• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suikoden Community Thread | Please tell me the answer, is fate unchangeable?

Tiu Neo

Looking at the wikipedia page for the series, it gives conflicting info: the opening sentence says it's owned by Media.Vision, but other things in the article hint that it's owned by Sony (as does the official website).

I guess Sony does own the franchise, but the games are so entwined with Media.Vision that they might not give it to another partner easily.

Also, it appears there is already a "Wild Arms Mobile", puzzle / flash-y games developed for Japan-only mobile platforms. It's already happened.

So, all that remains is Suikoden VI Social. Your facebook friends are the stars of Destiny.

Ugh, better stop before giving Konami any ideas. D:

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just got Suikoden 2 on Ebay for 135. Hope this is worth all the hype!
I just posted today about Suikoden I+II PSP...did anyone ever patch English into that?

DMiz

Finally managed to get a copy of Suikoden V.

Took a long time to get here, but managed to reach the point at which
the Prince gets new clothes.
Seems interesting so far; the first few hours were more or less as bad as people were saying it was, but at this point, things are picking up and enough of the plot development is happening between dungeons that it's keeping me engaged.

IrishNinja

^so how you liking it so far?

also: i finally replace my copy of Suiko 2 last year, but picked up a loose one on the cheap...i was debating a replica manual but then i'd still need a case, so for now i was thinking maybe the JP/Genso Suikoden 2 one, but does anyone know if the text on the actual spine is in english or japanese?

ps schalas is banned, what the hell

Tiu Neo

^so how you liking it so far?

also: i finally replace my copy of Suiko 2 last year, but picked up a loose one on the cheap...i was debating a replica manual but then i'd still need a case, so for now i was thinking maybe the JP/Genso Suikoden 2 one, but does anyone know if the text on the actual spine is in english or japanese?

ps schalas is banned, what the hell

I think it's in japanese, but I'll ask a friend that has the japanese copy, to be sure.

IrishNinja

i think you're right! going with a cheap-o knockoff case and looking for another replica manual since that one sold.

Arthea

for the second there I got scared that suikosource is no more. I haven't been there in years, but it feels good to know that it still lives.
If only Konami rereleased all games, if only. :(

I started Suikoden 2 yesterday for the first time... And it is SO good! Much better than the original in every way (well, besides the music) which I played also for the first time one year ago. And coming off FF6, I think Suikoden 2 has aged much better. I haven't enjoyed a JRPG so much in a while.

Question: how many years in the storyline have passed between Suikoden I and II? Because I don't see many references so far to the previous game.

EDIT: I am 6 hours in, just read the synopsis in the OP and got spoiled for what will happen between the two main characters... :'(

Man, I really miss the series. It is still my favorite RPG of all time. I'm still holding out hope that Konami can get their collective heads out of their asses and release a new game. Or at the very least, re-release the old games with achievements, improved graphics, and other added features. Improbable Yes, but a SoD can dream.

Now in days, when I revisit the old forums I used to frequent, I find that most of them are either long gone or lacking in activity. Reminds me of this Suikode Song actually.

So Suikofans, how far do you go back? When did you play your first Suikoden game? What was it? What was your first experience with the community?

Personally, I come from the old days of Suikocastle, circa 2002ish. My cousin got me into the series, as he let me play Suikoden 2 from time to time. From there, I bought 3, then eventually 1, then 2, and all of them as they came.

After Suikocastle, I went to 27runes.net, when that died, hung out in Suikosource until I discovered Suikox. Actually met the love of my life there, and after it died I became preoccupied with school and haven't really sought out any other forums. Though, I'm technically subscribed to the Suikoden Subreddit, it's not very active. I still love the series to death however, and the day Konami announces Suikoden VI, is the day I die of an orgasm attack (penile version of a heart attack).

