• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study Finds The Defenders Least Watched from Netflix/Marvel in U.S.

The best episode of Iron Fist was the one directed by RZA, who actually understood that the source material was purpose-built around Hong Kong martial arts stories. The action choreography being good is a fundamental requirement of these shows, especially when the drama you're talking about has either been outright poor or dragged needlessly across multiple episodes.

A good action scene isn't gonna magically make a shitty show less shitty. If you can't set up a confrontation with good writing then I might as well watch the fight scenes on youtube instead of watching the show.
You'll rarely find a single issue superhero comic that doesn't have some sort of action or fight scene within its 20 odd pages. It's nice to pretend it's all about the drama and emotion but action is another integral part of those stories and it should be done well and competently.

We shouldn't just pretend we didn't see a guy falling down a blatant greenscreen elevator shaft that looked like it came from a low budget early 90s movie because it's the drama that is the important thing.
Superhero comics are filled with soap opera tier drama. Yeah, they'll have maybe one fight scene but then it's back to characters talking and talking and talking. A good writer has to make the talking compelling and not play out like filler.

M.Bluth

Let's be real, the signs were there since Jessica Jones, which I found rather good but with obvious flaws.

Then DD S2 came along and I don't know how anyone had any faith in the MCU Netflix shows by the end of it. Luke Cage started strong but couldn't hold my interest, and the less said about Iron Fist the better.

That's why I couldn't be bothered to watch Defenders despite being really excited for it before DD S2, and I doubt I'll bother with anything else from them in the future, including Punisher.

LotusHD

Banned
The best episode of Iron Fist was the one directed by RZA, who actually understood that the source material was purpose-built around Hong Kong martial arts stories. The action choreography being good is a fundamental requirement of these shows, especially when the drama you're talking about has either been outright poor or dragged needlessly across multiple episodes.

That episode wasn't even good lol

Shredderi

Iron Fist stinked up the whole thing in a way that's gonna take a miracle to right at this point unless they just kill Danny off screen and never do anything related to IF anymore. Defenders was kinda ok for mindless entertainment but wasn't "good" per se. I just rewatched DD season 1 and it was on another level and set my expectations way too high for the rest of this stuff.

Pagusas

Elden Member
As someone who is enjoying Jessica Jones (basically only because David Tennant is brilliant in it), am I going to hate Defenders?

correojon

Daredevil was awesome, though maybe I hold it in that high regard because it was "the first", but I really liked it.

Jessica Jones was different but I enjoyed it a lot, maybe even more than DD.

Luke Cage was meh. I dind´t like that the story got rid of the main villain halfway through and suddenly introduced another one who was supposed to be the big baddie. After spending half the show building up a great villain to prompty get rid of him I just couldn´t give any credibility to the new one. The last fight on the street with that poor armor looked dumb to me.

Iron Fist was very disappointing. The actions scenes here should put to shame the stunts in DD but they were nowhere close. Having a main character who can´t fight hurt the show too much for me. The glowing fist looks dumb. Also, the power having so many restrictions, added to the main character´s poor fighting prowess make the Iron Fist superhero look like a joke. He struggles against anyone who decides to fight him, when he should be overwhelming almost everyone like Goku in the first rounds of the Martial Arts Tournament. The character itself has many flaws: he´s triumphed over everyone in K´un Lun and earned the Iron Fist, he´s supposed to be this awesome martial arts master with incredible mind and body control, yet he´s really a little brat that can´t keep his anger in check. He should be calm and collected and the voice of reason, but whenever he´s not meditating he´s just exploding into a burst of rage. I find this incredibly contradictory and annoying and it makes me dislike the character a lot.

DD2 tried to do too may things and became too messed up. The Punisher however was an incredible character, so I enjoyed the show thanks to him.

