• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V polls: What Capcom should do after Season 2 and Arcade Edition?

I honestly think it's high time that Morrigan be added to the Street Fighter cast.

Darkstalkers is dead and it's never coming back outside of crossover games. Morrigan, however, has a TON of appeal and is an incredibly popular character and it would draw a lot of eyes to SFV. Yes, her moveset would need some tweaking to work within a more grounded fighting game series like Street Fighter, but it's a shame that such a popular design is only getting play through crossover games and merchandising.

And I mean, I still don't think she'd be the most outlandish thing in SF. Not like there isn't a ton of mystical bullshit in those games anyway. If Tekken can get away with a vampire girl, why can't SF have a t-rated Succubus?

Very much agreed. Morrigan needs to join SF permanently.

Wonko_C

I honestly think it's high time that Morrigan be added to the Street Fighter cast.

Darkstalkers is dead and it's never coming back outside of crossover games. Morrigan, however, has a TON of appeal and is an incredibly popular character and it would draw a lot of eyes to SFV. Yes, her moveset would need some tweaking to work within a more grounded fighting game series like Street Fighter, but it's a shame that such a popular design is only getting play through crossover games and merchandising.

And I mean, I still don't think she'd be the most outlandish thing in SF. Not like there isn't a ton of mystical bullshit in those games anyway. If Tekken can get away with a vampire girl, why can't SF have a t-rated Succubus?

Morrigan was even in Super Gem Fighter, so it's not like there is no precedent.

I know SF is not the most realistic series ever (Necalli, LOL) but I would like to see her enter the series in her human form. (she can still throw bats and nobody would bat an eye) and maybe add her true form as her Halloween Costume.

7ITMJ66149GF0031.jpg

Nephtes

Is it safe to assume that your plan is to go into every SFV thread from now until 2020 and portbeg to hell and back?

Can't you move on?

I'm not sure how suggesting in this thread that SFV be dumped for multiplatform SFVI is port begging for SFV. Moreover, I'm not sure musing on Capcom's hindsight based on Tekken 7's successes constitute port begging either.
Your other pull quotes being from other threads, it would seem that you have no idea of my plans.

Honestly, I think I just like to bash Capcom as much as possible for their recent misguided business decisions, art direction woes, and general ineptitude when it comes to this generation... Not because I dislike Capcom, but rather because I remember a time when they were better. When they were at the top of their game. When they didn't give beloved characters 🍌 bananas 🍌 for hair.

As to moving on, I firmly believe Capcom should move on and refocus efforts on making SFVI after Arcade Edition and after a hiatus from fighting games. (And after fixing MvC:I first...)
I think the Street Fighter brand took too much of a hit with the initial release of SFV to make a come back with the casual player base needed to generate significant sales figures and might need to be dormant for a while, sad as that may be.

MrCarter

I'm not sure how suggesting in this thread that SFV be dumped for multiplatform SFVI is port begging for SFV. Moreover, I'm not sure musing on Capcom's hindsight based on Tekken 7's successes constitute port begging either.
Your other pull quotes being from other threads, it would seem that you have no idea of my plans.

Honestly, I think I just like to bash Capcom as much as possible for their recent misguided business decisions, art direction woes, and general ineptitude when it comes to this generation... Not because I dislike Capcom, but rather because I remember a time when they were better. When they were at the top of their game. When they didn't give beloved characters 🍌 bananas 🍌 for hair.

As to moving on, I firmly believe Capcom should move on and refocus efforts on making SFVI after Arcade Edition and after a hiatus from fighting games. (And after fixing MvC:I first...)
I think the Street Fighter brand took too much of a hit with the initial release of SFV to make a come back with the casual player base needed to generate significant sales figures and might need to be dormant for a while, sad as that may be.

Not happening, this game still has years to go fortunately. Art direction is better than Tekken 7 and the previous entry in the series. This would also sell far more on Switch than Xbox.

Espada

There's definitely some major things I think they should prioritize going forward:

- Fix the loading times. My goodness, it's inexplicable why the game takes as long as it does to load.

- Continue adding substantial single player content to the game with each season. Maybe next season add World Tour mode, the one after that add Dramatic battle, and local/online co-op capability so people can team up with their friends in these, eventually add some simple beat 'em up mode once you have enough stages to use as levels, etc...
Things like this will only improve the value of the title moving forward as well as increase the game's visibility and mindshare.

- Each season should be a mix of brand new and returning characters, to snag people who are on the fence and add fresh new characters and combat styles to the franchise for later use.

A steady stream of single player content, multiplayer fixes and events, and new characters will do a lot to net the game more sales.

groansey

They should definitely add the dolls. Doesn't matter if they mostly have similar movesets. Some of them are cool. And the models exist. No brainer.

nded

They should definitely add the dolls. Doesn't matter if they mostly have similar movesets. Some of them are cool. And the models exist. No brainer.

Just add Decapre. Her move set is the most unique and already partially implemented, plus her V-System could be Mahvel style assists from the other dolls.

Oh god no don't waste any more money on the dolls the great thing about SFV is the clone characters have been kept to a minimum or non-existent for the most part. Unless they do something crazy and make The Dolls as 1 character some sort of mob character where all the dolls are on the screen at once.

Neoxon

Honestly, I think I just like to bash Capcom as much as possible for their recent misguided business decisions, art direction woes, and general ineptitude when it comes to this generation... Not because I dislike Capcom, but rather because I remember a time when they were better. When they were at the top of their game. When they didn't give beloved characters �� bananas �� for hair.

