• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki are making a new film

Blader

http://theplaylist.net/studio-ghibli-officially-reopens-for-new-hayao-miyazaki-movie-20170811/

The inevitable was eventually confirmed as we found out that Miyazaki was secretly working on “Boro the Caterpillar,” a film which was intended as a short, but which the Japanese master said left him with an unsatisfied feeling. Last fall, the director has presented a proposal to make a full length movie, and started working on storyboards, with a goal to release the film in 2019, right before the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Details are yet to come, but if we needed any kind of good news on this Friday it’s that Studio Ghibli’s production department has officially been reopened today. Miyazaki is at work on his new feature, which is either a feature length version of “Boro the Caterpillar,” or something else entirely. We’ll find out in time.

The Wind Rises really seemed like the perfect note for Miyazaki to go out on, but if he feels he's got another film in him I won't say no to it, especially if it means bringing Ghibli back to life.

blakep267

Wasn't a huge fan of Wind Rises. I hope it's a return to more fantasy driven stuff, because when his work gets grounded it's just lacking

TrounceX

Hmm, for some reason I thought we already knew this... or maybe that was just Miyazaki working on a short film, and this is the announcement that it's been turned into a feature length film.

Anyways, not sure I want this. Sorry but, on it's face, a story about a caterpillar doesn't seem like something fitting for Miyazaki to end his career on. I thought the Wind Rises, while not my favorite Ghibli film, was a fitting sendoff. I guess we'll see when we figure out what the movie is actually about.

rackham

Banned
Didn't appreciate The Wind rises. Hope he goes back to stuff like Nausicaa, Mononoke, Howl's or Spirited Away

SpaceWolf

Banned
Hmm, for some reason I thought we already knew this... or maybe that was just Miyazaki working on a short film, and this is the announcement that it's been turned into a feature length film.

I came here to say the same thing. I swear we've heard this exact piece of news in the past...including the fact the short was being turned into a feature film.

The Wind Rises was great, but it was a film made much more for Japanese audiences than American audiences. I'd rather he end his career on a more whimsical note, something akin to Spirited Away or My Neighbor Totoro.

NekoFever

I guarantee when he dies it will be mid production on a new movie

bcUPdcr.gif

Karkador

Banned
I'm posting just to say The Wind Rises is a masterpiece, so this caterpillar better be some gut-wrenching, unmistakable truth that makes me cry nonstop

I guarantee when he dies it will be mid production on a new movie

Literally happened to Miyazaki's replacement Yoshifumi Kondō when he was directing Whisper of The Heart. Sick a shame too because it was pretty much planned for him to lead Ghibli.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Anyways, not sure I want this. Sorry but, on it's face, a story about a caterpillar doesn't seem like something fitting for Miyazaki to end his career on. I thought the Wind Rises, while not my favorite Ghibli film, was a fitting sendoff. I guess we'll see when we figure out what the movie is actually about.

Caterpillars are a metaphor for growth and hidden beauty.

Meffer

Why so, out of curiosity?

The group presented to him a computer program that animates by itself. It uses the models that it's given and depending on the instructions (don't use this leg or have the head act like an arm or this model is suppose to be big and heavy) will animate the model. The animations they showed where bodies doing a variety of things that in weird contorted ways. Miyazaki replied that a computer really doesn't understand the limitations of how someone will move depending on their feelings and pain. He used a friend he knew who was disabled and can't move properly because of his pain. That's why he said that.
Also this a was a new group of people not the one he was working with for his CGI animated film.

UrbanRats

This is the 3d one, right? Maybe it will turn out Berserk levels of bad, and will be the forced send off for him AND Ghibli!

GCX

This is the 3d one, right? Maybe it will turn out Berserk levels of bad, and will be the forced send off for him AND Ghibli!
We don't know yet how the film will be made. The caterpillar 3D short looked quite good visually in the documentary shown last winter.

Top Bottom