Man, I really miss the series. It is still my favorite RPG of all time. I'm still holding out hope that Konami can get their collective heads out of their asses and release a new game. Or at the very least, re-release the old games with achievements, improved graphics, and other added features. Improbable Yes, but a SoD can dream.

Now in days, when I revisit the old forums I used to frequent, I find that most of them are either long gone or lacking in activity. Reminds me of this Suikode Song actually.

So Suikofans, how far do you go back? When did you play your first Suikoden game? What was it? What was your first experience with the community?

Personally, I come from the old days of Suikocastle, circa 2002ish. My cousin got me into the series, as he let me play Suikoden 2 from time to time. From there, I bought 3, then eventually 1, then 2, and all of them as they came.

After Suikocastle, I went to 27runes.net, when that died, hung out in Suikosource until I discovered Suikox. Actually met the love of my life there, and after it died I became preoccupied with school and haven't really sought out any other forums. Though, I'm technically subscribed to the Suikoden Subreddit, it's not very active. I still love the series to death however, and the day Konami announces Suikoden VI, is the day I die of an orgasm attack (penile version of a heart attack).
First played Suikoden in 96, when it came out in North America.

My first community experience was Questions for Blue Moon, back on EZBoards. That's quite the throw back. XD

First played Suikoden in 96, when it came out in North America.

My first community experience was Questions for Blue Moon, back on EZBoards. That's quite the throw back. XD

Holly carp, that is pretty old school. I know the founder of Suikox recruited a lot of old members, whom all became mods, from that site. Right on man.

Also, 10 potch to anyone that can guess my favorite character. :U

Xelinis

Hey guys, we at the Suikoden Revival Movement have just announced our next campaign event:

Today, we are pleased to announce our next campaign event; Operation Flaming Arrows! For this event, we're be taking the fight to Twitter with a target that may surprise some of you: Sony!

Sony has long been known having close relationships with their third party developers, and we intend to make use of that by sending them the message, "Please help Konami bring back Genso Suikoden!" In addition to the standard Sony Playstation accounts, the event will also target the accounts of the Sony execs who can help make the difference, including:

Gio Corsi (https://twitter.com/giocorsi)
Shahid Ahmad (https://twitter.com/shahidkamal)
Shuhei Yoshida (https://twitter.com/yosp)

Join us on April 23th for this one-day-only event and help us show Sony the continued fan support that this great franchise still has!

Joei

I remember many, many moons ago I was at Toys R Us and saw Suikoden there and it seemed pretty cool so I went and rented it. I only played a few hours after I got home cause I was blown away with how cool it was I had to buy it. I remember talking about it with friends at school. Playing this and Castlevania SotN and all those old classics pre-internet explosion and talking about them with friends at school (I was in high school) was great. I remember sending an email to Konami to make another Suikoden game after I thoroughly played the first, lol (from my AOL account no less). I bought every one after that on release day. I never finished the 4th or 5th however. I got pretty far in 4, but couldn't get to finishing it. I just thought the quality drop was so significant, like the series was not what I loved about the first three. 5 I could never finish. I could never get into that one. But man, I was so obsessed with the first three. I remember going to Suikosource soooo much.

That said, I'd love to see a 6th, but only if Murayama was involved. Even if he wasn't, I'd still give a look, but I think without him the series lost its magic.

I remember many, many moons ago I was at Toys R Us and saw Suikoden there and it seemed pretty cool so I went and rented it. I only played a few hours after I got home cause I was blown away with how cool it was I had to buy it. I remember talking about it with friends at school. Playing this and Castlevania SotN and all those old classics pre-internet explosion and talking about them with friends at school (I was in high school) was great. I remember sending an email to Konami to make another Suikoden game after I thoroughly played the first, lol (from my AOL account no less). I bought every one after that on release day. I never finished the 4th or 5th however. I got pretty far in 4, but couldn't get to finishing it. I just thought the quality drop was so significant, like the series was not what I loved about the first three. 5 I could never finish. I could never get into that one. But man, I was so obsessed with the first three. I remember going to Suikosource soooo much.

That said, I'd love to see a 6th, but only if Murayama was involved. Even if he wasn't, I'd still give a look, but I think without him the series lost its magic.
V is just as magical as II, I'd suggest giving it another chance. (IV is worth finishing at least once too, especially when played in tandem with Tactics.)

I'll be the first to admit the overall quality of the games fell after IV. Perhaps its the fanboy in me, but I find even IV and V had redeeming qualities in it to make it on par the other games. IV, while the island idea was original and the HUD was rather tedious, the overall look of the game was absolutely stunning. I was a major fan of the voice acting and many of the characters. It probably had the worst war system of the series, which was disappointing because it had so much potential. However, it also had the best OST of any game in the series, if not tied with III. I'm not ashamed to admit that I still have all those songs still on my iPod. IV also had my favorite Star of the series. He's missable but worth it because he's the only star from Suikoden I. Which is surprising since the game takes place 150 years before the events of Suikoden I.

And I have to say my favorite part of Ted being an SoD is the ability to use the Soul Eater once again.

V is just as magical as II, I'd suggest giving it another chance. (IV is worth finishing at least once too, especially when played in tandem with Tactics.)

I think Tactics goes beautifully in tandem with IV actually. I was actually a huge fan of Tactics, despite many fans also hating it.

I was annoyed that we never were able to explore Gaien, but I have to say the biggest sin in Tactics was the ending, in which the Kooluk Nation fell. Yeah, it had the problem of adding another nation that was never mentioned in future timelines, but I never saw it as a problem. It wouldn't even had been much of a red-con, as just because we never heard it in Suikoden I-III, didn't mean it doesn't exist. Also, we do hear that in Suikoden II, that president Lepant at one point is worried about the "Southern Border," they could have easily meant Kooluk. But whatever, I digress.

Those big gripes aside, Tactics was amazing. And having the ability to bring Lazlo back... So great.

And all I have to say about 5 is... well while I think it has some major flaws, what makes it really great is it's story, war system. Overall, it's really just a love letter to the fans.

I mean we had many characters returned, various tie ins from other games, and even little stuff that you'd never notice.

Like the fact that Milich Oppenheimer was present during the coronation ceremony.

All of them have a special place in my heart. But then again, I'm just a biased fan boy.

Arthea

For the starters I'll say that I like all mainline Suikoden games, I like 4 a lot, played it many times and I think 5 is as good as 2 if not better, if only there were no problems with long and frequent loadings, 5 really is in need of remake with different engine, perhaps, but Konami will never do that.

I started from very first in 90-ties, it's still one of my favourite game of all times. I loved every one after that, I thought that third was rather bad at being Suikoden, but was a great game regardless, 4th was interesting, different and had great gameplay, only RE were brutal, 5th as I said is great, even with having slowest start in series and loading problems, it's still great.

I can't understand why Konami seemed never to care about Suikoden series at all, it's the best thing they ever made, in my opinion (><)

Joei

For the starters I'll say that I like all mainline Suikoden games, I like 4 a lot, played it many times and I think 5 is as good as 2 if not better, if only there were no problems with long and frequent loadings, 5 really is in need of remake with different engine, perhaps, but Konami will never do that.

I started from very first in 90-ties, it's still one of my favourite game of all times. I loved every one after that, I thought that third was rather bad at being Suikoden, but was a great game regardless, 4th was interesting, different and had great gameplay, only RE were brutal, 5th as I said is great, even with having slowest start in series and loading problems, it's still great.

I can't understand why Konami seemed never to care about Suikoden series at all, it's the best thing they ever made, in my opinion (><)

OMG, that was it. That was my biggest gripe with 5!! I remember liking how they changed up the battle system in the random encounters a little with being able to put your party in different positions and that, and I remember tolerating the story, but it was the loading!! I swear it was like 5-7 seconds of loading after every random encounter, it was unbearable for me. I remember liking how it was back to Suikoden 1 and 2 style graphics and being excited for that, but damn that loading. I don't know if I could ever go back to the game.

As for your opinions on 3.. .I don't know. It has my favorite story in the series and my absolute favorite cast of characters. I loved the castle setup as well. I don't think the chapter feature worked as they had originally planned, however. It was a cool concept, but going through some of the same areas over and over with different characters to see the different perspective wasn't as fun as it seemed on paper. I liked the battle system after getting used to it, though it may have been an unneeded change.

On a side note, for 4, I absolutely loved the graphics and artstyle of the game. Hated the 4 man parties though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What would it take to get Sony to release II in its original state on PSN? Who would even have a problem with the issues it has at this point?

Arthea

What would it take to get Sony to release II in its original state on PSN? Who would even have a problem with the issues it has at this point?

I'm not sure I follow, what Sony has to do with it? It's Konami that's not willing, even after all e-mails, petitions and begging. They simply don't care about Suikoden at all :(

I can understand that, it's still worth suffering through all that, as 5 is wonderful.

Ya, many great characters in 3 and as I said it is a great game, it just doesn't quite feel like a good Suikoden. The Manor doesn't feel like a castle and there is not enough to do there, most of the game we have no access to most of characters, what's supposed to be biggest part of Suikoden, meaning having so many characters available all the time and so on.

Niahak

I was under the impression it was a few issues at play:
  1. Untranslated sections of the game
  2. Bugs in the game (e.g. Matilda glitch)
  3. Sony's policy that games not be modified for PSN release, pass some level of quality control, and have the same ESRB rating
It may be true that some of these issues are on Konami to fix / apply some pressure, but I got the impression that Sony was a sticking point more than Konami when there was some discussion of Gaijinworks possibly doing the legwork to get it on PSN.

I doubt Konami wants to leave money on the table, whether they care about Suikoden as a series or not.

Arthea

I was under the impression it was a few issues at play:
  1. Untranslated sections of the game
  2. Bugs in the game (e.g. Matilda glitch)
  3. Sony's policy that games not be modified for PSN release, pass some level of quality control, and have the same ESRB rating
It may be true that some of these issues are on Konami to fix / apply some pressure, but I got the impression that Sony was a sticking point more than Konami when there was some discussion of Gaijinworks possibly doing the legwork to get it on PSN.

I doubt Konami wants to leave money on the table, whether they care about Suikoden as a series or not.
I think this Sony policy applies only to ports, they don't need to do anything to release a game as PS1 classics, it's not a port, it's an original game, at least they did that with Suikoden (first one) on US PSN back in 2008, not for us though. We don't get anything :(
It really has nothing to do with Sony, unless I imagine all process wrongly somehow.

Niahak

I think this Sony policy applies only to ports, they don't need to do anything to release a game as PS1 classics, it's not a port, it's an original game, at least they did that with Suikoden (first one) on US PSN back in 2008, not for us though. We don't get anything :(
It really has nothing to do with Sony, unless I imagine all process wrongly somehow.

There are several different people surmising (or in some cases asserting) conflicting info, but this seemed most on-point to me from the "Why isn't Suikoden 2 on PSN" thread. This one's about Breath of Fire 3, but I bet some scenes from Suikoden 2 (maybe bath scenes, or Rina's scene with the border guard) would bump up the rating or not pass legal muster other ways.

I'm having trouble finding my original source from awhile ago, so if this information is incorrect I apologize and I'm going off of memory (maybe someone who is better at the Internet than I knows where to find the facts). And this information I believe only applies to the US PSN, other countries probably vary.

What I had read was that when games are put on PSN they have to be evaluated to make sure they meet certain requirements. If they are PS1 games they must be submitted as is. When BoF3 was reviewed for PSN release it was deemed that it was deserving of a Mature rating as opposed to the Teen rating it had originally received. Supposedly, this is because of a scene or two featuring full rear nudity (been awhile since I've played it). So you'd think they bump up the rating, call it good and sell it right? Wrong. I guess part of the rules is they can't alter the rating or content. Oh, and according to what I had read you can only submit your game once, there's no second chances. I had read this awhile ago, maybe rules will change someday. Either way, here's hoping we see BoF3 on PSN someday.

Edit: I really wish I remember where I read what I posted above. A little more digging directed me to a forum post on Capcom's forums from Christian Svensson responding to someone asking why BoF3 wasn't released on PSN:

Source: http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...96581/sven_bof_3_and_4_cleared_IP_or_not?pg=6

Arthea

There are several different people surmising (or in some cases asserting) conflicting info, but this seemed most on-point to me from the "Why isn't Suikoden 2 on PSN" thread. This one's about Breath of Fire 3, but I bet some scenes from Suikoden 2 (maybe bath scenes, or Rina's scene with the border guard) would bump up the rating or not pass legal muster other ways.

Your quote seems to confirm that they release PS1 games as it is. I didn't know about rating thingie, though. That seems hardly appropriate to question rating for such minor things, but what do I know.

I just finished SuikodenII and boy, was it AWESOME...! Best RPG I've played in years. Everything was top notch from the graphics, the story, the atmosphere, the music, the gameplay, the pacing.... There was a lot of love put into this game and it shows. Can't imagine how memorable it would have been had I played the game back then.

So, where do I go from here (I've also played the original)? 3 or 5 (probably skipping 4)? Is 3 really worth playing if I don't have much free time?I know that no other game in the series will top II and I'll make sure to have some time pass before I play a sequel but I can't help but be in Suikoden mode right now!

Today, we are pleased to announce our next campaign event; Operation Flaming Arrows! For this event, we're be taking the fight to Twitter with a target that may surprise some of you: Sony!

Sony has long been known having close relationships with their third party developers, and we intend to make use of that by sending them the message, "Please help Konami bring back Genso Suikoden!" In addition to the standard Sony Playstation accounts, the event will also target the accounts of the Sony execs who can help make the difference, including:

Gio Corsi (https://twitter.com/giocorsi)
Shahid Ahmad (https://twitter.com/shahidkamal)
Shuhei Yoshida (https://twitter.com/yosp)

Join us on April 23th for this one-day-only event and help us show Sony the continued fan support that this great franchise still has!
This is awesome, there is not much hope but I'll do my part!

Niahak

Glad to hear people are still experiencing Suikoden 2 for the first time!

So, where do I go from here (I've also played the original)? 3 or 5 (probably skipping 4)? Is 3 really worth playing if I don't have much free time?I know that no other game in the series will top II and I'll make sure to have some time pass before I play a sequel but I can't help but be in Suikoden mode right now!

I'd suggest playing both 3 and 5 eventually, of course! A lot of people dislike 3, but I think it holds up well despite a few minor issues. It all depends on what you're looking for...

Suikoden 3 is chronologically later and has a few references to 2, but isn't really a direct sequel. Several characters, mostly minor ones, return. It addresses some of the issues 1 and 2 hint at, although of course there are no straight answers on any of them. It's also much more complex than 2, adding in two skill systems, character pairings, multiple viewpoints, more substantial armor options... it can be pretty overwhelming coming from 2. It's by far the most interesting to re-play, though, since there are many optionally-winnable fights and one major decision which can change the later sections of the game.

Suikoden 5 takes place shortly before 1, but the only substantial reference to other games is in a primary (Prime-ary?) character who was also seen in 2. It's a great balance between 2 and 3 in complexity, and the story is fairly intricate. It's slow to set up, though, and it will be around 7-8 hours before you have much freedom. 5's maybe a little too derivative of the second game, but I'm sure you'll be able to forgive it. Pretty much all combat in 5 is easy once you know how the mechanics work.

