• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study Finds The Defenders Least Watched from Netflix/Marvel in U.S.

I'm not surprised. I'm super into the MCU but I never got psyched for this. Started it, and I just kind of forgot to finish. It's a shame, there's some real solid stuff in the Netflix shows, but there's this weird messiness to it.

Iron Fist was a huge letdown, it started okay but then it went nowhere, and then it decided that The Hand needs to be the big enemy of the street level marvel which isn't like, totally completely wrong but I was done with them after Season 2 of Daredevil.

Like ninja shadow association isn't bad it is just bad when it is the only bad guys when there are more bad guys and threats they could be facing that would actually be more interesting to watch.

That said another problem is some of the terrible camera work and hiring people like Scott Buck.

No one should hire buck.

Maybe Defenders was a bad idea, I'm still happy we got a halfway decent Luke Cage series out of it. Luke Cage was dope.

That's crazy that daredevil season 2 is outpeforming every single one of these shows by 3 times. Season 1 of daredevil was amazing and the punisher episodes of season 2 were great, but the hand episodes were trash.

Even so it deserves to beat iron fist by that much but Jessica jones and Luke cage were great.
I don't think S2 of DD is as good as S1 but it was still quite good. People 'love' The Punisher and it ends on a really strong note so I'm not surprised it was really successful. You probably had a lot of people coming from S1 around when it released that kept on trucking through.

It'll be interesting to see how S3 does. The Punisher should regain some momentum that Iron Fist and Defenders choked out of these series. I suspect will get some continuity/reference between that and DD S3 at the very end.

It feels like they've released a lot in a short time period and I don't have the heart to watch it all. I've enjoyed what I've seen but that's a lot of hours to get through even having already watched Daredevil 1, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage.

hollomat

Banned
I don't think S2 of DD is as good as S1 but it was still quite good. People 'love' The Punisher and it ends on a really strong note so I'm not surprised it was really successful. You probably had a lot of people coming from S1 around when it released that kept on trucking through.

It'll be interesting to see how S3 does. The Punisher should regain some momentum that Iron Fist and Defenders choked out of these series. I suspect will get some continuity/reference between that and DD S3 at the very end.

I agree, but it's crazy that season 2 of daredevil is doing 3 times the viewers of all the other marvel shows including the team up. Although daredevil is someone a lot of non comic book fans know while the other characters they may have never hear of.

Wads

Banned
I saw it. Wasn’t great or that bad either. I thought the ending was shit. You pretty much need to watch defenders to continue daredevils story though. I didn’t watch Jessica jones, Luke cage, or iron fist and sounds like I didn’t miss much. I’ll watch daredevil and punisher, but I really don’t care about these other characters.

Not surprising if true, these shows have gone to shit. At best, they're just boring and tedious now. That's too bad considering how good DD season 1 was. And I really liked the first half of Jessica Jones and the Punisher arc in DD season 2. But I couldn't bother past the pilots of Iron Fist and Defenders. And Luke Cage's finale was laughingly terrible.

mrkgoo

I didn't watch Luke cage or iron fist, but I watched but defenders. It was mostly just ok and some moments of great, but it was pretty much what fans wanted.

And I liked iron fist in it.

I agree, but it's crazy that season 2 of daredevil is doing 3 times the viewers of all the other marvel shows including the team up. Although daredevil is someone a lot of non comic book fans know while the other characters they may have never hear of.
That's a good point and probably a lot of it.

burgervan

Luke Cage really spoiled my enthusiasm for these shows. I gave up half way through out of sheer boredom. Then the reviews for Iron Fist were toxic so I stayed away. People don't seem that hot on DEFENDERS either. I might be out completely.

The Punished trailer was good but even the good marvel shows turn into a slog by episode 9 or 10.

Jumeira

Banned
Didn't watch it because they're all losers outside of Daredevil. Cant stand JJ, LC and ive not watched IF but he's a complete mismatch ot seems, i have no interest in any of these characters.

Heard Defenders ending is just plain stupid and unecessary.

I only care for DD & Punisher, the rest can be cancelled.

antispin

Defenders was boring. I watched it, wouldn't recommend it. OTOH, DD1/2 was super exciting. I remember shouting about it to my friends, across Twitter.

Punisher looks cool. If it's good, I'm sure it'll see an uptick.

LotusHD

Banned
Didn't watch it because they're all losers outside of Daredevil. Cant stand JJ, LC and ive not watched IF but he's a complete mismatch ot seems, i have no interest in any of these characters.

Heard Defenders ending is just plain stupid and unecessary.

I only care for DD & Punisher, the rest can be cancelled.

Well, certainly wouldn't say it's unnecessary, especially for Daredevil.

I'm not surprised. Those Marvel shows are going to get watched less and less regardless of quality. It's a sliding slope once the novelty has worn off.

