• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suikoden Community Thread | Please tell me the answer, is fate unchangeable?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I guess the Kiseki series is in a whole different level which is my goal to someday play. My also try Growlanser and maybe Radiata stories too.
The Kiseki games really do seem like a proper successor to the GS series, and it has its own version of Harmonia (and you're actually going to it because Falcom cares). It's amazing how much development is in the first three games alone.

Growlanser IV also felt that way to me as well, but that impression moreso focuses on the synthesis of mysticism and magic with politics and militarism. I loved that game and I really wish it sold better than it did (apparently). Mechanically it feels better than GL1, so that makes it my favourite.

As for Radiata Stories, the only things I remember from that game are:
- the awesome day/night town music
- the voice clips for attacking and my boyfriend getting sick and tired of hearing them and asking me to stop playing the game as a result
- character collecting depending on various points of the day / siding with one coalition over the other
- I don't remember anything else.

...Looking back on it, I don't think I liked RS that much. Granted, I think the last time I played that game was... like... when I was 18 or something.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The ONLY way Suikoden can be revived nowadays is if Kojima himself took an interest in it, since Konami is too busy sucking up to him to care about anyone or anything else.

Which is to say, almost close to zero if not zero already :(

Noi

As for Radiata Stories, the only things I remember from that game are:
- the awesome day/night town music
- the voice clips for attacking and my boyfriend getting sick and tired of hearing them and asking me to stop playing the game as a result
- character collecting depending on various points of the day / siding with one coalition over the other
- I don't remember anything else.

...Looking back on it, I don't think I liked RS that much. Granted, I think the last time I played that game was... like... when I was 18 or something.

It's a good thing that you don't.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sasarai is made out of nano-machines.
Or he could be the Liquid Snake to
Luc's Solid Snake
. Or something.

METAL GEAR?!

inz8W.gif

I know, but you know well in your heart that Konami would only look at Suikoden if Kojima himself take a look at it.

:(
*sigh* I know... :/

What he'd try to incorporate into it with respect to themes and narrative is what worries me the most.

Noi said:
It's a good thing that you don't.
I can't even remember whether or not I liked the battle system. I remember there being a turtle or something that gave out a lot of... something. Which means I was barely engaged with the game at all. :lol

Tiu Neo

Kind of, but not necessarily. On the base level, it retells Suikoden II's narrative with... uh, you've played Pokemon TCG, right? It's like that, so more of the game rests on the card gameplay than the narrative (the narrative supplements the gameplay). I really love the actual cards it comes with, though.

I don't really like how the story cutscenes go because, well, you're generally looking at a static GBA screen with character portraits talking at you, which is kind of disappointing, but I completely get the design behind it. Some of the scenes are different, too. Like, at the beginning, Riou and Jowy run away from the camp, then they find a cave to hide in, then they explore it, and then get their runes at that point (with the "I want 'power' to protect" dialogue and stuff)... before they jump down the waterfall. There're a lot of other noticeable changes, so the game doesn't really go like Suikoden II's story, but it's an alternate retelling of the tale.

Yeah. It's kinda weird. It's more for faster pacing.

Sorry, I'm kind of exhausted. My posts are going to suck a little bit.

Haha, ok, I understood. Kinda want to play it too, I played a lot of Pokémon TCG and Magic when I was younger, and loved the Pokémon TCG games for GBC too :p Tried to play it when it launched, but I didn't understand anything, hahaha.

Sasarai is made out of nano-machines.

Sasarai, Luc and... Sasaraius? Lucus? D:

Suikoden prequel with Hikusaak as main character? (I would be ok with that, actually, but not by Kojima.)

WalkMan

Banned
Dear Suikoden fans,

It's incredible to see the outpouring of support from our fans for the Suikoden series. We love Suikoden, too! In fact, we have several huge fans in Konami's own offices.

Sadly, we have no new announcements regarding the Suikoden series at this time. We appreciate the feedback and encourage an open and honest discussion with you, our fans, on as many channels as possible.

So please, continue to let your opinion be heard! We are listening.

