• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Roster Discussion: P-P-P-P-PATTERN BREAKER

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

If that's SF2 in green (which would put Juri into the blue section) and they're ordered in release order, that would make it 2/5 of

Blanka
Sim
Gief
Honda
Guile

Blanka/Sim are unlikely due to the newbies hailing from their countries- and Gief/Guile are way more iconic than Honda to the series. (In addition to Honda's playstyle being something they're not fans of.)

This would move Juri to the blue section, so Zangief/Guile/Juri/X. I would expect Alex as DLC at that point then (4 blonde male Americans in the starting roster? Seems unlikely.)

SephLuis

Green is SF2

Blue is Non SF2 (as in Alpha, 3 and 4)

I thought green was returning characters from SF 4 and purple old characters that weren't in SF4.

This would make the purple area for characters like R Mika, Urien and Alex, while the one of the remaining green has to be (I hope) Juri.

Btw, when is the Paris event ? I think Capcom might show another character there.

KAL2006

Banned
Ok, so, fun thought/observation:

Imagine that Vega gets parked next to Bison as in Roo's personal roster. In the old SF2/4 section that would mean all the characters are next to someone they are tied to in the story:

Ryu - Ken = do I even have to talk about this? :p
Chun-li - Vega = Everyone remembers the fight in SF2 animated movie don't they? Vega being sent to assassinate her is a fairly common storyline in a lot of the streetfighter stuff :3
Vega - Bison = vega works (worked?) for bison
Bison - Cammy = Cammy was one of Bison's dolls

So... with that in mind who would go next to Ken? and does the same apply to Charlie and Birdie? :3

Or it could be mininsection of SF2 characters

First 4 slots are World Warrior
Ryu
Ken
Chunli
Dhalsim

Second 2 slots are Bosses
Vega
Bison

Final 2 slots are New Challengers
Feilong
Cammy

Basically they cut SF2 roster in half. Out of the world Warriors they took out 4 (Blanka, Honda, Guile and Zangief). Out of the Bosses they took out 2 (Balrog and Sagat). Out of the New challah gers they took out 2 (T Hawk and Deejay).

KAL2006

Banned
I thought green was returning characters from SF 4 and purple old characters that weren't in SF4.

This would make the purple area for characters like R Mika, Urien and Alex, while the one of the remaining green has to be (I hope) Juri.

Btw, when is the Paris event ? I think Capcom might show another character there.

I doubt green is returning SF4 characters. I think that's just people hoping for a diverse roster of non SF2 characters reaching so they can have more new characters. But in reality it's just SF2 characters. They have already announced 6 SF2 characters that can't be a coincidence. They only need 2 more to cover the green section with SF2 characters which is likely to happen.

mattp

do you guys think its possible the leaks arent necessarily wrong, and that all those characters will be in the game? but maybe capcom has more than the initial 16 characters ready (or in development, i should say), but the decision on which characters to put in the initial bunch and which to hold back as dlc are still being made?

Razzorn34

do you guys think its possible the leaks arent necessarily wrong, and that all those characters will be in the game? but maybe capcom has more than the initial 16 characters ready (or in development, i should say), but the decision on which characters to put in the initial bunch and which to hold back as dlc are still being made?

Certainly. As it's looking now, all of the more bland characters will be in the initial roster. Leaving people to have to shell out for DLC for anyone remotely interesting. Yay.

Mista Koo

Why would Juri be in the blue part?
Because people like to think their assumptions are facts.

I'm almost certain that the green part is for SF4 veterans, whether we actually get anyone not from SF2 is a different matter. But I don't see us getting Juri (or Sakura, Dudley, etc.) in the blue part.

kirblar

We are definitely going to know a few of the characters who are on-deck for DLC when the game launches - gotta give people a goal to earn that fight money for.

vg260

Yes.

Probably like SFxT in that regard (thought probably not as many), just kept off-disc and secret.

Lupinko had leaked the SFxT cast but some weren't there day one. Turns out he was right, but they were "dlc".

Or it could be mininsection of SF2 characters

First 4 slots are World Warrior
Ryu
Ken
Chunli
Dhalsim

Second 2 slots are Bosses
Vega
Bison

Final 2 slots are New Challengers
Feilong
Cammy

Basically they cut SF2 roster in half. Out of the world Warriors they took out 4 (Blanka, Honda, Guile and Zangief). Out of the Bosses they took out 2 (Balrog and Sagat). Out of the New challah gers they took out 2 (T Hawk and Deejay).

Took me a few seconds to realise you meant sectioned vertically rather than horizontally XD
Sounds like a collection of wildly uninteresting characters to me but because it's a roster that doesn't appeal to me even remotely I think you're probably bang on the money :p

Scotia

Banned

This is a good possibility. Someone mentioned earlier that Vega might have been a DLC character but they decided to switch things around and have him put into the main roster instead (for unknown reasons although Jamie Lee Curtis cosplaying as Vega at Evo probably helped). I wouldn't be surprised if there are other characters that were supposed to be in the main roster that are now DLC and vice-versa.

