• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sucker Punch Scrapping Infamous 2's Cole MacGrath Model.

Tron 2.0

Beer Monkey said:
Cole was a douchebag. I think he should die at the beginning of Infamous 2 leaving Zeke to take over.
No way. Zeke is the worst.

Going back to old Cole is lame. And what is wrong with you people that want to old voice actor back?! He was terrible!

See what you've done, Sucker Punch?

Tron 2.0

Beer Monkey said:
Supporting character Zeke notwithstanding, do you agree that Cole is the least likeable protagonist in any videogame, ever?
He has to be up there.

It's a testament to the gameplay in Infamous that I really enjoyed the game, but hated every single character in it.

Beer Monkey said:
Supporting character Zeke notwithstanding, do you agree that Cole is the least likeable protagonist in any videogame, ever?
Nah, that's got to be Kratos. Or Squall. Or Mario. Cole's a unlikable dick, but that's Cole. You can't just beam him out and replace him with a GQ model and have the whole cast pretending it's Cole. That's like some Twilight Zone shit right there.

RefigeKru said:
On the flip side, the rest of you trolls find it easier to associate with the grotesque abomination we used in the first Infamous.

Fake edit: I didn't actually mind the first game's character model, even if he was hella ugly. I just think the new one is better.

I just don't get the hate. He's a VG character that happens to look like shit. If there was a movie that starred Willem Dafoe and was replaced in the sequel by Brad Pitt, people would bitch. "Oh, that's different" no it's not. I became attached with the shit-stained, down on his luck old Cole. To me, I don't view him as just an ugly character but more like a person who went through what he went through. I was upset with new Cole because of continuity and not the look. I'd rather poor salt in my eyes then be upset with a way a character looks. That says a lot about most of you here. It's kind of funny, actually.

AAK

Lower your pitchforks people, they said they were gonna make him more like the old Cole, not the exact same one. I'm sure they will still apply their creative freedom to make the best possible result.

I love you Sucker Punch, keep being awesome!

Victrix

*beard*
Beer Monkey said:

No, Kratos by a mile

Cole was a personable jerk, Kratos was a complete parody by the third game

Yeef

LiK said:
I think it makes more sense. They could come up with something.
I don't think they could come up with anything that wouldn't completely negate the point of the first game's story.

LiK

Yeef said:
I don't think they could come up with anything that wouldn't completely negate the point of the first game's story.
They almost negated his entire design and changed his personality. I wouldn't be surprised by anything else they do.

Tron 2.0 said:
He has to be up there.

It's a testament to the gameplay in Infamous that I really enjoyed the game, but hated every single character in it.

Yeah, I liked the game too, but I wanted every character to die in a fire.

I was really hoping Infamous 2 would have a brand new protagonist and not retain any characters from the first game.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Jugendstil said:
34ozmsg.jpg
"Next Gen" gaming is pretty much a Poochy in itself.

-Winnie-

I think it was the right choice. He doesn't need to be ugly like in the original, but a middle-ground in which he still looks like he's the same person, albeit with a different look, is much better.
New Cole just looked like a completely different character.

Good good, he should look like his old self a bit at least. You can add hair, scars, whatever but new guy didn't look anything like him.

Owzers

AAK said:
Lower your pitchforks people, they said they were gonna make him more like the old Cole, not the exact same one. I'm sure they will still apply their creative freedom to make the best possible result.

I love you Sucker Punch, keep being awesome!

Their creative freedom lead to crappy characters in the first game to begin with.

Orobi

Beer Monkey said:
Cole was a douchebag. I think he should die at the beginning of Infamous 2 leaving Zeke to take over.

THIS.
Give a more intersting look to the new Cole and put away the generic bald (space marine) model.

This is incredible. Somehow I knew our complaining would do something.

Now how about changing his voice back to inFamous 1 Cole as well?

plagiarize said:
but James Bond can't be BLONDE...

but Doctor Who can't be played by a NORTHERNER...
Yeah, Cole 2 Character Model was definitely a better acting talent than Cole 1 Character Model. His thespian talents shall be missed!

your analogy kinda sucks dude

Haunted

yay

edit: wait, they're changing it back to the shitty design from Infamous 1? Oh lord. I was hoping they'd change it to a, you know, good design. Well, at least they've gone from completely shitty to a bit less shitty, so I guess it's sort of an improvement?

