• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken PC Coming, Console Release Mar 6 [Like ME3/XCOM/Ghost Recon]

Degen

No Bry No Buy

So the last 6 teasers are most likely going out of their way to de-confirm 12 characters?

only ono.

Man, lol so many mechanics in this game I'm loving it. I'm sure that Gem system will be optional, but either way it's definitely nice to have other fun ways to play the game if I just get tired of standard fighting AND there's ways to actually fight 2 players vs 2 players plus online training mode.....ugh... Let Online training mode become a standard for fighting games next please.

Ferrio

Banned
QisTopTier said:
These will be avalible at all tourneys or they will just be banned. Next?

I think it might just be a headache for them, especially if it devolves into DLC madness. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

QisTopTier said:
How? Like honestly think for a second how this could hurt the tourney scene for the game. Then explain it to me. I could list quite a few examples of how this shit will actually make the game more exciting :p
For players:
Learning your match ups is hard enough with a game that has nearly 40 characters. Now having to learn what 40+ gems do and what that combination may cause for a specific team is just overwhelming.

For Organizers:
How are these unlocked? Will every single console used need to be played a ton or have some dlc code bought to unlock them all? Time is of the essence at these tournaments and adding a complicated process of players going through a bunch of gems to select prior to the match will slow things down a ton.

My guess is there will be an option to turn them off to save tournaments the headaches. I just hope there is an online mode without them as well.

Purely option sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ferrio said:
I think it might just be a headache for them, especially if it devolves into DLC madness. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.
I just like it for the fact that it lets people make characters *when possible * match their play style. There wont be a straight up best ryu player now for example, there will be a best power hitter ryu or best speed ryu. It's kinda like the grove system in cvs2 but different as well.
CountAntonius said:
For players:
Learning your match ups is hard enough with a game that has nearly 40 characters. Now having to learn what 40+ gems do and what that combination may cause for a specific team is just overwhelming.

For Organizers:
How are these unlocked? Will every single console used need to be played a ton or have some dlc code bought to unlock them all? Time is of the essence at these tournaments and adding a complicated process of players going through a bunch of gems to select prior to the match will slow things down a ton.

My guess is there will be an option to turn them off to save tournaments the headaches. I just hope there is an online mode without them as well.

Purely option sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

For the players that just makes the game more complex in the long run which gives it longer legs always something new will be discovered from certain team and gem set ups.

For tourney dudes, well look at sf4 or tekken 6 >.<

Ferrio

Banned
QisTopTier said:
I just like it for the fact that it lets people make characters *when possible * match their play style. There wont be a straight up best ryu player now for example, there will be a best power hitter ryu or best speed ryu. It's kinda like the grove system in cvs2 but different as well.

Ideally that'd be how it works. But with anything talent system like, it eventually breaks down to the "ideal" build.

Sooooo cool I was there for the announcement! I got to play SFxTekken and its good, its gonna be really good. Could give SF4 some competition at next years Evo. I cant wait to go back tomorrow and play some more!

I got to meet Ono and Seth. Im sooo freaking happy!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ferrio said:
Ideally that'd be how it works. But with anything talent system like, it eventually breaks down to the "ideal" build.
Yeah but the problem with "ideal" build is, it's still a team game.

For example the "ideal" build for ryu/kazuya wont be the same as a ryu/steve. Which in the end will still make the ryu play different.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ferrio said:
Wonder if Evo will support actual 2v2 man teams, or even 2v2 scramble mode.
I honestly hope evo does 2v2 for its main event of the game. Then again I guess that wouldn't be to fair for some people but come the fuck on it's only fitting :3 Plus team combos take real coordination and practice :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
993m8w.jpg

Gem system...pre-order Gems...exclusive Gems...then DLC Gems?

I don't know what's going on in this game anymore.

