• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suikoden Community Thread | Please tell me the answer, is fate unchangeable?

daoster

Best Suikoden announced for US PSN! Too bad it's not playable on either PS4 OR Vita.

And if we don't even get a teaser or a title announced at TGS for Suikoden VI, despite it being ways off (I bet you FFVII Remake is Ways off), then abandon ye hope!

Best Suikoden announced for US PSN! Too bad it's not playable on either PS4 OR Vita.

And if we don't even get a teaser or a title announced at TGS for Suikoden VI, despite it being ways off (I bet you FFVII Remake is Ways off), then abandon ye hope!
I would love to see a teaser at TGS, but if we're going by the original rumor, Verendus said not to expect anything until 2016.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, so bummed that I can't play SIII on Vita. I have 1 and 2 on there and have been making my way though II again off and on.

I'll still go buy this because I want more Suikoden anywhere, but I really wish I could get it on Vita at least.

That's interesting. Well, everybody should like Suikoden, even Konami, it's a pity they don't
Well, there's still that Verendus rumor, and they've been making the effort to release the older games on PSN, so perhaps Konami is starting to care again.

Let's hope so. :)

I am about to start Suikoden I for the first time EVER now on my Vita... exciting :)

Anything i need to know beforehand? Should i play with a guide or just go in cold and enjoy the ride? I remember back in the day i played Suiko V without one and really enjoyed it (of course i didn't get all the stars)

The thing with these games where there's collecting to do is always this: If i end up just collecting a bunch here and there and end up with say 85 out of 108 or whatever, then it's fine, but if i end up with 107/108 then that really pisses me off and i'm thinking i SHOULD have used a guide lol :(

I am about to start Suikoden I for the first time EVER now on my Vita... exciting :)

Anything i need to know beforehand? Should i play with a guide or just go in cold and enjoy the ride? I remember back in the day i played Suiko V without one and really enjoyed it (of course i didn't get all the stars)

The thing with these games where there's collecting to do is always this: If i end up just collecting a bunch here and there and end up with say 85 out of 108 or whatever, then it's fine, but if i end up with 107/108 then that really pisses me off and i'm thinking i SHOULD have used a guide lol :(
Personally, I'd say go with a guide. Unless you really scour every inch of the game, you'll definitely miss some Stars, and if you plan on playing Suikoden II next (which I HIGHLY recommend) you'll want to go for the good ending, which is achieved by recruiting everyone.

The first game in particular has very little hand holding when it comes to some of the recruitment processes, and almost no resources for viable hints. There's a lot of guides out there too, many of them relatively spoiler free too.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy the game! :)

Ok thanks... I actually tried to find a spoiler free recruitment guide for Suiko I but it turns out it's not as easy as i thought to find one... you got any idea where to find this elusive thing? Apparently most spoiler at least one or two major plot points beforehand :(

edit: also, i just booted the game up and am experiencing a slight flicker at the top of the screen on my Vita for this game... Is that a known issue and is there a way to fix it somehow? (PAL PSN version, unless this one is somehow the US one, thought i read something about that)

Ok thanks... I actually tried to find a spoiler free recruitment guide for Suiko I but it turns out it's not as easy as i thought to find one... you got any idea where to find this elusive thing? Apparently most spoiler at least one or two major plot points beforehand :(

edit: also, i just booted the game up and am experiencing a slight flicker at the top of the screen on my Vita for this game... Is that a known issue and is there a way to fix it somehow? (PAL PSN version, unless this one is somehow the US one, thought i read something about that)
Can't help with the Vita problem unfortunately, but here's a good guide. The very beginning has a recruitment list which is mostly spoiler free. (It would be impossible to be completely without spoilers due to the nature of the game.)

http://www.suikosource.com/games/gs1/walkthrough.txt

I will give you one vague tip that should also help you. Always have
Phan levelled up and keep his weapon and gear up to date, you'll see why.

NEO0MJ

Hey there, Suikoden-gaf. Is there any place where I can read a summary of the first games plot? I don't want to start II without an idea of what happened before it, but I don't want to play the original.

Tiu Neo

Hey there, Suikoden-gaf. Is there any place where I can read a summary of the first games plot? I don't want to start II without an idea of what happened before it, but I don't want to play the original.