:/

Urgh, I always suspected that at SP there'd be some holdouts who clung to the fecal stench of the first game's characters, it's a shame they won out.

Frankly the best thing they could have done for inFamous2 would have been to kept the gameplay and scrapped everything to do the with the story and characters. Old Cole and everything to do with him, writing, voice acting, hell anybody who had any hand in the conception, design and implementation of him should have been sealed in a vault, encased in concrete, dropped in the middle of the ocean and covered in 40 tonnes of earth, never to see light again.

Once again, urgh Sucker Punch, urgh.

Haunted said:
yay

edit: wait, they're changing it back to the shitty design from Infamous 1? Oh lord.

I was hoping they'd change it to a, you know, good design. Well, at least they've gone from completely shitty to a bit less shitty, so I guess it's sort of an improvement?

:/
Ehn, they just said they're making him more like the original Cole. For all the whining about his shaved head, he very well may still have hair. They might have just given him his old face and leather jacket.

AAK

sillymonkey321 said:
Their creative freedom lead to crappy characters in the first game to begin with.

Hey man, speak for yourself the character design was pretty felicitous in context with the hell all the characters had to go through. examples, (WARNING SPOILERS)

Sasha -
Getting drugged and violated by Kessler day in day out
1059567-15524.jpg

Alden -
Losing everyone he loved and everything he lived for overnight by Kessler's revolution
1056248-images.jpg

Kessler -
Self explanatory, Going insane after having his family and values stripped from him because of his own perceived incompetance... making him think that the only solution is to carry out what happens in the game
1041545-kess.jpg

Haunted

Seda said:
No. It's not going to be the exactly the same as inFAMOUS 1 Cole, but an improvement on that so that inFAMOUS 2 Cole doesn't look like a completely different character.

That's what I gather anyway.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Ehn, they just said they're making him more like the original Cole. For all the whining about his shaved head, he very well may still have hair. They might have just given him his old face and leather jacket.
Well, here's hoping!

Parts

BITCH BITCH BITCH

Edit: I just wanted to fit in. We haven't even seem the final model yet, I'm hoping they come up with a happy medium.

Baki

Trevelyan said:
Dear Sucker Punch,

Please don't listen to your fans. If I wanted to play as Nathan Hale again I'd go back to Resistance.

This.

I only dislike the voice actor. Thats it. New Cole >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Generic Shitty Bald Space Marine.

Parts said:
BITCH BITCH BITCH

Edit: I just wanted to fit in. He haven't even seem the final model yet, I'm hoping they come up with a happy medium.

Edit 2: And the new voice is awesome, what the hell is with everyone hating anything that makes a guy sound socially aware here? Old Cole sounded like he'd been rubbing his throat with sand-paper (I still liked him, but it was a tad ridiculous.)
Yes, that's totally why people didn't like the new voice.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I thought the majority of the bad reaction to Cole 2.0 was because he was even more horribly generic and "focus tested" in his appearance and voice. Not because OG Cole was the bestest character design everer.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I probably wouldn't have minded as much if they made the new design LOOK like Cole at all. I think fixing up the new model to be more Cole looking would have been enough.

thcsquad

I'm come to the conclusion that the only way people won't bitch is if Cole dies after five minutes and Sly Cooper replaces him as the main character for the remainder of the game.

Ikkarus

InfiniteNine said:
I probably wouldn't have minded as much if they made the new design LOOK like Cole at all. I think fixing up the new model to be more Cole looking would have been enough.
My thought exactly, I dont mind alterations to characters but to completely alter the way he looks was just OTT.

GhaleonQ

thcsquad said:
I'm come to the conclusion that the only way people won't bitch is if Cole dies after five minutes and Sly Cooper replaces him as the main character for the remainder of the game.

I'd buy it!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they keep the new model's pants. That was the only good change in my opinion. The new face / hair looked worse than the original and I totally hate tribal tattoos.

Awesome.

Now if they'd only gotten a replacement VA who sounded *close* to the original, though potentially, they could have just used Kessler.

I, for one, like continuity in my games.

Direct sequel to God of War where Kratos is suddenly had tattoo removal, got a tan, shaved his goatee, and bought a toupee? Oh, and you replaced his VA with a little boy? Yeah, no.

Bravo to Sucker Punch for actually trying to incorporate fan feedback.

Top Bottom