• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suikoden Community Thread | Please tell me the answer, is fate unchangeable?

Tiu Neo

So uh, famed NeoGAF leaker Verendus just stated in a Silent Hills topic that Konami is working on a new Suikoden game. (He leaked the FFVX name change and "Project Beast"/Bloodbourne FYI.)

I don't know how to feel. @_@

It'll be Tierkreis II. I'll only believe in a new, numbered Suikoden on the same world on the moment I see gameplay and returning characters.

Are there some people from the Suikoden V team left on Konami?

Suikoden III had one of the best openings in video game history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5JnlNtx_mM

Yes, it is! I remember watching this all day before I got my PS2 with Suikoden III :D

c-murph

We never got that Suikoden PSP game... *sniff sniff*

Man, we deserve a Suikoden VI... Even if its just one last game to tie up the whole 27 True Runes saga.

We never got that Suikoden PSP game... *sniff sniff*

Man, we deserve a Suikoden VI... Even if its just one last game to tie up the whole 27 True Runes saga.
They'd have to cram in way too much to tie things up in one game.

I don't think it needs to be tied up, nor that every single question needs to be answered. I just want to see it continue.

Another cool thing Konami Europe is doing is posting all the character art from the first two games on their tumblr account.

The majority of it is stuff that's already on the net (though lots of it is nicer/cleaner versions), but the biggest get was the following...

NSgy7qL.png

GfYg9qa.png

A nice large version of Rulodia which previously only existed as a scan from the encyclopedia, and portrait art of some Suikoden II characters that don't have full body pieces.

galvenize

Just finished Suikoden on vita and really liked it. I just bought S2 and feeling genuinely excited because of how good this one seems to be compared to the first. Now, better have that recruitment guide ready lol.

Tiu Neo

Just finished Suikoden on vita and really liked it. I just bought S2 and feeling genuinely excited because of how good this one seems to be compared to the first. Now, better have that recruitment guide ready lol.

Good luck! Did you get all the stars on 1?

Tiu Neo

Hell yeah. In these sorts of games, I'd hate to miss on a playable character.

Ah, good. Then it's better playing II with a guide.

Don't forget to make the extra quest, since you'll have a save from I. Not sure if a recruitment guide would cover it.

Your first time playing Suikoden II? You're in for a real treat.

Pretty much one of the ultimate JRPG experiences.

Konami Europe posted a pretty cool "love letter" article dedicated to Suikoden II. The English branches of Konami seem to be really pushing Suikoden right now. Hopefully the folks in Japan are paying attention.

What I would love to see is a reboot of the series. Do it X-Men Days of Future Past style and have all the games remade in alternate universe. Alternate dimensions are technically canon with the Million Worlds existing in the Suikoverse, why not utilize them? It would allow them to easily redcon any past story aspects that creates problems and simultaneously have room for creative freedom, like:
The fall of the Kooluk Empire, plot inconsistencies, and add characters in events/games that weren't there in previous installments.

Moving forward, I just hope that Konami will stay true to the core of what made the Suikoden so awesome, that is, the vast lore and interconnectedness of the series.

What I would love to see is a reboot of the series. Do it X-Men Days of Future Past style and have all the games remade in alternate universe. Alternate dimensions are technically canon with the Million Worlds existing in the Suikoverse, why not utilize them? It would allow them to easily redcon any past story aspects that creates problems and simultaneously have room for creative freedom, like:
The fall of the Kooluk Empire, plot inconsistencies, and add characters in events/games that weren't there in previous installments.

Moving forward, I just hope that Konami will stay true to the core of what made the Suikoden so awesome, that is, the vast lore and interconnectedness of the series.
Personally, I would not like that at all. The tried to do that with Tierkreis/1000 Year Tapestry and we all saw the results.

I don't think anything really needs to be retconned, (unless they try to bring in Tierkreis and 1000 Year into the main canon mix, a big NO THANKS to that) and I'd very much prefer that if/when Konami continues the series, they utilize the main canon world that they've already built up so much. Otherwise it's not really Suikoden to me.

