• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Pompadour

Animations, easter eggs and the complexity of her moveset. They put A LOT of effort into her that isn't really found in other characters.

I feel that a lot of characters this season had a lot of love put into them. Really the only character I feel missing all this extra effort, at least in animation, is Ed. But he had easily the most in depth character story.

Menat's walk animation is great and all but have we already forgotten Kolin's back walk?

MCD250

I wouldn't say Menat has had any more work put to her than other characters. I think they're trying different things. Sometimes it works (Abigail), sometimes it doesn't (Ed). And I think it's far too early to be calling anything in regards to Menat.

Blueblur1

I hope that Menat having a third [non-timeout] win pose means that they will go and make new ones for the remaining characters. (Vanilla SFIV had 4 per character with 1 time out win pose.)

stn

New Ed main over here! Can't wait for my stick to arrive so I can't start practicing those piano flickers. Any hint as to his best and worst matchups?

Since it's buff, yeah it actually has some use.

But it can be seen from a mile away and is EASILY punishable even from even full screen. You can only use it when your opponent has no meter and is 100 miles away.

I only use it troll.....
Mika, Alex, Nash and Ibuki are definitely top candidates for characters that could benefit most from a new V-skill.

Pompadour

Mika, Alex, Nash and Ibuki are definitely top candidates for characters that could benefit most from a new V-skill.

Mika's V-Skill should have been a secret taunt or something. It's so incredibly impractical.

Alex's V-Skill should just be parry. Three characters have parries now, regardless of how they're implemented, so I figure giving him that tool all the time won't be a big deal. He is the protagonist in the series that invented them, after all.

Nash's is just boring and feels like it should be a normal or special since he already has a meter stealing special. Maybe make it the LP version of his meter stealing special?

I'm surprised her command dash wasn't her V-Skill. Her current one feels like it should be a command normal you can charge, like Urien. SF tends to have a pattern of keeping glowy supernatural shit off of normals, except for cases like Bison.

Alex's new VS should be a DDT that leaves hard knockdown.

It should have been his V-Reversal from the jump.

Mika fucking defintely. But it works for her character, so maybe just buff it.
Alex, I don't know much about him, but doesn't he get quite a bit off a hard knockdown or whatever it does? Like if he weren't a shit character would it be decent?
Nash? Nah. Maybe more ways to link into it. Like a lot more.
Ibuki's seems boring but I see players use it all the time so I dunno.

I like Bison's but hard reads for a parry that's shittier than everyone elses is just weird.

Alex's VS being a parry would be a lot more cool if his VT didn't already do that and we didn't have like six characters that did that.

I'm cool with most of the parries since they do something different mostly. Akuma gets a combo extender, Bison gets a projectile, for Abby it's his only form of defense, etc. Only Ryu has a garbage one that's boring af.

Cammy's airthrow is one of the few animations that's simply not meant to be looked at slowed down.
They could've probably made it more pleasant to look at in slo-mo by just making her switch sides once.

The double spin honestly just goes too fast, over a large distance, to actually see any smaller motions.

The reason Cammy's throw looks bad isn't because we're seeing it wrong. It's because it's a static pose rather than an animation.

If i were them I would've just copy-pasted the Hooligan grab animation as a placeholder.

I think that's because it emphasizes just how bad it looks since you can't clearly see that it's static at full speed.

It's like the slo-mos of Menat's animations. They already look beautiful as-is, but seeing them slowly fully emphasizes the detail and elegance in her motions.

I think that's because it emphasizes just how bad it looks since you can't clearly see that it's static at full speed.

And that's literally what I said in my post.
It's also not really comperable to other animations especially because she covers so much horizontal motion with it in a such a short time, and it doesn't cause any hitstop; even if they were to put in more minute motions, you'd still never see them because the animation as a whole is just too fast.

This is actually proper animation...etiquette? Even pixar doesn't animate what you're not supposed to see. Slow the animation down to one side switch however and I'm positive there would be minute motion to it.