The Defenders: I liked it more than I thought I would. It had some dumb stuff, specially anything surrounding Iron Fist
like when Electra tricks him into smashing the barrier, c´mon!
. It was all so predictable that it only highlighted more how shitty that character and all the writing surrounding him is. The rest was OK, I liked the JJ-LC-DD interactions and DD kicked ass in the fighting scenes. One little detail I didn´t like was how everytime LC entered a scene we would get this music change to show how smooth and black he is. It felt dumb and I don´t think the character needs anything to highight such a basic trait. I think the show dropped it after the first episodes (or maybe I just grew accustomed to it and filtered it away) but it felt really dumb and out of place.

jph139

If these numbers are accurate, the whole "Iron Fist poisoned the well" thing doesn't hold up, because none of the non-DD shows have gotten close to capturing that audience. Defenders was "Daredevil and those guys from those shows I didn't watch" which built up a barrier people just didn't want to bother climbing over.

It's not like Avengers, where even if you didn't see the lead-in films, you'll still get action and snappy one liners and be home in two hours. People don't want to dedicate their time to plots and characters that they don't know anything about.

LakeEarth

I did enjoy it overall, but I hated that they still can't keep power levels consistent. Jessica punches a ninja guy and he barely flinches, but then she
can lift an entire freight elevator
. Iron Fist can't make Luke Cage flinch without his glowing fist, but
regular ninja dudes make Luke Cage fall back more than once
. Iron Fist's glowing punch can hit air and still knock multiple people down to the ground, and then
he's shown punching a normal ninja dude with a glowing fist and the guy keeps fighting
. Come on, guys!

black_13

Banned
I skipped Iron Fist and watched Defenders and was hugely disappointed. All of Marvel shows are mediocre. Only decent ones were Daredevil season 1 and 2.

CloudWolf

These Marvel Netflix show gradually lost my interest. I loved the first season of Daredevil, really liked Jessica Jones and the first half of Daredevil's second season, I stronly dislike the second half and didn't care at all for Luke Cage. Iron Fist getting destroyed in reviews caused me to not watch it and I simply have zero interest in watching Defenders.

JWiLL

Banned
How the hell is Scott Buck still getting work on such high profile productions? Dude is the show runner responsible for the last few seasons of Dexter. The guy is a hack.

Buck *deep in concentration*: "...have Danny tell everyone he's the immortal Iron Fist again"

Crew: "But...Scott, they're just eating breakfa-"

Buck: "HE'S THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN DEFEAT THE HAND"

gtj1092

It was hard to sit through. Luckily it was only 8 episodes. Think I'm just tired of these shows. Need higher level beings and powers if the stories aren't going to be good. Can only watch so many fist fights

3rdman

Defenders suffered from bad writing and lazy plot development. Every episode suffered from a cost-budgeting effect of having as few multi-character moments as possible. As a result, ever major scene is broken down into intimate one-on-one encounters even in the most hectic of moments.

These moments then drag on and don't really drive the plot. How many scenes started with one of the characters doubting themselves, only to be emotionally supported by the only other person in the room, and to be back to square one by the end of the scene?

That's why I couldn't be bothered to watch Defenders despite being really excited for it before DD S2, and I doubt I'll bother with anything else from them in the future, including Punisher.

Punisher trailer was awesome, but then it was composed almost entirely of music and action.

I'm kind of on the fence about that one too (and if you told me I'd be saying this a few years ago about an r rated punisher show starring bernthal I'd call you nuts). I can already see the drab plot, pacing and performances a mile away.

really hoping it's practically nothing like the previous netflix marvel shows. why the hell do they share such common problems when they have different showrunners? is the tv division really that communal?

kurahador

How the hell is Scott Buck still getting work on such high profile productions? Dude is the show runner responsible for the last few seasons of Dexter. The guy is a hack.