KAL2006

Banned
Here is the roster so far

Tekken
1. Kazuya
2. Nina
3. King
4. Craig
5. Bob
6. Julia
7. Hwoarang
8. Steve
9. Yoshimitsu
10. Kuma
11. Lili
12. Raven
13. Heihachi
semi confirmed
14. Asuka
15. Law
16. Paul
17. Ling

Street Fighter
1. Ryu
2. Ken
3. Chunli
4. Guile
5. Abel
6. Cammy
7. Sagat
8. Dhalsim
9. Poison
10. Ibuki
11. Hugo
12. Rolento
13. Rufus
14. Zangief
semi confirmed
15. Cody
16. Juri
17. Balrog
18. Vega
19. Guy

I think we will end up with 20 per side, with SF getting Bison, while Tekken gets Christie, Jack and Jin

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So people are booing the gem system... of a game that's got a crossover that deals with Bears, Dinosaurs, and Kangaroos fighting? XD

What does it matter, if a "for fun" system is added to a game? If it works, new dimension to the game. If it's broke, it'll be banned in tourney / serious play. It actually sounds like a cool way to program patch-style mods into the game. I'd love to be able to shift between versions of a character with Gems, like being able to use 2I Sean in SFIII OE, by sacrificing 1 ~ 3 buff slots.

Hope those Pre-order Gems are for completly cosmetic style bonuses. Like Glowing Auras, pandora-colors-always activated, or glowing eyes / fist. It'd be really sad if something that'd be useful for serious play, gets left behind because most players don't have access to it.

The Arcade Machine bank is a neat idea, too. Probably be Cardboard or something, but I'd fill it with quaters just on principle.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
KaYotiX said:
This. I was kinda hyped for it till i started reading about the gems.
Now after the initial shock is gone, sit down and think about how they could be good. Then you will be like ohhh, actually just watch the trailer not read about them. Also your avatar is very gem like LOL.

also were the fuck is bryan fury. Well I got Julia already, but still D:

AAK

KAL2006 said:
Here is the roster so far

Tekken
1. Kazuya
2. Nina
3. King
4. Craig
5. Bob
6. Julia
7. Hwoarang
8. Steve
9. Yoshimitsu
10. Kuma
11. Lili
12. Raven
13. Heihachi
semi confirmed
14. Asuka
15. Law
16. Paul
17. Ling
18. Lars
19. Dragunov
20. Jin
21. Zafina
22. Mokujin?

Added the rest

KAL2006

Banned
AAK said:
Added the rest

erm you know those characters are just to throw you off, it is similar to the last teaser where they also showed Dan, C. Viper and Mecha Zangief, but after further analysis we figured they were just to throw us off and the real teasers were for Balrog, Juri and Vega. Here is the analysis
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/oct/08/closer-look-sfxt-teaser-trailers-bgs/

Same thing happened here with the new teaser, characters like Lars, Devil Jin and etc were to trow us off, they are reused images from Tekken 6, the actual new art seem to be for Paul, Law and Ling, which are likely to be the actual teased characters.

Ferrio

Banned
Also gems make me worried about possible DLC shenanigans. Selling gems that are clearly stronger than free ones, making you a disadvantage unelss you shell out the $$$.

-PXG-

At first I thought gems were for a separate mode, but they're in everything. What? I'm not even that great at fighters and I think that's incredibly stupid.

Way to dumb shit down Capcom...Jesus...

EDIT

Holy shit, and DLC gems too. What the fuck is going on?

They're in maximum derp/troll mode now. Good lord.

The roster is really adding up into something quite safe and boring IMO. I'm hoping there are some interesting and underutilized characters still to be added.

And the Gem system is totally uninteresting to me, especially since it seems like it'll be heavily DLC influenced.

d0c_zaius

Gunloc said:
The roster is really adding up into something quite safe and boring IMO. I'm hoping there are some interesting and underutilized characters still to be added.

Besides the obvious ones they had to include, I think they are doing a good job picking characters that people have wanted to see for a long time (Hugo, Rolento and Poison).

Oh and gems can F off. Why are they trying to kill this game with candy coating crap that isnt needed.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
-PXG- said:
At first I thought gems were for a separate mode, but they're in everything. What? I'm not even that great at fighters and I think that's incredibly stupid.

Way to dumb shit down Capcom...Jesus...

EDIT

Holy shit, and DLC gems too. What the fuck is going on?

