• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sucker Punch Scrapping Infamous 2's Cole MacGrath Model.

Einbroch

Banned
He should have hair. And new clothes. If he wants a tattoo, fine. His face, however, should not have gone through reconstructive surgery.

Give me new Cole + Old Cole's face/voice and I'd be happy. But I was happy with new Cole too, so whatever.

webrunner

I always thought that Cole's hair in the first game was due to some sort of electrolysis effect (like in Powder) but since that obviously isnt the case, it kind of makes me like the original design less :/

spats

Bald Cole=too generic

Medium length hair Cole=too generic

Would you people be happy with a rastafari Cole? There's just no pleasing the internet. :(

Devs really shouldn't listen to fans when it comes to things like this. Ever.

spats said:
Right but they should have the common sense not to design a character that looks like 95% of other video game characters and the talent to not redesign said character like a total hipster douchebag.

Both suck horribly.

They really need to make up their minds before showing off the character no matter what he looks or sounds like. It's amazing to me how much time they are wasting on this.

spats said:
Bald Cole=too generic

Would you people be happy with a rastafari Cole? There's just no pleasing the internet. :(

Actually, that wouldn't be too bad. We could see his dreds in action while he flew all over the place. Like a more human version of Predator :D

Amir0x

Banned
Haha fan bitching wins again!

To all the people that always say "stop bitching" when they don't like hearing negativity...

Smash.gif
ff4j.gif
]
ff4j.gif
]
ff4j.gif
Smash.gif

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
spats said:
Bald Cole=too generic

Comments like this are merely a knee-jerk "everyone is stupid!" reaction.

Fans can bitch about the stupidest thing, that is all too true.

The bitching about the Cole redesign however was based on /something that makes sense/.

Some genius drew up a /totally different guy/ and said "this is Cole!"

Worse, that totally different guy looked just like the perfect "generic 30-something white male" that is currently being mocked in western games as the new stereotype.

Sucker Punch is recognizing here that they had a total brainfart with regards to character design, and have gone back to the drawing board to draw a new version of what is merely the protagonist of the franchise that actually looks like the protagonist.

People have solid reasoning for raising a skeptical voice at such things. Stuff like that /very/ frequently, in this industry, indicates that a development team is doing a slapdash job and is not paying attention to the details or continuity in a series.

Sucker Punch isn't responding to a few waffling Gaffers who are never happy with anything. They responded to the /overwhelming number/ of people who raised an eyebrow and questioned why they'd make the lead character look like a totally different guy.

When developers screw up is when they listen to the wrong kind of fan - the tiny but overly loud "hardcore" who insist on irrelevant details or make batshit insane demands on threat of mass-suicide in protest.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I'm glad, the new character model I had no problem with, the problem is that it ruined the continuity for me. It's like when they introduce a new actor in a TV series after the old one dies or quits or something, and everyone is just supposed to pretend it's the same dude.

Vivian no...

spats

Kaijima said:
Comments like this are merely a knee-jerk "everyone is stupid!" reaction.

Fans can bitch about the stupidest thing, that is all too true.

The bitching about the Cole redesign however was based on /something that makes sense/.

Some genius drew up a /totally different guy/ and said "this is Cole!"

Worse, that totally different guy looked just like the perfect "generic 30-something white male" that is currently being mocked in western games as the new stereotype.

Sucker Punch is recognizing here that they had a total brainfart with regards to character design, and have gone back to the drawing board to draw a new version of what is merely the protagonist of the franchise that actually looks like the protagonist.

People have solid reasoning for raising a skeptical voice at such things. Stuff like that /very/ frequently, in this industry, indicates that a development team is doing a slapdash job and is not paying attention to the details or continuity in a series.

Sucker Punch isn't responding to a few waffling Gaffers who are never happy with anything. They responded to the /overwhelming number/ of people who raised an eyebrow and questioned why they'd make the lead character look like a totally different guy.

When developers screw up is when they listen to the wrong kind of fan - the tiny but overly loud "hardcore" who insist on irrelevant details or make batshit insane demands on threat of mass-suicide in protest.

Thing is, you or nobody here has any idea of WHY Cole looked the way he did. I'm absolutely positive there was a story justification for it. Whether you liked his new look is another thing.

Bob White

Ahhh...The ole'

MGS___Solid_Snake_2_by_runaire.jpg

VS.
414319-raiden1_super.jpg

...discussion.

Back in 2001 I sided with the proper side and now I'll do the same. FUCK NU COLE. Happy to hear fans of the first Cole model are getting something more than a ladyboy forced on them.

