• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad director: "Wish I had a time machine"; would make Joker villian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That's not why she made the team. That's just how she wrapped it up and sold it to the government to get the approval and funding. The SS exists to be expendable in situations where sending in a regular black ops team like Flagg and his buddies is too high risk. The movie did a terrible job at conveying that, but we do see Waller murder some random FBI agents for no reason, so we know she loves working with expendable people that she can discard when they become inconvenient to her.

That's weird because she did a terrible job of selling that premise to the government. The premise of "yeah these guys are expendable for black ops" would have been more convincing a sell.

Yeah the film lost me with all the voodoo stuff. Just completely ruins any sense of suspension of disbelief and sense of drama as you know they'll defeat her in some half assed way (and I don't exactly remember how they killed her, but some sort of macguffin did it, didn't it?).

Half of the squad were ludicrously forgettable. Indeed I only really remember Harley Quinn and Deadshot. And yeah that Joker... nope.

The entire movie was forgettable. Like, I don't even remember what happened. A giant cloud of debris flying in the sky, garbage monsters, and the Joker... That's all I remember.

Horrible, horrible, movie.

Shaanyboi

Banned
This is the same problem as the Avengers. Where was the Avengers when Thor was fighting aliens in the UK? Where was the Avengers when the president was kidnapped in Iron Man 2? Where was the Avengers where helicarriers are dropping out of the sky in Winter Soldier?

It's things like that when you just gotta suspense your disbelief and realize that if the Avengers or Justice League shows up for everything. There wouldn't be any solo movies or movies about other teams.
Except you could easily explain the situations in the Marvel movies.

Thor 2 - the climax is like all of 10 minutes and it's unlikely any of those cast members has Tony or SHIELD on speed-dial. Does Thor even know how to use a phone?

Iron Man 3 - Rhodey tells Tony near the start of the film that the government looked helpless during the alien invasion, so they want to seem capable in the public eye by dealing with the Mandarin. And by the time the government even learns of something going bad with Air Force One and the President, it's pretty much only acouple hours until climax-time anyway. When they do inform the Vice-president, he does nothing because he was in on it the whole time.

Winter Soldier - Cap can't call anyone for help since all channels are being monitored. And even if they saw what was happening on the news, who's to say they would have been there in time to do anything?

Ultimately these are all excuses for "Marvel didn't sign that contract," but even so, these explanations atleast work within the fiction.

That's weird because she did a terrible job of selling that premise to the government. The premise of "yeah these guys are expendable for black ops" would have been more convincing a sell.

I dunno, "expendable black ops" just isn't sexy enough of a proposal to a room of stuffy old politicians. They'd also never be able to convince the public that their use was justified. They're prisoners, but they're still human beings and all sorts of human rights activists would be protesting the use of unwilling convicts for suicide missions.

But a team to kill Evil Superman? That seems like a much easier sell. The American people happily, willfully gave up some of their freedom with the Patriot Act in the wake of 9/11. People seem not to care about liberty when evil foreigners are afoot, so treating prisoners like property wouldn't be a tough sell in that scenario.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I dunno, "expendable black ops" just isn't sexy enough of a proposal to a room of stuffy old politicians. They'd also never be able to convince the public that their use was justified. They're prisoners, but they're still human beings and all sorts of human rights activists would be protesting the use of unwilling convicts for suicide missions.

But a team to kill Evil Superman? That seems like a much easier sell. The American people happily, willfully gave up some of their freedom with the Patriot Act in the wake of 9/11. People seem not to care about liberty when evil foreigners are afoot, so treating prisoners like property wouldn't be a tough sell in that scenario.

"I have a plan to defeat a Superman-level threat. We'll send in a girl with a baseballbat."

I know politicians and bureaucrats are dumb, but seriously?

But the whole point of black ops is that no one knows about it. The American people are not supposed to know about the Suicide Squad. They don't have to try to convince the American people of anything cause they don't have a say in clandestine affairs like a squad of prisoners being forced against their will to risk their lives. Whether they're fighting superman or terrorists, the Suicide Squad program was never gonna be a topic disclosed to the public.

You cannot have plausible deniability when you announce that they are working for the US government.

Zen Aku

When the Guardians of the Galaxy were helping with the evacuation and protecting Xandar. Where were the Avengers?

Where were the Avengers when Luke Cage was fighting discount Samuel L. Jackson in a Party City Halloween suit?

Where were the Avengers when Daredevil and Electra was fighting 100+ ninjas on a rooftop?

And where was Ja Rule when Trump won the presidency? How does he feel about it?

Hmmmmmmm?🤔🤔🤔

Suicide Squad, the current film, would have done a lot better if it were the fifth or even third film in the DCUE franchise. But the second?

When the Guardians of the Galaxy were helping with the evacuation and protecting Xandar. Where were the Avengers?

Where were the Avengers when Luke Cage was fighting discount Samuel L. Jackson in a Party City Halloween suit?

Where were the Avengers when Daredevil and Electra was fighting 100+ ninjas on a rooftop?

