• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

I wonder why, if Zeku is done, that they pushed him to Oct. It's super strange to have a character come so late in the game like this. Again, that's assuming he was done or nearly done.

jett

D-Member
I wonder why, if Zeku is done, that they pushed him to Oct. It's super strange to have a character come so late in the game like this. Again, that's assuming he was done or nearly done.

Have you people learned nothing.

Stop paying attention to X-Kira.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I thoughtt it was always October?

Dec > Feb > April > June > Aug > Oct

Of course, Abigail got delayed into July but we still got Menat during Aug.

To be fair, what "kira" leaked was something anyone can check and verify in terms of how far along the character is (like Menat was). I'm not referring to his exact dates, which is always shit.

And it's because of that I think people (and me of course) assumed he'd be coming sooner rather than later.

Kira is a leaker and a speculator. His leaks are usually on point. His speculation is not so much. The issue is that he doesn't make very clear which is which, which is why you have people who sincerely believe even his most far-fetched guesses and others who deny things that are 100% proven to be directly taken from the game's code.

What Turb said. Like 60% of his stuff is based off of real findings, and the rest is speculation.

Problem is on both his side that he doesn't very clearly specify sometimes that it's speculation (perhaps it's because of the translation?) and on the side of the readers that we just gobble that shit up and get our hopes up and forget that this is Capcpom we're dealing with.

Like we know that Zeku CAN drop in a fashion similar to Menat, but where they're gonna reveal it isn't something that's exactly hidden in the game's files.

8be.jpg

jett

D-Member
Someone explain this constant, protracted breaks some of these tournies keep doing. Just how much peeing do these people need to do.

Moaradin

I kinda hate that rashid's theme became meme status. It gets way overplayed while there's plenty of better music in the game that barely gets any play.

UncleMeat

I kinda hate that rashid's theme became meme status. It gets way overplayed while there's plenty of better music in the game that barely gets any play.

There's definitely other good stuff. I only heard fang's theme for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it.

Man if Ken wins two tournaments in one week....online will be so glorious! :D

jett

D-Member
SFV's soundtrack overall is pretty great. Definitely my favorite FG soundtrack in a long time.

edit: I think this is the first time I've actually seen a Bison getting close to grand final in a major.

jett

D-Member
As a former Mika player it annoys me every time I see characters with super safe moves. :p

Nice on ProblemX for winning EGX. First Bipson major win or nah?

Congrats to Problem X for the win. Gachikun had no idea how to deal with that teleport shit lol. But at least his spot in Capcom Cup should be secure now.

I gotta say though, EGX results were kind of boring in terms of how it affected the rankings. Only Gachikun made a big move. Mago was sitting at 31 and a 9th place finish really doesn't help him at all. Finishing 5th or better would have helped a lot more. If Takamura won that would have been huge for him. I have no idea how many points he has now because the CPT website is down lol. SCR won't really be any different unless someone like NL or JB wins. Verloren, Verloren, Smug, or Yukadon winning means that the guys who are already safe will continue hogging all the points.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
As a former Mika player it annoys me every time I see characters with super safe moves. :p

Nice on ProblemX for winning EGX. First Bipson major win or nah?
I think Problem said it was the first Bison winning a major but I couldn't hear that well.

As a FANG player, it annoys me every time I see characters do damage :p

FANG does 100% mental damage, though, so you have that going for ya. Unfortunately, it affects both players.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
welp i double posted so i'm going to edit this one

To all the Ken haters, can anyone tell me why Rashid isn't as good or better than Ken at everything that makes Ken annoying? Or is the reason people don't talk about hating Rashid because it's a given that people hate Rashid?

welp i double posted so i'm going to edit this one

To all the Ken haters, can anyone tell me why Rashid isn't as good or better than Ken at everything that makes Ken annoying? Or is the reason people don't talk about hating Rashid because it's a given that people hate Rashid?
Because Rashid is cool and kinda fun to play against.

Can't say the same about Ken.

Also Rashid has a downside in that he can't play YOLO as much as you'd think, it's generally a very controlled offense with identifiable holes in his pressure if you know what to look for. If you're thinking with ken though then you're doing it wrong.

Blueblur1

I'm not counting on a Zeku trailer during SCR so probably no Zeku this month. So I guess that means there's no new SFV content this month? Not even a costume or stage it seems. Unless they make a blog post on Tuesday right before maintenance...

Capcom's communication still totally fucking sucks.

jett

D-Member
I'm not counting on a Zeku trailer during SCR so probably no Zeku this month. So I guess that means there's no new SFV content this month? Not even a costume or stage it seems. Unless they make a blog post on Tuesday right before maintenance...

Capcom's communication still totally fucking sucks.

They really don't give a shit about engaging with their audience.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Because Rashid is cool and kinda fun to play against.

Can't say the same about Ken.

Also Rashid has a downside in that he can't play YOLO as much as you'd think, it's generally a very controlled offense with identifiable holes in his pressure if you know what to look for. If you're thinking with ken though then you're doing it wrong.

Rashid is cool and fun to play against isn't the kind of argument I'm looking for so I'll move past that immediately.

I thought the complaint about Ken was that the players are YOLO, not the character. None of his specials are safe, and he has gaps in pressure just like anyone. So what makes Ken inherently more YOLO than Rashid?

Rashid has zoning, insane pressure, nonstop frame-traps, corner carry, deadly corner pressure including but not limited to throw loops, some safe specials, normals with decent range and speed, mobility, and mixups. Only his damage is weaker than Ken, and not by a crazy margin.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I dunno, fuck Ken.
I can live with that.

I personally don't always like fighting Ken because the mental damage of losing the mirror match is greater than the reward of winning. If I played a different character I don't think I'd mind at all.

But when I'm in a mentally resilient mood, I like fighting Kens because they all seem to have totally different styles. I don't know if that's objectively true or just a perceptual illusion resulting from my knowledge of the character (compared to other characters about whom I know very little).

Speaking of ken, just fought a trash one several ranks above me.
Is there a real way to identify intentional lagging? This guy should have been able to crush me easily given his rank, and the lag always seemed to drop after mixups.
I beat him 2 games, complained about the connection, beat him once more and quit the lobby. He won the first round of our first game, no lag. Also 5 bar connect in lobby, both with US flag
Was this open and shut an intentional lagger?

Oh yeah, Ken players are split into three groups.

The YOLOs. They do not give a fuck. St.hk got blocked? DP. Hold up+forward and tatsu, if it hit great if not DP again they believe the enemy won't see it coming and that the enemy will probably do a normal with long startup. DP till the day they die. It's been theorized that the majority of YOLOs only picked Ken because he is like Ryu but is blonde and has fire coming out of his hands. It does not matter how intelligent this Ken player is outside the game, once they have picked Ken their IQ just dropped to sub 80. Popular examples include Eita.

The wild-streaks. They DO give a fuck, even if it's in limited quantities. These are the ones who'll respect negative frames, will generally try to play a grounded game. Their gameplan would often fall apart if they didn't have an invincible reversal fortunately for them, they do. Though that's not to say these players aren't explosive. These are the ones who take one succesful hit confirm to start pressuring you left right and center. If they're confident in their reads, they'll DP after a blocked st.hk too. Popular examples include Big Bird.

The composed. They do not crack. They will never crack. They have spent years perfecting and honing their craft. Whatever wild streak they might have had, they shat it out long ago. They will almost never reversal DP, they never miss an Anti Air, their footsie game is the stuff of legend. They know when to back off and when to keep going. These are the SF Gods. Popular examples include Momochi.

I've faced all three, and all three are incredibly dangerous in their own right.

Ken is kind of annoying to fight but I don't find him to be that bad. Rashid though, I've always hated him even when he was considered mid tier or whatever it was in S1. I thought we were done with that obnoxious style of play that characters like Decapre, Blanka, Fuerte, Guy employed in SF4 when they were developing SFV but they just had to include one character like that.

As for Ken, switching to him is kind of a pain. But it's a personal thing because I've only main'd 2 characters in over 20+ years(Ryu/Evil Ryu) and took the time to learn one character that isn't a shoto(Yun). Even though Ken is another shoto this is going to take some time. But man I look forward to being able to do shit like pressure after a anti air. I'd love to come back to Ryu in S3 if the buffs are good enough, but I can't deal with it anymore right now.

Pachinko

From the start of the year the schedule was intended to be Character-costume/stage-character.

So season 2 did a soft launch with Akuma in December , then we got Kolin in February , Ed was supposed to be April , Abigail in June (got delayed to July) , Menat in August and Zeku in October.

I genuinely believe Abigail got delayed because he would have been kind of broken for EVO and it worked out fine to have him post evo because it meant a big update the same month as evo instead of a small update... when all eyes are on the game. I also believe capcom expected people to be more excited for the character than they ended up being.

Menat still landing last month put them back on that 2 month schedule so I imagine next week will be a stage and maybe a few costumes or maybe even nothing ?

October will be the final major update for 2017 of course. Then hopefully December will give us our season 3 early access.

Surfside

Banned
I feel fighting Kens i can't commit too much. No i have to wait for them making a mistake.
Rashids are far more dangerous close up, for me anyway.

For all Ken players: caneling dp into v-trigger
Do you do it on reaction or do you have it predetermined before executing?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I feel fighting Kens i can't commit too much. No i have to wait for them making a mistake.
Rashids are far more dangerous close up, for me anyway.

For all Ken players: caneling dp into v-trigger
Do you do it on reaction or do you have it predetermined before executing?
Contrary to my last post I don't fuck around with high risk DPs. Cancelling them doesn't make them safe
And the few times I've made a mistake and tried to back out of it with vtrigger cancel it didn't work out for me. I think people know it's not safe.

I've seen some fancy ex-DP cancels but I haven't incorporated that into my game either. I probably should, though it doesn't seem to be something top players do that often. In that case I'd try to do it on reaction.

Is it even possible to vtrigger cancel a regular DP on reaction?

I assume you're talking about cancelling to make it safer, not to continue a successful combo.

Top Bottom