Pachinko

For those complaining about a lack of female characters , you aren't wrong to do so but here's a brief history lesson -

SF2 had 1 girl out of 8 total characters. 1/8

By SSF2T there were 2 girls out of 17 characters (although I don't think you could play as akuma, he was still technically in the game) aprox. 1/8

SFA had 13 characters (counting hidden ones) and only 2 were women , only 1 was new to the series. aprox. 1/6

SFA2 managed 18 total characters , only 3 were women , 2 from alpha 1 and 1 new one. aprox. 1/6

SFA3 by the time they stopped updating it had 37 characters (counting all the home versions) and 9 of them were women. aprox 1/4

SF3 had 11 characters (counting gill), just 2 were women. 1/5
SF3 third strike had 20 characters , just 4 were women. 1/5

SF4 launched with 17 characters in the arcade , just 3 were women. aprox 1/5
Ultra SF4 has 44 characters , just 10 were women. aprox 1/4.

SF and most fighting games in general have a history of fairly low female representation. I don't see that changing going forward in SF's case simply because , even out of the entire franchise history there are only about 60 characters total that have been in at least 1 game and only 16 of them are women - in other words , expect a ratio of 1/4.

So that means , given that Cammy and Chun are already in , we have 1 new character and 1 more returning character that will more than likely be women. As others have said, Karin isn't going to be back without Sakura. Looking at the roster of past games there's also a pattern of only about 1 grappler for every 8 total and we've got Birdie filling that roll for returning cast members with Necalli looking to fill the role for new characters - this means , sadly, that we probably aren't getting R. Mika (or alex for that matter). That leaves Juri as the most likely option to fill in that third returning slot.

-SF2 returning cast-
Ken
Ryu
Chun Li
Bison
Vega
Cammy
*Blanka (too many hints dropped and he's also unique)
*Guile (foil for Nash who has gone offensive, guile could still play defensive)

-SFA returning cast-
Birdie
Nash

-SF3 returning cast -
*Urien (dropping in hints to SF3's plot, I think sfv takes place just before 3)

-SF4 returning cast-
*Juri (fan favorite, easy to convert her play style to V's engine)

-NEW to SF5
Necalli

This could then translate into DLC characters carrying a theme with them -Rose, Karin and Sakura come as a ladies of SFA pack with their own little story mode addition. Haggar, Cody and Guy could show up as a final fight Heroes DLC, Poison, Hugo,Rolento in a FF villains DLC and even SF3 could get it's own DLC pack - throw in Alex, Dudley and Q. Akuma and Gouken and maybe evil ryu/oni could all get in with a Gods and Demons Shoto pack.

sf5-roster-predict1.jpg
Here's my guess as to how the green section is formatted.

First two columns: Playable characters from SFII: The World Warrior. Includes Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, and a yet to be revealed character (either Guile, Honda, Dhalsim, Blanka, or Zangief).
Third column: Characters made playable in SFII: Championship Edition. Bison and Vega, Dictator and Claw, whatever.
Fourth column: Characters introduced in SSFII. Cammy and a yet to be revealed character (either Fei Long, Dee Jay, or T. Hawk).

Edit: beaten.

KAL2006

Banned
For those complaining about a lack of female characters , you aren't wrong to do so but here's a brief history lesson -

SF2 had 1 girl out of 8 total characters. 1/8

By SSF2T there were 2 girls out of 17 characters (although I don't think you could play as akuma, he was still technically in the game) aprox. 1/8

SFA had 13 characters (counting hidden ones) and only 2 were women , only 1 was new to the series. aprox. 1/6

SFA2 managed 18 total characters , only 3 were women , 2 from alpha 1 and 1 new one. aprox. 1/6

SFA3 by the time they stopped updating it had 37 characters (counting all the home versions) and 9 of them were women. aprox 1/4

SF3 had 11 characters (counting gill), just 2 were women. 1/5
SF3 third strike had 20 characters , just 4 were women. 1/5

SF4 launched with 17 characters in the arcade , just 3 were women. aprox 1/5
Ultra SF4 has 44 characters , just 10 were women. aprox 1/4.

SF and most fighting games in general have a history of fairly low female representation. I don't see that changing going forward in SF's case simply because , even out of the entire franchise history there are only about 60 characters total that have been in at least 1 game and only 16 of them are women - in other words , expect a ratio of 1/4.

So that means , given that Cammy and Chun are already in , we have 1 new character and 1 more returning character that will more than likely be women. As others have said, Karin isn't going to be back without Sakura. Looking at the roster of past games there's also a pattern of only about 1 grappler for every 8 total and we've got Birdie filling that roll for returning cast members with Necalli looking to fill the role for new characters - this means , sadly, that we probably aren't getting R. Mika (or alex for that matter). That leaves Juri as the most likely option to fill in that third returning slot.

-SF2 returning cast-
Ken
Ryu
Chun Li
Bison
Vega
Cammy
*Blanka (too many hints dropped and he's also unique)
*Guile (foil for Nash who has gone offensive, guile could still play defensive)

-SFA returning cast-
Birdie
Nash

-SF3 returning cast -
*Urien (dropping in hints to SF3's plot, I think sfv takes place just before 3)

-SF4 returning cast-
*Juri (fan favorite, easy to convert her play style to V's engine)

-NEW to SF5
Necalli

This could then translate into DLC characters carrying a theme with them -Rose, Karin and Sakura come as a ladies of SFA pack with their own little story mode addition. Haggar, Cody and Guy could show up as a final fight Heroes DLC, Poison, Hugo,Rolento in a FF villains DLC and even SF3 could get it's own DLC pack - throw in Alex, Dudley and Q. Akuma and Gouken and maybe evil ryu/oni could all get in with a Gods and Demons Shoto pack.

Pretty much agree with everything you said except for Blanka and Guile. I suspect Guile will be saved for DLC. I reckon we have enough Americans and blondes, they will add Dhalsim for nationality diversity as well as play style diversity. As for Blanka on reckon those hints are trolling for a new Brazil Character. We already have a beast looking character with Necalli. I suspect Zangief or Feilong will replace Blanka.

So in conclusion

Replace Guile with Dhalsim
Replace Blanka with Zangief or Feilong

vg260

This is a good possibility. Someone mentioned earlier that Vega might have been a DLC character but they decided to switch things around and have him put into the main roster instead (for unknown reasons although Jamie Lee Curtis cosplaying as Vega at Evo probably helped). I wouldn't be surprised if there are other characters that were supposed to be in the main roster that are now DLC and vice-versa.

I think it's more likely the initial roster is decided and they have DLC in development as well.
There's supposedly a story mode and a lot of thought goes into this sort of thing, so I doubt they're swapping characters in and out at this stage I especially doubt they're changing their roadmap because Jamie Lee Curtis dressed like this character at Evo.

the first developer in history to switch up their years of development plans in a month's notice due to leaks.

"Jamie Lee Curtis? Delay R Mika's release by a year and make her an individual payed option. She'll sell just like Predator and Jason in MKX"

Interestingly they said they're going to have Vega playable at gamecom for people to try out. They did this before with Ken, but not with Necali. Makes me wonder if there's any rhyme or reason to that.

kirblar

Interestingly they said they're going to have Vega playable at gamecom for people to try out. They did this before with Ken, but not with Necali. Makes me wonder if there's any rhyme or reason to that.
This makes me think there's another reveal coming, given the timing of the video release.

AtticuSMT

Banned
Ok, so I started a new job last week so I have been off the radar for a while but came back this morning (Vega reveal hype, Vega main here)

And suddenly I'm seeing two names thrown around non stop and wondering what I missed, who is Laura and who is Sherry, Google doesn't spit back much but "leak" stuff but nothing real or concrete... Or is it just that lol.

Have I missed anything else?

Ok, so I started a new job last week so I have been off the radar for a while but came back this morning (Vega reveal hype, Vega main here)

And suddenly I'm seeing two names thrown around non stop and wondering what I missed, who is Laura and who is Sherry, Google doesn't spit back much but "leak" stuff but nothing real or concrete... Or is it just that lol.

Have I missed anything else?
Laura is one of the names mentioned by Ken Bogard: the only leaker so far to be entirely accurate. All we have is the name. Some people attach her to the three locations Bogard also mentioned with the assumption that she's from Brazil.

Sherry is from a debunked leak that was thrown out a long time back :3

Scotia

Banned
My new bet: Juri moved from initial roster to DLC:

2rUK0VHU.png

If only.

Also, just wanted to point out that I wasn't serious about the Jamie Lee Curtis thing. I thought what I put sounded sarcastic but I guess not. I still think some DLC characters have swapped around with some of the main roster characters but that stuff was obviously decided months ago.

Shadoken

Honestly the Vega reveal is just epic in that its thrown everybody off on who is going in or not xD

Right now there is absolutely no character who is a "lock" or not. All bets are off , man characters have a chance of making in.

Vega is pretty solid addition , he checks a good number of boxes.

1 - Unique character gameplay type
2 - Unique Country and Race? representation ( from what we have so far at least)
3 - Pretty iconic and mainstream , appeared in a number of licensed goods
4 - Popular among fans mid-high tier in the character poll , despite appearing in almost every game.