Hmmmmmmm?🤔🤔🤔

1. They were stuck on Earth.
2. They were stuck in the Cinematic Universe Earth.
3. See number 2
4. Filming a return cameo in the next Fast and Furios movie. He probably doesn't like Trump.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

They don't need to convince the public. It's a clandestine operation that can be disavowed if shit hits the fan. The whole point of the appeal of such a group is that they can allow the American government to get its hands dirty without being exposed.

But not, we'll go with plan "We need to keep Superman in check with this dude who throws boomerangs and a guy who climbs stuff".

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Suicide Squad, the current film, would have done a lot better if it were the fifth or even third film in the DCUE franchise. But the second?

But it is the third.

Hmmmmmmm?������

1) eating shawarma
2) they were busy fighting each other over where to eat shawarma
3) they were on their way but then Tony received word Frank Castle got it and they turned around to get shawarma
4) he was smacking the ass and fucking all wild, probably either after or while eating shawarma.

Suicide Squad 2: The Dark World
PioFtFK.jpg

Disrespectful to Thor and the Dark World honestly.

FyreWulff

Seriously, what the hell was with the Enchantress hula hooping

the movie raises ton of questions but WHY WAS THAT HAPPENING

They haven't been assembled yet. The post-credits scene shows Wayne getting files on Meta-Humans from Waller.

This is post Superman death though so we're talking about a Wonder Woman who's decided to step back up, and Flash (who could probably make it anywhere in the country in minutes) is definitely active as SS itself shows. I could give this a pass if the whole event happened over a day but doesn't the whole Enchantress/Incubus event happen over like three? Correct me if I'm wrong there. The only explanation I could think of is that JL happens over the same time period and they're caught up with something else, but then they have that Bruce thing at the end suggesting that's not the case.

LakeEarth

"Gentleman, ladies: what if Superman had decided to fly down, rip off the roof of the White House, and grab the president right out of the Oval Office. Who would'a stopped him?

But I have a plan. Which involves a 110 pound girl with a baseball bat."

caliph95

"Gentleman, ladies: what if Superman had decided to fly down, rip off the roof of the White House, and grab the president right out of the Oval Office. Who would'a stopped him?

with her is bank robber that uses boomerangs, a guy with a skin condition and an expert climber.

lol. I think that's just their base hypothetical to scare the government into action since everyone there is well aware of how scary a rogue superman would be.

she didn't intend to have this squad ever be prepared to combat superman, just do her dirty work.

lol. I think that's just their base hypothetical to scare the government into action since everyone there is well aware of how scary a rogue superman would be.

she didn't intend to have this squad ever be prepared to combat superman, just do her dirty work.

If she was planning on using non super powered people then she could have just gotten a bunch of soldiers like rick flag and they would have been a. professionally trained and b. listened to her without having bombs put in their head

"I have a plan to defeat a Superman-level threat. We'll send in a girl with a baseballbat."

I know politicians and bureaucrats are dumb, but seriously?

The Enchantress could do it. Superman has never had a defense against magic. Mind you, this requires ignoring all of the other abilities Superman has.

If she was planning on using non super powered people then she could have just gotten a bunch of soldiers like rick flag and they would have been a. professionally trained and b. listened to her without having bombs put in their head

It's supposed to be C-List villains who go in to places where the U.S. wants plausible deniability and where the political fallout of losing soldiers is too high.

OldRoutes

Comicslogic determine that they stay confined to their respected cities. Batman didn't do shit to intervene in Man of Steel and Metropolis is right next to Gotham.

I think it's pretty obvious Batman hadn't been active for a while by the time Man of Steel happens, as seen in Batman V. Superman...

Also Man of Steel Earth event happened over a few hours, and there's not much Batman could've done. Prep time, yo.

I think it's pretty obvious Batman hadn't been active for a while by the time Man of Steel happens, as seen in Batman V. Superman...

Also Man of Steel Earth event happened over a few hours, and there's not much Batman could've done. Prep time, yo.

Oh isn't this complaint that DC Fanboys use to lob at Marvel Movies. Where were the Avengers in Thor 2, where was Cap in Iron Man 3, why didn't Tony help out Cap in Winter Soldier?

I think she fully intended to have the Suicide Squad face these weird threats. When Rick Flag reunites with her in that building, she tells him that he wouldn't have made it without the Squad's help. It's fucking weird because the Squad didn't do anything that the soldiers couldn't do.

Even if she intend for them to do her dirty work, the rest of the government is still operating on her stated premise. The Squad gets activated once Incubus starts causing havoc.

I think she fully intended to have the Suicide Squad face these weird threats. When Rick Flag reunites with her in that building, she tells him that he wouldn't have made it without the Squad's help. It's fucking weird because the Squad didn't do anything that the soldiers couldn't do.

Even if she intend for them to do her dirty work, the rest of the government is still operating on her stated premise. The Squad gets activated once Incubus starts causing havoc.

Yeah. Keep in mind Enchantress was supposed to be on the team. Not to mention Diablo. They were most definitely put together to fight metahumans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom