• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

What ever happened to the double fight money weekends? They only did like one of those and it seems like such an easy way to keep people mildly interested in the game. I still have 30,000 more to go before I get that 1 million trophy :/
they did it once as an apology then that was it.

Should happen at least once a month imo

Random brainstorming:

It'd be awesome to see Sagat have two ways of throwing fireballs. One being the standard qcf which is tried and true.

The second being the same move, only being executed with back charge, like Guile's boom. The difference in this version would be that you can charge it to release the EX version without spending meter (which takes a while) or be able to forward/back dash out of it while charging.

Random brainstorming:

It'd be awesome to see Sagat have two ways of throwing fireballs. One being the standard qcf which is tried and true.

The second being the same move, only being executed with back charge, like Guile's boom. The difference in this version would be that you can charge it to release the EX version without spending meter (which takes a while) or be able to forward/back dash out of it while charging.

what if he didn't have any fireballs

I just hope he's fun, and a competent zoner. I really want to learn another character besides Ken, defensive to cover his bad MU, Guile is perfect but I suck with zoners.

Pompadour

He'll only have them in V-Trigger.

Three bars and it runs out faster than Ryu's.

How Sagat is handled will be a good indicator of how SFV overall will be handled going forward.

Since SFV was an over correction of SF4, maybe they'll over correct with Sagat and make his zoning be Injustice tier.

Skilletor

There are so many way to get around fireballs, I don't understand why they make them crap in addition to giving everybody a way of nullifying projectiles.

Pompadour

There are so many way to get around fireballs, I don't understand why they make them crap in addition to giving everybody a way of nullifying projectiles.

I challenge a lot of the claims of "X design choice was to benefit casuals" but I really think making fireballs shitty was definitely to keep casuals from getting too frustrated.

I think Capcom perceives, accurately or not, that most people's favorite style of play is rushdown and that most people hate going up against zoners. Getting zoned out is frustrating so I think they're hesitant in making zoning good because casual players over estimate its effectiveness. I'm sure in both SF4 and V people lose to Dhalsim a bunch at the lower levels but he isn't top tier in either game. I'm guessing they're afraid if he was too good at zoning that people would be so frustrated they quit playing.

Yeah, dumping fireballs seemed to be a way of keeping casuals less mad about "spam", which again was a consistent if not silly complaint in older games. I still think they can make fireballs a bit stronger across the board while keeping most v-skills that bypass it the same.

It's weird. Fireballs aren't used for zoning as much as they are for straight pushback, stun, damage, etc. But spacing? Nah. It's kinda like how parry was in SF3 but less reliable but still annoying for people who want to do straight zoning ala Guile. I still think they could make it work in a way that doesn't mean he's screwed if someone has a good method against like.

Like Guile lol.

SFV Sagat

cardx9uy4.png

• tiger uppercut is gone
  • tiger knee is gone
  • only one fireball, startup can be charged and canceled but it has a minimum 30 frames so you can't actually do anything cool
  • command grab
  • 14 frame forward dash
  • crouching fierce hitbox stops at his elbow
  • V-Trigger: tiger knee(can be used twice): projectile invulnurable, can be ground thrown while airborne
  • Super: Benevolent Scar - Elena's healing

Edzi

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";246122766]SFV Sagat

cardx9uy4.png

• tiger uppercut is gone
  • tiger knee is gone
  • only one fireball, startup can be charged and canceled but it has a minimum 30 frames so you can't actually do anything cool
  • command grab
  • 14 frame forward dash
  • crouching fierce hitbox stops at his elbow
  • V-Trigger: tiger knee(can be used twice): projectile invulnurable, can be ground thrown while airborne
  • Super: Benevolent Scar - Elena's healing
[/QUOTE]

I'm so sick of command grabs

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
"Benevolent Scar" lmaaaooo. I wonder how big he'll be also. Almost as tall as Abigail for sure, but I hope they stick more to the athletic classic style Sagat and not the bulked up Alpha one. A good mix of both would be ideal but pretty sure Capcom would lean more towards the latter.

MCD250

While I agree with what you're saying, I would argue that many of the ways that currently exist in the game to get through fireballs are kinda crappy, and therefore are only really effective if the fireballs themselves are crappy. See, for example, how Charlie can use his V-Skill to absorb a fireball, but the startup and recovery on it are so long that characters with good fireballs (like Charlie himself, or Guile) can quickly close the distance on him and punish him. Or how Cammy can easily V-Skill her way through Ryu's fireball and punish him, but has a harder time doing it to Guile (and at times it can even get her punished instead). There are also many good moves that get you through fireballs (fast moves that have armor or projectile invincibility, etc.), but those often require the use of an EX bar, and in a game where you can only have three bars at most, they won't always be readily available to you.

So I feel like the issue can be kind of complicated.

Skilletor

While I agree with what you're saying, I would argue that many of the ways that currently exist in the game to get through fireballs are kinda crappy, and therefore are only really effective if the fireballs themselves are crappy. See, for example, how Charlie can use his V-Skill to absorb a fireball, but the startup and recovery on it are so long that characters with good fireballs (like Charlie himself, or Guile) can quickly close the distance on him and punish him. Or how Cammy can easily V-Skill her way through Ryu's fireball and punish him, but has a harder time doing it to Guile (and at times it can even get her punished instead). There are also many good moves that get you through fireballs (fast moves that have armor or projectile invincibility, etc.), but those often require the use of an EX bar, and in a game where you can only have three bars at most you won't always be able to rely on them.