They're in maximum derp/troll mode now. Good lord.
that's not dubbing down, that's making shit more complex the total opposite... people these days -.-

oh and
There are also support abilities such as auto-guard and auto-throw break. Auto guard guards any attack, so long as you are able (i.e. not in recovery frames) but costs 1 bar of meter per blocked attack. If you have no meter while the auto-guard gem is active, it won't do anything.

LOOOOOOOOOOL FUCKING WORTHLESS ASS SHIT JUST LIKE PANDORA

AAK said:
How you know those teasers won't have all the characters?

Well, only one of the characters in each trailer is in a SFxTK screenshot and everyone else is either old art/screenshot for starters.

There are also support abilities such as auto-guard and auto-throw break. Auto guard guards any attack, so long as you are able (i.e. not in recovery frames) but costs 1 bar of meter per blocked attack. If you have no meter while the auto-guard gem is active, it won't do anything.

Huh, just like Jump Ultimate Stars but without being able to have a fucking ton of meter, well that calms me down.

d0c_zaius said:
Besides the obvious ones they had to include, I think they are doing a good job picking characters that people have wanted to see for a long time (Hugo, Rolento and Poison).
Rolento and Poison are the only interesting new additions IMO. Everyone else is pretty standard. (I don't care much for Hugo.) And the Tekken side is even more bland to me.

I'm still going to get the game, but that doesn't stop me from wishing that they should use this opportunity to bring back some characters that have been out of the spotlight for awhile. (Something Ono said he wanted to do initially.)

-PXG-

QisTopTier said:
that's not dubbing down, that's making shit more complex the total opposite... people these days -.-

oh and

LOOOOOOOOOOL FUCKING WORTHLESS ASS SHIT JUST LIKE PANDORA

When I say "dumbing it down" I'm talking about the inclusion of all of these "comeback" mechanics.

And yes, I was really confused by that trailer. There are some many systems and features now. Gems, Pandora, the new focus attack/ FADC (whatever it's called now), and various attacks based on meter. It's ridiculous.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
-PXG- said:
When I say "dumbing it down" I'm talking about the inclusion of all of these "comeback" mechanics.

And yes, I was really confused by that trailer. There are some many systems and features now. Gems, Pandora, the new focus attack/ FADC (whatever it's called now), and various attacks based on meter. It's ridiculous.
Gems are not a comeback mechanic, it's a play style alteration. Pandora is a comeback mechanic and it sucks ass.

If you are confused by all the systems of the game, watch the gamescom trailer. They explain them all besides gems.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say gems you get as dlc you can just unlock normally. It's prob capcoms way of being dicks to the tournament runners but giving a way to get everything instantly. I mean shit sf4 tourney dudes bought all the costumes in sf4 and that didnt do shit for the game LOL

d0c_zaius

Gunloc said:
Rolento and Poison are the only interesting new additions IMO. Everyone else is pretty standard. (I don't care much for Hugo.) And the Tekken side is even more bland to me.

I'm still going to get the game, but that doesn't stop me from wishing that they should use this opportunity to bring back some characters that have been out of the spotlight for awhile. (Something Ono said he wanted to do initially.)

actually looking at the list again and its pretty safe, you have a point.

As far as Tekken goes, I can't think of too many characters they could add to cause a stir, except for Jun or a brand new character.

Capcom-wise, they are picking mostly reused SF4 stuff so thats not too surprising. If they add Q then all is forgiven.

Pretty sure you can just play without gems and filter out gem players while online, so I don't see the problem really. Don't like it? Don't use it. Let the players who like it have fun, like touch screens specials and whatnot.

Chavelo

PC version, you say?

Count me the fuck in, Capcom. Just... don't try to screw PC gamers again....

Actually, shit... I'm conflicted now... :-(

-PXG-

QisTopTier said:
Gems are not a comeback mechanic, it's a play style alteration. Pandora is a comeback mechanic and it sucks ass.

If you are confused by all the systems of the game, watch the gamescom trailer. They explain them all besides gems.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say gems you get as dlc you can just unlock normally. It's prob capcoms way of being dicks to the tournament runners but giving a way to get everything instantly. I mean shit sf4 tourney dudes bought all the costumes in sf4 and that didnt do shit for the game LOL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that Gems are stat/ attribute modifiers. Some make you take less damge, some make your normals do more damage, some make you build meter faster, ect. Though interesting on paper, I don't see competitive and tournament players liking this system.

And yeah, comeback mechanics suck. I'm not that great at fighters and I don't like them. Xfactors in MVC3 were a bit overpowered. I like how Baroques worked in TVC.

AAK

SolarKnight said:
Well, only one of the characters in each trailer is in a SFxTK screenshot and everyone else is either old art/screenshot for starters.

I see what you mean for these trailers, but the SF versions were from the SFxT gameplay style rather than art. I dunno why they'd bother showing it if they weren't going to be in the game.

Dali

Ferrio said:
It really looks like it might be the best capcom fighting game in a long time IMO.
On paper, i'd agree, but reports that it still basically feels like iv make me think otherwise. As the expression goes, garbage in, garbage out.

I wish I could just ignore this game given that everything around it doesn't interest me in the slightest, but the draw of Poison is too strong.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm quite happy with the roster, I expected Capcom to reuse the SFIV cast but we got 3 new additions Rolento, Hugo and Poison (who is surprising to have included). Then I didn't miss out my fav characters from SFIV, I got the ones I like such as Juri, Guile and Abel. The only characters I will miss from SFIV are Dudley, Honda and Makoto. Luckily they didn't include crap like Dan, Sakura, Gen, Blanka, El Fuerte and etc.

As for Tekken cast, I actually think it's great, all the fav iconic characters that were in most game sare in like Law, Hwoarang, Nina, King and Yoshimitsu. Also the cool characters like Steve and Raven are in. The only charcters from Tekken I would have liked are Jack and Christie which I hope get announced next.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
-PXG- said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that Gems are stat/ attribute modifiers. Some make you take less damge, some make your normals do more damage, some make you build meter faster, ect. Though interesting on paper, I don't see competitive and tournament players liking this system.
People love CvS2 :p Same thing sorta.

AAK said:
I see what you mean for these trailers, but the SF versions were from the SFxT gameplay style rather than art.

Trailer 1:
-Juri's hand in front of a SFxTK bg.
-Dan in a SFIV background
-Viper's knuckle looking SFIV style rather than SFxTK style

Trailer 2:
-No idea who it is but he's in SFxTK style
-Dee Jay's back looking SFIV-like
-Gief's mecha alt in SFIV style

Trailer 3
-Balrog's foot in SFxTK style
-I'm not exactly sure who the other 2 are but they're not SFxTK style

so no.

QisTopTier said:
People love CvS2 :p Same thing sorta.

I wouldn't really say that, but if you're gonna compare it to CvS2 the best comparison would be the EX grooves, which IIRC are banned so...

The impression i got from the SFxT panel that I was at was that the GEM system is an expansion on the handicap system with a collectable aspect of it, with some balancing done to it (for example, the auto block/escape gem consumes 1/3rd your total meter and that the gems in general have specific activation parameters and wear off over time) At worst, it'll have an option to turn on or off gems in matches and will be ignored by the hardcore.

Ono said it himself that he wants the gem system to be a way for casuals to come back to SF after they came for SF4 and quickly left afterwards.

KAL2006

Banned
SolarKnight said:
Trailer 1:
-Juri's hand in front of a SFxTK bg.
-Dan in a SFIV background
-Viper's knuckle looking SFIV style rather than SFxTK style

Trailer 2:
-No idea who it is but he's in SFxTK style
-Dee Jay's back looking SFIV-like
-Gief's mecha alt in SFIV style

Trailer 3
-Balrog's foot in SFxTK style
-I'm not exactly sure who the other 2 are but they're not SFxTK style

so no.
Trailer 2 is Vega
Also note there are background stages shown in the teasers which include Vega SF2 stage, Balrog SF2 stage and Korea from SF4. It is obvious Juri, Balrog and Vega are the teasers there and the other characters were just to throw us off, c'mon, Mecha Zangief and Dan, I really doubt they would include those characters. Same thing happened in these new teasers, only Law, Paul and Ling seem legit, and the rest are thowoffs.

Top Bottom