As someone who has played II before I, I'd say play II without reading anything from I, and if you like it, play the first one after that. You won't lose many plot points, save for a few character relationships, but if you play I after that, you get an similar effect.

(That, and I don't really know of any good summaries, sorry. Searched a few known fansites and found nothing.)

NEO0MJ

As someone who has played II before I, I'd say play II without reading anything from I, and if you like it, play the first one after that. You won't lose many plot points, save for a few character relationships, but if you play I after that, you get an similar effect.

(That, and I don't really know of any good summaries, sorry. Searched a few known fansites and found nothing.)

Thanks! Guess I'll give it a go when I feel ready this weekend.

Arthea

Thanks! Guess I'll give it a go when I feel ready this weekend.

It is not good idea to skip the first game, and that is only partly is related to plot. World building, character development, small things that never will be in any summary are some of most important parts of Suikoden, you are robbing yourself. I think it is absolutely necessary to play first one before Suikoden II, even more so that it is a short game.

It is not good idea to skip the first game, and that is only partly is related to plot. World building, character development, small things that never will be in any summary are some of most important parts of Suikoden, you are robbing yourself. I think it is absolutely necessary to play first one before Suikoden II, even more so that it is a short game.

I agree. I played 1 before 2 and feel like I would have regretted it if I hadn't, seeing as how major characters from the first game play a large role in this one too, and knowing their backstories certainly helped me appreciate them more.

I also beat 1 in like 15 hours or so, so its not like its a long or even a hard game.

So after playing a good couple hours of Suiko I i noticed that sometimes one of my characters will not use an item like i TOLD him to. What gives? At the start of the turn i tell 3 of my 4 characters to attack, which they do and one to use a med to heal where he will then just stand there doing nothing.

Is that a bug or ...?

So after playing a good couple hours of Suiko I i noticed that sometimes one of my characters will not use an item like i TOLD him to. What gives? At the start of the turn i tell 3 of my 4 characters to attack, which they do and one to use a med to heal where he will then just stand there doing nothing.

Is that a bug or ...?
What item specifically are you telling them to use? Some of them are auto-use only.

Just had my first major boss battle at the castle and... 2 characters got downed and there was seemingly no way to revive them? Before i am pretty sure i could just use medicine on a downed char. and they would get back up but this time whenever i gave the command to use an item, they never DID use that medicine on the downed characters so they STAYED down for the rest of the battle... what is going on here?

Just had my first major boss battle at the castle and... 2 characters got downed and there was seemingly no way to revive them? Before i am pretty sure i could just use medicine on a downed char. and they would get back up but this time whenever i gave the command to use an item, they never DID use that medicine on the downed characters so they STAYED down for the rest of the battle... what is going on here?
Medicine doesn't revive characters during a fight, only outside of battle. You need a special item called a Sacrficial Jizo or a certain spell to revive characters in battle.

Medicine doesn't revive characters during a fight, only outside of battle. You need a special item called a Sacrficial Jizo or a certain spell to revive characters in battle.

ahh bummer, well i am guessing that spell won't show up until later eh? That item as well probably so until then i am stuck to watching them lie on the ground and hope for the best with the rest of my party then against bosses... (that OR i could level up a little and be prepared for anything of course, duh)

ahh bummer, well i am guessing that spell won't show up until later eh? That item as well probably so until then i am stuck to watching them lie on the ground and hope for the best with the rest of my party then against bosses... (that OR i could level up a little and be prepared for anything of course, duh)
The item should be available soon but the spell is fairly rare. It's attached to the Ressurection rune, and those are pretty uncommon in the first game.

And the item isn't something you use like Phoenix Down or something of that nature, it's an auto use item. For example, if Viktor is in your party and he dies in battle, he'll automatically come back to life if he's got a Sacrificial Jizo in his inventory. But it has to be in the inventory of the specific character.

Also, this is unrelated but I should mention it anyway, eventually you'll start seeing large scale war battles. If anyone dies during those, I highly recommend resetting because those deaths are permanent.

Just had my first War battle... I think i got lucky since no one died but... is there actually a way to influence this at ALL? I mean can i protect them from dying somehow or do i need to start over each time this should happen randomly?

Niahak

Just had my first War battle... I think i got lucky since no one died but... is there actually a way to influence this at ALL? I mean can i protect them from dying somehow or do i need to start over each time this should happen randomly?

Unfortunately I don't know of any way to prevent death in the first one. It should be pretty darn rare, especially if you're using (strategy spoilers)
your ninjas and thieves before each round to ensure you win the rock-paper-scissors part
. You'll still have to roll the dice on a couple rounds for each war battle, but it's pretty infrequent. I think I've had it happen maybe three or four times in six or seven playthroughs.

Ok... so you're saying this can only happen if i actually LOSE the battle or do really poorly? I'd at least like to know what triggers it IF there is even a trigger at all hmmm...

Ok... so you're saying this can only happen if i actually LOSE the battle or do really poorly? I'd at least like to know what triggers it IF there is even a trigger at all hmmm...

I think it only occurs if you're on the losing side in a round of battle. Like if you use charge attack and the enemy uses magic. But even then it's incredibly rare. I've played the game about once a year since it came out (may have skipped a year here and there), and it's only happened to me once.

Arthea

not all deaths are permanent, I think it's somewhat random, sometimes a character remains dead, sometimes not (if it remains dead, it's better to redo a battle). You don't need to lose for a general to die.
If you are doing well, and that's possible in all Suikoden games, nobody dies.

Ok i won't worry about it then...

On another note, I have Gremio in my party since i already invested like 3 Thunder Rune pieces into him but somehow he does the LEAST damage compared to other members... does he just SUCK as a battle character? Are there some recommended/overpowered characters i should use instead? I just want to kick ass and while Victor and his clone rune or Kai+Hero and their master pupil attack really seem to get the job done, characters like Gremio kinda ruin the day here ;)

not all deaths are permanent, I think it's somewhat random, sometimes a character remains dead, sometimes not (if it remains dead, it's better to redo a battle). You don't need to lose for a general to die.
If you are doing well, and that's possible in all Suikoden games, nobody dies.
If the game says specifically that a character died, then they're dead. It's not random. The other alternative is if they're wounded, which means they've just withdrawn. (Some characters can't die in army battles due to story reasons, or if they serve a specific purpose in the HQ.)

Ok i won't worry about it then...

On another note, I have Gremio in my party since i already invested like 3 Thunder Rune pieces into him but somehow he does the LEAST damage compared to other members... does he just SUCK as a battle character? Are there some recommended/overpowered characters i should use instead? I just want to kick ass and while Victor and his clone rune or Kai+Hero and their master pupil attack really seem to get the job done, characters like Gremio kinda ruin the day here ;)
Gremio is required for a fair amount of story missions, so you're stuck with him for a while.

This game is easy enough that any character can be viable as long as you keep them well equipped (armor and runes) and their weapon sharpened.

that's not what I had in mind, I had in mind that a character can die in attack and end up dead or not after the battle.
I don't understand what you're saying then. What do you mean "die in attack"?

During war battles, if you choose the wrong command and you get the message "so and so has died.", then they're dead for the rest of the game.

Arthea

I don't understand what you're saying then. What do you mean "die in attack"?

During war battles, if you choose the wrong command and you get the message "so and so has died.", then they're dead for the rest of the game.

no, not always.

or I'm confusing my Suikoden games now, it's possible.

no, not always.

or I'm confusing my Suikoden games now, it's possible.
You are confusing things. If a character is specifically stated to have died during a war battle, then they're dead. There is another message you can get saying they were wounded, and in that case, they will still be alive after the battle. But death is permanent.

Arthea

You are confusing things. If a character is specifically stated to have died during a war battle, then they're dead. There is another message you can get saying they were wounded, and in that case, they will still be alive after the battle. But death is permanent.

I could have sworn it's not the case, but not gonna argue, I will check some day when I'll replay it.

If the game says specifically that a character died, then they're dead. It's not random. The other alternative is if they're wounded, which means they've just withdrawn. (Some characters can't die in army battles due to story reasons, or if they serve a specific purpose in the HQ.)

Gremio is required for a fair amount of story missions, so you're stuck with him for a while.

This game is easy enough that any character can be viable as long as you keep them well equipped (armor and runes) and their weapon sharpened.

That's what i thought as well BUT how come pretty much ANY character except for Gremio manages to do around 80-90 damage with a normal attack consistently at say level 28 when Gremio (at the SAME level an the SAME ugrades/weapon level than the others plus his 3 thunder rune pieces) only does a measly 50 or even less oftentimes?

Tiu Neo

If you find anything different, please let us know, but I'm pretty confident in the information.

What I'm thinking he's trying to say is that... there is a chance that a character that can die may sometimes only get wounded, when it's defeated after battle.

I do think that's the case, but now I'm not sure.

What I'm thinking he's trying to say is that... there is a chance that a character that can die may sometimes only get wounded, when it's defeated after battle.

I do think that's the case, but now I'm not sure.
That would still fall under the wounded messages I mentioned though.

Basically I'm just saying if the game specifically uses the word dead in an army battle, then that character is dead permanently.

So i had my Holy rune attached to Gremio permanently...

Now the fucker
died on me
!!!!

I can't figure out who to stick it on next since every worthwhile character that i regularly use in my party already HAS a rune on them and you can only have one at all times right?

Flik has Lightning, Luc has Wind, Fu Su Lu has Gale (to make him faster which he sorely needs) Hero has Soul Eater of course, Viktor has Clone and Pahn has Boar rune...

Any of these "expendable" to be switched with Holy? I just can't stand walking slow

So i had my Holy rune attached to Gremio permanently...

Now the fucker
died on me
!!!!

I can't figure out who to stick it on next since every worthwhile character that i regularly use in my party already HAS a rune on them and you can only have one at all times right?

Flik has Lightning, Luc has Wind, Fu Su Lu has Gale (to make him faster which he sorely needs) Hero has Soul Eater of course, Viktor has Clone and Pahn has Boar rune...

Any of these "expendable" to be switched with Holy? I just can't stand walking slow
In that group? Switch out Fu Su Lu's Gale Rune. Attacking quickly in the first Suikoden doesn't really matter much since the fights are generally quite easy.

But your current party has four S range fighters. (Five actually with Luc, but that doesn't matter too much for him since he's primarily a mage.) You're aware that S range fighters can only attack from the front row, right? You're limiting your damage options this way.

Ok, will do that....

Yeah i know, but like you said Luc is a mage so i only have him in the back regardless of his S range since to get some XP because i plan on using his magic attacks later for boss fights.

And i still need to decide on a worthwhile L or M fighter hmm..

c-murph

Just bring
Stallion
along. He's an L range fighter that comes with a special rune that allows for
Dashing with O, 100% escaping from battle, and faster movement on the world map.

Just bring
Stallion
along. He's an L range fighter that comes with a special rune that allows for
Dashing with O, 100% escaping from battle, and faster movement on the world map.

Thought about that before but... apparently he sucks really bad in battles :(

Niahak

Thought about that before but... apparently he sucks really bad in battles :(

Cleo is a pretty good all-rounder. Decent damage (better than that guy from what I recall) and an acceptable magic stat. I usually give her a fire rune early and she is plenty useful if you keep her sharpening up. Wouldn't necessarily be helpful with a holy rune, though.
Another option is
Kirkis
, leveling him helps get another recruit as well.

Cleo is a pretty good all-rounder. Decent damage (better than that guy from what I recall) and an acceptable magic stat. I usually give her a fire rune early and she is plenty useful if you keep her sharpening up. Wouldn't necessarily be helpful with a holy rune, though.
Another option is
Kirkis
, leveling him helps get another recruit as well.

This kinda sucks... So in the end if i want a holy rune i am kinda FORCED to pick a character and then remove his/her greatest strength for them to get the rune OR pick the party i like but walk around slow as molasses during basically the whole game? Is there NO other way? I thought there were some shoes which had the same effect? I do have Wing boots but i think that's different plus somehow they won't fit on ANY character so far...

edit: I decided on Kirkis for now... the fact that he just shoots from afar and pretty quickly at that makes random battles more bearable since they're over FASTER with him than with some slow mover and hitter etc. :p

Top Bottom