But logistically speaking, it would have been 4 years since the launch of SFV by the time Season 5 wraps up, & likely another 2+ years before SFVI launches. There's no real need to discontinue SFV support just to focus on SFVI . And if they do that hiatus like you want, it'd be around the same amount of time between SFV & SFVI (& likely a similarly-sized launch roster, going by SF's tradition of starting the roster from scratch for each numbered entry). This isn't even mentioning the CPT, which is doing great with SFV at the helm. It's not like SFV's very existence & continued support is killing the SF brand.

groansey

Oh god no don't waste any more money on the dolls the great thing about SFV is the clone characters have been kept to a minimum or non-existent for the most part. Unless they do something crazy and make The Dolls as 1 character some sort of mob character where all the dolls are on the screen at once.

One character slot but selecting it let's choose any of the dolls like an outfit and each has a couple of unique moves.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Personally, as a fan of the franchise for several decades, and as someone who’s put thousands of hours into series, Street Fighter 5 has been from the beginning, and continues to be to this day, the worst mainline Street Fighter game ever released by a WIDE margin.

Utter shit characters — not one newcomer in the lineup has real appeal.

Tired mechanics — I’ll be honest, I vastly prefer Street Fighter 4 in every possible way.

Continued insistence on poor output. Can someone over there please get fired so this game can head in a positive direction?

Neoxon

Personally, as a fan of the franchise for several decades, and as someone who's put thousands of hours into series, Street Fighter 5 has been from the beginning, and continues to be to this day, the worst mainline Street Fighter game ever released by a WIDE margin.

Tired mechanics — I'll be honest, I vastly prefer Street Fighter 4 in every possible way.

Continued insistence on poor output. Can someone over there please get fired so this game can head in a positive direction?
  • I get that everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but saying that Rashid, Menat, & Zeku are worse than Rufus, El Fuerte, Twelve, & Remy is pushing it a bit. Rashid & Menat in particular have taken off by a lot in terms of fan reception (& Zeku's on his way to join those two). Laura, Kolin, Ed, & (surprisingly) Abigail also enjoy some love in the fanbase, though not on the level of Rashid or Menat (or, at this rate, Zeku).
  • What do you mean by "tired" mechanics? I understand that SFV could use some more defensive options, but SFIV clearly has its own set of problems (some of which being related to Focus Attack, though the likes of invincible back-dashes were also an issue).

MrCarter

Tired mechanics — I’ll be honest, I vastly prefer Street Fighter 4 in every possible way.

When you say no newcomer in SFV has no real appeal and prefer SF4 then I can’t take you seriously.

Just copy all the features that Street Fighter 3 alpha had for the home console ps port.

anyone remember what they are?

It was dramatic battles ( 3 people on screen)

and an RPG like mode , where you would LV up right?

They should replace every bit of story-mode artwork, it is so bad compared to any art the series had in the past.

Like, random DeviantArt stuff is above this.

Ugh, I wish I remembered this when I filled it out. I think I blocked it out.

It is really sad. Did they give him like 48 hours to do the entire set of pieces?

They should drop the game. Seriously it's impossible to support this game. I can't even consider picking it back up because of the huge price required to stay competitive. I either have to drop 100s of hours into unfun modes and shitty online or blow $40+ to get all the DLC characters. It's asking too much. It's this drip character DLC that makes it impossible to get back into the game. Nearly half the cast is DLC now, by season 3 over half the cast will be DLC and Capcom will be asking for another $40+.

Lulubop

They should drop the game. Seriously it's impossible to support this game. I can't even consider picking it back up because of the huge price required to stay competitive. I either have to drop 100s of hours into unfun modes and shitty online or blow $40+ to get all the DLC characters. It's asking too much. It's this drip character DLC that makes it impossible to get back into the game. Nearly half the cast is DLC now, by season 3 over half the cast will be DLC and Capcom will be asking for another $40+.

Back and still terrible I see.

Nephtes

Chun looks perfectly fine in V, unlike Ibuki or Kolin.

Wut?
Ibuki looks great in both her default outfit and her throwback ninja gear.
The only thing ridiculous about Ibuki's look is that her mask in all her DLC costumes is glued to her face so she can't remove it in her win pose...unlike her default costume's mask, which operates properly.

Of all of my completely legitimate complaints about SFV (which are numerous), Ibuki's updated design isn't one of them.

Improve netcode and lobbies to be on par with MVCI and I'll be perfectly happy with the game. I'm mostly fine with the balance as it is, just buff the weaker characters a bit, weaken Ibuki a bit (remove midscreen left/right 50/50s) and obliterate Balrog.

I don't really care about more single player content but their arcade mode concept seems cool.

poodaddy

Neoxon

I take it that you prefer Super/AE/Ultra versions (which would be fine as long as they don't lock balance changes behind a paywall). Though given that they started from scratch for the base roster & how long they plan to support the game, the point where the DLC characters outnumber the base roster is kinda inevitable. I don't really see that as a reason to stop supporting the game, & I wouldn't be surprised if we got a USFV with all 5 seasons worth of DLC characters at the end (we're getting AE in 2018, 2 years after SFV's launch, so another physical release would probably come 2 years after that).

Going back to SFIV, Super added 10 characters, AE added 4 characters, & Ultra added 5 characters. If you want to get technical, the arcade version started with 16 characters (+3 bosses that were added later), with the console version adding 6 characters on top of that. So counting the original 19 of SFIV arcade, 25 characters were added over the course of SFIV's life (19 if you subtract the console additions).

Spman2099

Time for the Final Fight army to crash this game. Cody, Sodom, and Lucia. Let's do this, boys. Obviously SF classics like Sagat, Sakura, and Dan should be present as well.

Make me happy, Capcom!

Top Bottom