• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio Ghibli has been acquired by Nippon Television Holdings

near

Gold Member
Studio Ghibli will no longer be operating independently.

Anime powerhouse Studio Ghibli is set to become a unit of Nippon Television Holdings in October, the broadcaster announced on Thursday.

Studio Ghibli will be headed by Hiroyuki Fukuda, the senior operating officer and board director at Nippon TV.

Studio Ghibli President Toshio Suzuki will assume the position of chairman, while Hayao Miyazaki, the famed filmmaker and co-creator of the studio, will be its honorary chairman.

Nippon TV made the decision at a board of director’s meeting on Thursday, with Studio Ghibli approving the deal the same day. The broadcaster will own 42.3% of Studio Ghibli’s shares.

The deal comes amid speculation over the future leadership of the studio. Miyazaki is 82 and Suzuki is 75.

”For a long time, it has been a concern who will take over the studio,” Studio Ghibli said in a press release.

Studio Ghibli said in the release that there had been discussions in the past about Goro Miyazaki, Hayao Miyazaki's eldest son and animation director at the company, taking over.

However, the studio said it decided it would be better to put the future of the company in someone else’s hands, with Goro Miyazaki believing it would be too difficult to bear the responsibility on his own, according to the press release.

Goro’s strained relationship with his father has been widely reported.

Nippon TV will be handling management operations, allowing Studio Ghibli to focus more on the creative side, according to the press release.

Since 1985, the television network has maintained close ties with the animation studio, when the former aired “Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind” on TV for the first time. The network has frequently aired Ghibli films on Friday Roadshow, which sees the weekly broadcast of feature-length films.

Studio Ghibli was founded in 1985 by Suzuki, Miyazaki and the late director Isao Takahata. The studio has achieved both domestic and international acclaim for hit films such as the Oscar-winning “Spirited Away,” “The Tale of The Princess Kaguya,” “My Neighbor Totoro” and “Princess Mononoke.”

Ghibli Park opened in November in Aichi Prefecture and Goro Miyazaki was tasked with overseeing the theme park.

Hudo

Not that surprising, I guess. Ghibli and NTV made deals regularly where NTV had "frist broadcasting rights" for Ghibli's stuff. I think Ghibli also produced some short movies for NTV.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I disagree. If Hayao Miyazaki retires there is no one within that is capable of running it effectively and producing good content. Goro just doesn't have what it takes, at least this way the company won't run itself into the ground.
It was on Hayao to groom his successor, its his failure that he didn't find a suitable replacement. It will become a shithouse.

BlackTron

I disagree. If Hayao Miyazaki retires there is no one within that is capable of running it effectively and producing good content. Goro just doesn't have what it takes, at least this way the company won't run itself into the ground.

I agree, this is simply consistent with his departure.

sankt-Antonio

You can lead a horse to water but...

Nippon Television Holdings is he's replacement. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
A replacement that honors his body of work. Its sad to see that no one at studio Ghibli apparently had what it takes to lead the company.

Edit:
NipponTV produces quality work like... this:
Screenshot-2023-09-21-at-15-55-16-NIPPON-TV.png

lol

Last edited:

Tams

Eh, they haven't created anything exceptional in over a decade. And they have quite a few films that aren't that great.

When Studio Ghibli do hit it, they hit it spot on with some magical quality. They just don't as much as they do.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
A replacement that honors his body of work. Its sad to see that no one at studio Ghibli apparently had what it takes to lead the company.
It is a shame, that even at times Miyazaki was even incapable of honouring he's own body of work lmao. There are very few directors in the industry that even fit he's profile, the only one I can think of that remotely compares is Makoto Shinkai, but he is no Miyazaki either.

sankt-Antonio

It is a shame, that even at times Miyazaki was even incapable of honouring he's own body of work lmao. There are very few directors in the industry that even fit he's profile, the only one I can think of that remotely compares is Makoto Shinkai, but he is no Miyazaki either.
Do not really agree, even the worst of Studio Ghibli was better than 90% of anime trash that gets shat out from studios pressured by time and money constraints.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Gibli has existed in name only for a while now last Gibli movie I truly loved was "The Cat Returns"

The newer stuff wasn't bad but I wouldn't exactly call any of them classic

edit* I take that back I thought "Howl's Moving Castle" was really really bad

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It was on Hayao to groom his successor, its his failure that he didn't find a suitable replacement. It will become a shithouse.

He really, really wanted his son to inherit it, as japanese craftsmen pass their bussiness to their sons for centuries. The problem is that unlike craftsmanship filmmaking is a talent and goro is lacking.

Hadao should have adopted a talented filmmaker and pass the studio to him/her.

Doom85

It’s not that uncommon a take. The third act is trash and it’s clear they had no idea how to wrap things up.

Yeah, I find it unfair that Tales from Earthsea got shat on for deviating from the books and such when Howl’s Moving Castle did the same thing and rarely receives criticism for it. When I was watching the latter for the first time and saw an environmental message was randomly being shoved in, I was just like, “dude, we get, the environment is important, you’ve made that crystal clear by this point in your career!”

While he has made some great films, I don’t hold the insane amount of reverence a good deal of people have for him. I think there’s a good deal of anime that are more interesting, unique, and/or well-executed than even his best works. Even if I were to limit it to films, I prefer a decent amount over his best such as A Silent Voice, End of Evangelion, and the first Ghost in the Shell.

his son didn't want to take over and frankly I don't blame him. The pressure would be too immense regardless of whether he has the talent or not.

Paltheos

No need to crucify you for it, I’ll continue to hold the film near and dear to my heart. I’m sure there are films you like that others dislike, it’s no big deal.

No offense was taken. I'm just trying to make friendly banter. :)

Fools idol

Banned
ahhhh man I don't feel good things coming from this

hope they retain their creative freedom and don't get roped into making generic shows and endless sequel franchises every 2 years

Rran

Lets be honest. The ghibli everyone loved died around-ish 2001-2002.
I'm tired of people acting like Ghibli begins and ends with Spirited Away. Princess Kaguya is a great movie, and I quite enjoyed Marnie and Arriety as well. Honestly I think their best decade was the 80s but they've made plenty of strong films.

near

Gold Member
ahhhh man I don't feel good things coming from this

hope they retain their creative freedom and don't get roped into making generic shows and endless sequel franchises every 2 years
Nippon TV and Studio Ghibli have had a long-running relationship that dates back to the 80s, it is expected that Ghibli will retain creative control, but Nippon will handle most business related matters. They won't even have complete operating control anyway, since their stake is rumoured to be around 42%.

Lambogenie

W r o n g.

The Wind Rises is an amazing film. Ponyo is also loved by a lot people, including myself.

People like bad things all the time.

Ghibli is hit or miss for me as well. Great animation in everything, but the last lot of films haven't been anything special. Classic Disney is still miles better than Ghibli's best, honestly (and I really, really like Mononoke/Spirited Away/Kiki).

Last edited:
People like bad things all the time.

Ghibli is hit or miss for me as well. Great animation in everything, but the last lot of films haven't been anything special. Classic Disney is still miles better than Ghibli's best, honestly (and I really, really like Mononoke/Spirited Away/Kiki).

If you think The Wind Rises is bad that's a you problem not the film.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I’m taking my kids to go see Howls moving castle tomorrow in the theater. Hopefully they like it.

sono

Gold Member
It has been a source of pure creative brilliance up to now.

I hope this doesnt change things.

Top Bottom