The old Cole wasn't particularly interesting or unique, but they basically admitted the new one was developed via focus testing to be more like an extreme sports athlete. Regardless of which design was better, admitting something like that is incredibly clueless and leaves you open for massive amounts of derision from fans. I'm sure developers do stuff like that all the time, but are smart enough to keep it quiet and not use it as a PR bullet point.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
spats said:
Bald Cole=too generic

I think it was just better to add option to play with the old skin ( for the fans of that ) instead of remaking the whole thing again.

Hellion said:
Problem was with the Voice Acting change.

Not his hair.

Edit: Just heard his new voice and it better than before.

yeah , the new voice is just similar to Nolan North ,and many games using that now it was not the problem imo.

the black/white clothes ( especially the funky pants ) were my only problem with the new Cole design ,they do not fit for Cole or any "super hero" a new tracksuit can fix stuff with the new Cole.

spats

Seda said:
Thing is, any story explanation for an entirely new look would be completely retarded.

inFamous 2 takes place in a parallel dimension

or

After Trish died, Cole felt like there was a void in his life which he felt like he could fill by getting a makeover that included completely rebuilding his face

Just throwing those out there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Trevelyan said:
Dear Sucker Punch,

Please don't listen to your fans. If I wanted to play as Nathan Hale again I'd go back to Resistance.

They can give him hair, but from the E3 trailers of Infamous 2 he looks NOTHING like Infamous 1 Cole. Even the facial structure was weird.

fernoca

Meh..dissapointed with Sucker Punch.
Really liked his new look..but whatever..is one of those things were people complain if they change something, people complain if they don't..

Zen

Banned
jett said:
But you see, Nathan Drake is an appealing, good-looking character. Not an annoying, genetically deficient and vomit-inducing creation like Bald Cole.

Yeah basically this, old Cole, aside from his jacket, was complete shit as far as character design goes. Hopefully their new old redesign is something more in between. New Cole was at least a ton more appealing than the old design.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oh, that's cool. I preferred old Cole. And I like the new direction in voice-acting.

Om3ga

They should just offer the "old school" Cole model as a skin. That would work and you'd have both sides pleased.

Irish

Guys, this dude could not possibly have been a vicious dictator.

saddam_hussein-forside.jpg

I mean, just look at that face. As we all know, how we look determines both our personality and how our voice sounds.

Anyway, the only thing wrong with the Cole in that GI concept art was the bland, black V-Neck.

cole-anatomy-big.jpg

+

edge_20jacket_20white.jpg

=

Godly Cole. (Seriously, rust colored hair is generic now? I haven't really seen anyone with awesome hair like that in a game before.)

Nizz

fernoca said:
Meh..dissapointed with Sucker Punch.
Really liked his new look..but whatever..is one of those things were people complain if they change it, peopel complain if they don't..
Pretty much. They're damned if they do/damned if they don't. The change in the character's look didn't really bother me much. I was fine with the original Cole design but I was also fine with the redesign.

Maybe it was a pretty stark contrast to the original design, but I figured it's Sucker Punch's game so they know what they're doing. Some of you guys seem personally offended with his "douchey, hipster" look. Only thing I thought of is how awesome the gameplay is looking.

I had adjusted to the new Cole design, but if they return to the original design it'll keep an ongoing continuity with the first game and for players who invested in the character.

I'll admit recasts in movies for major/important supporting characters always bother me so I can understand people's frustration. But as far as the Infamous games it didn't bother me too much.

darkwing

stupid complaining fans , i liked the new Cole :( poor Sucker Punch though, damned if they do, damned if they don't

good thing the game is still awesome :D

Just as I was getting used to the new Cole. Ahh, I'll wait to see the new model before I make any decisions. The model did need updating, but that new voice will not go with inFAMOUS 1's character model for Cole.

Darkatomz

Eh? I'm pretty damn surprised they decided to revert back after the media we've seen. Not that I have a problem with either one unlike a bunch of whiners here.

But make the version we've been seeing an unlockable or something.

Irish

I don't think think anyone actually liked Cole's character at the beginning of inFamous. No, we only grew to love him as he sought to restore the city to order (or to dominate it) and the people of the city began to recognize his deeds. We were with him when he had to deal with all of the hatred coming at him and we came to appreciate his absolute resolve.

Now, for some inexplicable reason, we aren't willing to do the same for new Cole. Hypocrites...

I said in the previous Infamous 2 thread that got shitted up by complaints about the new look. No matter what Sucker Punch does, they'll get complaints. Switch to new or old will get complaints.

Irish said:

Wow. :lol

The writing in the tattoo segment (the only one I bothered to read) is amazingly insipid. Is this what I've been missing out on by passing up GameStop's corporate rag?

edit: lmao @ "urban exploration." I'd forgotten about that little gem of a quote from the first game. :lol :lol

Goldrusher

Irish said:
Anyway, the only thing wrong with the Cole in that GI concept art was the bland, black V-Neck.
In your opinion.

IMO, pretty much everything was wrong. The face, the sparkly eyes, the V-neck shirt, the tribal tattoos, the purse, the turtle shoes, etc. etc.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Irish said:
I don't think think anyone actually liked Cole's character at the beginning of inFamous. No, we only grew to love him as he sought to restore the city to order (or to dominate it) and the people of the city began to recognize his deeds. We were with him when he had to deal with all of the hatred coming at him and we came to appreciate his absolute resolve.

Now, for some inexplicable reason, we aren't willing to do the same for new Cole. Hypocrites...

I think the problem is that we are attached to Cole and we dont want him to get a makeover. Particularly if the story continues.

I have no issue with a new lead character if they want to redesign Cole into a different person, but his personality and character at the end of the first game was not reflected in the new Cole design.

Irish

AndyD said:
His personality and character at the end of the first game was not reflected in the new Cole design.

Eh, Cole seemed a little more hopeful and was finally beginning to understand that he has superpowers now and he has to face what comes with that.

Irish said:

I like in Spider-Man's second issue, where they changed an 18 year old, short brown haired kid into a 35 year old, long blond haired giant of a man.

It was hard to type when I heard the news because I was too busy slamming a beer and doing a moonwalk chicken dance around my laptop.

It's amazing; now both games will have the same protagonist. I think this is the first time I have trolled a gaming decision and it got changed! Now if I can get PSN Plus shut down it'll be my year.

Irish

Great, Mr. Fork. Can you go ahead and buy my house as well? That way you can evict me and leave me to live on the streets. :(

Dupy said:
A meltdown over Cole? GAF continues to surprise.

Haha, yeah a meltdown because I used swear words. Duck for cover and bolt the doors. As if the folks bashing fans about the re-change isn't a meltdown in the first place *rolls eyes*.

I'm just anti-bitching to those bitching about the change back... in a barbaric language to get through to the lot. Because appatently no one listens to why those of us were really upset. The continuity. Who cares what he looks like. Changing a character because they felt that a smaller-minded mass would apreciate a younger, hipper Cole is sort of pathetic and a slap in the face to many of us here. I enjoyed the first game no matter what the dude looked and sounded like. i don't need a marketing firm telling me I'll like this one even more because Cole is edgier. WTF!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Personally I think Sucker Punch should just eschew space marine/abercrombie cole for a more traditional masked powered person.

Good: Commander Zap!
Bad: Dr. Voltage.

ZephyrFate said:
Wonderful. :/
Don't agree with him, you'll just get sucked into the abyss.
I know it does kind of sucks that they ditched an original design for an Extreme Sports star but honestly in the long run...wait no it doesn't!!!! Eff yeah!
I am having a one man party right now, you guys should hang out

hanging a character because they felt that a smaller-minded mass would apreciate a younger, hipper Cole is sort of pathetic and a slap in the face to many of us here. I enjoyed the first game no matter what the dude looked and sounded like. i don't need a marketing firm telling me I'll like this one even more because Cole is edgier. WTF!
yeah this is what I would say if I weren't having a party right now. I remember hearing them say 'well people love the game but hated the character" and I thought where did they hear that and who convinced them it was true? I can't even imagine the awesome game ending speech being said by that character or voice.

Bob White said:
Ahhh...The ole'

MGS___Solid_Snake_2_by_runaire.jpg

VS.
414319-raiden1_super.jpg

...discussion.

Back in 2001 I sided with the proper side and now I'll do the same. FUCK NU COLE. Happy to hear fans of the first Cole model are getting something more than a ladyboy forced on them.

I loved Raiden. His voice and dialogue in many scenes were cringe-worthy... but I still loved the character and I understood Kojima's vision and the purpose of his role.

Hell, if Cole was replaced with a new character that looked like new Cole, I wouldn't be complaining. If Raiden wasn't Raiden and was instead a new look for Solid Snake, then I'd be bitching.

Top Bottom