Both games are much longer than the first two games - Suikoden 5 might be a little shorter, but both will be at least 40 hours. Suikoden 3 also has an unlockable epilogue that runs another 5-6.

Personally, I'd suggest playing 3 and then 5. I'm on the fence about which game I actually like more, but I think experiencing the games in order is a good choice. The only game you should skip is 4, and I'd consider playing it eventually if you get the Suikoden bug again once you're done with the rest. It's not terrible, it's just not nearly as good.

Arthea

I just finished SuikodenII and boy, was it AWESOME...! Best RPG I've played in years. Everything was top notch from the graphics, the story, the atmosphere, the music, the gameplay, the pacing.... There was a lot of love put into this game and it shows. Can't imagine how memorable it would have been had I played the game back then.

My is not popular opinion, but I would suggest playing all, if by any chance you'll like Suikoden IV as much as I do, there is continuation in Suikoden Tactics. And playing in order (although not proper timeline) of release always works. All 3 later games are very different from each other what makes playing them one after another even more fun.

suzu

Play them all. :)

3 is decent. 4 is meh, but I think it's still worth playing. 5 is good. Playing them in release order is fine.

Tiu Neo

My is not popular opinion, but I would suggest playing all, if by any chance you'll like Suikoden IV as much as I do, there is continuation in Suikoden Tactics. And playing in order (although not proper timeline) of release always works. All 3 later games are very different from each other what makes playing them one after another even more fun.

Yeah, give IV a chance, if you can. It is not that bad, it's just not as good as the other games on the series. It still has it's moments, imo, the soundtrack is a lot better than III and V's soundtracks.

If you can play Tactics after that, even better.

Thank you guys for the recommendations. I'll make sure to check III before V then. I just saw the intro on Youtube and it was amazing. :) For now I'll have a small break from the series before I play another one because my holidays end and I don't have the time to play another JRPG. I don't want to risk getting bored and not finishing it in the end. I had a one-year break between I and II and it was perfect. Of course, this time it will be much shorter because I liked II much more than the original and I can't wait getting back into the world. Such a shame though that there is no real resolve to the overall story... :(

BTW, what about Suikogaiden? Is it any good? I saw that there is an English fan translated patch but is there any legal way to get the PSX cdrom or am I better off watching the YouTube LPs?

And... Is it me or do those statues in the castle in the Highland capital look too much like the Venus de Milo?
suikoden2__zpsd31280e1.jpg

Niahak

BTW, what about Suikogaiden? Is it any good? I saw that there is an English fan translated patch but is there any legal way to get the PSX cdrom or am I better off watching the YouTube LPs?

I actually helped out with that patch (translated Ch. 4 :) ), so I'm glad to hear people are interested in it! I heard they released the second volume recently.

The first volume, which is the only one I can comment much on, has you playing as Nash in the background of the events of Suikoden 2. It sheds a bit more light on Harmonia, although the narrative is more focused on Nash's personal adventures and history. I'd say the production quality is a bit on the low side for VNs, but I don't have much experience.

The YouTube LPs will pretty much get you the whole experience, since it's a fairly ordinary visual novel that's set in the Suikoden universe. There are occasional choices to make that change small details, usually just adding an additional cameo or two and then going back to the otherwise linear story.

You can rip an image of an imported version of the game to get it legally. It's not very expensive (vol 1 was $18-20ish for me, pre-shipping), although last time I checked it could be difficult to find a copy.

Jucksalbe

Banned
How different are the other Suikoden games from the first one? I'm currently playing the first one and apart from maybe the art design and the music, I'm really not enjoying the game. The combat is boring, it seems you're just getting rushed through the story and the writing in general is pretty bad.
But I already own Suikoden 3-5 plus Tactics and Tierkreis, what are the chances I'll like those if I don't like the first? Playing this, I just kinda feel like I might have invested in the wrong series.

Top Bottom