Buck *deep in concentration*: "...have Danny tell everyone he's the immortal Iron Fist again"

WqvMD70.jpg

Harmen

Thanks a lot Iron Douche

Incompetent Fist might be a mess, but more happens than in The Defenders, which, to me, is boring as fuck and barely gives any new information to the viewers throughout it's meandering 8 episodes. Anecdotal, but word of mouth here is pretty bad.

LakeEarth

Luke Cage was half decent. In that, half of it was decent. The rest of it was mind-boggling. Did they switch show-runners halfway through.

It's even more baffling that The Defenders also
introduce a main villain, just to kill them off halfway through the run.

groansey

Daredevil 1 & 2 were too long.
Jessica Jones was pretty dull aside from Kilgrave. Also too long.
Luke Cage & Iron Fist had negative buzz. They're all fairly formulaic and repetitive.

So Defenders is not a priority watch.

As someone who is enjoying Jessica Jones (basically only because David Tennant is brilliant in it), am I going to hate Defenders?

Probably.

I enjoyed Defenders, but really the standout M/N shows (in order) are Jessica Jones, Daredevil S1, and the first half of Luke Cage. Everything else is just OK to bad.

You're basically watching the best part now, though a case can be made for Daredevil. Defenders is meh. It benefits by being short.

Luke Cage was half decent. In that, half of it was decent. The rest of it was mind-boggling. Did they switch show-runners halfway through.

It's even more baffling that The Defenders also
introduce a main villain, just to kill them off halfway through the run.

Second-to-last episode. And Electra is the main villain, Alexandra is a red herring.

The move was part of the show I really liked, actually.

My big issue was that the Hand's plot and revealed details were so dumb. And teh fight in the last ep was pretty boring.

Voidwolf

My takeaway from this is that Daredevil absolutely destroyed everything else Netflix made. It did so well everything else looks like it did poorly, I mean, look how low Stranger Things is on that list and everybody loves that show. I'm also disappointed to see Master of None doing so poorly, although the first season was definitely the better of the two.

Bladenic

Sad to see JJ below both Cage and especially Iron Trash. But Defenders really didn't seem to get the same push or hype that you'd think it would.

Luke Cage's second half followed by Iron Fist killed all my interest in The Defenders.

This is where I’m at right now. Easily some of the worst TV I’ve ever watched. I’ve been trying to watch this for over a year and every time I come back to it, I turn it off.

Korosenai

Iron fist was so poor I didn't care about marvel television anymore, and I was following every mcu show. It really soured me personally and I'm guess I wasn't alone.

This exactly happened to me.

Watched every other series the first day it came out, didn't even finish Iron Fist and didn't even start watching Defenders.

I really only care about Daredevil and Punisher now.

Wasnt as bad as Iron fist

Wasnt as good as DD1/2 JJ, or LCage

Sorry but outside of some fun in the middle I was VERY disappointed with Defenders

What happened i wonder? Cant even blame Scott Buck for this one

Kacho

JJ was terrible and I struggled to care about DDS2. Gave Luke Cage a try and just couldn't do it. I've been out ever since. I liked what they were going for but the end result leaves a lot to be desired.

Loved both seasons of DD, JJ was decent only because of the villain, and Luke Cage became pretty boring by the end of it. Didn't even bother watching Iron Fist and Defenders seems to be more of that crap.

M.Bluth

Punisher trailer was awesome, but then it was composed almost entirely of music and action.

I'm kind of on the fence about that one too (and if you told me I'd be saying this a few years ago about an r rated punisher show starring bernthal I'd call you nuts). I can already see the drab plot, pacing and performances a mile away.

really hoping it's practically nothing like the previous netflix marvel shows. why the hell do they share such common problems when they have different showrunners? is the tv division really that communal?
I'm not sure, but they definitely need to replace a bunch of people at the top.

Casting of Iron Fist was more than enough to prove those folk are clueless

Daredevil 1 & 2 were too long.
Jessica Jones was pretty dull aside from Kilgrave. Also too long.
Luke Cage & Iron Fist had negative buzz. They're all fairly formulaic and repetitive.

So Defenders is not a priority watch.
Agreed on them being too long. It's really amazing how all of them have shared this issue.
Jessica Jones, especially, could have benefited from getting rid of like 3 episodes. Would've been a much tighter story.

Valtýr

I imagine when you have an 8 hour story that converged nearly 45 hours of previous content, the ven diagram of people who have seen all of it and are ready to watch the new thing is pretty low.

Combine that with the low reception of Iron Fist. It makes sense.

Valtýr;249545181 said:
I imagine when you have an 8 hour story that converged nearly 45 hours of previous content, the ven diagram of people who have seen all of it and are ready to watch the new thing is pretty low.

Combine that with the low reception of Iron Fist. It makes sense.

Concise and probably the reason.

I never finished Iron Fist, and I watched all the prior shows starting right away. Defenders I took my time getting to.

It doesn't help that the Defenders buzz is not great.

Rhoc

I love the Marvel movies but I can't get into the Netflix stuff except Daredevil. I always start them but after 4 or so episodes I get really bored. So I couldn't care less about the Defenders. Maybe the Punisher can keep me interested.

HarryKS

Forced myself to watch all the other ones, even Iron Fist and Luke Cage which were complete flops. Defenders was too much. That first episode just kills you.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
This is where I’m at right now. Easily some of the worst TV I’ve ever watched. I’ve been trying to watch this for over a year and every time I come back to it, I turn it off.

I find myself reaching for my phone more and more during each episode in this back half... with you, been trying to watch for months. Have 2 episodes left, just need to slog through it.

I love all the Netflix series. Daredevil and Jessica Jones were my favorite.

I don't get the complaints about Daredevil S2. How the hell do you do a Daredevil series without Electra or the Hand? I liked the change of pace from the Kingpin conspiracy of the first one. That stairwell fight alone is almost worth watching all the episodes for. My only complaint was that Punisher was such a focus of the series, took the focus off DD.

Luke Cage was really good although it lost steam toward the end I still enjoyed it.

Iron Fist was the weakest, mostly because Finn Jones is so unconvincing and annoying.

Defenders came off like NeoGAF wrote it, shorter, condensed.

Most of the complaints about the series are valid but none of them really detract my enjoyment of them(except Iron Fist but I still finished it).

Daredevil season 3 is the only thin i want and netflix is just keeping me waiting to mke these other much worse shows

DD S2 sucked beyond punisher ( did like Elektra but the Hand subplot and other stuff was too Arrow-ey) and S1 was a half-hearted law drama with a few cool action scenes

JJ and LC were >>>>

Iron Fist was ass though... terrible lead, awful character development/interaction, nonsensical everything

Forced myself to watch all the other ones, even Iron Fist and Luke Cage which were complete flops. Defenders was too much. That first episode just kills you.

Defenders wasn't bad at all, better than IF, a good bit of DD S1/2, and the last half of Luke Cage. Jessica steals the show and its fun seeing them all together. It's propped up by a weak narrative, villains, and nonsensical plot though.

ugh

just ugh

my favorite part was
he never protected K'un L'un lol

Vagabundo

I think all the series going forward could do with the less is more attitude. I don't need 15 episodes or whatever, cut it to 8 good ones and I'm happier.

Every season of Netflix Marvel between Daredevil Season One and Iron Fist was worse than the one that proceeded it.

Defenders finally reversed the trend but was only average at best.

Legion is the best thing that Marvel Television has co-produced (though it seems like their involvement was almost non-existent) and it isn't even in the MCU.

I haven't made time to watch any Netflix shows since finishing Luke Cage, Master of None, Love, and OITNB.

I just realized The Defenders was a thing about a week ago.

I might've tapped out if I wasn't watching it with others because man, it's a fucking slog. I was enduring some shit trying to give even the slightest amount of fucks during the final stretch.

Netflix MCU is testing my patience.

Top Bottom