It doesn't really need slow motion to emphasize how terrible it looks, it's just very sloppy looking on the whole and the amount she moves, how suddenly she stops, and how flatly she drops all just looks so jank even putting her static posing aside.

joe2187

Banned
I booted up Alpha 3 Max to look at the roster and then I realized I no longer know how to play that game anymore, I cant even do a single combo.

Also.....Ingrids playstyle could be very interesting in SFV.

MCD250

Ibuki's V-Skill is good. Most people don't use as I think it was intended to be used, but that's fine. Charlie's would be better if it worked more like Ibuki's (or Karin's), a decent range poke that also absorbs projectiles. It was probably more useful back in S1, when he could move around faster (and the game's input lag was more pronounced). And call me crazy, but I feel like having a counterhit on speed dial has the potential to be a pretty good tool. Maybe it doesn't jive with Alex as well as it would with a character who has more combo potential and can therefore better take advantage of counterhit combos, but still. They should definitely make it so that Alex doesn't lose it if he gets hit though.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of Menat
g5OsVhb.gif

Mika fucking defintely. But it works for her character, so maybe just buff it.
Alex, I don't know much about him, but doesn't he get quite a bit off a hard knockdown or whatever it does? Like if he weren't a shit character would it be decent?
Nash? Nah. Maybe more ways to link into it. Like a lot more.
Ibuki's seems boring but I see players use it all the time so I dunno.

I like Bison's but hard reads for a parry that's shittier than everyone elses is just weird.
You mean off a stun? His V-skill is almost exclusively centered around stunning an opponent. Also, yeah, if he weren't a "shit" character his v-skill would be pretty decent. Honestly, give him special cancels off one or two counterhit crouching mediums and all of a sudden his v-skill becomes a lot more valuable just like Urien's specials become more concerning once he v-skills. As it stands his longest reaching counterhit st.mk, cr.mk/mp don't do much until you get v-trigger and can combo into sledgehammer off those buttons.
Alex's VS being a parry would be a lot more cool if his VT didn't already do that and we didn't have like six characters that did that.
Also, if his v-skill didn't build v-gauge for a two bar v-trigger in combination with his above average health and high stun. I mean, I know why Alex sucks, but on paper you'd think he is pretty decent with how quickly he can get to parrying and sledehammering. Oki, reversals and mixups are damn important in SFV.
Alex's new VS should be a DDT that leaves hard knockdown.
Whatever gives him more oki and forward momentum.
I booted up Alpha 3 Max to look at the roster and then I realized I no longer know how to play that game anymore, I cant even do a single combo.

Also.....Ingrids playstyle could be very interesting in SFV.
I'd be up for it if only because Capcom's other off the wall choices (Birdie, Abigail and Mika) turned out really well. Ingrid and Maki with SFV's animation and balancing could turn out to be fantastic additions.
Ibuki's V-Skill is good. Most people don't use as I think it was intended to be used, but that's fine. Charlie's would be better if it worked more like Ibuki's (or Karin's), a decent range poke that also absorbs projectiles. It was probably more useful back in S1, when he could move around faster (and the game's input lag was more pronounced). And call me crazy, but I feel like having a counterhit on speed dial has the potential to be a pretty good tool. Maybe it doesn't jive with Alex as well as it would with a character who has more combo potential and can therefore better take advantage of counterhit combos, but still. They should definitely make it so that Alex doesn't lose it if he gets hit though.
That or give him bonuses for stacked v-skills similar to the way his taunt worked in 3S with the damage bonuses. His V-skill was garbage in season 1 and is halfway decent in season 2.5. Just a little more would make it okay.

Marvel

could never
Goddamn when you have momentum with Rog it feels amazing. Flows so nice.

2nd fave v-trigger in the game after Bipson.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm a little late to the Cammy air grab talk, but I have yet to see it in person and I don't think I've ever seen it on a tournament stream either.

I agree with "just delete it."

MrCarter

lol that second spin just messes the whole animation up for me. Still better than anything NRS has to offer though. This shit is just plain awful.

giphy.gif

I know right lol a video game with currently 32 playable characters and every single animation is worse than that Cammy one lol.

Injustass 2 amirite lol what a shit developer NRS is.

Top Bottom