ZdkDzk

I doubt it. There are only 16 characters I'm sure they don't want unload this early when the game is out next March.

There's 6 months (excluding august) and 8 characters left. They could easily drop two this month and still have one to spare.

So, when can we expect the next reveal? TGS I'm guessing. And I feel we'll get another double reveal like at E3, maybe triple, who knows. But they seem to be pacing the reveal well, which is encouraging.

Shadoken

Honestly as much as I want Urien and Alex. Lets be realistic , everything right now is pointing to that green box as SF2 OG cast.

People bringing up the SF1 argument and stuff , I mean cmon. Thats not Capcom's thinking , As far as they and the world is concerned SF2 started SF.

It also makes sense in that half the roster is instantly recognizable and the other half is new.

R. Mika should at least be a DLC later on. If she's never destined to be in SF V that would bum me out.
Unless my acquaintance was winding me up, she's in. No idea if core or DLC though, but she's already far enough along to be playable (aka do combos and stuff)
I don't have any reason not to believe him and he'd be in a position to potentially know but there's always that niggling doubt ¬.¬

Scotia

Banned
Seeing as the green box is now undoubtedly SF2 characters (yay
/s
), the only two characters I would like to return from 2 now are Guile and Balrog but knowing my luck it'll be Zangief and Dhalsim, yuck. I still think the blue box will be Urien and Juri although seeing as Urien's from 3 they'll probably replace him with R Mika or some other non-3 character.

My new bet: Juri moved from initial roster to DLC:

2rUK0VHU.png

My gut feeling here is that they'll have at least one character from each of the main 4 entries, so she'll remain (if the leaks & suggestions are correct).

Out of interest - does the 'characters with a big Omega overhaul likely to be in SF5' theory hold up with Vega? What were his Omega changes like?

Shadoken

Seeing as the green box is now undoubtedly SF2 characters (yay
/s
), the only two characters I would like to return from 2 now are Guile and Balrog but knowing my luck it'll be Zangief and Dhalsim, yuck. I still think the blue box will be Urien and Juri although seeing as Urien's from 3 they'll probably replace him with R Mika or some other non-3 character.

Kinda makes sense. That way every blue box character is from 1 other series.

Birdie - SF1
Charlie - SF Alpha
Urien - SF 3
Juri - SF 4

Scotia

Banned
Unless my acquaintance was winding me up, she's in. No idea if core or DLC though, but she's already far enough along to be playable (aka do combos and stuff)
I don't have any reason not to believe him and he'd be in a position to potentially know but there's always that niggling doubt ¬.¬

Ask your acquaintance why Capcom hate 3rd Strike so much.

I hope they don't waste a slot by putting R.mika in the initial roster. If it were up to me i would use the last 4 slots like this:

1. Guile(but that's because i always use him since SF2)/ Urien
2. Alex
3. Q
4. Oro

Someone on Gamefaqs (yeah, I know, I know :p) had an interesting theory/observation that up until now we've had the following pattern:

Ryu and Chun-Li (1M1F)
Nash and M.Bison (2M)
Birdie and Cammy (1M1F)
Ken and Necalli (2M)

so if you believe there's a pattern then it goes one male and female reveal, male reveal, male reveal, male and female reveal.

if there's any real substance to theory then we could be looking at a female reveal during gamescom, but it's just a theory... A GAME THEORY :p

Haha, I'm sure he'd have something to say to that XD

I hope they don't waste a slot by putting R.mika in the initial roster. If it were up to me i would use the last 4 slots like this:

2. Alex
3. Q
4. Oro

You wasted 4 slots :p

SF3 was didn't do well casuals and didn't sell well at all. Sent the entire SF series to the darkest depths of FG graveyard. Until SFIV resurrected the series and brought fighting game genre back to main stream. Capcom don't want to associate themselves with 3s which is a shame because that game is really good. And the characters capcom created there just as good as original WW.

Lulubop

2. Alex
3. Q
4. Oro

How does that even fit with the Capcom roster imagine?

Anyway, getting worried about Alex missing the initial cut =/.

I can see the blue being Juri and Urien, and the green actually being sf2 characters. How boring.

Someone on Gamefaqs (yeah, I know, I know :p) had an interesting theory/observation that up until now we've had the following pattern:

Ryu and Chun-Li (1M1F)
Nash and M.Bison (2M)
Birdie and Cammy (1M1F)
Ken and Necalli (2M)

so if you believe there's a pattern then it goes one male and female reveal, male reveal, male reveal, male and female reveal.

if there's any real substance to theory then we could be looking at a female reveal during gamescom, but it's just a theory... A GAME THEORY :p

Haha, I'm sure he'd have something to say to that XD

You wasted 4 slots :p

Haha thats cool man. How would you use up the last 4 slots? I don't mind them bringing in 2 alpha and 2 3s for the last 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom