• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suikoden Community Thread | Please tell me the answer, is fate unchangeable?

mrduckbear

Neo Member
it's very disappointing that suikoden V had to bomb in order for them to drop the whole series now...i really loved it..i wish they gave a ps3 version :(

Arthea

it's very disappointing that suikoden V had to bomb in order for them to drop the whole series now...i really loved it..i wish they gave a ps3 version :(

ya, even if it's hard to ignore V's performance problems, it's still a damn good game, and great Suikoden game.
They should had fixed it and released HD version.
I'm certain it would have sold nicely.

TakeShad

Banned
Suikoden needs practical support from all respectable gamers out there. Calling all Stars of Destiny! This can easily work if we work together. It's been said before by a Konami insider that the drama is mostly about Konami USA's and SCEA's bosses not caring about this IP. Let them hear us. No bullshit attached, just a simple social media campaign from Suikoden fans for Suikoden fans.

http://thndr.it/1lNMsip

TakeShad

Banned
Was Suikoden I+II for PSP ever fan-translated ?
Not yet (if ever).

BTW, I honestly think that fans of Suikoden shouldn't think about fan translations because that is a little backward. We should do everything we can to revive this series. A re-release of the classics on PSN is a great start. Konami Japan might release a new Suikoden one day, but if the Western fans don't keep pressuring Konami USA and EU for re-releases of the old games, they will keep thinking the series is dead in the West.

Niahak

Was Suikoden I+II for PSP ever fan-translated ?

There was a team working on translating it to French a couple years back, but last I heard the effort had died midway. They had the tools to import/export text in English too. Wonder what happened to them.

All the side story games have been translated, and a good chunk of the radio dramas, too. The original translation of S1 & 2 is serviceable, and although the new features for the PSP remake are cool, I'd rather see Woven Web than that (and much rather a new main series game entirely).

Tiu Neo

Hey, everyone, some hope for at least Suikoden II on PSN:

https://twitter.com/InstallBase/status/496714139834658816

Oj22Aa6.png

This guy, Yuichi, works for Konami, and is streaming the first Suikoden on twitch every day, 3-5 PM PST:

http://www.twitch.tv/Konami

So I'm going to start playing Suikoden 2 for the first time sometime soon. Is there anything I should know before I start IE tips, early game missables and what not. Also is there a guide for the characters that is also not spoilery?

Only played the first game about 2/3 years ago using a guide I had out of a magazine from like... whenever tekken 3 was in the japanese arcades lol, and now want to jump into the second.

So I'm going to start playing Suikoden 2 for the first time sometime soon. Is there anything I should know before I start IE tips, early game missables and what not. Also is there a guide for the characters that is also not spoilery?

Only played the first game about 2/3 years ago using a guide I had out of a magazine from like... whenever tekken 3 was in the japanese arcades lol, and now want to jump into the second.
This is a good walkthrough to use. It's got a quick recruitment guide too that lists everyone in the order you can get them.

Tiu Neo

If they bring Suikoden II to PSN, I'd really like them to bring the PSP version with fixes.

There's a petition on it: https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/konami-localize-the-suikoden-i-ii-psp-pack-in-us-uk

I think the best way to do that is buying Suikoden II on PSN, showing there's demand, and THEN requesting older games localization.

Even then, I think it would be pretty hard to get I+II, since it's old, it was never translated, didn't sell well and had a few bugs that, for some people, killed the games.

Apparently, people have fixed most of Suikoden II's bugs. You can get the patch file here. It requires an ISO of the game though, and preferably the NA release.

Yeah, forget the PSP rerelease. I don't care about it anymore, now that I'm aware of this fan patch.

daoster

On this day, Suikoden Day, I'd like to just be a negative person and hate on how Konami has basically let this series with so much potential die and rot.

I remember browsing Blue Moon forums (and later Suikosource) and just reading about the rich lore and history of Suikoden, and arguing and debating about whether this piece of information was relevant,or speculating where the setting of the next Suikoden would be, and what story thread it'd pick up next. I remember Blue Moon try to scheme on how he would run into one of developers (I think it was one of the artists or whatever), and try to pass on a message on behalf of the Suikoden community. We were one of the most passionate community of fans around.

There literally is no chance of this series continuing as the series that we all loved anymore. It's been 8 fucking years since the last main Suikoden game and 12 years since a Murayama directed Suikoden. There is no fucking chance of another Suikoden in the vein the ye old ones that we loved anymore.

I get that last gen, costs skyrocketed, and Japanese companies couldn't keep up with the rest of the world in terms of next gen, but goddamn, when Handhelds were dominating the charts in Japan, when Suikoden was still fairly fresh in the minds of RPG gamers everywhere, they release not one, but TWO games that barely have anything to do with the Suikoden that everybody wanted.

I'm almost afraid to wish for a new Suikoden, lest Konami pulls a Breath of Fire 6 on us. There's more chance of an IAP Mobile Game with 108 Moe stars to be released than there is a proper Suikoden game these days.

Konami can't even be half assed to load an ISO of Suikoden II onto PSN for more people to play. Yeah, I'm sure all these community managers from Konami US or Konami EU are assuring us they're telling their bosses, but they're just low level grunts (no offense to any community managers here), and I doubt despite their best intentions, they can really do anything for us.

Sorry for the rant, on this day, Suikoden day. I'm just a severely depressed guy when it comes to Suikoden and how Konami has screwed the pooch with this series. (With all their series, really, except MGS, but other than MGS, this is the only Konami series I care about).

Tiu Neo

Sorry for the rant, on this day, Suikoden day. I'm just a severely depressed guy when it comes to Suikoden and how Konami has screwed the pooch with this series. (With all their series, really, except MGS, but other than MGS, this is the only Konami series I care about).

We all know that feel. Even then, we can at least try to get Suikoden II on PSN, so at least more people can play the game. We have a real chance here, let's try.

No hope for Suikoden VI, at least for now, but I'm happy with the wonderful games we already got.

BTW, Konami is streaming the first Suikoden, again: http://www.twitch.tv/Konami

If you guys could follow their channel, it would help a lot.

Paertan

Rant is justified. I get that the sales of previous games are not good enough for a AAA Suikoden on PS3/360 or PS4/Xbone but releasing handheld games that basically just use the name Suikoden and some influences was a slap in the face. I will always hope for a true sequel but I think the series is dead.
Konami please prove me wrong this Tokyo Game Show!

carlo6529

Recently played Suikoden Tierkreis; currently the only game of the series I've played. I've heard so many good things about Suikoden II but it seems near impossible to find unless you are willing to pay 150$ plus for it.
Any other games of the series worth playing that is easier to find? Or should I give up on the series like it seems Konami has..?

Recently played Suikoden Tierkreis; currently the only game of the series I've played. I've heard so many good things about Suikoden II but it seems near impossible to find unless you are willing to pay 150$ plus for it.
Any other games of the series worth playing that is easier to find? Or should I give up on the series like it seems Konami has..?

If you enjoyed Tierkreis, boy, are you in for a treat when you play a real Suikoden game. The first is available on PSN; I suggest you buy it ASAP. If you can find Suikoden III and V on ebay for a reasonable price, buy them. Both are great. V is my personal favorite, followed by II. IV is not good; don't touch it.

carlo6529

If you enjoyed Tierkreis, boy, are you in for a treat when you play a real Suikoden game. The first is available on PSN; I suggest you buy it ASAP. If you can find Suikoden III and V on ebay for a reasonable price, buy them. Both are great. V is my personal favorite, followed by II. IV is not good; don't touch it.

Thanks man. Tierkreis was fairly bland but there was a lot of elements to it that I liked enough to spark my interest in the series. If I can't find a hard copy of Suikoden 1 fairly soon, i'll definitely get it on psn. Thanks for the advice.

Tiu Neo

So... Yuichi and TK from Konami finished playing Silent Hill 4 last Tuesday. That means he'll start playing Suikoden II... maybe today? I tweeted him to get the confirmation, but if he doesn't reply, just tune into http://www.twitch.tv/Konami in about ~45 minutes to know.

Even if it's not today, it'll be... soon enough. They are using those numbers to show Konami of Japan that it's viable to, at least, release Suikoden II as a PS1 Classic, so if everyone here could watch and follow the channel... It would help, a lot!

EDIT: CONFIRMED. STARTING NOW: http://www.twitch.tv/Konami

So... Yuichi and TK from Konami finished playing Silent Hill 4 last Tuesday. That means he'll start playing Suikoden II... maybe today? I tweeted him to get the confirmation, but if he doesn't reply, just tune into http://www.twitch.tv/Konami in about ~45 minutes to know.

Even if it's not today, it'll be... soon enough. They are using those numbers to show Konami of Japan that it's viable to, at least, release Suikoden II as a PS1 Classic, so if everyone here could watch and follow the channel... It would help, a lot!

EDIT: CONFIRMED. STARTING NOW: http://www.twitch.tv/Konami

As a lifelong Suikoden fan, can't say I have much hope that it will amount to anything. Konami has Theon Greyjoy'd me one too many times to the point where I don't ever expect anything Suikoden related to ever come out. I... ah.. screw it. I'll watch it anyway.

Tiu Neo

As a lifelong Suikoden fan, can't say I have much hope that it will amount to anything. Konami has Theon Greyjoy'd me one too many times to the point where I don't ever expect anything Suikoden related to ever come out. I... ah.. screw it. I'll watch it anyway.

Well, it's a glimmer of hope after all those years, so...

I'm having a surprising amount of fun watching this. The guy just got Muku early and the chat went wild. Konami why do you tease me so?

I'm having a surprising amount of fun watching this. The guy just got Muku early and the chat went wild. Konami why do you tease me so?
I remember finding out for myself that you can get Mukumuku early. I thought it was so cool. (What possessed me to keep checking that tree, I don't know.)

Tiu Neo

I remember finding out for myself that you can get Mukumuku early. I thought it was so cool. (What possessed me to keep checking that tree, I don't know.)

I didn't, on my first gameplay. In the end, it was good, as I learnt the "hard" way to get him... and also that there are other squirrels to get. Squirrel Squad ftw.

Tiu Neo

Hard way to get him is too hard, though (><)
that's something I made, just for fun once

Mukumuku was... hard. Not sure why.

Had no difficulty at all getting the other squirrels, but that time I had to get him on the world map, it took me more than one hour for him to show up, iirc.

Oh, today Konami will stream a Let's Draw for Silent Hill 4, Suikoden II streaming will resume monday.

Just play the game. Suikoden 2 has a great plot and characterization. You don't want to stress too much on what characters you missed.

If I'm going to play Suikoden II for the first time, should I worry about getting all the characters or just play?
The endings depend on how many characters you get (as well as some in-game choices), so I don't think using a guide is a bad idea. There's a lot of great and concise recruitment FAQs out there.

But if not, the game is still incredibly enjoyable, but don't expect to get everyone without some assistance, as some of the recruitment stipulations are not that intuitive. (Not that many, but enough.)

Tiu Neo

If I'm going to play Suikoden II for the first time, should I worry about getting all the characters or just play?

I'd say just play. Most characters are easy to get, you'll have to backtrack to get a few but normally that isn't a problem, and I think only a few are missable, with only one being really a problem to get, iirc.

Top Bottom