Personally, I would not like that at all. The tried to do that with Tierkreis/1000 Year Tapestry and we all saw the results.

I don't think anything really needs to be retconned, (unless they try to bring in Tierkreis and 1000 Year into the main canon mix, a big NO THANKS to that) and I'd very much prefer that if/when Konami continues the series, they utilize the main canon world that they've already built up so much. Otherwise it's not really Suikoden to me.

Well to be fair I didn't have Tierkries in mind when saying that. I just meant remaking the original five but setting it another universe so you can add content to it. Like maybe
Georg Prime shows up with Prince in 2, Safir Clan is savable in 3, and the Kooluk empire actually exists in the present day. Seriously though, I loved Tactics but that ending made me mad.
But I digress.

I just fee like the lore in the orginal games was filled with so much untapped potential, differently worth revising. Don't get me wrong, if we get a new installment to the main series I'll be happy. I just thinking remaking the game so they all have a consistent flow to each other would increase the series overall. Also, I really miss transferring saved data. :(

Well to be fair I didn't have Tierkries in mind when saying that. I just meant remaking the original five but setting it another universe so you can add content to it. Like maybe
Georg Prime shows up with Prince in 2, Safir Clan is savable in 3, and the Kooluk empire actually exists in the present day. Seriously though, I loved Tactics but that ending made me mad.
But I digress.

I just fee like the lore in the orginal games was filled with so much untapped potential, differently worth revising. Don't get me wrong, if we get a new installment to the main series I'll be happy. I just thinking remaking the game so they all have a consistent flow to each other would increase the series overall. Also, I really miss transferring saved data. :(
I wouldn't mind a remake or two (I think the first game would benefit the most from it), but I wouldn't want a reboot. They could definitely flesh out some underserves parts that way, but I don't want them changing major aspects of the narrative.

The ending of Suikoden Tactics was kinda a flop, but in some weird way it sorta mirrors real history. Not everything gets tied up in a neat bow, sometimes they just deteriorate.

galvenize

Your first time playing Suikoden II? You're in for a real treat.

Pretty much one of the ultimate JRPG experiences.

Okay I had to take a break because I feel like I'm doing something I might regret. See I didn't mind using a recruit guide in the first game but I feel like I'm wasting my experience by using one in Suikoden 2. I'm in Toto right now recruiting people and stuff and more than one time I've been tempted to just throw away the recruit guide, play the whole thing blind and experience the game how it has been intended to. The other thing that I wouldn't like to happen is to miss out on a character I would've loved to use. I understand I could just play the game twice but I don't know if I will be motivated enough to do a second playthrough.

These conflicted feelings, what should I do :(?

Okay I had to take a break because I feel like I'm doing something I might regret. See I didn't mind using a recruit guide in the first game but I feel like I'm wasting my experience by using one in Suikoden 2. I'm in Toto right now recruiting people and stuff and more than one time I've been tempted to just throw away the recruit guide, play the whole thing blind and experience the game how it has been intended to. The other thing that I wouldn't like to happen is to miss out on a character I would've loved to use. I understand I could just play the game twice but I don't know if I will be motivated enough to do a second playthrough.

My opinion? Keep using the guide. There are a lot of characters that you'll almost certainly miss without it. Plus, missing out on the true ending (one of the best JRPG endings ever) would not be in your best interest if you want to get the most out of the game in one playthrough. There are guides that are almost spoiler free, so maybe it's just the one you're using that's not working for you.

To me, Suikoden games need guides to get the most out of them, and I don't think that ruins the games in anyway as long as you're using a good one. But if you do go guide free, get ready to be BFFs with Richmond.

