• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study Finds The Defenders Least Watched from Netflix/Marvel in U.S.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I think the Marvel Netflix shows walk and talk like a duck but are not ducks.

....Ducks being actually well constructed dramas in this instance.

The first Daredevil season surprised me. Jessica Jones had some great ideas but some silly-ass moments.

After that it's whatever.

Necro

Banned
Well Daredevil S2 was bad aside from the Punisher, as was the second half of luke cage, all of iron fist.. and the defenders has a lackluster opening.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

Dalek

I don’t believe these companies that claim to know Netflix viewership. Stranger Things was a massive show and they would have you believe otherwise.

Izuna

Banned
I haven't watched it yet because it has an Iron Fist thumbnail. Like, it is making me physically unable to click it...

Beefy

Defenders is basically dead to me. Only actor I like is Daredevil, JJ is ok, but LC and IF are beyond shit.

Maximo

I don’t believe these companies that claim to know Netflix viewership. Stranger Things was a massive show and they would have you believe otherwise.

I feel like the title and OP need big flashing letters 'THIS IS THE FIRST 30 DAYS!"

There it is...

I think the thread is now an interesting look at how, in the absence of reliable statistics, people can (and will) rely on older, more (percieved to be) reliable media narratives to explain away weird discrepancies between personal experience and the numbers being presented.

People really quickly jumped to the notion that the amazing (and immediate) reception Stranger Things enjoyed must have been overinflated and exaggerated by enthusiasts on the internet without even stopping to consider that the platform being discussed is the internet.

Like they went straight to tried & true stories to explain why things popular on the internet weren't popular in "the real world" as if you could even be in the conversation about Stranger Things if you weren't on the internet in the first place, or that the internet was somehow completely separate from "The real world" in 2017, when a sitting president twitter trolled his way to the seat he currently occupies.

It's amazing to me how strongly ingrained the notion is that "The Internet" is some weird niche playground that people don't really use in large numbers when almost everyone you know is using it every day of their lives.

NOW: I'm also guilty of this (and I'm obviously pushing a counter-narrative) because I also dont' have a hard set of numbers to point to. But I think there's less utility in defaulting to tried & true (but old and dying) modes of thought that suggest things on the internet are inherently less enjoyed/less important than things that are not, because I don't know if I know a single person either in my family or at my job who doesn't communicate with people largely via the internet, which is appears to be the primary communication & media tool of choice for almost everybody.

Briarios

Take all these analytics with a grain of salt -- if they announce a Defenders 2, it did well ... if they don't, it didn't.

Netflix doesn’t release viewing data, leaving industry players to rely on estimates from third parties. But execs from the streaming-video company have routinely questioned the validity of attempts to gauge consumption on its global platform.

For the data on Netflix originals, Jumpshot looked at the viewing behavior and activity of the company’s U.S. members. The San Francisco-based company analyzes anonymized click-stream data from a panel of more than 100 million internet consumers, amounting to some 160 billion individual data points per month. The data excludes viewing that occurs on connected-TV platforms or Netflix mobile apps, but Jumpshot says its benchmark analysis reflects aggregate viewing on the platform.

So, my families viewing habits -- and probably a lot of families -- don't count, because we use a PS4 & Kindle Fire Stick on our TVs. Those that watch on PCs kind of limit the data to a specific subset that may not extrapolate.

I mean, it may match up, but there is no way to know without Netflix' data.

When about half of your shows are based around a ninja cult you've somehow managed to making fucking boring and have utterly failed to flesh out after dozens of hours of television you know you fucked up.

I've been slowly watching the Defenders for about 3 weeks now and each time I watch an episode I wonder why I'm watching it outside of getting a weird peanut gallery type of enjoyment out of hearing "THE BLACK SKYYYYY" and still not knowing what the fuck it is.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I've made it about 5 episodes in. I had not watched Iron Fist before seeing The Defenders.

The problem with the show is that the choreography is really lopsided, and two of the four Defenders are damn near unlikable. Iron Fist is a whiny bastard who's actor clearly has no chops when it comes to being able to do fight choreography. Jessica Jones is a one note bitch to the point of being boring, who also isn't good at looking like she can actually fight. Luke Cage is more interesting, and he can brute force his way through fights, but he's woefully underutilized, and the ways the writers find to neutralize him are contrived within the context of the show.

Then there's Matt Murdoch, who's actor is the only one that seems to have fighting skills, but the camera doesn't stay still long enough to show it well. His actions and dialog aren't as good as they were in DD season one, but like Luke, he's still interesting.

In the end, it's hard to keep going. Half of the good guys are just bleh, the organization that they are fighting should have been able to wipe the floor with the Defenders, but they suck now, for some reason. The NYPD are the most inept, bumbling idiots in all of law enforcement, and it makes me irritated EVERY time they are on camera. And don't get me started on the damn Black Sky arc. Yawn.

