and not even get a third round in a game - since they're all rookies, too. I figured at the low ranks, I would at least be good enough to get a few hits here and there. I suck at this.

leroidys

Use cr mk to poke from outside the range of most chars. If they get wise to that counterpoke with your medium or heavy buttons buffered into hp stabs. Anti air with cr hp ,st lp, aa counter, or vskill (if they come from far). Mix up with dash ins

Avoid using regular counters in neutral. Use vskill counters when you read pokes or counter pokes but don't rely on it bc it's -7 on block. Know your mixups off of ex stabs. Know your damage routes based on ex meter(you can get varying damage if you spend one, two or three bars from an ex combo starter. Know your counter hit jab combos and confirm them. Beat fireballs through jumping with hi, don't spend meter on ex dash punch too much.

This should take you to gold.

You don't even believe this lol

Great stuff, thanks!

Xeteh

Sadface.

Been in training just trying to get a feel for the combos and controls. I can link a few here and there. I can get a Hadouken about 90% of the time, successfully. I can nail a shoryuken about 90% of the time, too. Been watching a few beginner strategies on youtube and have tried a few against the CPU. I suck, but I know I'm still VERY green.

I hop on for my first bit of casual matches online. I'm a rookie. Ranked 680,000 or something. And I get my ass handed to me over, and over, and over, and over again.

And over.

And over again.

I mean, I'm not even kind of holding my own. I know I have A LOT to get better at. Absolutely, I can see my issues and where I totally suck (all of it). But it's not fun to play 15 different people and 20+ games and not even get a third round in a game - since they're all rookies, too. I figured at the low ranks, I would at least be good enough to get a few hits here and there. I suck at this.

As someone who is complete shit at SFV, yeah... that is about how it goes. Street Fighter isn't about hitting your specials or landing your punishes. I have been successful online in other fighting games, P4A and Injustice... SFV just destroys me. You can execute your combos 100% of the time but this game is about putting yourself in to the position to use them.

Don't get discouraged. This game is really fucking hard, I can go in to practice with Necalli and land all my combos 100% of the time, I've learned resets and punishes... I'm still eternally bronze, this game is fucking hard.

Sadface.

And over.

And over again.

Any recordings?

Combos literally do not matter at low levels of play. I would honestly ignore them for now outside of linking a move to a Hadoken or something.

Your first goal in any fighting game should be to learn what all of your buttons do.
Your second goal in any fighting game should be to learn when you use your buttons.

I'd say goal 1 usually takes me a few days to a week.
Goal 2 usually takes me about a month of play.

Then you start learning combos.

Zackat

Sadface.

And over.

And over again.

those people you are playing casuals against that are rookie ranked have probably been doing it for a while. a lot of people just don't play ranked at all.

don't even try to go for combos at all for right now. just use your normals. use d.HP to anti air. learn the range of your sweep so you can just hit them with it when they aren't expecting it. Control your space!

Who cares if you lose right now, just take a piece of something that you learned from every match. See how many times you can hit them with the edge of your sweep one game. See how many times you can bait them to jump at you and AA it clean, etc. You need to build yourself up slowly rather than try to take it all in at once. You will get into their heads if you keep AA'ing them, keep sweeping them. Use the target combo if you get a hit (you are using Ryu right?). Just change your perspective on what you're trying to do for right now.

Yeah, the LP would swat his dive pressure when I was playing last night. f+FP was pretty effective, sometimes it traded cuz of spacing, but with Akuma that's fine.

Good shit. Akuma just gets in and won't let up.

Sadface.

And over.

And over again.

Use this

https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFigh...ie_bronze_and_silver/?st=J0CHS303&sh=1c723f10

And use every match as a learning experience. Don't even focus on winning right now. You just wanna use these people as practice. A lot of beginners get caught up in trying to get the Ws, but you are better off learning how to get to the Ws instead of forcing it.

MCD250

Man, no disrespect to Smug because he's a lord, but they seriously need to do something about Balrog in this game. You got a 70% life lead, drop ONE DP and you get killed. Shit's stupid, breh.

Top Bottom