• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sucker Punch Scrapping Infamous 2's Cole MacGrath Model.

ezekial45

Banned
Zefah said:
I hope they keep the new model's pants. That was the only good change in my opinion. The new face / hair looked worse than the original and I totally hate tribal tattoos.

That was the worst part about him, in my opinion.

El-Suave

I applaud this - I probably never could have embraced new Cole.
2npohk.jpg

We'll see if there's a big disconnect with the voices now, though.

Zefah said:
I hope they keep the new model's pants. That was the only good change in my opinion. The new face / hair looked worse than the original and I totally hate tribal tattoos.
Weren't the pants the only thing that was the same?

People who didn't like the first Cole design and voice clearly did not finish the game.

Edit: That's not fair, but I didn't like the original design up until the point where it "clicked" and now I can't see Cole any different.

vg260

Kaijima said:
I thought the majority of the bad reaction to Cole 2.0 was because he was even more horribly generic and "focus tested" in his appearance and voice. Not because OG Cole was the bestest character design everer.

Exactly. The Cole 2.0 looked 100x more focus tested and tweaked for mass appeal. The original was their original vision for the character.

Good call, Sucker Punch.

The new clip makes me think the voice will be mostly fine. I'm happy about that.

I'm happy that they are changing the look, but I hope they don't make him look too much like Cole in the first game. I mean, make him recognizable and improve from there. Problem with new Cole is that he looked completely different other than being a white guy.

sensi97

Good decision. Cole MacGrath should look like Cole MacGrath or don't call him Cole.
Alternative : send him to vacation or kill him and choose a new main protagonist.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Urgh, I always suspected that at SP there'd be some holdouts who clung to the fecal stench of the first game's characters, it's a shame they won out.

Frankly the best thing they could have done for inFamous2 would have been to kept the gameplay and scrapped everything to do the with the story and characters. Old Cole and everything to do with him, writing, voice acting, hell anybody who had any hand in the conception, design and implementation of him should have been sealed in a vault, encased in concrete, dropped in the middle of the ocean and covered in 40 tonnes of earth, never to see light again.

Once again, urgh Sucker Punch, urgh.
:lol

MrPliskin

Banned
I had always assumed Cole was bald in the first because of the accident?

My biggest concern right now is that the voice and model will not match up. I wasn't upset by the change because the new VA wouldn't fit the old model, IMO.

Still, old model + some hair wouldn't be a bad idea!

I don't like it when developers listen too much to the so called fans and forget their vision.

That said, the new model DOES look like crap and the old one was fine, so I'm not too sad. Devs probably felt the same.

Effect

Nice. I really enjoyed the original look to Cole. The rough look about Cole is what made him as a character work so well.

edgefusion

Great job guys, we've gone from a decent looking, attractive Cole back to the shell-suit wearing idiot from the first game. Amazing. I hate you all.

edgefusion said:
Great job guys, we've gone from a decent looking, attractive Cole back to the shell-suit wearing idiot from the first game. Amazing. I hate you all.
So we've gone from not-Cole back to Cole.

I'm really shocked how many people that clearly didn't like inFamous are so interested in the particulars of its sequel.

V_Ben

Banned
Seda said:
That sounds a lot better than what we've heard before! Sounds like Cole's personality is kept intact too.

I have faith that Sucker Punch will do a good job making Cole look like the same character from the first game but improves on the design.

Thats what I was thinking too. It definitely still sounds like Cole.

so instead of wannabe Drake we go back to wannabe bald space marine Cole. Great. Is that all their creativity can bring us? Fuck, just start modeling them after real people.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
His new voice doesn't sound *that* different from his old voice, and it REALLY doesn't sound right coming out of his new (now rejected) model. I'm really not getting the hate for the old voice actor combined with love of the new one. The new one sounds slightly less natural and more affected to me. Like a guy doing a voice instead of just a voice.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, that's totally it and not that people like having some continuity with the same fucking character between games.

FOR UNCHARTED 3 THE PART OF NATE DRAKE WILL BE PLAYED BY A SHORT ASIAN MAN WITH A RICH BARITONE VOICE

edit: AND HE TUCKS IN ALL OF HIS SHIRT

FUCK YOU MAN!

desertdroog

The only complaint I had regarding the Cole 2.0 was those abberrations passed off as tattoos. I would need backstory and context to understand their significance. They just came off as throw a bunch if whatever on his arms to show his tortured soul as he comes to terms with his evolution.

SolidusDave said:
You don't have to date him, duh!

THIS. Really confused about why so many people want a video game character to be attractive. I've been playing with a short fat plumber my whole life, never interfered with me liking Mario.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I like mailman Cole. He looked like he worked at a small package delivery service.

bdizzle said:
THIS. Really confused about why so many people want a video game character to be attractive. I've been playing with a short fat plumber my whole life, never interfered with me liking Mario.
Bitches love the 'stache man.

Meier

I didn't like the new look because it wasn't Cole. I was fine with the original one, not sure why anyone wouldn't be.

Draft

Wow, I bet everyone who was damage controlling the terrible Douche Cole model feel pretty silly right about now.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Draft said:
Wow, I bet everyone who was damage controlling the terrible Douche Cole model feel pretty silly right about now.

Or, you know, they just disagree with the decision and are chastising the whiners for prompting Sucker Punch to change their minds. But you'd have to read the thread to know that.

InfiniteNine said:
Bitches love the 'stache man.

yeah Mario is a bad example

nXdMI.jpg

Though I have to admit, I do prefer "normal" female characters to be attractive in games (/movies etc.).
Maybe they could rewrite the story to make ugly Cole very rich and/or famous... :>

speaking of the writing, don't they now have to change the dialogues etc. as well? Or will they keep hipster Cole's personality. That would actually suck as it's the main offender.

G-Fex

bridegur said:
The whole thing seems so focus grouped. Shame they're dropping the design that actually had a bit of distinct style.

I don't understand, am I the only one who sees it looking like some average guy?

V_Ben

Banned
Apparently pictures of the new (old) design were handed out at Sucker Punch's Comic Con panel. So... Get leaking internet! :lol

Top Bottom