Permanently A

Irrationally angry about it here tbh

Their peak was Jessica Jones, rest is honestly at or less than Arrow-Tier

Everything not Purple Man related was trash. Don't even get me started on the lawyer and fucking Nuke

I maintain Luke Cage s1 first half is the best they've done so far

kunonabi

It was easily the worst of the Marvel shows so far so this doesn't really shock me. Marketing and lead-up also seemed really poor.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I liked Luke Cage. Was worried becUse of all the talk about the second half but it was good (other than the last episode boss fight)

jwk94

I just didn't care. I watched part of the first episode, had to leave, and never came back. I just want more Jessica Jones. I couldn't really care less about the others, especially Iron Fist. Got four episodes in before I dropped it.

Carcetti

Looking at how they got the numbers, this is not exactly super-reliable.

For the data on Netflix originals, Jumpshot looked at the viewing behavior and activity of the company’s U.S. members. The San Francisco-based company analyzes anonymized click-stream data from a panel of more than 100 million internet consumers, amounting to some 160 billion individual data points per month. The data excludes viewing that occurs on connected-TV platforms or Netflix mobile apps, but Jumpshot says its benchmark analysis reflects aggregate viewing on the platform.

So it looks at people in USA (not me) only by some weird metrics and skips people who watch on smart tv (me), or on mobile (me also).

Type_Raver

Travesty!

I watched it all and loved it, especially once the fights began and they started to use their abilities. Heck, it was even just awesome to see how they crossed paths and banded together!

I think Ironfist proceeding it may have done a bit of harm as others have alluded to, but i enjoyed it despite its somewhat shaky start. I think the press' negative opinions/reviews before it even aired had more to do with it, pre-baking some of our expectations and opinions.

Vagabundo

I know Luke Cage was a bit rough in places, but I loved the vibe of the show. Did people really not like Jessica Jones? I thought it was the best of all the MCU netflix stuff.

Luke Cage's second half followed by Iron Fist killed all my interest in The Defenders.

I just finished powering through Iron Fist after finally getting around to finish the second half of Luke Cage. I think the second half of Luke Cage is much worse than Iron First as a whole. Though by the end there I wasn't enjoying the show all that much. Still I don't quite get all the hate. It's not great, but it's not the worst thing I've ever seen either.

Now I'm finally gonna start the Defenders and even though I just endured all that, I'm still sort of looking forward to it.

KonradLaw

Considering how low budget those Marvel shows look I doubt it will change anything in the future. It's not like Netflix is throwing so much money on them that they require insane numbers.

Imagine if the Avengers was shit. Like, really shit.

Then watch The Defenders and realise it would still probably be better than watching three individually great characters wasted in the name of a deal signed 4 years ago.

Considering how low budget those Marvel shows look I doubt it will change anything in the future. It's not like Netflix is throwing so much money on them that they require insane numbers.
giphy.gif

KonradLaw

They do. I mean comparitively to other stuff Netlix makes. Barely any special effects, only cheap actors, no elaborate scenography to built etc. They must be nowhere near the top of most expensive shows Netlix makes. So I doubt there's risk of cancelation the way Marco Polo and Sense8 were dropped because of high costs.

They do. I mean comparitively to other stuff Netlix makes. Barely any special effects, only cheap actors, no elaborate scenography to built etc. They must be nowhere near the top of most expensive shows Netlix makes. So I doubt there's risk of cancelation the way Marco Polo and Sense8 were dropped because of high costs.
Daredevil and Jessica Jones look just like network dramas. Maybe those are 'cheap' to you but they aren't and they are stylized that way to keep with Disney's television universe.

I watched them in 4K and HDR. They don't look cheap.

KonradLaw

Daredevil and Jessica Jones look just like network dramas. Maybe those are 'cheap' to you but they aren't and they are stylized that way to keep with Disney's television universe.

I watched them in 4K and HDR. They don't look cheap.

Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I mean solely budget compared to other Neflix shows. I don't mean they look bad, just that they don't seem to be expensive enough to risk cancelation if they're not setting any viewership records

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Iron Fist killed the franchise.

Luke Cage had already killed it.
The show sucked from the jump but the first episode where Diamondback had a significant amount of screen time was shockingly bad. I gave up then, but if it actually got worse after that then wow.

Sygma

I know Luke Cage was a bit rough in places, but I loved the vibe of the show. Did people really not like Jessica Jones? I thought it was the best of all the MCU netflix stuff.

I really liked both shows. Luke Cage simply nailed the 70's comics and welp, it was cool. Shades was an amazing character and I hope we ll see him again soon

JJ was beast too. Kilgrave was simply too good. The "I once told a man to screw himself, can you imagine" bit killed me , and everything he did just for her was perfectly fucked up

They should stop trying to get a MCU on netflix. As far as the "structure" goes I mean. Just get your heroes and their stories for a more mature audience and you ll rack up, Marvel. We don't need Iron Fist or Defenders

I'm just tired of ultra serious superhero media. Especially of the low budget variety. I'll get around to Defenders eventually but at this point in time I'm just not in the mood.

Top Bottom