• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Roster Discussion: P-P-P-P-PATTERN BREAKER

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowai

Seriously man, where are the female fighters? At this point the 3 remaining new fighters would have to be females to have any semblance of a decent gender ratio

I think it's a pretty safe bet that at least one of the new characters will be female...I hope at least.

Shadoken

Wait why do people suddenly believe the game is going to be 50-40% female? SF has normally never had a lot of female characters is the first revision.

SF 2 just had one ( though I'll skip this, since games barely had any female characters Back then )

SF Alpha,SF3 NG and vanilla SF 4 had 2

I think it's safe to say SF 5 is going to have 4 ( maybe 5) female characters. 1 of the new characters is going to be female for sure.

Clawww

maybe the 3S chars are coming in their own DLC expansion featuring new story mode stuff (+Guile)

Gameplaywise, the most interesting thing about this reveal is that V-Trigger can also just be a move. That makes the system even more variable.

damn nash came back to life and ppl still forgot about him

nowai

You keep calling Mika a clown but she's actually based pretty well off the strain of women's wrestling that you see in japan and from tournies like Shimmer, which feature flamboyant costumes and masks and whatnot :3

I mean....
Rmika-buttattack.gif
haha yaaa

She acts so goofy like Fuerte or Hakan I just can't take her seriously.

I originally asked what people found appealing about her, but got some hostile knee jerk reactions instead. Grapplers in general are not as popular in fighting games and I can't see people clamoring to play one in all of a sudden. People seem very defensive about Mika in general and I'm simply curious why.

Scotia

Banned
maybe the 3S chars are coming in their own DLC expansion featuring new story mode stuff (+Guile)

We'll get SF6 with the same SF2 characters again before we get that, not that I don't want it 'cause that'd be amazing. I just don't trust/believe in the Street Fighter team anymore to be creative with their roster.

Noema

The other two returning vets will be Gief and Sim, nobody plays like them and they are iconic as hell. Tons of casuals instantly recognize then and play as them.

Birdie sort of occupies the same niche as Gief (big slow grappler / command grab centric) I'd be surprised to see him in the OG SFV roster. He'll make it, eventually. Everyone will make it into the game eventually.

Man, I remember when Nash was revealed and all I thought was 'Wow, this means anyone can come back!' and now I'm sitting here honestly debating whether or not I can be bothered with this series anymore if all we're going to get is the same characters re-hashed.

Honestly this game is so different from IV in terms of mechanics it doesn't matter how many of the cast from that game return. They might as well be different characters.

I mean Vega has a command grab, Ryu has a shit fireball but hits like a truck. Nash is a rush down character, etc.

This game is all about subverting SF.

nowai

Wait why do people suddenly believe the game is going to be 50-40% female? SF has normally never had a lot of female characters is the first revision.

I don't think anyone is believing that that cast will be 40-50% female. At this point, I think people are just hoping for one to two more.

Shadoken

Has the Vega artwork been released? Would like to see which stage he gets. I am guessing he will share the shdaloo base stage with bison.

Out if the stages we have seen I think

New Zealand = necalli / Nash ( perhaps the haven't finished the part where you can break into the part with the illuminati statues )

London = birdie / Cammy

Shdaloo - Vega / bison

China - Chun/?

Japan - Ryu/ Karin?

Brazil - Laura/ blanka?

Zerojul

Well it seems I'm in the minority here but I'm quite pleased by the Claw reveal, he looks interesting and I may very well give him a shot if my main isn't in the final core roster. But for Pete's sake please, please fix his face.

Skilletor

I mean....
Rmika-buttattack.gif
haha yaaa

I originally asked what people found appealing about her, but got some hostile knee jerk reactions instead. Grapplers in general are not as popular in fighting games and I can't see people clamoring to play one in all of a sudden. People seem very defensive about Mika in general and I'm simply curious why.

She's mobile, her normals were great, interesting, super meaty. She had a really interesting moveset. Some people are probably defensive because it gets old to hear the only reason people like a character is because of sex appeal. She's not even sexy to me. She's goofy and childlike.

Trickster

SF 2 just had one ( though I'll skip this, since games barely had any female characters Back then )

SF Alpha,SF3 NG and vanilla SF 4 had 2

I think it's safe to say SF 5 is going to have 4 ( maybe 5) female characters. 1 of the new characters is going to be female for sure.

Having a poor track record with gender ratio isn't really an excuse to keep having a bad one. They have plenty of female fighters to choose from, many that are very popular

I mean....
Rmika-buttattack.gif
haha yaaa

Well the wrestling she's based off isn't very serious either... it has the same sort of pantomime quality you get from rainbow herself :D

As for the responses they didn't seem all that hostile outside of my knee-jerk reaction to the line 'plenty of females' but that's not really Mika related ^.^;
The question keeps getting brought up a lot so I can imagine some people get kind of tired of answering it though, especially as often it's not a genuine question but rather a veiled platform for someone to say how they dislike the character, as happened much earlier in this thread when it devolved into someone screaming that she was pure smut :p

Mik317

This came out of nowhere but does not kill the "rumors" yet. Juri was the assumption and the one who wasnt "leaked". Urien, Alex, Karin, and Mika can still happen....however they are all on thin ice for sure lol.