So I feel like the issue can be kind of complicated.

So what you're saying is that buffing fireballs would add to the defensive element of the game and require people who want to mount an offense to use meter.

:)

It doesn't always take meter to get through fireballs, so it's kinda character specific. I like how Abigail was handled. He CAN get through the spam but it takes decent work and leaves him open if he doesn't choose the right option (block, backhand, v-skill). The more effort you put in it, the better you are off, though. Like if he tanks a few projectiles with his v-skill he gets v-meter. But blocking won't get you that.

But he can still be spaced out, spammed out, and use that meter that could be for a stupidly damaging combo to just ex-nitro run in which opens him up to getting bodied if the opponent reacts properly.

It's good.

mbpm1

Yeah I don't see a problem with that

Jumps are as strong as ever, and imo the best option most of the time for anti fireballs. They don't leave you in crush counter states. They don't leave you susceptible to being jumped in on or beaten by multi fireball or normals. Anti airs in this game are suspect

Sako just said he likes SF5 over USF4. Pack it up.
https://www.twitch.tv/sakonoko_game

So what you're saying is that buffing fireballs would add to the defensive element of the game and require people who want to mount an offense to use meter.

:)

Fireballs are not a defense mechanic, because (like DPs) only certain characters have them.

Buffing fireballs will only make fireball characters better, and non-fireball characters worse.

If you want to buff defense in SF5, do it in a way where everyone can benefit. Not via fireballs or DPs.

Mizerman

It doesn't always take meter to get through fireballs, so it's kinda character specific. I like how Abigail was handled. He CAN get through the spam but it takes decent work and leaves him open if he doesn't choose the right option (block, backhand, v-skill). The more effort you put in it, the better you are off, though. Like if he tanks a few projectiles with his v-skill he gets v-meter. But blocking won't get you that.

But he can still be spaced out, spammed out, and use that meter that could be for a stupidly damaging combo to just ex-nitro run in which opens him up to getting bodied if the opponent reacts properly.

It's good.

Yeah, I'm surprised at how Abby turned out. In a good way.

What if they buffed both fireballs and anti-fireball things in such a way that good usage is rewarded with both? I feel like some characters could use that.

Yeah, I'm surprised at how Abby turned out. In a good way.

Abby gives me hope for the rest of the S3 boys. And if Abby is the standard for how the game is going, I'll be happy.

mbpm1

What if they buffed both fireballs and anti-fireball things in such a way that good usage is rewarded with both? I feel like some characters could use that.

Abby gives me hope for the rest of the S3 boys. And if Abby is the standard for how the game is going, I'll be happy.
But not s2? Menat am cry

I don't know why we need to discuss every time a pro player says they like or don't like the game. It's getting silly after a while because it's shitposting on either side and it's an eternal back and forth that'll never end.

But not s2? Menat am cry

Ahh yeah. I'm sure she'll be sick. The only DLC character I thought wasn't too good in terms of depth was Ed. Like I said, I want that v-trigger move to be a special of some sort. Somehow. All of his fancy stuff comes from that.

Glad to hear at least one person enjoys the game he plays

There have been others, just that those don't make good reddit posts.

Even Daigo in his recent Kotaku article said he was enjoying playing SF5 on the pro tour as the 'underdog': https://compete.kotaku.com/street-fighter-s-beast-is-now-an-underdog-1797757231

And, Daigo in the past has said he enjoys SF5...but when he offers the tiniest criticism it becomes "DAIGO HATES SF5!!!"

You could see on his stream when they were trying out Abigail a few weeks ago that they were having mad fun.
The 5v5 tournament this weekend was several hours of people clearly enjoying SF5: https://clips.twitch.tv/GorgeousEnthusiasticSnailTTours

mbpm1

There have been others, just that those don't make good reddit posts.

Even Daigo in his recent Kotaku article said he was enjoying playing SF5 on the pro tour as the 'underdog': https://compete.kotaku.com/street-fighter-s-beast-is-now-an-underdog-1797757231

And, Daigo in the past has said he enjoys SF5...but when he offers the tiniest criticism it becomes "DAIGO HATES SF5!!!"

You could see on his stream when they were trying out Abigail a few weeks ago that they were having mad fun.
The 5v5 tournament this weekend was several hours of people clearly enjoying SF5.

Glad to hear at least two dozen enjoy the game they play. At least it's more than the arcana heart scene

mbpm1

Ahh yeah. I'm sure she'll be sick. The only DLC character I thought wasn't too good in terms of depth was Ed. Like I said, I want that v-trigger move to be a special of some sort. Somehow. All of his fancy stuff comes from that.
Ed is interesting bc he feels like would be a flashy character but his gameplay is actually very dry

MrCarter

I don't know why we need to discuss every time a pro player says they like or don't like the game. It's getting silly after a while because it's shitposting on either side and it's an eternal back and forth that'll never end.

Yeah it's kind of sad. Both games have (in SFIV's case had) an audience so it clearly depends on the person and their specific taste. The only thing I don't get is that if SFIV was as liked as some people claim why has it disappeared off the face of the earth? lol.

Actually, I kinda hope Menat has traps or something neat like that.

Hmm I'm thinking more zoning orbs like Rose.

Top Bottom