And for those that haven't had the pleasure of experiencing this classic RPG series, Suikoden 1 is currently available for download as a PS1 Classic on PlayStation Network.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151241781396121

So the outpouring for Suikoden... kinda worked.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151241781396121

So the outpouring for Suikoden... kinda worked.
They wrote something like that a year or so ago on fb.

Konami from 2011 said:
Dear Suikoden Fans,

Thank you all for being such dedicated, wonderful fans. Your collective passion for Suikoden is amazing, and is deeply appreciated. And we certainly understand your desire for new information regarding Suikoden.

The simple truth is we have no news of any further development of the series at this time. While we realize this might not be the answer you’re looking for, we wanted to directly acknowledge your dedication.

So we invite you to share your own stories in this post—what is it that YOU loved most about playing Suikoden?

I remember writing something rather heartfelt at the time because I felt like my opinion mattered, but then I started feeling cynical towards the company.

Haha, ok, I understood. Kinda want to play it too, I played a lot of Pokémon TCG and Magic when I was younger, and loved the Pokémon TCG games for GBC too :p Tried to play it when it launched, but I didn't understand anything, hahaha.
If I'm not completely busy this summer, I could just do a playthrough and translate it in here. I don't mind.

*reads Konami's tweets/wall posts*

Put your Suikoden where your mouth is Konami, and then I'll shove my money in it.

Or something.

Takao

Banned
first off, translate the latest PSP/Vita spinoff. then we'll talk.

Konami didn't even localize the last Yu-Gi-Oh! on PSP, and that's a franchise that has had pretty much every entry localized since it came out here. Unless Konami JP is planning a Suikoden: Centennial Tapestry+ for PS3/Vita/3DS I think you can rule that game out.

Tiu Neo

Konami didn't even localize the last Yu-Gi-Oh! on PSP, and that's a franchise that has had pretty much every entry localized since it came out here. Unless Konami JP is planning a Suikoden: Centennial Tapestry+ for PS3/Vita/3DS I think you can rule that game out.

And even then, they probably wouldn't translate it :( They don't care about Suikoden anymore, and I will only believe otherwise when I see Suikoden II-V and Tactics on PSN.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hate Konami so much. ;_;

Please release Suikoden III or V for the Vita, thanks.

Galamauth

Or at least translate the Suikoden collection for PSP....

This is all that i want :(

About that PSP collection...

Suikosource said:
New In-Depth Analyses
Two new In-Depth Analyses, one for the PSP re-releases and one for the demo version of Suikoden II.

I was adamant on seeing it localized or fan-translated but after giving this analyses a glance I see that you would be better off w/ the originals and that community bugfix posted a bit ago. Very thankful to the folks over at suikosource for this.

jRPG

That last statement on their Twitter is a little salt-in-wounds-like for UK fans, we don't even have the original up on PSN. :(

daoster

They wrote something like that a year or so ago on fb.

I remember writing something rather heartfelt at the time because I felt like my opinion mattered, but then I started feeling cynical towards the company.

I doubt most people in Konami USA would know anything about the future of Suikoden, nor would Konami of Europe know.

Hell, I doubt most people in the mothership Konami could even be bothered to remember the Suikoden franchise.

WalkMan

Banned
I doubt most people in Konami USA would know anything about the future of Suikoden, nor would Konami of Europe know.

Hell, I doubt most people in the mothership Konami could even be bothered to remember the Suikoden franchise.

Konami USA doesn't even acknowledge Suikoden at all on their site. Konami of Japan probably does want to continue Suikoden, and I know there were rumors they pushed for Suikoden Tierkreis to be a mainline Suikoden but the director fought back. Plus the PSP Suikoden was only just released less than a year ago.

So Suikoden is alive, just disrespected by all Konami subsidiaries. I mean Konami of America hasn't even bothered to recertified Suikoden to be downloaded on Vita.

Dami3N

just get suikoden 3 on the psstore (us if need be). every year i play 1+2 (around summer for some reason). and i always want to go back and play 3. but my disc is long gone, and the usimport ps2 (also needed to play ffXI) is in need of help to survive.

was wowed buy 5 when it came out. still cant belive that konami dident continue this game, at least as a PSNgame or somthing.