Arthea

That's exactly how I feel it, playing Suikoden game with a guide is like waiting till icecream melts and only then eating it, it's beating all purpose and fun of finding things for yourself what Suikoden is about for the most part.
Checking a guide after you beaten the game and have no ideas where you missed what is OK, though, but not other way around.

edited: all Suikoden games are supposed to be played several times actually and it's fun to replay.

flowsnake

How far into Suikoden 1 am I if I just did the part with
fire spears
? About 9 or so hours in.

I'm not really enjoying it at this point. It's hard to see how 2 could be so much better, but I hope it is.

infi

From memory the only missable characters are Clive and Gilbert. Some characters you have to choose between and this can be an issue with getting 108 stars as not all characters you recruit are stars. You can only recruit 2 of the 4 big animals and one of the big animals isn't a star.

Futch and Humphrey might also be missable too but I'm not sure on that.

Tiu Neo

From memory the only missable characters are Clive and Gilbert. Some characters you have to choose between and this can be an issue with getting 108 stars as not all characters you recruit are stars. You can only recruit 2 of the 4 big animals and one of the big animals isn't a star.

Futch and Humphrey might also be missable too but I'm not sure on that.

Maybe you can lose Ayda, too? On all my all stars runs I always recruit Feather, so I'm not sure.

infi

Maybe you can lose Ayda, too? On all my all stars runs I always recruit Feather, so I'm not sure.

hmm you can recruit her without Feather if you lose that fight, I'm not sure if you need a Listening Crystal in your inventory to start the fight however. Like you I always get Feather so I'm not sure.

galvenize

I guess I'll continue with a guide for now.

How far into Suikoden 1 am I if I just did the part with
fire spears
? About 9 or so hours in.

I'm not really enjoying it at this point. It's hard to see how 2 could be so much better, but I hope it is.

I'm new like you and I've only played a few hours so far but oh boy 2 is heads and shoulders above the first one in every department.

Arthea

Tiu Neo

Yesssss. I love three. In fact, although 2 used to be my favorite, and then V, it's been 3 for some time now. Something about the trinity system just really balances out the pacing and character recruitment (particularly fond of the sleepy pace of Thomas' chapters).

Actually, prior to reading this news, and wholly coincidentally, I was struck by a need to play the game again. I got out my ps2, hooked it up to the HDTV w/ my old component cables, dug into my old games box, and then.... Couldn't find the game! Ordered a used copy on Amazon about 30 minutes before Siliconera broke this news =P

Tiu Neo

Yesssss. I love three. In fact, although 2 used to be my favorite, and then V, it's been 3 for some time now. Something about the trinity system just really balances out the pacing and character recruitment (particularly fond of the sleepy pace of Thomas' chapters).

Actually, prior to reading this news, and wholly coincidentally, I was struck by a need to play the game again. I got out my ps2, hooked it up to the HDTV w/ my old component cables, dug into my old games box, and then.... Couldn't find the game! Ordered a used copy on Amazon about 30 minutes before Siliconera broke this news =P

Well, at least you'll also have the physical copy!

daoster

Is PS2 classics compatible on Vita?? Or PS4? I never touch my PS3 anymore, and it'd be a shame not to get to play it again...my favorite Suikoden!!

daoster

with the impossible made possible (Shenmue 3 being made after a 14 year delay), and it being quite successful so far in terms of Kickstarter money.

I wonder if it's ever possible that Konami would allow Murayama to use the Suikoden trademark and basically Kickstart a Suikoden VI.

Probably not huh :(

arue

with the impossible made possible (Shenmue 3 being made after a 14 year delay), and it being quite successful so far in terms of Kickstarter money.

I wonder if it's ever possible that Konami would allow Murayama to use the Suikoden trademark and basically Kickstart a Suikoden VI.

Probably not huh :(
Never stop believing.

At least not until 2021 (15 years after Suikoden 5's release year).

That rumor may have been hopeful back then, but Konami's recent actions override any rumor.
They already backpedaled on that. I'm not sticking up for Konami because they have been really lame lately, but I 'm still choosing to put faith in Verendus.

Top Bottom