Oddduck

The only interesting characters in the show are Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

The pacing is pretty bad too. It doesn't get interesting until like episode 3 or 4.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Defenders is basically dead to me. Only actor I like is Daredevil, JJ is ok, but LC and IF are beyond shit.

I'll agree with Daredevil. However I like Luke Cage. It's JJ and IF that I think are unlikable. How the hell did IF even become a thing? GOD his actor is so bad.

Khezu

Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were both so bad that I couldn't even be bothered to watch Iron Fist, let alone the Defenders.

Will probably watch Punisher I guess.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were both so bad that I couldn't even be bothered to watch Iron Fist, let alone the Defenders.

Will probably watch Punisher I guess.

So is the consensus that DD was the only good Netflix / Marvel show?

Way to be reductive

The Defenders distilled JJ to an absolutely trash person. She had some redeemable qualities in her show that are nonexistent in Defenders.

But then there's Iron Fist, that actively makes me not want to watch the show....

LotusHD

Banned
So is the consensus that DD was the only good Netflix / Marvel show?

The consensus is that DD is the most consistent one quality-wise, but outside of GAF, most people liked Jessica Jones. As for LC, I'm not entirely sure, but at the very least, most people agree that the first half was solid.

night814

I think the Marvel Netflix shows walk and talk like a duck but are not ducks.

....Ducks being actually well constructed dramas in this instance.

The first Daredevil season surprised me. Jessica Jones had some great ideas but some silly-ass moments.

After that it's whatever.

I feel the same way, DD S2 had some good stuff but was too similar to the first imo. I haven't watched Luke Cage or anything past it because I just can't work up the interest. I was interested like 3 years ago now when they announced they we're building to a big team up, it's just been too long and not compelling enough.

Also Stranger Things was huge, people live and die by Netflix now.

Sorry, did you mean to say Defenders Season 2?

Huh?
Im saying the only Netflix Marvel show I would actually get excited for again is a 3rd season of Daredevil.
Jones and Cage I did like but Defenders disappointed me so much I don't care where those go anymore.
Not saying I won't watch them but im definitely not interested.

Future

Gotta admit. Didn’t watch it yet and not that excited to. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage don’t draw me in like daredevil characters. And iron fist? Well, lol

I’ll check it out. But hearing about the the first episodes being boring isn’t making me excited to

Iron Fist is disturbingly high for a show with such a negative buzz attached to it.

I'm guessing it was highly anticipated? I was looking forward to it.

The Defenders distilled JJ to an absolutely trash person. She had some redeemable qualities in her show that are nonexistent in Defenders.

But then there's Iron Fist, that actively makes me not want to watch the show....

People wanted these series condensed from their usual 13 episode runs.

So they did that and stuff like character development suffers. Can't have it both ways.

Sygma

People want the actually really tortured Murdock and his really more than larger than life / equally complex enemies than childish fist tied to the garbage he's carrying with him

Who would have thought

Defenders was weak outside of Murdock, Stick and Jones

Punisher and DD 3 will raise the bar again most likely

I liked Jessica Jones S1

I really liked Daredevil S1/S2

The rest has been average (Luke Cage) or well below average (Iron Fist)

Defenders feels like something that exists to keep Daredevil away from me and I don't give a shit about it. There's way too much compelling TV on right now to devote 8 hours to something where I don't even like all the main characters.

Not everything has to be interconnected or leading to some big 'event'. Especially in TV.

LotusHD

Banned
Not everything has to be interconnected or leading to some big 'event'. Especially in TV.

I mean, you're not wrong, but it's not like Defenders wasn't this thing that everyone was super excited for years ago, especially since Avengers was still pretty recent at that point. So naturally people were hyped for the TV version of that, especially after seeing Daredevil.

I liked The Defenders, and was actually bummed it was only 8 episodes. I'm just not as cynical about the marvel shows as you guys seem to be.

I mean, you're not wrong, but it's not like Defenders wasn't this thing that everyone was super excited for years ago, especially since Avengers was still pretty recent at that point. So naturally people were hyped for the TV version of that, especially after seeing Daredevil.
Doesn't mean it was a good idea. Not 'everyone' was excited about it either.

I didn't watch and enjoy Jessica Jones and Daredevil and then think, "you know this is good but I sure would like it if I got more of these characters but instead of another season put them in an ensemble cast semi-related to what is going on in their own show."

hollomat

Banned
That's crazy that daredevil season 2 is outpeforming every single one of these shows by 3 times. Season 1 of daredevil was amazing and the punisher episodes of season 2 were great, but the hand episodes were trash.

Even so it deserves to beat iron fist by that much but Jessica jones and Luke cage were great.

Clawww

I enjoyed Daredevil S1 and Jessica Jones, but everything since has been progressively harder to get through. I skipped Iron Fist, and the first two episodes of Defenders didn't do shit for me. It's going to take some real good shit for me to bother with anything new from Netflix+Marvel

AlexBasch

I wanted to catch up on the rest of the Marvel shows to watch this one but I think I'm gonna skip them all and go for something else instead.

Yikes.

Top Bottom