Sweet!Didn't know this thread existed. I've never played a single game in this series and i just last week bought and started Suikoden 1 over PSN...i'm currently at Seika so still early days, but i'm enjoying it so far. Thread subscription incoming!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oy, post about your progress if you feel like it. I really love hearing how other people fare in Suikoden I, even if they don't seem to like it.

I feel like I have a softer spot for the first game than Suikoden II, despite the second one being my favourite.

Is it bad this thread almost has me on the verge of tears?
No. :(

ta9qi

suikoden 4 is the only one i didnt play yet, beside the gameplay flaws, is the story any good compare to the other parts ?
how konami dare not to use this original popular ip :( ! with next generation consoles or even the vita, suikoden 6 can really be something big !

Soriku

suikoden 4 is the only one i didnt play yet, beside the gameplay flaws, is the story any good compare to the other parts ?
how konami dare not to use this original popular ip :( ! with next generation consoles or even the vita, suikoden 6 can really be something big !

Big? With Vita? You serious? Even on next gen consoles I doubt Suikoden would be very big at all. It's a niche RPG series. And it's unlikely that Konami would ever give the series a next gen HD budget anyway. The majority of the dialogue Suikoden V wasn't even voice acted!

I feel like some series just can't make the HD jump like others can and found safe haven on the PS2. A series like Suikoden can still find its place on handhelds though, but I doubt Konami cares much.

ta9qi

^^
didnt mean big in sales perspective, but the performance and the scale of the gameplay..like the 108 stars have more charisma and personality, the strategic battles can be more deep and addictive , and sure the classic turn-based ones with the runes effects..this series has some original ideas and great potential than others that can grow with more advanced devices, my dream to see it in next generation with a story as strong as 5/2.. :(
sry if my bad English was really bad p=

Soriku

^^
didnt mean big in sales perspective, but the performance and the scale of the gameplay..like the 108 stars have more charisma and personality, the strategic battles can be more deep and addictive , and sure the classic turn-based ones with the runes effects..this series has some original ideas and great potential than others that can grow with more advanced devices, my dream to see it in next generation with a story as strong as 5/2.. :(
sry if my bad English was really bad p=

Ah, OK. Seeing an HD console Suikoden would be nice, with no random battles (the encounter rate was Suikoden V's biggest flaw by far...), improved turn based and war battles, a better camera angle with a 3D camera, and more voice acting...

Ah, OK. Seeing an HD console Suikoden would be nice, with no random battles (the encounter rate was Suikoden V's biggest flaw by far...), improved turn based and war battles, a better camera angle with a 3D camera, and more voice acting...
Well the problems werent the random battles but the time lost thanks to the loadings.
Afterwards you can run and this improves exploration by a long shot.

Heartfyre

It's been amazing to see all of the support rise up for Suikoden these days. It's been so depressing to have such a fantastic return to form in Suikoden V, proving that, even without Murayama, Konami were capable of making a fantastic Suikoden game that is true to the heart of the series. I was greatly anticipating what this generation would bring to the series. Along with everything else, we were finally going to see what the Suikoden World looked like in all of these fancy HD graphics.

And then they just stop.

Still, at least there are lots of people who still remember how great this series was. And every time TGS rolls around, I'm always zooming in on Konami's booth, and have been repeatedly disappointed.

Tiu Neo

Not really. V had a higher rate. IV's problem was that it had random battles in towns.

Eh, that was boring sometimes, but I think IVs real problem is that the boat is so goddamn slow. Getting Viki as early as possible helps, but you still have to use it every time you go to somewhere new.

Hey, we're in community now.

It's nice to see people inspired to try to the series from reading this thread. :)

Let's spread the Suikoden love to the world @_@/

So i'm making slow progress, being a parent and the added distraction of loads of snow to play in has not helped matters, but hey ho on we go, i have just reached Kaku so let's see what today's adventures brings us. I'm getting the feeling that the game's just about to start to pick up the pace a little.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So i'm making slow progress, being a parent and the added distraction of loads of snow to play in has not helped matters, but hey ho on we go, i have just reached Kaku so let's see what today's adventures brings us. I'm getting the feeling that the game's just about to start to pick up the pace a little.
Hey, your family comes first.

The game really does pick up after the first castle bit. Even moreso after the two sections after that.

Top Bottom