As for the male to female ratio...relax. One of the newcomers will be a female for sure and I imagine one of the returnees also will be. 4/16 isn't amazing but the way the DLC will be handled I am sure there will be more on the way.

nowai

She's mobile, her normals were great, interesting, super meaty. She had a really interesting moveset. Some people are probably defensive because it gets old to hear the only reason people like a character is because of sex appeal. She's not even sexy to me. She's goofy and childlike.

Sex appeal?! That's awful. I'm right there with you on goofy and childlike.

As for the agile grappler, that was in my original post. That's what I figured.

Shadoken

Having a poor track record with gender ratio isn't really an excuse to keep having a bad one. They have plenty of female fighters to choose from, many that are very popular

That's an entirely different argument,

all I am saying is This is what what I am assuming we WILL get based on the info we have and their previous track record. Not what we NEED to or SHOULD get.

Also 4-5 female is pretty much the same ratio as most other fighters? Except Doa but well yea that's an exception because reasons.

Seriously man, where are the female fighters? At this point the 3 remaining new fighters would have to be females to have any semblance of a decent gender ratio
Capcom is playing this one safer than a shoto with a life lead and 5 seconds until timeout. Expect Juri and a new female fighter at best.

Also 4-5 female is pretty much the same ratio as most other fighters? Except Doa but well yea that's an exception because reasons.

DoA5 actually has a decent percentage of male characters in its roster too (just under half), it's just that people don't seem to notice/remember them as much :p

notworksafe

Sex appeal?! That's awful. I'm right there with you on goofy and childlike.

As for the agile grappler, that was in my original post. That's what I figured.

Yeah basically a grappler with some movement skills. Plus she's a hilarious character, SF just isn't SF without a few goofballs imo.

Tizoc

Has the Vega artwork been released? Would like to see which stage he gets. I am guessing he will share the shdaloo base stage with bison.

New Zealand = necalli / Nash ( perhaps the haven't finished the part where you can break into the part with the illuminati statues )

London = birdie / Cammy

Shdaloo - Vega / bison

China - Chun/?

Japan - Ryu/ Karin?

Brazil - Laura/ blanka?

That's a good theory.

Son Of D

I feel like this game will balloon from 16 characters to 25 pretty quickly. Within the first year or something. Then eventually it'll balloon back up to 40. I'm not really sweating the details of the cast it launches with. As long as it's solid enough.

Monthly characters is something I expect. It's a steady pace. So presuming that this game releases in March we could get to 25 by the end of 2016. Although it's possible that we'll get more than 1 character a month at special occasions. But my guess is 25 characters by the end of 2016

London = birdie / Cammy

Shdaloo - Vega / bison

China - Chun/?

Japan - Ryu/ Karin?

Brazil - Laura/ blanka?
Is Karin from Japan?

Zubz

Banned
Akuma's inclusion is certain. I don't want him, but he's too popular.

I still think that Capcom might show some restraint and save him for the first batch of DLC I mean, changes to the latter or not, we already have both Ryu and Ken. Still, if those remaining 2 green spots really are for SFII vets, we could be seeing Akuma in the base game.

I think Vega being in means probably a larger chance for characters like Sagat, Juri and Rose, who are connected to Shadowloo by the storyline.

But he breaks the "all characters in SF5 were in Alpha 2" trend.

Vega being in SF5 does make me wonder if there is some heavy pressure on SF 5 team to maintain a core roster that most people would recognize ( outside of street fighter fans).
So 8 world warriors would cover that..

vg260

Vega being in SF5 does make me wonder if there is some heavy pressure on SF 5 team to maintain a core roster that most people would recognize ( outside of street fighter fans).
So 8 world warriors would cover that..

Yeah, that's my thought as well.

That's why I don't think that 8 includes Juri, Cody, Rose, and some of the Alpha or SF3 characters.

KAL2006

Banned
Updated my roster:

esU7931.png

Yes please.

Does not make sense at all

This is the likely scenario

Green
Ryu
Ken
Chunli
Bison
Cammy
Vega (above Bison)
- Zangief (or Feilong above Cammy)
- Dhalsim (or Guile next to Chunli)

Blue
Charlie
Birdie
- Juri
- Insert SF3 character (I reckon Urien)

Purple
4 newbies including Necalli

Ok, so, fun thought/observation:

Imagine that Vega gets parked next to Bison as in Roo's personal roster. In the old SF2/4 section that would mean all the characters are next to someone they are tied to in the story:

Ryu - Ken = do I even have to talk about this? :p
Chun-li - Vega = Everyone remembers the fight in SF2 animated movie don't they? Vega being sent to assassinate her is a fairly common storyline in a lot of the streetfighter stuff :3
Vega - Bison = vega works (worked?) for bison
Bison - Cammy = Cammy was one of Bison's dolls

So... with that in mind who would go next to Ken? and does the same apply to Charlie and Birdie? :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom